Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:04:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Iron Man 2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Iron Man 2  (Read 77848 times)
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #280 on: January 11, 2011, 07:22:30 PM

This movie will be remembered as either one of the last movies before, or the first real inking of, Marvel's slaughtering the golden goose in order to create the Marvel Film Universe(tm).

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #281 on: January 11, 2011, 08:43:40 PM

I saw this in the theaters way back in almost July.  I had a hard time following what was going on as I was completely unfamiliar with the story and didn't see the first one.  Not sure if that's a true problem or not though...
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #282 on: January 12, 2011, 03:15:14 AM

Go watch the first one.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #283 on: January 12, 2011, 09:42:22 AM

This movie will be remembered as either one of the last movies before, or the first real inking of, Marvel's slaughtering the golden goose in order to create the Marvel Film Universe(tm).

Pretty much. While I'm looking forward to Thor as an enjoyable experience it does not look like it will be half the movie an iron man or dark knight was. Also captain america would be great if it was purely a world war 2 flick but i highly doubt they are going to stay in that time period the whole movie and will therefore suck.  I mean, I love cap but seriously, a guy running around in a red white and blue jumpsuit throwing a shield looks dumb in real life no matter how you look at it.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #284 on: January 12, 2011, 11:10:38 AM

Avengers priority aside, Captain America, at this point in history, would be nice to insert into modern day times and become an embodiment of the American ideal by fighting the American reality.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #285 on: January 12, 2011, 11:33:57 AM

Too real to make money, Lore, but I agree.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #286 on: January 12, 2011, 11:36:09 AM

My favorite part of Punisher: MAX was, during the storyline where Frank attempts to rescue a child held captive in Russia, Nick Fury beat the shit out of an American five-star general involved with orchestrating an event similar to 9/11 in Moscow as a distraction for Frank's covert action. Nick did this WITH HIS BELT.

That's what I want to see more of.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #287 on: January 12, 2011, 12:13:57 PM

Pretty much. While I'm looking forward to Thor as an enjoyable experience it does not look like it will be half the movie an iron man or dark knight was. Also captain america would be great if it was purely a world war 2 flick but i highly doubt they are going to stay in that time period the whole movie and will therefore suck.  I mean, I love cap but seriously, a guy running around in a red white and blue jumpsuit throwing a shield looks dumb in real life no matter how you look at it.

Actually yeah, almost the whole movie will be set in WW2.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #288 on: January 13, 2011, 11:10:21 AM

I can't imagine how Thor won't be cheesy. But I can hope.

Then again, never a big Thor fan.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #289 on: January 14, 2011, 09:42:38 AM

Honestly I think Thor could have worked as a, slightly weird, fantasy romp through Valhalla ending with Loki finally revealing some great trick and Thor getting banished to Midgard. Instead he's on earth acting all cool and punching people while riding around in a truck. Yes I think it will be cheesy.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #290 on: January 14, 2011, 03:26:37 PM

I think it would be great if the audience was acclimated to life in Asgard, so that life on Earth looks stupid by comparisson. Have all the Norse deities be realistic and subtle and downright human, while the actual humans are caricature and cheesy.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #291 on: January 15, 2011, 03:50:48 PM

I'd been thinking a great, larger than life epic for the Asgard portion with a real emphasis on huge characters. Balder, the Warriors Three, etc. would all just be great fun, classic heroes leaping into the fray and getting involved in huge action sequences. The last 15 minutes would be Thor on Earth and just played really low key. Fuck have his one opportunity to be a great hero stopping some guy robbing a Kwik-e-mart while the human police scurry about scared to do anything, just really emphasise what a shitty comedown this is for him. End with Samuel L. Jackson appearing with an offer he can't refuse.

Of course it'd never get greenlit because big epic fantasy isn't what they want in the Marvel movie universe and I don't think studios would want it. Plus I imagine they'd be really put off by the idea of having the climax of the movie 15-20 minutes before the end, especially if the tone radically changes. To be honest, from a commercial standpoint they'd probably be right, I doubt the movie in my head would make bank and I imagine critics would pan it for having a really weak ending. I imagine the epic fantasy could work though if they picked a semi-decent story arc and had fun with it, not too much drama but guys getting into fights with legions of ice giants and clearly having the time of their lives. Hell make Thor clearly something of an asshole who just wants to hit things with his hammer and can't fathom anyone that doesn't, even if he is well intentioned.

I think the other problem is that they've obviously set the movie universe tone with the success of Iron Man and I imagine they'll shy away from introducing any dark themes. The Ultimates Thor was an interesting Avengers character  (spoilered in case anyone hasn't read Ultimates yet and wants to). I don't think they'll want that sort of thing in the Avengers movie though I hope they at least have some grit to the Captain America one. Personally I'm really hoping for something in the vein of Saving Private Ryan with a Capt. Winters style character who just happens to wear a silly costume, something that uses the early part of the film to build Cap as a heroic figure and the middle and end to try and show his humanity. I think there's the opportunity for some dark stuff there just because of the time difference, as long as Cap is a good guy it doesn't need to be carried over to any cross-over movie.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Iron Man 2  
Jump to: