Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:59:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 167 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Tanks  (Read 1092396 times)
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #280 on: July 27, 2010, 11:27:43 AM

So I got me a Hetzer. Upgraded tracks and engine. Which gun should I go for ? Stuk for "massive" damage or Puk for Penetration ?

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #281 on: July 27, 2010, 11:47:19 AM

I've been running around with the big gun and buying 10 or so HEAT rounds with my daily gold.  I haven't tried the other gun at all so have no idea how it compares.  The HEAT rounds do a number on just about anything you hit from the side and will take out most of the lower tier mediums from the front but, reloading is slow so you don't want to spend a lot of time sitting still while you are waiting for your loader.
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #282 on: July 27, 2010, 03:04:35 PM

Got my panther yesterday.  It does feel kinda like grinding when you work for certain tier tank instead of just playing it as  a regular FPS. It doesnt help that stock panther is the worst stock tank  I played to date. Slow as hell, insane repair costs and worst of all I have to get 60k more xp to get it to the place it supposed to be.  I play  2-3 battles in panther then 1 battle with 3001p in order to keep cash flow positive, on top of that  you get lots less xp as you would do in lower tier so that 60k is effectively 120k .

My advice - if you play casually stick with tier 6 and save for month of premium. Tier7+  are painful to play at times. and repair costs will drive you nuts at  tier 8+
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #283 on: July 29, 2010, 07:50:09 AM

Just picked up Tier 6 TD Jagdpanzer IV but had to sell my StugIII to afford it.  Haven't done much upgrading yet, but I think I prefer the StugIII.  The mobility is far superior in the Stug and makes for more interesting gameplay.  I played more of a mid-row interceptor to pick off tanks with the Stug III and could move positions rather quickly.  In addition, the Stug could rotate much more quickly to avoid complete flanking that most TDs suffer from. 

Should be getting a Tier 6 Russian Medium T-34-85 this weekend, but I think I will take the advice above and not be too concerned about getting past tier 6 at this point.  Too much time investment for a beta.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #284 on: July 29, 2010, 07:38:31 PM

Just picked up Tier 6 TD Jagdpanzer IV but had to sell my StugIII to afford it.  Haven't done much upgrading yet, but I think I prefer the StugIII.  The mobility is far superior in the Stug and makes for more interesting gameplay.  I played more of a mid-row interceptor to pick off tanks with the Stug III and could move positions rather quickly.  In addition, the Stug could rotate much more quickly to avoid complete flanking that most TDs suffer from. 

How far can you upgrade it, tho? Because with the default equipment, nearly all tanks are sluggish. I just got a leopard and it is super horrible compared to an outfitted luchs.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #285 on: July 29, 2010, 09:21:57 PM

From the perspective of a heavy (KV3), Stug IIIs are pretty much ignorable when they're in front of me - and I can put them out with 1 or 2 shots, straight through their front armour. Jagdpanzer IVs aren't much better for firepower, but at least they can take a hit or two more, giving them time to approach me from a flank.

Now JagdPanthers on the other hand are scary. I have to be very careful how I engage them, as they can tear me up pretty handily.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #286 on: July 29, 2010, 09:30:55 PM

How far can you upgrade it, tho? Because with the default equipment, nearly all tanks are sluggish. I just got a leopard and it is super horrible compared to an outfitted luchs.

that fixes it up after you max engine and track. also helps to have 60% crew because for some reason you go faster as your crew levels up...
Jherad
Terracotta Army

Reply #287 on: July 29, 2010, 11:09:24 PM

that fixes it up after you max engine and track. also helps to have 60% crew because for some reason you go faster as your crew levels up...

Move faster,turn faster, reload faster, aim faster etc. Crew levels affect pretty much everything - On the higher tiers its worth taking a good crew along with you to the next tank - you lose experience on them as you retrain, but still nowhere near as painful as starting a new crew from scratch. The difference between a 30% crew and a 100/110% crew is enormous.
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #288 on: July 30, 2010, 06:49:01 AM

I got to play around a bit more with the Jgpz IV lastnight.  My crew was already at 70+ as they were transfers from my StugIII and I have all the upgrades except one of my guns now.  The mobility isn't as bad as first thought, but it is still far less mobile than the stug.  However, as Jherad pointed out, the armor difference is substantial.  I took out two T-34s and a light tank on my own while they were trying to wail on me.  I just have to utilize a bit different strategy then I was using with the stug as getting flanked is more of a concern now...especially from better medium tank drivers ramming my tracks then circling around me.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #289 on: July 30, 2010, 09:30:02 AM

I'm loving my 60 mph leopard now. I got the top engine, now all I need is the higher turn tracks and I am gonna be a nightmare. Last night I just ran right into enemy camp at the start of the battle. Got so many enemies distracted trying to nail me (the 14th shot finally knocked me out) that the rest of the team knocked out at least 5 tanks from that alone.

I finally butt-rammed an SPG, just to finish off my kamikaze run. Tank, totaled. XP? 680, mostly on discoveries and occasional pot shots that landed. Worth it, imho.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #290 on: August 02, 2010, 09:49:12 AM

I had an odd thought that given the limitations of the engine and all that, this is what warhammer should have been. Just the instances, make a lot more of them, and develop the player not just the character.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #291 on: August 02, 2010, 12:46:37 PM

God I hate the PzIII.  Heartbreak

veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #292 on: August 02, 2010, 01:50:24 PM

I actually love my PZIII and got rid of my fully upgraded Leopard for a fully upgraded PZIII, just personal preference though. . Play it as a scout. It's a little slower then the Leopard but it has better armor, better traverse speed and faster turret traverse speed. Also cheaper to repair. Leopard is heavier though so much better for ramming SPG's.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #293 on: August 02, 2010, 03:36:13 PM

Leopard has superior acceleration, it doesn't slow down as much while cornering.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Jherad
Terracotta Army

Reply #294 on: August 03, 2010, 12:03:00 AM

Leopards are great little scouts - I'd definitely include a couple of them in a dream team. Sure, I can one-shot them - but I can one-shot pzIIIs too, and leopards seem much harder to hit, at least when they're not traveling directly towards me.

I'm having way too much fun with this game for a beta. Unless they completely screw things up before launch (heh), this is quickly becoming a no-brainer purchase.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #295 on: August 03, 2010, 12:41:22 AM

Are they testing the territorial control part of the game? If it's got some actual depth to it (/laugh Global Agenda) it could really add to the game and make it a good challenge to Eve.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #296 on: August 03, 2010, 04:37:59 AM

Yeah, it's coming from what I understand.
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #297 on: August 03, 2010, 08:34:56 AM

Leopard has superior acceleration, it doesn't slow down as much while cornering.

Ya the leopard does accelerate faster but I found that if I need to accelerate to get away chances are I'm dead anyway. I found the PZIII to turn better but I could be wrong. It's tracks have better traverse speed and it's lighter so it should turn better too. The biggest thing though is the turret traverse speed of the PZIII. I feel I can actually get shots off in my PZIII while cruising past people. Load up with HE shot and you may not kill people but you sure can be annoying. I actually have starting using the manual aim a lot more, gotten decent at hitting people while going full speed.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #298 on: August 03, 2010, 10:47:16 AM

I've found that they hybrid III/IV is a great little tank. I do not run it, but I have been impressed by its versatility as both a scout and a light fighter against the other mediums out there. It is an ideal tank for home defense against the incoming scouts trying to take out SPGs.

I love the top gun in the Pz IV for its insane range, but the turret speeds and the slowness do not let it be an agile opponent against an incoming leopard or tricked out luchs.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #299 on: August 03, 2010, 11:54:46 AM

Bobblehead panzers are an atrocity against nature.  Shaking fist

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
penfold
Terracotta Army

Reply #300 on: August 03, 2010, 12:16:43 PM

Just picked up Tier 6 TD Jagdpanzer IV but had to sell my StugIII to afford it.  Haven't done much upgrading yet, but I think I prefer the StugIII. 

Once you put the upgraded suspension on you can install the top end engine and long barreled high penetration 75 you researched in the Stug III. I didn't sell the StugIII (as it's great) so didn't have upgrades spare but I think you can transfer them between tanks. You still need to find the 4k xp from somewhere though.  I was um'ing and ah'ing over putting the 88 in due to it's lower penetration than the 75 and wanting to save the 10k xp for the Jagpanther,  but went for it and haven't regretted it since. It certainly packs a punch.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #301 on: August 03, 2010, 01:09:38 PM

I'm about to get myself a VK3001H so that I can eventually get in a Panzer V. I don't think I'd enjoy the heavy tanks.

I currently cannot afford the VK3001H, however. Its 1 million dollars!

Jherad
Terracotta Army

Reply #302 on: August 03, 2010, 06:45:34 PM

Just moved into a shiny new IS. Nice tank...

MUCH more agile than the KV-3, though uses the same guns (I still use the 100mm, due to the insane 1k cost of 122mm shells). Also has slightly less armour on the turret, but deflects quite a bit, presumably because of the curved surfaces. The lower profile doesn't hurt either.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #303 on: August 03, 2010, 07:42:13 PM

How are you guys affording these top tier tanks? I see at least three more days of gameplay before I can afford my next medium tank.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #304 on: August 03, 2010, 08:08:17 PM

I saved up for a week of premium starting today.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Jherad
Terracotta Army

Reply #305 on: August 03, 2010, 09:21:00 PM

How are you guys affording these top tier tanks? I see at least three more days of gameplay before I can afford my next medium tank.

Yes, as per Amarr - use and abuse the free gold for premium play. 50% extra XP and credits goes a long way.

Edit: Also, there are some tanks which are just really good for making money. Some people swear by premium tanks like the Churchill - they're not awesome, but are apparently incredibly cheap to repair and rearm.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 09:25:40 PM by Jherad »
Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #306 on: August 05, 2010, 11:35:13 AM

Can we get the title amened  : Finally, I can be a TANK!
Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #307 on: August 09, 2010, 08:21:15 PM

The lack of more beta key giveaways makes me sad. I want to try this.  Heartbreak

Nevermind. Found one.  awesome, for real

http://www.shatteredcrystal.com/index.php/world_of_tanks

You have to add it to the cart and check out, but no payment info is requested at any point.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 08:34:47 PM by Ozzu »
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #308 on: August 10, 2010, 04:15:38 AM

Is there any information on armor thickness / weak spots out there I could access while in a battle ? I keep getting better at positioning myself, but still struggle with hitting enemy tanks where it counts.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #309 on: August 10, 2010, 07:22:11 AM

Is there any information on armor thickness / weak spots out there I could access while in a battle ? I keep getting better at positioning myself, but still struggle with hitting enemy tanks where it counts.

This spreadsheet might help.

Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #310 on: August 10, 2010, 07:49:12 AM

Flank shots and back of the turret shots are what I live for with my SU76 and its 57mm gun.  The game seems to take armor slope into consideration so tanks with angled armor will have more effective thickness than the raw numbers would suggest.  Aiming for the tracks is good for an immobilization but easier to talk about than to do in the heat of the moment. 
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #311 on: August 10, 2010, 09:40:23 AM

Have they said officially what features actually exist in terms of aiming points other than treads and directions and turret being separate?

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #312 on: August 10, 2010, 02:57:17 PM

I want to believe!  awesome, for real

On the other hand, if you could actually AIM for the ammo rack, things could get "interesting"...

Jherad
Terracotta Army

Reply #313 on: August 10, 2010, 05:45:17 PM

I am pretty sure there are critical spots on tanks that you can aim for, besides the tracks. I've had very good luck so far aiming for the viewport when facing an enemy's front - can result in some pretty major damage, though you have to be close to aim for such a small spot.

I can't guarantee that I'm not just getting lucky when I aim for areas like that, but it certainly feels like it is a weak spot.
Jherad
Terracotta Army

Reply #314 on: August 10, 2010, 06:48:16 PM

Hey Bandit, what's your in-game name again? Forgot by the time it came around to adding you to my friends list.  awesome, for real
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 167 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks  
Jump to: