Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:00:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Iron Man 2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Iron Man 2  (Read 77870 times)
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #245 on: June 23, 2010, 06:07:24 PM

... you want to see Nathan Fillion slap around Scarlett Johansson?

Hawkeye doesn't need much backstory - he's just a good shot.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #246 on: June 23, 2010, 06:23:42 PM

OK, that could be amazing. I'd watch an Ant Man movie with Nathan Fillion.

But he needs a Scarlett Johansson of a Janet Van Dyne, and preferably the Ultimate version of Jan.

Well its not Scar, but Eva Longoria is the rumor for Wasp.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #247 on: June 24, 2010, 11:21:50 PM

... you want to see Nathan Fillion slap around Scarlett Johansson?

Hawkeye doesn't need much backstory - he's just a good shot.

Seriously Hawkeye needs nothing beyond Sam Jackson telling them he is good at shooting shit and he is on the team. Does he even have an origin because I read my share of comics and I never heard of it. According to wiki he doesn't, he was in the circus blahblah ok nobody cares and no movie audience needs that. Making him in love w/ Johansson is a good idea though, god she is so fine.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #248 on: June 24, 2010, 11:42:40 PM

But he needs a Scarlett Johansson of a Janet Van Dyne, and preferably the Ultimate version of Jan.

That'll do. She's a petite spitfire and also equally unavailable as Scarlett Johansson.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #249 on: June 27, 2010, 06:17:18 PM

Saw this in the weekend - not bad. It was a little bit too close to the first movie in structure, but that's a minor complaint.

My wife made the comment that Sam Rockwell was doing his best Tom Cruise impersonation and then that was all I could see in the character.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #250 on: June 27, 2010, 08:13:37 PM

Tom Cruise or Tom Cruise in Tropic Thunder who was so much cooler than real Tom Cruise I vote he be given his own personhood.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #251 on: June 27, 2010, 10:06:53 PM

Tom Cruise or Tom Cruise in Tropic Thunder who was so much cooler than real Tom Cruise I vote he be given his own personhood.

Ben Stiller is planning to make a movie just about that Tom Cruise character in "Tropic Thunder".

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #252 on: June 28, 2010, 05:45:19 AM

Hawkeye's origin in regular Marvel was a circus sharpshooter that decided to rob banks, was foiled and became a hero. Ultimates Hawkeye was just someone who was an amazing shot that was partnered with Black Widow on SHIELD's black ops team /geek.

I don't think he'd be great for an Avengers movie just because the character really is pretty shallow if you're not going to be going into any character development. You'd be getting another Wolverine Origins type bit where you've got a guy who really is just like a male version of Black Widow in that he seems to be some super agent that does acrobatic shit and the audience really isn't going to give a fuck about him. Giant Man and Wasp have distinctive designs (in terms of powers and clear character traits, crazy scientist and designer girlfriend) that make it easy to set up relations and differentiate them from everyone else in the movie. If they have Hawkeye he's going to be an uninteresting background character who will look kind of bad ass and have a few scenes where he's leaping through the air shooting a dozen baddies with pin point aim and maybe a closeup of him shooting the gun out of some big baddy's hand. I would much rather see a crazy scientist growing 20m tall and trying to tell his miniature wife how to disable the giant world ending gizmo from the inside. Even if they can't be properly introduced (if the movie hasn't gotten done in time) they can still just give him and the wife a 3 or 4 minute intro scene and explain their powers to the other team members.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #253 on: June 28, 2010, 03:41:24 PM

Hawkeye's origin in regular Marvel was a circus sharpshooter that decided to rob banks, was foiled and became a hero.

He didn't decide to rob banks, he stopped a robbery but the cops thought he was the thief.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #254 on: June 29, 2010, 12:39:50 PM

Oh sure, that's what HE says
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #255 on: June 29, 2010, 03:25:02 PM

I'm betting they go the Ultimate Wasp route so they have an excuse to include some hot Asian chick in the film.  Always a hit with the nerds.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #256 on: June 29, 2010, 06:03:37 PM

Heart Please!

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #257 on: June 29, 2010, 09:04:48 PM

I'm betting they go the Ultimate Wasp route so they have an excuse to include some hot Asian chick in the film.  Always a hit with the nerds.

... and, again, have Hank Pym slap her round. Pym's superpowers are size control and domestic abuse.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #258 on: June 30, 2010, 11:13:45 AM

And creating autonomous killer robots that go on to commit genocide but also have weird psychosexual obsessions.

and having nervous breakdowns in general.

and having multiple personality problems.

What I really like about Hank Pym as a character is that all this stuff happened organically--it wasn't part of the character's conception, he was just a whitebread superhero-scientist. But as the pile of Pym's neuroses got bigger, it all kind of made sense, and you could even see signs of it way back in his history.

Not sure how you get that in a film, though, unless you set him up as a really anxious nerd to contrast him with Banner and Stark.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #259 on: June 30, 2010, 12:20:31 PM

Rockwell would have been good for that, but he's been used.  awesome, for real

I'd love it if they included Pym and Wasp, but I don't see the wacked-out wife-beater Pym ever showing up onscreen unless he turns into a complete villain. Even with the level of sophistication the Marvel movies have shown, I don't see anyone taking a flagpole franchise character and turning him into a wife-beater.

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #260 on: June 30, 2010, 03:27:55 PM

I can, if they reinvent the characters into one involving a sadist - masochist relationship. The Wasp is a semi-willing slave to Giant Man, and her freedom from his control represents when she stops shrinking and she starts growing.

Just one possibility of many to make these characters palatable. These people are more than their powers and can have those powers be representative of their character personalities and traits. Look at what they did for the new Fantastic Four.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #261 on: June 30, 2010, 04:36:39 PM

I can, if they reinvent the characters into one involving a sadist - masochist relationship. The Wasp is a semi-willing slave to Giant Man, and her freedom from his control represents when she stops shrinking and she starts growing.

Just one possibility of many to make these characters palatable. These people are more than their powers and can have those powers be representative of their character personalities and traits. Look at what they did for the new Fantastic Four.

Do you people even read what you write? Do you honestly think any director is going to spend any amount of time to devote to this or the other dozen suggestions you people are putting out? This is a summer action movie and it is going to be as nuanced as...a summer action movie. You'll be lucky to even get any characters besides the already established movie ones in the avengers and if they do add more, they are sure as hell not going to spend more than 10-15min on backstory. 

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #262 on: July 01, 2010, 02:07:30 PM

One of my favourite interpretations of Pym is that he's actually a typical mad-scientist who keeps trying to be a hero, sort of Rusty Venture type who only seems to really succeed in creating destruction. That said they've been devoting a lot of time in the last couple of years to rehabilitating him as one of Marvel's top scientist hero types, considering the shit Stark and Reed managed it's been a welcome change of pace for science. Honestly I think he's a really fun character with more depth and room for unpredicatbility than some of the others. I'm hoping they at least show spending his time trying to show off in front of Stark and Banner and getting shot down somewhat. Full on Ultimate Marvel domestic abuse Pym isn't going to happen, even if they do a Giant Man movie I don't see that happening, it's just too dark and requires (if it's being handled well) a lot more maturity than any of these movies have shown so far to pull off. Though if they took a Spiderman 3 to it and had him back hand Janet before strutting down the street in a white disco suit I would go see that film for the sheer awesome, for real hilarity.

Like I said before I expect them to be included because as well as being iconic Avengers they've got a very distinctive powers and characters that I think would make them much easier to introduce to audiences, "Here's Hank Pym, he's a scientist and is now 25m tall. This is his hot wife who can shrink real small and shoot zaps from her hand." Everyone knows men need a profession to identify them and women need to be hot, basic character development covered.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #263 on: July 01, 2010, 02:29:08 PM

Downey as Stark does have a great habit of shutting down any sort of ego that attempts to escalate his own.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #264 on: July 25, 2010, 03:31:51 AM

Write up on Marvel's movie panel at Comic-Con.

Of particular note, Jeremy Renner was confirmed as Hawkeye, and Mark Ruffalo was announced as the new Hulk for the Avengers.  It looks like the main cast is set.  Also sounds like the Cap and Thor stuff that was shown got a decent reaction from the crowds.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #265 on: July 25, 2010, 04:22:36 AM

One day it will occur to someone that fucking around with different actors is never going to fix The Incredible Hulk. Unless someone plans to substantially rework the whole concept it isn't going to work on film.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #266 on: July 25, 2010, 07:27:41 AM

Marvel has a really ambitious plan with Cap, Thor and then the Avengers movie.  But HELL YEAH!  If they pull this off it will be amazing.  The thought of all the Avengers assembled and interacting, not to mention fighting some big badass, is great.

I applaud DC for the extremely high quality Batman movies; lets hope Green Lantern comes close.  But they are at least one step behind Marvel.  DC should re-re-boot Superman and get some more DC characters some screen time somehow.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #267 on: July 25, 2010, 07:55:10 AM

The rumour mill has DC considering a JLA movie long term, with a few more introducing characters in between but they're holding off to see how the Lantern movie does. I'm hoping they take a leaf out of the Marvel movies so far and make something close to the spirit of the comic, some sort of fun, actiony sci-fi movie would do well. Not sure what the big problem with the Hulk is conceptually eldaec, it's very easy to do badly but the Jekyll and Hyde/Frankenstein premise seems like one that could work well in a single movie. Not much room for franchising though since I'd imagine the theme would be pretty played out after one film. It would require playing up the terrifying destructiveness of the Hulk quite a bit beforehand though to make those hunting him down look like something other than caricature baddies. As a straightforward summer action movie though, yeah a big green guy throwing tanks through walls is cool but doesn't really have room for anything more than mcguffin story telling.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #268 on: July 25, 2010, 09:08:04 AM

Write up on Marvel's movie panel at Comic-Con.

Of particular note, Jeremy Renner was confirmed as Hawkeye, and Mark Ruffalo was announced as the new Hulk for the Avengers.  It looks like the main cast is set.  Also sounds like the Cap and Thor stuff that was shown got a decent reaction from the crowds.

Of course, take any reaction from SDCC with a grain of salt. Purely playing to the home-town crowd, so to speak. It's nice that Cap/Thor seems linked pretty well. everything should tie together nicely.

beer geek.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #269 on: July 26, 2010, 08:15:13 AM

One day it will occur to someone that fucking around with different actors is never going to fix The Incredible Hulk. Unless someone plans to substantially rework the whole concept it isn't going to work on film.

I liked both of the recent Hulk movies but that could be because The Hulk was my fav growing up (70s) and I'm a slut for a super-hero movie.
WayAbvPar

Reply #270 on: January 10, 2011, 03:38:04 PM

NECRO!

Finally saw this last night (thanks, Netflix!). I was surprised at how much I liked it. I didn't hear much buzz about it while it was in the theatres, so  anticipated it being tepid. Not so at all. I didn't recognize Sam Rockwell until he took off his glasses- that little fucker is a chameleon! And as noted above, was doing his best Tom Cruise in Tropic Thunder impression. I am pissed I didn't sit through the credits and had to go look up the scene on the 'net, which seems to be bootlegs of it.

I am probably in the minority, but I am glad Mickey Rourke had limited screen time. His character was ok, but have loathed Mickey Rourke the douchebag and actor since the 1980s, and anything to limit my exposure to him was all good with me.

Almost felt sorry for Gwynyth Paltrow a couple of times- it has to be galling to be getting to her age and have to share the screen with ScarJo. Paltrow can actually act a bit, but godDAMN Scarlett is just so so so hot.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #271 on: January 10, 2011, 04:24:30 PM

It's a movie that seems to be getting an unfair ammount of revile after the fact. It doesn't even feel that much like a backlash; about the most coherently damning thing I ever hear anyone say about it is that it's 'more of the same'. And considering how much of a breath of fresh air the first movie was, I struggle mightily to see why that's a bad thing, in retrospect or otherwise. I think there's a better movie to come, perhaps, and I hear tell of too much Marvel meddling in the creation of the movie, but I can happily look past all the Avengers references and enjoy it as another delicious RDJ-as-Tony Stark character piece.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #272 on: January 10, 2011, 09:24:53 PM

It's a movie that seems to be getting an unfair ammount of revile after the fact. It doesn't even feel that much like a backlash; about the most coherently damning thing I ever hear anyone say about it is that it's 'more of the same'. And considering how much of a breath of fresh air the first movie was, I struggle mightily to see why that's a bad thing, in retrospect or otherwise.

I don't think 2 was as good as the first one, but I still liked it a lot, so I'm not gonna complain. The first one is hard to top.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #273 on: January 11, 2011, 02:08:57 AM

It's a movie that seems to be getting an unfair ammount of revile after the fact. It doesn't even feel that much like a backlash; about the most coherently damning thing I ever hear anyone say about it is that it's 'more of the same'. And considering how much of a breath of fresh air the first movie was, I struggle mightily to see why that's a bad thing, in retrospect or otherwise. I think there's a better movie to come, perhaps, and I hear tell of too much Marvel meddling in the creation of the movie, but I can happily look past all the Avengers references and enjoy it as another delicious RDJ-as-Tony Stark character piece.

With Favreau walking away, it's up in the air how good the next movie will be.  I thought 2 was ok, but Stark had a much better character arc in the first movie.  A self-centered arms manufacturer who experiences first hand what his technology does to people and subsequently tries to change his ways is a much better story than him acting drunk and stupid because he thinks he's dying.  Iron Man was one of the few super-hero origin movies where I thought the origin was entertaining in it's own right rather than something the series has to slog through in order to set up subsequent movies.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #274 on: January 11, 2011, 02:17:48 AM

It doesn't even feel that much like a backlash;

Rimshot

awesome, for real

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #275 on: January 11, 2011, 02:41:02 AM

The second movie had some bad structural problems. For most of the movie there is no villain, at least that Iron Man is a aware of.

The first movie was similar in that regard but it was an origin story and there was other stuff going on.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #276 on: January 11, 2011, 05:55:56 AM

There are various rumours that both Downey and Favreau were unhappy with having to fit in a set-up to the Avengers movie that takes up a lot of screen time. Nick Fury showing up is fun, but it is a giant stop sign to progressing the movie. If you cut those bits out, you miss practically nothing and the film is tighter.

Also: I'm going to be a total prick of a dad to my kids, but record them a message that they may see 30 years later about how I still love them and they have the potential to be great. And you know what? They'll still hate me because I was a prick to them. As they should.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #277 on: January 11, 2011, 08:49:56 AM

I thought IM2 was ok--I saw it well after it was in theaters. But it definitely had issues with a sloppy story and a less-involving character arc.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #278 on: January 11, 2011, 10:22:47 AM

There are various rumours that both Downey and Favreau were unhappy with having to fit in a set-up to the Avengers movie that takes up a lot of screen time. Nick Fury showing up is fun, but it is a giant stop sign to progressing the movie. If you cut those bits out, you miss practically nothing and the film is tighter.

Also: I'm going to be a total prick of a dad to my kids, but record them a message that they may see 30 years later about how I still love them and they have the potential to be great. And you know what? They'll still hate me because I was a prick to them. As they should.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Well, sure, but I think I'd be a little more well-disposed to my dad if that video contained information in how to cure my fatal heavy-metal poisoning...

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #279 on: January 11, 2011, 05:05:21 PM

A note would have been fine, rather than, "I've designed my entire park around a new element that requires very specific circumstances for you to see it, just in case you have a massive physical injury that requires you to insert a mini arc reactor into your body".  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Iron Man 2  
Jump to: