Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:15:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: v1.3.2 PTS Patch Notes 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: v1.3.2 PTS Patch Notes  (Read 104414 times)
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: February 28, 2010, 01:40:16 PM

I suspect the reason that MMOs are cagey about doing that is because its inherently risky. With a sub you can tell the board "We have X amount of subscribers, so we  are making $Y. If we increase our subs in the next quarter by A% our revenue increases by $B." That's easy to project with, easy to make budgets for. With FTP you are accepting that a large part of your player base will never pay you a dime. A significant majority that do will will only do so sporadicly, and only a very small amount will pay you constantly every month. So you could be rolling one month and completely dry the next.

In short you are giving up certainty and good easy accounting, for hope and accounts based effectively on Madam Zha's Tarot readings.

Hic sunt dracones.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: March 01, 2010, 05:23:40 AM

DDO works as a FTP game because it was designed for that type of gameplay (it was essentially a pve only Guild Wars with better PvE).  DDO is well setup for micro-transactions and paying for additional content which is why it works so well. I know many people stopped playing for it because they didn't feel it worked well as a subscription game nor that it was worth paying every month (even though some of them are paying more now that it's FTP, it's all about the mentality).

Warhammer is the opposite.  It was designed through and through to be a subscription game, and it won't be easy to segregate things into a micro-trans way. 
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: March 02, 2010, 09:46:17 AM

http://herald.warhammeronline.com/warherald/NewsArticle.war?id=1035

Producers letter on things to come which I have to say nothing in this letter jumps out at me as "that would make me sub again".  If this is the bulk of what they are working on over the next year then Id say WAR will still be a meh game for at least the rest of 2010.   
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #143 on: March 02, 2010, 10:55:39 AM

DDO works as a FTP game because it was designed for that type of gameplay (it was essentially a pve only Guild Wars with better PvE).  DDO is well setup for micro-transactions and paying for additional content which is why it works so well. I know many people stopped playing for it because they didn't feel it worked well as a subscription game nor that it was worth paying every month (even though some of them are paying more now that it's FTP, it's all about the mentality).

Warhammer is the opposite.  It was designed through and through to be a subscription game, and it won't be easy to segregate things into a micro-trans way. 

It's worth remembering that DDO was released with too little content (<150 quests) and you could argue that WAR was released with too much, or at least too much of the wrong sort (PVE).  So yes, I'd agree it's easier to add content to DDO and charge for it, but a large part of that is because nobody is really crying out for more WAR content.  What really affects your fun as a player in WAR is the presence of other players, while instance grouping requirements in DDO are far lower than WAR.  If EA want to keep WAR running they need to increase the population, FTP for a lot more than just T1 would do that, the problem of how they later suck money out of the players can only be really seriously considered if they decide to save the game.

Producers letter

our first 6v6 Scenario

Rimshot
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: March 02, 2010, 03:16:31 PM

Been messing around on a trial account and actually the 6v6 Ironclad scenario is pretty fun. At least in T1 anyway.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: March 02, 2010, 07:11:52 PM

I downloaded a free trial account to check it out. I got my shit pushed in by nothing but level 11s in the scenarios. Which is to be expected, it being a big twink machine now, so I wasn't awfully upset. The game looks better, runs way better. I didn't see how to access the Ironclad scenario, though.
Pagz
Terracotta Army

I AM GOING TO WRESTLE THIS BEAR WITH MY BARE HANDS!

Reply #146 on: March 03, 2010, 02:43:23 AM

Quote from: Mythic
One of the most anticipated features of Patch 1.3.4 was the introduction of new RvR weapons. Over the course of testing, concerns were voiced by members of the community regarding the costs of the weapons ... We're now pleased to announce that after a great deal of analysis, discussion, and feedback, we've just reduced the costs of many of the RvR weapons

Two hours later

Due to issues with higher tiers of RvR Weapon currency entering the world in an unintended manner we have temporarily disabled the RvR Weapon Quartermasters in the Capital Cities.

Three hours later

# Fixed an issue where new RvR Trophy items were selling for an improper amount.
# Due to the above issue higher Tier RvR currency was entering the world at an unintended rate. As a result we have removed all illegitimately gained RvR currency. As a result of the fix implemented to address illegitimately earned currency, all players have had the corresponding Tome unlocks removed. If you are amongst the players who legitimately earned a Tome unlock allowing you to earn higher Tiers of RvR currency prior to this issue, we will be implementing a solution allowing you to repurchase the unlock using the weapon you previously purchased. This solution is not yet implemented, so please do not destroy any weapons previously purchased. If you had already destroyed the weapon, please submit an appeal using the in game support tool and it will be investigated by Customer Service.

Ohhhhh, I see.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: March 03, 2010, 08:15:34 AM

Mythic truly is their own worst enemy.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #148 on: March 03, 2010, 08:40:27 AM

Ho.......  Lee.....  Crap that's funny. 
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: March 03, 2010, 08:41:52 AM

We released a poorly thought out system before we could adequately test it.  Now you get to be penalized for our lack of forethought. 

How is this any different from most MMO's, exactly? 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #150 on: March 03, 2010, 08:46:49 AM

Just sad.  Mythic's failures are just starting to add up to "we're bad at this MMO stuff". 

-Rasix
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #151 on: March 03, 2010, 08:54:10 AM

Even though Cryptic's products aren't great, they seem to work reasonably well for the most part.  Same for Eve, Fallen Earth and a number of other MMOs.  They often aren't for me, but they aren't as godawful fucked up as Warhammer is/was.
BitWarrior
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: March 03, 2010, 08:58:59 AM

Just sad.  Mythic's failures are just starting to add up to "we're bad at this MMO stuff". 

Well, to be fair this is Mythic's first MMO, they have a lot of stuff to learn. To contrast, WoW is Blizzard's second MMO, so they've had time to learn from their previous mistakes.

Oh, wait...

Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #153 on: March 03, 2010, 09:10:16 AM

I nearly spit coffee all over my keyboard. 

-Rasix
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: March 03, 2010, 09:31:34 AM

shit this isn't even Mythic's second MMO, depending on if you count some of the old online games they had (i.e. Magestorm and Darkness Falls, the crusade)
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: March 03, 2010, 10:24:50 AM

Some of these companies do get it together, just far too late.  AOC and EQ2 would be good examples of if they launched today in the current state they would be a far more successful game most likely(outdated graphics aside for EQ2).  Mythic on the other hand doesnt seem to be able to get their heads out of their buttholes and in the 1.5 years the game has been out still dont seem to know what to do with WAR.  Again, looking at that producers letter of whats to come nothing there IMO would make me consider resubbing and they are still in fact "fixing", and I use that term loosely.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #156 on: March 03, 2010, 10:49:20 AM

I give this patch...

Three stars.  Rimshot

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #157 on: March 03, 2010, 11:12:27 AM

It's worth remembering that DDO was released with too little content (<150 quests) and you could argue that WAR was released with too much, or at least too much of the wrong sort (PVE). 

Except DDO's PVE content was hands down much better than WAR's PVE content.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #158 on: March 03, 2010, 11:58:49 AM

That's very true but I don't see how it changes anything to do with content and paying for more of it.  There are major differences between the two games, DDO is a lot more alt friendly too.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #159 on: March 03, 2010, 01:12:57 PM

DDO's quests/content was cool, but quickly became uncool when you had to run the same dungeons 800 times to level your character.
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: March 04, 2010, 02:29:58 PM

I downloaded a free trial account to check it out. I got my shit pushed in by nothing but level 11s in the scenarios. Which is to be expected, it being a big twink machine now, so I wasn't awfully upset. The game looks better, runs way better. I didn't see how to access the Ironclad scenario, though.

Pretty sure the Ironclad is a weekend only thing. I think. Maybe anyway. Won't come up for me now either so *Shrug*. As for getting stomped by lvl 11's that's because everyone is raised to 11 in t1 now. Trial actually maxes out at lvl 10.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #161 on: March 18, 2010, 03:06:46 PM

http://www.ugo.com/games/bioware-talks-collaboration-among-mmos-warhammer-expansions

UGO: Can you give me an update about the Bioware/Mythic group? And are you guys working together on current projects like Star Wars: The Old Republic and Warhammer Online?

Ray Muzyka, CEO/GM BioWare: Yeah. There's support going on across the group. It's one group. I'm the group general manager, and Greg's the creative officer. Together with the group operations manager, marketing, there are (general managers) at every studio. It's very much a team orientation. There’s a lot of collaboration, a lot of sharing of best practices, a lot of offers of help. We make the MMOs and RPGs for all of EA. People are really passionate about making them, and people are doing everything they can across different areas of the BioWare group to enable people to be successful.
UGO: Warhammer Online has had its ups and downs. What's your strategy around that game?

Muzyka: It's a really high quality MMO, and it's one of the highest-rated MMOs of all time. We are really proud of the team that did it. They did an amazing job delivering a really high-quality experience. It's been very successful; a lot of people have played it. Right now it's really profitable business unit within my group. I think the team is really focusing on continuing to make sure it's a stable, high-quality service for the fans who enjoy the universe. It's neat because,we've actually seen more people come into the universe which is fun. We've tried some free-to-play models for some of the earlier levels, and I think that's actually drawing people back in. We have new content planned and all kinds of cool expansions for it.

"Highest-rated", "profitable" & "cool expansions" all remind me of "mythic seconds".
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #162 on: March 18, 2010, 07:39:51 PM

All those dumbass sunglasses they were always wearing are tinted a bit rose nowadays. 
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: March 22, 2010, 03:39:44 PM

That quote is terrible.
Rondaror
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: March 24, 2010, 06:46:28 AM

If you belong to a NASDAQ listed company, you have to wear a business suit. Even Bioware is not proofed against that......

Sure, he has to be positive in his statements...but he shouldn't exaggerate.

Profitable business? Only if you do not take the development costs into this equation.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #165 on: March 24, 2010, 06:53:59 PM

They may have cut Mythic so far to the bone that WAR is profitable.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: March 24, 2010, 06:58:12 PM

And profitable on a monthly basis does not mean it is close to recouping development costs, either.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #167 on: March 25, 2010, 02:25:57 PM

WAR Gets One-Step Subscription from Free Trial

Mythic Entertainment today announced that subscribing to Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning (WAR) is even easier with the introduction of the new one-step upgrade method for the critically acclaimed MMORPG (WAR).  The new process allows endless free trial players the ability to upgrade to the full version of WAR simply by subscribing.  Players who subscribe through the WAR free trial will not be required to purchase the retail version of the game.*  (Existing retail codes are still valid for 30 days of game time for new accounts.)

Players can join the WAR endless free trial and experience the new user journey, all of the intense Realm vs. Realm™ action and subscribe to the full version of WAR by visiting: http://www.warhammeronline.com/.

*UPGRADE FROM TRIAL TO FULL VERSION OF GAME REQUIRES A MONTHLY PAID SUBSCRIPTION.   EUALA, EA ONLINE TERMS & CONDITIONS AND SERVICE UPDATES CAN BE FOUND AT www.warhammeronline.com.

EA MAY RETIRE ONLINE FEATURES AFTER 30 DAYS NOTICE POSTED ON www.warhammeronline.com.

They really felt you needed to know those last two bits of info.

I'm wondering if the 30 days notice thing is just intended to cover themselves for all the "features" they rip out each patch.  It's fortunate that WAR is so "profitable", so they aren't in the same situation as Turbine when they gave 4 months notice about closing AC2.  Turbine did manage to squeeze out an expansion first though.
Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #168 on: March 26, 2010, 11:56:18 AM

It's standard legalese. Every MMO has similar language.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: March 29, 2010, 10:06:04 AM

Thought this was funny since my son this weekend drew on and destroyed my art books that I got with my collector's edition.  Both are now seemingly useless in a similar way :P
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: March 31, 2010, 07:11:52 AM

This just out: Dyes fixed in 1.3.5

<sigh> the rage of a broken heart.  Heartbreak
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #171 on: March 31, 2010, 08:51:13 AM

When did they break dyes?

I am the .00000001428%
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: March 31, 2010, 09:16:24 AM

Apparently, Day 1

There were always a few oddities with certain dye colors when applied to certain areas... since you could preview everything, you just shrugged and didn't apply.

I suppose the irony is that even their "broken" system is something I'd love to see in WoW.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: March 31, 2010, 09:39:10 AM

This just out: Dyes fixed in 1.3.5

<sigh> the rage of a broken heart.  Heartbreak

This might turn it....oh screw it
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #174 on: April 01, 2010, 08:36:19 PM

I loaded the trial to do some PvP in the lower tier last night.  Two matches and Order had single guild premades in both.  There's absolutely no incentive to play even at the most basic level of the game when I'm being spawn camped.  I realize there's a whole faction of people that think I'm whining because we lost and if I really wanted to win I should make a premade. 

If you steamroll people that are trying your game out for the first time, don't expect many of them to come back for more.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: v1.3.2 PTS Patch Notes  
Jump to: