Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:02:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Venture Bros. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Venture Bros.  (Read 112420 times)
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #70 on: December 15, 2009, 08:55:53 PM

"he's a lawyer AND a super-villain, that's like a shark with a grenade launcher"

Are we talking about Abagadro or Monstroso?

Shhh!  Don't give away his secret identity!

Curses!

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: December 16, 2009, 11:17:27 AM

"he's a lawyer AND a super-villain, that's like a shark with a grenade launcher"

Are we talking about Abagadro or Monstroso?

Shhh!  Don't give away his secret identity!

Curses!

Would you like a cigar?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #72 on: December 18, 2009, 09:15:51 PM

That was a great ending. Amazing that a show about failure and satirizing Johnny Quest can have character development.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: August 02, 2010, 09:20:33 PM

Just saw a bump that said that Season 4.5 starts up September 12th. Since I invariably miss them restarting I thought I'd let folks know and also remind myself.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: August 02, 2010, 09:43:16 PM

Can they really call it the second half of season 4 when it'll be something like nine months since the last new episode?  I just hope season 5 4.5 is better than season 4, which is the first season of Venture Bros. that was really disappointing.  They can start off by dumping Sgt. Hatred into a wood chipper.  Oh, and more Dr. Orpheus/Triad please!

Over and out.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: August 03, 2010, 08:31:40 AM

Heh, in the bump they specifically said "Less Sgt. Hatred, more Brock Sampson."

-H.L. Mencken
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #76 on: August 03, 2010, 08:59:24 AM

The first half of season 4 was really good not quite season 3 good tho. I don't remember Sgt Hatred taking up that much screen time, but he is definitely the weakest link.     The #22 saga was inspired.

"Me am play gods"
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: August 03, 2010, 12:10:49 PM

Can they really call it the second half of season 4 when it'll be something like nine months since the last new episode?  I just hope season 5 4.5 is better than season 4, which is the first season of Venture Bros. that was really disappointing.  They can start off by dumping Sgt. Hatred into a wood chipper.  Oh, and more Dr. Orpheus/Triad please!

Considering it usually takes them 2-3 years to do a new season of Venture, 9 months to a half season sounds ahead of schedule.   Ohhhhh, I see.

Season 4 was solid.  Season 3 was just so good, that it seemed a bit uninspired in comparison.  The only real misstep was Sgt. Hatred, and even then he had some good moments.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #78 on: August 03, 2010, 04:17:59 PM

I give them a pass on Hatred only because Patrick Warburton was apparently really, really, REALLY busy.   If there's more Brock he must be down to only 2 "reallys."

Honestly, he deserves the title "hardest working man in show business" right now.  You hear him everywhere.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #79 on: August 04, 2010, 08:59:57 AM

I thought the creators said they chose to push Brock to the side because of story reasons, not actor commitments.

Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: August 04, 2010, 09:22:24 AM

I don't hate Sgt. Hatred, but I do think he's a very good joke that's been told too many times now. The entire idea of Hatred is typically brilliant; reformed/relapsed paedophile supervillain nanny/bodyguard, it's just there's only so many ways to swing him, and they've done them twice over already.
Still, he's at least redeemable as a character, as opposed to the Murderous Moppets - who remain the only genuinely amoral/repugnant characters in Venture Bros. They're great, it's just they are utterly horrible in every way - unique in the roster. Either way, the return of Brock is something to be celebrated!

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: August 05, 2010, 03:01:31 PM

I always though the moppets were there because they're so hateable. Fans hate them and it's one of the most obvious ways to make the Monarch sympathetic, he hates those little fuckers like any right minded human being should. Hell the fact they led to that scene where he bitches them out and Dr. Mrs. The Monarch (the woman that justified a holiday for the shift key) tells them to STFU when he's speaking made them worth it. Also last season brought us Neo-Sphinx, Neo-21 and Dr. Monstroso. It was awesome.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Evil Elvis
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: August 05, 2010, 04:21:54 PM

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #83 on: August 05, 2010, 04:35:13 PM

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: August 05, 2010, 05:15:43 PM

I always though the moppets were there because they're so hateable. Fans hate them and it's one of the most obvious ways to make the Monarch sympathetic, he hates those little fuckers like any right minded human being should. Hell the fact they led to that scene where he bitches them out and Dr. Mrs. The Monarch (the woman that justified a holiday for the shift key) tells them to STFU when he's speaking made them worth it. Also last season brought us Neo-Sphinx, Neo-21 and Dr. Monstroso. It was awesome.

According to Doc and Justin, people either love or hate the moppets.  They talk about them quite often at the Comic-con and other panels, because the love/hate reaction at different venues is that strong.  Doc and Justin are both that funny in panels.  It's worth it to watch the panels, by the way... always hilarious.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #85 on: August 05, 2010, 05:18:30 PM

I thought the creators said they chose to push Brock to the side because of story reasons, not actor commitments.

I don't recall hearing that, but I do remember hearing he simply wasn't available for a full season.  I could be insane, it's quite possible.

Excellent.. I particularly like the Spider Man reference with proper web spinners.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #86 on: August 05, 2010, 06:40:07 PM

Looks like they added a bunch of new computer aided animation.

I have a soft spot for Hatred ever since that episode where he went in the jacuzzi and we found out the "H" on his face proceeded down the length of his body to spell out "HATRED".  That had me chuckling for days afterwards.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #87 on: August 06, 2010, 10:38:44 AM

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: September 12, 2010, 05:52:59 PM

Don't forget, starts tonight!

Check your dvr as mine had it as a repeat episode with an air date of last week, so if you have a pass it may not pick it up without some help.

EDIT: Jammed packed ep with lots of great stuff. 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 12:03:13 AM by Abagadro »

-H.L. Mencken
Korachia
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: September 13, 2010, 01:43:35 PM

Great episode, it sure does give me much hope another good halfseason.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 01:45:17 PM by Korachia »
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #90 on: September 13, 2010, 04:30:54 PM

Thought it was a little weak, still great stuff.

"Me am play gods"
Lianka
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: September 13, 2010, 11:05:56 PM

Thought it was a little weak, still great stuff.

There was too much filler (music, unnecessarily long motorcycle scene) until Brock showed up!   Got MUCH better after that!  :)
Korachia
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: September 14, 2010, 05:58:49 AM

Yeah they did cram alot into just one episode thats true. But I even though Sgt. Hatred was kinda funny this time around
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #93 on: September 15, 2010, 06:15:35 AM

Good start to the season. Lots of funny lines.

"So that's what happened to the 7's!"

Hatred getting hopped up on tranq darts and pure adrenaline was hilarious. Glad to see Brock back in some capacity and I love the Sphinx guys. Butter-glider was awesome, even the song.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: September 15, 2010, 09:05:54 AM

Don't forget, starts tonight!

Check your dvr as mine had it as a repeat episode with an air date of last week, so if you have a pass it may not pick it up without some help.

EDIT: Jammed packed ep with lots of great stuff.  

F*cking punks. My DVR didn't pick this up - I'm pissed. Now I have to watch it online or some crap. Grrrr. Time to leave a dirty note on their Facebook page.

- Viin
Korachia
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: September 15, 2010, 01:38:48 PM

Try www.Surfthechannel.com Viin. Its pretty great for watching shows.

Will be great to see if 21 finally takes over from the Monarch or if he splits from him alltogether.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: September 20, 2010, 12:05:27 AM

A TON of callbacks and crazy one liners in this one. This show is just epic.

-H.L. Mencken
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #97 on: September 21, 2010, 07:55:44 AM

Hank beating everyone of Sphinx's test was just hysterical.

"Batman is listed twice.

That's on purpose. Once for Golden Age Batman and the second time for Post-Crisis Batman."

So Batman.

I hated that they had to recast Dr. Impossible. Colbert did him so well, but I understand. The new guy is not quite so good.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: September 26, 2010, 10:54:34 PM

OMG.

"It's like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra sad."

I seriously love this show with the power of a thousand black holes.

-H.L. Mencken
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: September 27, 2010, 09:26:12 AM

OMG.

"It's like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra sad."

I seriously love this show with the power of a thousand black holes.

The first 5 minutes of that episode had more funny than full episodes of many other series.  This season has been a little too self-referential and meta, though...  the episodes don't work unless you are into the continuity arc. 
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: September 28, 2010, 11:20:44 AM

Definitely one of their best episodes yet.  I haven't laughed that hard since last Sunday.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #101 on: September 29, 2010, 05:49:11 PM

This last episode was hilarious. From Dr. Venture confessing to a Teddy Ruxpin to that banter between Brock and Hunter, to Henchman 1 being a badass, to Hank and Hatred's torture game, to the OSI's naked round table of useless villainy. I loved it when the shark guy tried to attack Brock and got hammered into the table. So much funny.

Evil Elvis
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: October 03, 2010, 08:59:28 PM

This might be the best goddamn show invented by man.
Lianka
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: October 04, 2010, 02:41:57 PM

Was it just me, or was that last episode only 20ish minutes?  I was about to swear at the DVR for missing it when I had to fast forward through all those ads!  Turned out, it was just shorter than usual! 
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: October 05, 2010, 07:42:31 PM

Do you really want to spend any more time

However, Hank is a fucking genius.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Venture Bros.  
Jump to: