Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:18:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2009 College Football 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2009 College Football  (Read 130426 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #490 on: January 08, 2010, 03:57:06 PM

If this happens, I gotta feeling Stanford will be the new USC...only smarter!  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #491 on: January 08, 2010, 04:04:52 PM

If this happens, I gotta feeling Stanford will be the new USC...only smarter!  why so serious?

Not a chance. Stanford gets these up years from time to time but they don't have the institutional commitment to turn it into a perennial powerhouse IMO. They'll have a good run though.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Terracotta Army

Reply #492 on: January 08, 2010, 05:40:04 PM

ummm

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4809698

ACK!
 swamp poop

can't wait to see thepeopleofwalmart pics next to that...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #493 on: January 08, 2010, 05:51:10 PM

Not a chance. Stanford gets these up years from time to time but they don't have the institutional commitment to turn it into a perennial powerhouse IMO. They'll have a good run though.
For Stanford it's like the lottery. Every so often they'll find some top recruits with the academic backgrounds to be accepted to Stanford who aren't playing football just to have a shot at an NFL career (unless it's a QB). If the stars align and they have enough of them all playing at the same time and they have a good coach they can be competitive but you can't expect the kind of consistency Carroll nurtured at USC at a place like Stanford.
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #494 on: January 08, 2010, 07:13:03 PM

ummm

ACK!
 swamp poop

Sometimes I hate my state.

Edit: I suck at typing, more so when tired.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 09:15:51 PM by sigil »
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #495 on: January 08, 2010, 07:48:24 PM

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #496 on: January 08, 2010, 09:14:53 PM

Shush. I 'm having some difficulty focusing tonight. The typing disorder is extra strong with me and spell check is not working.
Terracotta Army

Reply #497 on: January 09, 2010, 05:21:20 AM

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #498 on: January 09, 2010, 07:17:58 AM

ummm

ACK!
 swamp poop

Sometimes I hate my state.

Edit: I suck at typing, more so when tired.

You stay classy 'bama!
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #499 on: January 10, 2010, 11:35:41 AM

Just now getting over the hangover I had from Thursday night.  Surreal.  Totally surreal.

One part of me is disappointed that McCoy went out early.  The other part says injuries are part of it; suck it up, Nancy.  Bama had or was dealing with key injuries as well.  There's no way of telling how the game would have gone.  May have beaten them worse, may have lost the game, may have gotten blown out ourselves. 

And the placement of the $30,000 BCS trophy at WalMart?  WalMart??  What the fuck are you thinking, whoever decided that was a good idea?

Key players gone after this year:
Offense:
Mike Johnson (LG)
Drew Davis (RT)
Colin Peek (TE)
Roy Upchurch (RB)

Defense:
Brandon Deadrick (DE)
Terrance Cody (NT)
Lorenzo Washington (DL)
Eryck Anders (LB)
Cory Reamer (LB)
Rolando McClain (LB) - likely going pro as a JR
Kareem Jackson (DB) - likely going pro as a JR
Javy Arenas (DB, KR)
Marquis Johnson (DB)
Justin Woodall (DB)
Chris Rogers (DB)

Special Teams:
PJ Fitzgerald (P)
Leigh Tiffin (K)

All starters or significant contributors.  Defense is going to be hurting for leaders next year, especially if Dont'a Hightower's knee doesn't allow him to get back to 100 percent.  Losing the entire defensive line, 3 out of 4 LB's, and pretty much the entire defensive backfield that includes the best return man in college football?  Yeesh.  If they go 9-4 next year, I'll be really surpised.

Weird year in college football.  Sad it's over. 

Carroll to Seahawks?  Yeah, totally saw him leaving after this year.  USC is, or should, be getting bitchslapped by the NCAA.  If they don't?  There's something seriously crooked at the NCAA.

237 days until September 04, 2010!
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #500 on: January 10, 2010, 03:12:33 PM

Both you and Florida pretty much lose your entire defensive core. I don't think Florida has a snowball's chance in hell of winning the East next year with all their losses. It will come down to either Lane Kiffin actually living up to all the talking he likes to do, or Georgia finding a decent coordinator on D while hoping that their red-shirt phenom QB is actually worth his salt. I think this is Georgia's best chance to get back to the title game in years.

In the West, I think it's still down to Alabama and LSU, and unless Bama drops the early game to Penn State, they will be favored all the way.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #501 on: January 11, 2010, 09:24:00 AM

About that WalMart tour...Not UA's idea.

Thanks Dr Pepper....You fuckers.
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #502 on: January 11, 2010, 10:17:38 AM

The comments on that page are concise  explanation of exactly why our state sucks so damn hard.

Terracotta Army

Reply #503 on: January 12, 2010, 02:29:39 PM

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4820028

I am thinking in a few years, they'll be playing with flags.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #504 on: January 12, 2010, 02:38:35 PM

Yeah god forbid coaches should have to act like functioning adults.

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #505 on: January 12, 2010, 03:01:39 PM

A lot of things will have to change within a group of people who are change adverse.

One could say this goes much deeper, and wind up in a discussion about the inherent problems that American football  has in modern society. If one wanted to start a fist fight, that is :)

I can see a future without American football dominance. No this is  not a soccer troll. Ok so it is, but I'm  thinking more of a fractionalized society and marginalization, as the supply of athletes finds other ways to make money.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 04:29:01 PM by sigil »
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #506 on: January 12, 2010, 04:08:48 PM

A lot of things will have to change within a group of people who are change adverse.

One could say this goes much deeper, and wind up in a discussion about the inherent problems that American football  has in modern society. If one wanted to start a fist fight, that is :)

I can see a future without American football dominance. No this is  not a soccer troll. Ok so it is is, but I'm  thinking more of a fractionalized society and marginalization, as the supply of athletes finds other ways to make money.

Possible. American football didn't become truly dominant until the 1960's. However I submit that whatever would take its place would be even more violent and macho.

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

Reply #507 on: January 12, 2010, 04:59:38 PM

Possible. American football didn't become truly dominant until the 1960's. However I submit that whatever would take its place would be even more violent and macho.

Gladiators! or... FEMALE Gladiators!  awesome, for real

Back to point, does this mean anybody can play football now? Meaning, will this start opening up to women linebackers and shit? Since everybody gets a trophy now to keep people happy, I figure its the next avenue to wander down.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #508 on: January 12, 2010, 05:19:20 PM

Gladiators! or... FEMALE Gladiators!  awesome, for real

Back to point, does this mean anybody can play football now? Meaning, will this start opening up to women linebackers and shit? Since everybody gets a trophy now to keep people happy, I figure its the next avenue to wander down.

You're going to have to explain the logical leap from "coaches can't punish players for getting injured" to "women linebackers", because I'm not following it in the slightest.

Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #509 on: January 12, 2010, 06:56:37 PM

Lane Kiffin to USC. You have gotta be fucking kidding me.

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #510 on: January 12, 2010, 07:25:49 PM

Lane Kiffin to USC. You have gotta be fucking kidding me.

Proof that Lane was not that smart. The banhammer will come down mightily at USC soon as the instigators have  all moved on.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #511 on: January 12, 2010, 07:43:04 PM

Kiffin got a look at the SEC, realized it was a hard place to play, and decided he could run off to greener pastures where you can dominate at will if you understand California players at all.

In other words, he's a horrible coward, and the University of Tennessee (whom I hate) still doesn't deserve this idiot's desertion. Add it to the list of fucked up coaching decisions this year, and there are plenty.

Terracotta Army

Reply #512 on: January 13, 2010, 03:17:04 AM

Gladiators! or... FEMALE Gladiators!  awesome, for real

You're going to have to explain the logical leap from "coaches can't punish players for getting injured" to "women linebackers", because I'm not following it in the slightest.

Well, this has little to do with punishing a player for being injured but rather an overall "can't say anything bad about a player or touch a player in an aggressive manner or else you can go work for the local PD" situation(s) that seem to be rising up everywhere. Once that happens, tackling will be looked at and re-evaluated and a conclusion will be that flags can and should be used for certain positions (qbs) which will then translate to everyone. Men will start quitting and women will have to fill in the gaps. And that is the logical leap you get when on peyote!  why so serious? (honestly, it was an over-the-top knee-jerk reaction to player whining about how a coach slapped them in a game that gives them a green light to violently throttle other people)

And what the fuck Kiffin? Seriously? First time my jaw physically dropped in a long time. WTF? I can't even form the words to address this situation...

edit: Leach should go to Tenn. (gut reaction)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 03:20:11 AM by 01101010 »

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #513 on: January 13, 2010, 03:31:00 AM

FUCK YOU KIFFIN.  Unbelieveable.  This just shows his true integrity.  As a life-long UT fan I'm shocked and disgusted.  I feel like driving down to Knoxville and punching him in the neck.  If he was smart, he bolted town last night. 

So pissed.
Terracotta Army

Reply #514 on: January 13, 2010, 06:02:11 AM

FUCK YOU KIFFIN.  Unbelieveable.  This just shows his true integrity.  As a life-long UT fan I'm shocked and disgusted.  I feel like driving down to Knoxville and punching him in the neck.  If he was smart, he bolted town last night. 

So pissed.

Having some time to digest things... I dunno how bad this is for Tenn. They are coachless at the moment yes, but this was Kiffin, and not Monte either. Lane really has nothing to show for himself in way of a winning record as a HC of any team (7-6 is meh) other than he's really energetic. Who the fuck cares how energetic you are when you are a mediocre coach? Tenn is actually good to be rid of him in the long run. As for USC - its a no cost coach. I truly think the NCAA is going to throttle USC soon so trying to hire a big name coach right now with so many dark clouds gathering on the horizon might not be a great idea. Kiffin allows a few years to be under sanctions with a hometown coach to keep the seat warm until the sanctions end. I quite honestly believe its Kiffin's mistake leaving a good home for a soon-to-be train-wrecked one.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #515 on: January 13, 2010, 06:16:53 AM

Kiffin is a 1998 graduate of Fresno State University. He played backup quarterback for the Fresno State Bulldogs and gave up his senior season to become a Student Assistant Coach at Fresno State University, where his position coach was current University of California Head Coach Jeff Tedford. He earned his bachelor degree in Leisure Service Management from Fresno State in 1998 where in addition to football, he played basketball and baseball.

Seems pretty clear to me why he'd have an interest in a California coaching job... even if he is a fellow Minnesota boy. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #516 on: January 13, 2010, 10:22:04 AM

If they bring Norm Chow back they could be pretty damn good depending on how the NCAA finds.

Also lol at the he say how big and tough and mean the SEC was so he ran like a pussy!@!! RAWR bullshit.   Ohhhhh, I see.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #517 on: January 13, 2010, 10:42:31 AM

So pissed.
Given all the recruiting violation shit he did at Tennessee you guys should be happy he's gone now. His actions that are still being investigated might still bring sanctions upon the program but at least he can't do anymore damage.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #518 on: January 13, 2010, 11:21:09 AM

USC is also a step up the prestige ladder, incoming sanctions or no.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #519 on: January 13, 2010, 11:26:40 AM

USC is also a step up the prestige ladder, incoming sanctions or no.

That should spice up the thread nicely.   awesome, for real

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #520 on: January 13, 2010, 11:36:26 AM

I hate USC, but come on. 11 national titles, 7 Heismans. It isn't up for debate.  tongue

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #521 on: January 13, 2010, 11:44:10 AM

I hate USC, but come on. 11 national titles, 7 Heismans. It isn't up for debate.  tongue

I agree, but you do need to be careful.  Notre Dame also has 11 titles (if I remember right) and the 2nd highest winning percentage in NCAA history but I'm not sure I'd consider it a step up from Tennessee. Especially with today's recruiting environment.

-  Mark Twain
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #522 on: January 13, 2010, 03:32:50 PM

After a day brooding on this at work I'm decidedly less upset.   UT may not win national championships a lot (last was in 98), but they are in the best conference in the country and play the best (Ala, Fla, etc.) every year. 

So maybe we'll be a .500 team for a while longer.  Maybe, just maybe we'll get our integrity back.  Our basketball team just beat the #1 team and the game was sealed by a humble kid from Grainger County who turned down other offers just for a chance to walk on at UT.  HE is the future of UT, not the thugs and ganstas brought in.  At least I hope.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #523 on: January 13, 2010, 04:15:38 PM

SEC circle-jerks always make me roll my eyes.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #524 on: January 13, 2010, 04:56:29 PM

Whatever helps you cope with all the spooge in your eyes.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2009 College Football  
Jump to: