Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 09:31:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Cataclysm 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 236 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cataclysm  (Read 1274611 times)
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #5425 on: February 05, 2011, 03:38:53 PM

I think he means that when a bosses mechanics are too difficult for most of these tards to grasp, it doesn't matter what number Blizzard buffs them up to, dummies are still going to wipe to them.

Until almost the end of ICC's life, I never got to see past Professor Putricide. Even when we were buffed by 20%. It was the guilds I was in; they always had one dummy who couldnt do the spores on Rotface(?), and beating that boss that kept puking puddles around the room was hell.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #5426 on: February 05, 2011, 05:22:38 PM

15% in many dungeons still wont help you get past those "group killer" bosses.

15% more HP is not going to save the people who keep standing outside of the grounding field on Asaad, or the tanks who simply can not get the Ozruk dance mechanic down.
15% more DPS is not going to save your group when it is full of people pushing 4k in a heroic on a single target tank n spank fight, or who simply can not manage to change targets to the adds on the Erudax fight.

Yes.  It will improve quality of life in a decent number of complete pugs, but it wont completely protect you from the vast amounts of epic fail that still lurk in the shadows of the LFD tool.

Actually yeah, it will.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #5427 on: February 05, 2011, 11:51:14 PM

That is like saying that being level 70 made full clearing old school 40 man Naxx a walk in the park.

KT was still a bitch and a half even with 30 people at level 70.  More HP and More DPS will not allow you to "muscle through" many types of WoW boss mechanics (wether 5 man or 40 man).  15% more HP will not prevent a boss that can one shot you from one shotting you when you dont avoid the heavily telegraphed oneshot mechanic.  15% more dps will not help you kill shit if people are too stupid to apply that dps where it is needed at the correct time.  And you WILL find those stupid people when you do enough random pugs.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #5428 on: February 05, 2011, 11:57:46 PM

The 15% isn't intended to make up for stupid. But it will help the fact that the ilvl to /lfd for heroics is lower than what you need to be successful (as they've openly admitted).

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #5429 on: February 06, 2011, 01:33:50 AM

Sorry, I understand what he MEANS.  I just don't get his point :  how would you like us to remove the stupid from lfg ?

Or are you just moaning about retards ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #5430 on: February 06, 2011, 03:54:23 AM

Plus the thing is, it's not the boss fights that are causing all the grief. Boss fight, you get there, go "Oh, it's this one with gimmicks x/y/s"/DBM pings, ask "Everyone know this one?" and either do it or wipe. Everyone expects boss fights to be tricksie.

It's the sodding trash that's the hassle - there's too much of it, it does too much damage, takes too long to kill, and still requires a modicum of skill to deal with ("CC that one, kill that one first, interrupt that one spell or the tank then everyone else dies, etc). For trash mobs. A 15% bonus on ploughing through all that crap that is a real quality-of-life improvement.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 03:55:59 AM by Simond »

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #5431 on: February 06, 2011, 04:27:19 AM

It's the sodding trash that's the hassle - there's too much of it, it does too much damage, takes too long to kill, and still requires a modicum of skill to deal with ("CC that one, kill that one first, interrupt that one spell or the tank then everyone else dies, etc). For trash mobs. A 15% bonus on ploughing through all that crap that is a real quality-of-life improvement.
I think that if a fight isn't going to be a threat, it shouldn't be there at all.  So trash mobs that require a modicum of skill to kill are exactly what I want.  I don't want packs that I can just blitz through.  Now, too much of it may be an issue, but complaining because it requires some skill and organization seems ridiculous.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #5432 on: February 06, 2011, 07:00:33 AM

Agreed, they should remove the boss fights.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #5433 on: February 06, 2011, 07:35:19 AM

I think that if a fight isn't going to be a threat, it shouldn't be there at all.  So trash mobs that require a modicum of skill to kill are exactly what I want.  I don't want packs that I can just blitz through.  Now, too much of it may be an issue, but complaining because it requires some skill and organization seems ridiculous.
You want hour-long queues and two hour heroics? Really?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Shrike
Terracotta Army

Reply #5434 on: February 06, 2011, 08:50:40 AM

If they're that much of a threat then they're no longer trash. They're "events" or sub-bosses. Needs less of that. The time issue is one of the biggest problems I'm having with this expansion.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #5435 on: February 06, 2011, 09:01:26 AM

Right now the problem with heroics in cataclysm is when somebody asks me to run some with them, my response is that I do not have three hours to run a dungeon with.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #5436 on: February 06, 2011, 09:08:14 AM

I don't think any of the dungeon should be there for the sole purpose of making it take more time by requiring you to do something which has almost no chance of failure, but requires a minimum amount of time in order to get past.  That's what mindless trash does - if I don't have to pay any attention as I clear through it, all it's doing is making the dungeon take longer without actually providing any challenge at all.

If every pull need a little CC and a kill order to make it go smoothly, that's great.  I don't want the extreme of every pull needing perfect CC in order to be survivable, of course, but I'd like to have to pay attention or else things might get rough.

Essentially, "trash" is something I'd rather not have in my dungeons at all.  I'd rather have enemies.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #5437 on: February 06, 2011, 09:13:43 AM

Koyasha, I disagree with what you said.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #5438 on: February 06, 2011, 10:25:15 AM

I don't want CC in 5 mans. It plays no part in fun and only serves to frustrate the players.

Here are my simple rules: no more than 2 trash groups between bosses. No more than 4 mobs per pack. No more than 2 casters in a pack.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #5439 on: February 06, 2011, 10:30:59 AM

Hey, I'm one of the guys saying that heroics need tuned and some are just utter bullshit, but that sounds boring as hell Paelos.

Unless there's 20 or so bosses.  Then it works.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #5440 on: February 06, 2011, 10:38:14 AM

I prefer about 5 to 7

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #5441 on: February 06, 2011, 10:45:41 AM

You're a fan of HoO ?

awesome, for real

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #5442 on: February 06, 2011, 10:51:12 AM

I thought there were only 3 bosses in HoO.  why so serious?

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #5443 on: February 06, 2011, 12:24:10 PM

awesome, for real

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #5444 on: February 06, 2011, 08:54:14 PM

I want my dungeons to require thinking (yes, even the trash, sorry guys). I have this luxury, though, because I have enough people I like to play with that I don't have to deal with LFD for said dungeons. So I can understand the desire to make them boring AE-fests like WotLK dungeons were, and I totally get that on the whole that's probably better for the game as a social thing. I don't think that makes a very good dungeon, though.

Something else I think is pretty silly is wanting CC to matter again in five mans and then never needing it in a raid.

God Save the Horn Players
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #5445 on: February 06, 2011, 10:40:03 PM

I'm fine with trash and bosses in dungeons being 'difficult' (meaning you gotta do X/Y at the right time) with one caveat... don't depend on all 5 people to HAVE to do the right thing, or there'll be tears. Maybe need 2(3?) people to be 'on the ball' (interrupts, cc, knowing when to do damage bursts, good positioning beyond getting out of static fire on the ground) for each run, tank/healer included. That way, even duo-queuing into a bad PUG would mean that you're almost guaranteed to succeed if you know how to do that stuff.

(I mainly pug heroics on my tank DK and haven't had many problems; then again, DK tanks are pretty lol at the moment with 9k dps + crazy self-healing + interrupts + avoiding some mechanics with AMS and whatnot. awesome, for real It could be that I'm getting lucky -- even on my SFK runs I get at least one person who knows how to interrupt, CCers usually CC, etc.)

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #5446 on: February 07, 2011, 12:22:52 AM

I'd be all for CC in heroics if the dungeon finder insured that you got appropriate CC for your random dungeon. Make a CC role*, allow players to choose it if they're not fucktarded (with faster queues obviously coming from doing so), and let that qualify them as CC for dungeons their class can reliably CC. Instead, you have something that's de facto required but /LFD can (and does) potentially give you a group that just can't hack it. This is the same complaint I have with the whole "the ilvl required to queue isn't high enough to complete the zone" bullshit; don't give us tools that don't efficiently allow us to complete the zones.

*note: I wouldn't make this a primary role, but a secondary role (like how leader works) that can be paired with either healer or DPS. To the best of my knowledge, there are no tank specs that can reliably CC (I know druids can root then shift into bear but that's not reliable).

Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #5447 on: February 07, 2011, 01:08:55 AM

I want my dungeons to require thinking (yes, even the trash, sorry guys). I have this luxury, though, because I have enough people I like to play with that I don't have to deal with LFD for said dungeons. So I can understand the desire to make them boring AE-fests like WotLK dungeons were, and I totally get that on the whole that's probably better for the game as a social thing. I don't think that makes a very good dungeon, though.

Something else I think is pretty silly is wanting CC to matter again in five mans and then never needing it in a raid.

We've been through this - CC is absolutely needed in raids, and if you are clearing BoT without CC then I doff my hat to you because I would think it basically impossible. We have to use extra CC that we don't use in 5 player groups to make the trash controllable and easily managed.

(I partly think that trash was created just to show off Ring of Frost for mages. It's so absurdly powerful it seems silly.)
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #5448 on: February 07, 2011, 01:17:39 AM

My experiences in heroics are apparently the opposite so far from the rest of you, the trash has been fine but we struggle on the bosses.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #5449 on: February 07, 2011, 04:39:13 AM

Ingmar, you actually communicate with the group, which is usually guildies from what I've seen.  How many have you done in a PUG?

In that situation the bosses are going to be tougher because it relies on people not making any of several potentially fatal mistakes and having the gear to survive.  Trash won't be a problem because it just doesn't take that long to kill if everyone knows what they're doing.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #5450 on: February 07, 2011, 08:00:56 AM

Once a person knows the zone, the only communication really necessary is for the group leader to say what they want done with each mark at the beginning of the run, then take a second or two to mark before each pull.  Everyone does their job, pull goes smoothly.  This doesn't require a lot of time, effort, etc, and will work fine even with pug people.  It's how I ran dungeons in Burning Crusade, and I ran lots of pugs then.  I didn't run into that many people that couldn't follow directions then, simply by taking the first people I could get from trade or LFG channel.  Announce at the start something along the lines of 'Kill order: Skull, X, Triangle, sheep moon, trap square.'  If I could regularly clear Shattered Halls, Shadow Labyrinth, the Tempest Keep dungeons, and even Magister's Terrace with groups put together from LFG, without an inordinate number of wipes, then the much shorter and faster Cataclysm dungeons should be a cinch even for LFD people.

If people can't do that much, I'm sorry, but they shouldn't be able to get through the dungeons.  They should fail.

Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #5451 on: February 07, 2011, 10:50:48 AM

My experiences in heroics are apparently the opposite so far from the rest of you, the trash has been fine but we struggle on the bosses.
I don't have a problem with most of it, but there are a few trash packs that are just absurdly difficult or annoying. The goblins in Throne of the Tides and the guys standing in the stupid grounding fields in VP come immediately to mind. HoO is guilty of the "too many casters" problem, where it's a chore getting some mobs CC'd and the rest away from the CC targets; the large spam-fireball guys always end up chilling in the back nuking the healer.

Some of the bosses are hard too, but I don't mind hard bosses. They're bosses, they drop loot, etc. Those grounding field guys in VP are harder than two of the bosses in the fucking zone, and that's retarded.

caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #5452 on: February 07, 2011, 12:46:21 PM

The grounding field pulls in VP are probably my favorites on my Hunter.

In general, I don't mind difficult trash as it presents a different challenge to bosses and a more varied one between groups.  (I also don't see the loot/no-loot distinction as terribly important.  It's all on the same route.)

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #5453 on: February 07, 2011, 04:13:06 PM

Why buff players when they could just nerf the mobs? From the sound of it, all they need to do is generally drop hitpoints and the the damage of a couple abilities. Seems less risky than mudflation creep on the players themselves.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #5454 on: February 07, 2011, 05:41:36 PM

I can't help but, for the most part, agree with Gevlon's post on his blog about the reasons why players are being buffed rather than mobs nerfed.

Ghostcrawler wrote "in general, Heroic dungeons are of appropriate difficulty for organized groups, but just brutal on Dungeon Finder groups. ". He isn't talking about Method and Paragon guildruns. The organized groups of casual guilds were successful. I haven't seen wipes outside of autorunning into 3 packs when I ran HCs, despite some of our guildies were fresh 85s who tricked the LFD with high level useless reputation gear. I've been with tank who dinged that day and had 3 blues, rest green. Heroics are not hard for casuals, now it's accepted officially (as most guilds are by definition casual). Heroics are ony too hard for plain M&S.

In light of this obvious proof, I repeat what I wrote: the key to a successful MMO is "boosting", making good players carry bad ones without them noticing that they are being carried.

Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5455 on: February 07, 2011, 05:47:01 PM

Not to mention that after the big DM-Tantrum that Ghostcrawler's post was, a nerf to the mobs leaves him with egg all over his face.  Buffing players has the same effect but lets them stand 'firm' on the difficulty of the dungeons because nothing was changed there.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #5456 on: February 07, 2011, 10:34:25 PM

Why buff players when they could just nerf the mobs? From the sound of it, all they need to do is generally drop hitpoints and the the damage of a couple abilities. Seems less risky than mudflation creep on the players themselves.

Same reason that the ICC buff is better than the ye olde method of nerfing raid bosses: once you've trivialized a previously core mechanic of the fight, it's gone forever.  This method effectively allows a full PUG to "overgear" a place which can help make up for some poor play while still requiring them to avoid and punch the right things.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #5457 on: February 07, 2011, 11:10:16 PM

I love the VP grounding pulls on my hunter. Trap in front of an adept, MD to the tank, autoshot a mob and sting (sleep) another mob. Pop my explosive proc and FD as the tank picks up anything that hasn't been CCd.

Only time it fucks up is if the group decides they want to run to the mobs after I pull, thereby screwing up a perfect LoS/MD pull.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #5458 on: February 08, 2011, 11:03:42 AM

I can't help but, for the most part, agree with Gevlon's post on his blog about the reasons why players are being buffed rather than mobs nerfed.

Ghostcrawler wrote "in general, Heroic dungeons are of appropriate difficulty for organized groups, but just brutal on Dungeon Finder groups. ". He isn't talking about Method and Paragon guildruns. The organized groups of casual guilds were successful. I haven't seen wipes outside of autorunning into 3 packs when I ran HCs, despite some of our guildies were fresh 85s who tricked the LFD with high level useless reputation gear. I've been with tank who dinged that day and had 3 blues, rest green. Heroics are not hard for casuals, now it's accepted officially (as most guilds are by definition casual). Heroics are ony too hard for plain M&S.

In light of this obvious proof, I repeat what I wrote: the key to a successful MMO is "boosting", making good players carry bad ones without them noticing that they are being carried.
OTOH, that bloke is genuinely insane (and hilariously so).

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #5459 on: February 08, 2011, 11:36:34 AM

Yeah.  The first page of articles was enough to give me hives...

Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 236 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Cataclysm  
Jump to: