Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:35:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 167 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Tanks  (Read 1092240 times)
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #245 on: July 21, 2010, 09:31:40 AM

Saw a funny on their forums - Someone asked if there would be french tanks, and another replied that french tanks have one gear forward and 5 gears in reverse  awesome, for real

An old German tanker told me a similar joke about Italian tanks.  He said they were harder to drive than German tanks because they had 1 forward and 6 reverse gears.
Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #246 on: July 21, 2010, 10:32:46 AM

This is the first online action game that's really grabbed me in years.  Think it's the underlying tactical layer that keeps games interesting; you have to out think your opponent as much as out shoot them.  Been clicking the next turn button harder than a Civ 4 session.  Once they add the promised clan war stuff I may have to install a commode.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #247 on: July 21, 2010, 10:40:14 AM

Last night I saw what a good player can do with a Tiger. He pwnt 10 tanks and won the game for us, last man standing. The last 5 tanks he took out on his own, everyone else in the team dead. He had to be very cautious and dextrous, positioning the other Heavy tank between him and the 2 TDs trying to shoot him.

Most heavy tank players aren't all that, this guy was the bomb.

Oh, and the 1 forward gear 6 reverse gears joke I heard as a kid and it was always the italians, not the french.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #248 on: July 21, 2010, 10:51:55 AM

Been clicking the next turn button harder than a Civ 4 session.

That's pretty much what I was thinking - "Just one more battle" has turned into some late nights with early rising for work.  Vicious.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #249 on: July 21, 2010, 12:28:38 PM

Last night I saw what a good player can do with a Tiger. He pwnt 10 tanks and won the game for us, last man standing. The last 5 tanks he took out on his own, everyone else in the team dead. He had to be very cautious and dextrous, positioning the other Heavy tank between him and the 2 TDs trying to shoot him.

Most heavy tank players aren't all that, this guy was the bomb.

Oh, and the 1 forward gear 6 reverse gears joke I heard as a kid and it was always the italians, not the french.

Same here, Italians.  Also,

Q: Why did the Italians install rearview mirriors in their tanks?
A: To watch the War
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #250 on: July 21, 2010, 01:44:34 PM

I'm having a blast with this game and I can even see that I might actually break down and spend a few bucks on it from time to time.  As a semi dedicated AT gun guy I really want them to think about putting this guy in http://media.moddb.com/images/groups/1/3/2074/T-28-3.1.jpg if they do the Americans.  105mm main gun and a foot of armor.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #251 on: July 21, 2010, 03:22:08 PM

I'm having a blast with this game and I can even see that I might actually break down and spend a few bucks on it from time to time.  As a semi dedicated AT gun guy I really want them to think about putting this guy in http://media.moddb.com/images/groups/1/3/2074/T-28-3.1.jpg if they do the Americans.  105mm main gun and a foot of armor.

The T28 is intended (tier 8 american TD, the american TD line is not going to be avail on release)

And I fully agree that the tiers need more breaking up. And I don't buy the "but waah, no lights in high tier!" bullshit, because the lower tier mediums scout nearly as well, and if you want high tier lights you either need the tiers to be less rock paper scissors (you can make a fight of a 1-2 tier difference, but not much of a fight around a 5 tier difference..), or make some damned higher tier lights that can compete.

Because nothing spells suck like a match coming down to tier 3 lights vs a heavy camping the cap point.

The other thing that would make lights a bit better would be less instant track loss on ramming. I've seen a lot of first tier mediums running ramming duty on scouts lately, since they're pretty much just as fast and will take nearly no damage from it.

Basically: game is a TON of fun. Tier 3/4 can completely suck. Historical campaigns MAY also fix this (they sound fun as hell)
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #252 on: July 22, 2010, 04:07:04 AM

There's actually been some serious noise about them adding a third tier in the middle to help out a little bit.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #253 on: July 22, 2010, 08:14:26 AM

That would help a lot.  My Tier 3 and 4 tanks feel like fodder at this point.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #254 on: July 22, 2010, 11:04:43 AM

They might have to rethink some other things, tho. A tier 3 TD or a SPG are monumentally lethal to a Tier 3 tank. They seem to be designed to do at least marginal damage to Tier IV and above.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #255 on: July 22, 2010, 06:00:08 PM

Man, I completely outplayed a ferdinand (three HE to the tracks, two AP to the rear) and did 4% damage with a T-34.

The tiers are kinda messed up power differential wise.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #256 on: July 22, 2010, 06:59:27 PM

Nice I like taking out TD's, they are sneaky bastards, just got a T-34 myself.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #257 on: July 23, 2010, 07:00:46 AM

Just a note that I had no interest in this game, but all the kool kids in goonfleet were playing it so during the x hours we sat on an op doing nothing I downloaded it.

I've only played a few games, but it seems like a lot of fun. I don't play FPS very much because I am just not into the bunny hop circle strafe twitch thing. The slower pace is for me the best part of the game. Since I view it as an FPS, not an MMO, I don't really see that there is any grind.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #258 on: July 24, 2010, 10:11:45 AM

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but the tanks you can buy with gold are crap.  Save your money for premium and you'll be flying up their tiers anyway.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #259 on: July 24, 2010, 04:35:19 PM

I have to say there is something deeply satisfying about killing a KV3 with a HEAT round to the side from my Hetzer. 
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #260 on: July 25, 2010, 12:54:18 PM

Got my KV-3 - that's a nice improvement on the KV. I make money on pretty much all matches now, thankfully.

One oddity is the ammo costs. My 107mm gun (that I carried over from the KV) ammo costs 270 per shell. I tried upgrading to the 122mm gun, and the ammo costs jumped to over 1k each. Became seriously not worth using, as the 122mm has only a slight improvement on damage and penetration, but fires at half the rate (ie is a net DPS loss). I have to basically ace the match by myself to make a profit using the 122mm gun (which with such a low fire rate is harder to do than with the slightly weaker gun).
Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #261 on: July 25, 2010, 12:59:32 PM

The 107mm is such an ownage cannon you don't really need to upgrade.  It turns the KV from a credit pinata into one shot death on wheels so suits a higher tier just fine too.  But the turret upgrade is well worth investing in.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #262 on: July 25, 2010, 04:27:29 PM

Yeh that one shot cannon on the KV is insane I got hit by one the other day in my T-34, luckily it tracks like shit.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #263 on: July 25, 2010, 07:17:06 PM

The team determination system is.. broken.

One team: 3 arty, rest medium tanks.

Other team: 8 TDs, 4 Heavies, 2 Arty, and a light.

Yeah, this will end.. well.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #264 on: July 26, 2010, 09:19:09 AM

B 0.5 patch notes are up and the team system balance is one of them items.

Joining a battle as a small team is on a possible list.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #265 on: July 26, 2010, 09:44:18 AM

I haven't been playing this game as intensely since unlocking my pz5. My pz3 seems to outperform it....i think its an issue with my play style any suggestions? I can't even hit anything from a range that isn't right next to them because my rounds feel awfully slow compared to my other guns.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #266 on: July 26, 2010, 10:23:16 AM

I haven't been playing this game as intensely since unlocking my pz5. My pz3 seems to outperform it....i think its an issue with my play style any suggestions? I can't even hit anything from a range that isn't right next to them because my rounds feel awfully slow compared to my other guns.

I have the same issues wrapping my head around my T-34. Perfect shot against a stationary target, 5 misses and I can't fathom where the rounds went. The I take a shot a good 2 seconds before a friendly will enter my firing lane, and 2 seconds later, TK at medium range. And a 150ms ping :(

It feels less like the cannon and more like the game, unless medium tank rounds travel at sub heavy tank speeds.
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #267 on: July 26, 2010, 11:06:21 AM

Use autoaim at distance.  Its really warpy and only autoaim deals with it semi reliably. At close I switch to manual (because strangely enough autoaim sucks at close)
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #268 on: July 26, 2010, 11:15:42 AM

Use autoaim at distance.  Its really warpy and only autoaim deals with it semi reliably. At close I switch to manual (because strangely enough autoaim sucks at close)
I use it at a distance, i hate to though, i mean i feel i'm a pretty reliable shot at a distance if i can gauge the travel time of my shell, bullet drop and velocity of target. Which is something that bugs me since the shell speed is always off unless i'm using the highest tier gun available it seems. yeah auto aim at close range is not only incredible bad but down right retarded since it always picks the areas where shell bounce off is most likely to occur. Its a  ACK! moment when you see a light tank tank a 75mm round from your medium tier 5 tank when my a-20 with manual aiming can put a shell halfway through the same light tank in one shot....
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #269 on: July 26, 2010, 01:07:47 PM

Well, the higher end medium tanks are a compromise. Heavier armor, higher penetration at the sacrifice of speed and mobility combined with slower loading times for ammo. Its perfectly acceptable to me to go back and just specialize in light tank warfare. A player in a Leopard that knows what he's doing can be a complete nightmare for the enemy's rearguard.

I play my Panzer V as a support vehicle. I do not rush the front. I stay midway, try to pick off scouts, but in general, I'm playing a cat and mouse game with TDs and other slower tanks. They are ideal at whiddling away at the heavy tanks, since they are comparatively faster.

Another mistake is assuming that the higher penetration guns are better. The turret speeds go down, and although sure, now you can probably penetrate that JagdPanzer from the front, you still ain't gonna win that battle head on.

Its an interesting game that way. I've gone back to the first type of turret and equipped the top gun for that turret rather than taking the heavier slower turret and giving myself the biggest gun, simply because that particular turn I wanted to play scout killer rather than TD hunter.

DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #270 on: July 26, 2010, 01:24:01 PM

Well, the higher end medium tanks are a compromise. Heavier armor, higher penetration at the sacrifice of speed and mobility combined with slower loading times for ammo. Its perfectly acceptable to me to go back and just specialize in light tank warfare. A player in a Leopard that knows what he's doing can be a complete nightmare for the enemy's rearguard.

I play my Panzer V as a support vehicle. I do not rush the front. I stay midway, try to pick off scouts, but in general, I'm playing a cat and mouse game with TDs and other slower tanks. They are ideal at whiddling away at the heavy tanks, since they are comparatively faster.

Another mistake is assuming that the higher penetration guns are better. The turret speeds go down, and although sure, now you can probably penetrate that JagdPanzer from the front, you still ain't gonna win that battle head on.

Its an interesting game that way. I've gone back to the first type of turret and equipped the top gun for that turret rather than taking the heavier slower turret and giving myself the biggest gun, simply because that particular turn I wanted to play scout killer rather than TD hunter.

I hate the trade off currently, i mean i wanted a change of pace but jesus sniping off the 1-2 light tanks(and having to use auto-aim to even do that) that are brave enough to do their jobs verses being instant gibbed the minute a td lines his gun to the front of your armor? I traded speed and maneuverability for a tiny bit more armor, health and a crappier gun...i'm looking forward to the vk but unless i find some niche i'm happy with the pz5 is getting sold as scrap and i'm going back to gold farming with my 3 light tanks and pz3.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 03:18:47 PM by DLRiley »
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #271 on: July 26, 2010, 02:06:45 PM

My issue with the Mediums isn't the reload speed (though it IS slow), it's that the projectile speed seems.. wrong for a high velocity tank shell. It feels like I'm shooting with a 900ms ping, or just flat out shooting something that isn't there at long enough ranges (the HE round doesn't land, no explosion behind the target to say it missed and hit HERE, it just feels like the shot... didn't ever register to the server)

This is only recent for me. Prior weeks of the beta, shooting has seemed fine to me. But the minute I got my T-34, it feels like projectiles aren't behaving right at all.

As for TDs: I'm fine with them being lethal (with a little more bracketing in the future, please!), but the Ferd is just ... silly. Medium tanks can't even penetrate their armor from behind. That's a little overboard, even if it WAS a mean tank in reality.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #272 on: July 26, 2010, 02:59:37 PM

Not sure what gun you are using on the T-34 but you should use the 57mm ZiS, not the bigger 76mm that gun is terrible. Not sure what you saying about the Ferdinand it only has 80mm armour from behind & the majority of medium tanks have a gun that can handle that, sounds like you are setting your tanks up wrong. Also note the 100% crew really affects how your tank performs, SPGs go from impossible to play to awesome when the crew reach 100%.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #273 on: July 26, 2010, 03:02:42 PM

I've had some wierd aiming issues latetly too. Shots I could have sworn were a hit are a miss, and then a shot that looks like would be entirely off the mark 2  reports that I've obliterated the target.

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #274 on: July 26, 2010, 05:07:30 PM

Not sure what gun you are using on the T-34 but you should use the 57mm ZiS, not the bigger 76mm that gun is terrible. Not sure what you saying about the Ferdinand it only has 80mm armour from behind & the majority of medium tanks have a gun that can handle that, sounds like you are setting your tanks up wrong. Also note the 100% crew really affects how your tank performs, SPGs go from impossible to play to awesome when the crew reach 100%.

80mm at anything other than a direct 90% hit pretty much means "anything under tier 7 go home" due to attack angles and penetration. You're going to bounce, bounce, bounce the day away. Plus, they all seem to throw the +15% armor on the ferds.

Anywho, terrible gun or no, me stationary, enemy stationary, "miss" radius icon completely within the tank... miss. That's my issue lately. I can handle "my aim is bad on moving targets", but I think something's amiss when what was a trivial shot in recruit tier becomes "where did that shell even LAND?" on my t-34.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #275 on: July 27, 2010, 05:23:09 AM

I have similar armor on my VK3601 as a Ferdinand and TIV/V tanks penetrate that what feels about 80% of the time. In fact I got one shotted by a PZIV yesterday with HE ammo, my tank went on fire and just crumbled. T-34 can penetrate 112armor with the 57mm gun.

Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #276 on: July 27, 2010, 08:04:48 AM

I wonder how many team kills happen because people don't know they can change the round loaded in their gun by hitting the ammo button twice? I've been hit a couple times by guys who fired to change their loaded round just as I rolled in front of them at the start of the game.  The game would definitely benefit from a short tutorial on how to handle your tank. 
Jherad
Terracotta Army

Reply #277 on: July 27, 2010, 08:16:09 AM

Just played a game in my little backup T-28, and I decided to watch after I died to see how the Ferdinand on our team did - he was taken apart pretty easily by a Leopard, and Pz III/IV with HE running circles.

Without support, big vehicles always lose to a pair of smaller agile vehicles given similar skill, close range (with room to maneuver), and HE shells. Catch fire, and it's all over but the singing.

Fakeedit: Is THAT what they're doing Tmon? Sheesh yeah, I've seen that a few times - I'd always assumed people were messing around, playing 'kill the Leichttraktor'.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #278 on: July 27, 2010, 09:39:43 AM

That or HE rounds are overpowered currently.
Jherad
Terracotta Army

Reply #279 on: July 27, 2010, 10:29:11 AM

Well, yeah. I'd argue that they are, somewhat. I wouldn't want them to be completely toned down, but I think they could use a little adjustment. Make the smaller tanks work a little more for their big kill.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 167 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks  
Jump to: