Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:37:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 167 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Tanks  (Read 1092193 times)
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #210 on: July 18, 2010, 06:32:28 AM

My attempts at scouting in normal matches (with a bt-7 as I get the cash for an A-20) usually wind up with lucky hits from random tanks taking me out, or an SPG kill here and there.

Yesterday I had a low tier medium apparently trying to scout with me, so as I weave past the side heavies, I see two TDs lining up on me, something damages my treads minorly from behind, and I decide to bust a hard right into some houses to avoid the obviously easy TD shots incoming.

Get rammed hard in the side by said friendly medium who was following my route WAY too close at high speed :(
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #211 on: July 18, 2010, 10:38:55 AM

Tier III is the worst in the game. Even the newbie tanks are better, mainly because you get cheap upgrades quickly and go from a 10mph tin coffin to a 30mph...tin coffin but with teeth. Get past the "first medium tank" stage ASAP.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #212 on: July 18, 2010, 10:42:11 AM

I created a channel called 'Bat Country', password is 'robots' if people want to hang out. We're doin countdowns so we (3 of us atm) usually all get in the same game.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #213 on: July 18, 2010, 11:09:00 AM

We're doin countdowns so we (3 of us atm) usually all get in the same game.

How does this work?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #214 on: July 18, 2010, 11:13:30 AM

Hop in the chat channel Bat Country, it's important to use a capital B and capital C and my handle is BlindSide. Then I just countdown from 5 and we all click at the same time, usually gets everybody in. Works better over voice comms.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #215 on: July 18, 2010, 12:21:19 PM

I'm leveling up my Luchs right now with a single engine upgrade.  It's very slow going.  The tank takes forever to get up to 60mph.  I'm also leveling up the tank in the normal line also.

So little experience per battle.  I can't get out into the field to scout because I move so slow.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #216 on: July 18, 2010, 01:30:12 PM

Its grindy when you start the med tanks. Took me lots of playtime in the pII Aug, then a bunch more in the PIII. Now I finally have a PIV, but its got mostly PIII newb parts, so its just hellish to turn and my firepower still blows chunks. Gonna be a LONG slog before I can get the big guns.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #217 on: July 18, 2010, 02:01:28 PM

My attempts at scouting in normal matches (with a bt-7 as I get the cash for an A-20) usually wind up with lucky hits from random tanks taking me out, or an SPG kill here and there.

Yesterday I had a low tier medium apparently trying to scout with me, so as I weave past the side heavies, I see two TDs lining up on me, something damages my treads minorly from behind, and I decide to bust a hard right into some houses to avoid the obviously easy TD shots incoming.

Get rammed hard in the side by said friendly medium who was following my route WAY too close at high speed :(

Can I ask a question, assuming your engine and tracks are maxed; How do you scout, do you flank, follow another light tank, etc?

Ok my leet scouting is simply this; charge through the middle. What noob you gotta flank you fucking scrub. The problem with flanking is multi facet.

1. You out run the td's and mediums/heavies with the guns capable of sniping out the guys you spot in the first place when you flank. Especially on maps that aren't straight forward, what I mean is that there is a mountain dividing the map or something similar.

2.TD"s, mediums and heavies always see you before you see them, their site range is better than your own. This alone doesn't mean flanking is bad but consider this, most of the time if you notice your team doesn't evenly spread out. Usually there are strong sides (areas where most of your team is heading) and weak sides (maybe a td/heavy tank or 2 with a medium or light tank is heading up that side). Now on  some maps you can kinda guess which side is the strong side, for example lakeville (or something like that) has a town on one side, a narrow mountain hilly path on the other side and a super narrow mountain-and-cliff middle. Needless to say most sane people choose to go through the town. This map is notoriously bad for light tanks for 2 reasons. One you the only other choices you have are 2 narrow/hilly paths that greatly reduce your speed and the second reason is that your always funneled to the enemies strong side.

Why the strong side is bad? Your a scout remember the more red dots the better? Right in goal, wrong in practice. Consider this, they can you see before you see them, before your radio can send back their positions, if they see you that means everyone sees you. that means you have as many as 10 guns aiming at you way before you even spotted one of them. You can count on 2 people missing 70mph, you can count on 3-4 people not getting any significant shots in when they first see you at a distance. But 10 people shooting at you from 10 different angles? Tracks down, engine failure, we're on fire, explosion. All this before you see even one dot. Hell if their team is smart they would stop advancing for a second to let your radio stop transmitting. So you just died, your team didn't see shit, and now you've gained exactly 200 cash for your effort bravo.

3. 1 out of 3 times you can manage significantly scouting the 10 tanks coming from the right. But that's luck on your part, you don't have the armor or the health to take that much damage from that number of light tanks hitting you at once, let alone that number in mediums, heavies, and td's spamming 50-100 caliber shots (and won't you see the people doing it and hence die in vain). The middle is perfect for the scout;
  •  No guessing which side is the strong side, I can count of at most 5 people still holding the middle ground, since the number of angels the shells are coming from is drastically reduced the chance of track failure is also reduced (however since your armor is still shit, you can easily be taken out by a big ass td gun, be sure to maneuver after you spot it, reason being you can make him miss, and even if he hits you before you see him the shot is going to hit the front plate most likely and not the side or a track where there is less armor and more importantly increase chance of track failure.).
  • My spg's rarely flank or move very far from the middle.
  • Since you can actually make it the end of the map alive sometimes, it allows you to either A. flank the tanks still fighting your friendly tanks or start capping and force the bigger guns off the frontline. Don't be mistaken most of the time you do die, but you its usually after scouting 1/3 of their team and/or pulling people away from the active fronts. You would be surprised how many mediums would tear away from the pack to deal with only and end up losing the game because they made their strong side significantly weaker.

I'm leveling up my Luchs right now with a single engine upgrade.  It's very slow going.  The tank takes forever to get up to 60mph.  I'm also leveling up the tank in the normal line also.

So little experience per battle.  I can't get out into the field to scout because I move so slow.

the luch gets better but...it plays like a medium tank without the guns, armor, or even the pzIII speed...overall your only real chance is to hug a small contingent of medium tanks and td's and use your speed to help draw some fire while the td's do all the work. you can do some effective light tank hunting but stay away from a-20 and leo. Eventually the luch gets enough speed to actually scout as you level the crew but he is a poor one due to speed. I got pretty good with it but sold it for a medium tank pronto.

Medium tanks seem to get more experience per battle, i think that is due to staying in the fight longer than anything.

I created a channel called 'Bat Country', password is 'robots' if people want to hang out. We're doin countdowns so we (3 of us atm) usually all get in the same game.

You guys use vent?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 02:05:20 PM by DLRiley »
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #218 on: July 18, 2010, 02:07:54 PM

I just want to buy armored plates for my tracks. Seriously, missed arty is the leading cause of dead BTs.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #219 on: July 18, 2010, 02:12:01 PM

The point of scouting from the flank is pretty much that if I don't outrun my support too badly (sit and wait a bit if you are), you wind up with a lot of TDs turned to face you, and taking a TD round to the side/back. Basically, people spend more time trying to hit the crazy scout than the dangerous targets just out of sight range.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #220 on: July 18, 2010, 02:32:43 PM

I just want to buy armored plates for my tracks. Seriously, missed arty is the leading cause of dead BTs.

I would to but the cost would be ridiculous, can you imagine how much they would charge to give tracks 75mm round protection? My number one cause of death as a bt-7 is a td round entering one side of my tank and exiting the other side.

The point of scouting from the flank is pretty much that if I don't outrun my support too badly (sit and wait a bit if you are), you wind up with a lot of TDs turned to face you, and taking a TD round to the side/back. Basically, people spend more time trying to hit the crazy scout than the dangerous targets just out of sight range.

The only problem is, that at best your going to see 2-3 targets, at worse your dead by the 4th target. At that point you no longer gain points for scouting because the mediums behind you have better site range. Also constantly reducing your speed just nets you a td round. After playing several rounds as a medium tank, i'm much better suited for flanking, flanking doesn't mean you walk to the far side of the map encountering no resistance than magically behind td's and artillery. Some maps encourage large parts of your army hitting large parts of their army, in which case your little armor little health is going to net you a death without gaining any points for it. I reckon I die more from people missing/spamming than people actually aiming for me when i'm part of the big flank party. Mostly because i'm upfront and random 100mm round will instant gib me. As a medium more armor means more resistance to spam, bigger gun means i can fight back. Fighting back is the epic flaw of the light tank, especially the bt-7, a light tank can't fight back in a big fight dominated by mediums and heavies in front with very little chance of being just fast enough to hit their sides or back. Historically light tanks stopped being made a long time ago for that reason lolz.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #221 on: July 18, 2010, 04:39:21 PM

Is there any reliable way to hit a moving target ? I can't for the live of me figure out how you "lead" in this game. Those pesky light tanks are damm hard to hit and don't even get me started about engaging medium tanks.

Which reminds me...

I also think that the first medium tanks are really hard to play with. Everything seems to have better armor than me. With 1 russian and 1 german tank, I barley scrape together 1k credits per game (after deducting costs for repairs/rebuilding my tank from scratch).

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Ratadm
Terracotta Army

Reply #222 on: July 18, 2010, 04:48:02 PM

So I got the Hummel and I have to say its great except for the fact that every light tank and fast med tank feels like it's hunting me.  Also $1000 a shell kind of stings.

The first german med tank is interesting to play, I generally use it like something between a scout and anti scout/artillery.  Nothing quite like taking out those small tanks that annoy me so much oh my spg.

I've also come to hate the leopard with burning passion.  They're fast, accurate and do great damage and even give my med tank problems with bounces and are a nightmare on my spgs.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #223 on: July 18, 2010, 04:52:56 PM

Next question... ( awesome, for real )

Which weapon should one pick ? Always the biggest caliber ? Best penetration ? Reload time ?

Hoth
Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: July 18, 2010, 05:39:25 PM

Depending on your current role on the battlefield I would say. If you play tier 5+ and try to mess with the heavies I would recommend getting the gun with the highest penetration and damage possible to even have a chance to damage behemoths like Tiger II or Ferdinand.

If you plan on hunting down SPG with a lighter tank, like BT-7 or LeopardLuchs, you maybe want a gun that hits often and reliable for these fast strafingruns through the opposite startingzone.

You can see the stats of the tanks by doubleklicking on then when in the techtree, just take a look how much penetration you need to go for your designated target and choose the appropriate weapon for the job.  And if you encounter a target your gun can't penetrate, use HE ammunition and aim for the tracks. The splash of the HE can do severe damage to internal systems even though the ammo can't go through the armor.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 05:44:14 PM by Hoth »
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: July 18, 2010, 05:53:07 PM

Oh so that what HE rounds are for lolz.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #226 on: July 18, 2010, 05:57:45 PM

Sound advice. A shame that I am at work right now. (Damm nightshifts)

Hoth
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: July 18, 2010, 06:03:44 PM

They are pretty good versus squishy targets like the russian SPGs with their open gunner areas on top too. Just pump a few rounds of HE with a flakcannon into these and they go down fast and easy. No need for a big cannon.
HE also causes all sorts of "debuffs" like crewdamage and broken internal systems. If something hits you and you get multiple systemfailures it was most likely HE, if a hit just chews away a big portion of your health it's AP.
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #228 on: July 18, 2010, 06:08:55 PM

Currently playing in a fully upgraded KV, working towards raising the (insane) cash for a KV-3. What is slightly irksome at the moment is that some higher tier tanks are just flat out worse than their predecessor.

My KV is worse than my T-28. Their crew training is about the same (low 80s), both have full grades, and though the KV has the edge on penetration and damage, and slightly better armour, its reduced speed, agility and turret turn speed is too much of a penalty. Still just treading water financially with the KV (repair and ammo costs are huge), whilst I make good returns on the T28. Hoping for something special with the KV-3.

Addictive game though - I hope premades and random pugs are kept seperate come live.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #229 on: July 18, 2010, 06:16:56 PM

Playing a Augf A and a Luch and this game become terrible.  I can't penetrate any armor and I often get 1-2 shotted. 
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #230 on: July 18, 2010, 07:24:02 PM

Playing a Augf A and a Luch and this game become terrible.  I can't penetrate any armor and I often get 1-2 shotted. 

Get out of tier 3 asap. They're all terrible. Keep playing alternatively with your recruit tank for fun, and extra cash - as soon as you can make the jump to tier 4, things become fun again. Yes, I know, that's a bad design.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #231 on: July 18, 2010, 07:28:11 PM

The BT-7 and Luchs have slightly better mobility than the A-20 and Leopard, but the Leopard and A-20 have guns that can do damage and a bit of armour. I just used Gold to exchange XP to skip to the Leopard.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 07:33:03 PM by Amarr HM »

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #232 on: July 18, 2010, 08:43:30 PM

I think it was Hoth that was saying that a mid-tier grouping is in the works, which makes sense. The path from tier 3 to tier 5 is a road of humiliation and tears, mixed in with a 'omg, I manage to survive' moments.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #233 on: July 19, 2010, 06:04:52 AM

I just converted all of my gold to get a Leopard.  Gonna play that tank with my Ausf A.  It'll be a few days until I can get the first medium tank.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #234 on: July 19, 2010, 06:42:04 AM

I just converted all of my gold to get a Leopard.  Gonna play that tank with my Ausf A.  It'll be a few days until I can get the first medium tank.

Just bought my tier 6 medium tank PIV  DRILLING AND MANLINESS. I forgot it wasn't a light tank so at 40mph i was the first thing the enemy saw  awesome, for real. Spent 100,000 on crew training.
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #235 on: July 19, 2010, 08:13:08 AM

This game has consumed me....I love it.

Just picked-up an A-20 late last night, but I have been mostly slugging through with my TD Hertzer.

A lot of the charm from this game for me is the quick turn-around to get into a battle, and back in a battle.  No more than a minute to login and join a battle, and after dying...exit battle, choose tank and fighting in a another minute.  Obviously a critical mass of users needed for this to continue.  I think the entire weekend there was always about 1,500 to 2,000 users online.

How long does this beta last?
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #236 on: July 19, 2010, 09:17:07 AM

The Su-26 wins the arty vote for me, in most games I can own the field once I get some form of protection or get some good shots on the fast scouts and take em out early.

Few reasons why you should use it over the other arty, also why I haven't bother training up the next tech -

Better profit margins. The best gun has ammo which costs only 150 credits a shot and does 270 damage every 7.5 seconds so DPS is 36. By comparison the SU-14 and Hummel DPS works out as 55-56 (admittedly with better penetration), but the ammo costs a fortune.

Higher ROF, this means you have a better chance of tracking that Leopard tearing up the flank.

It's small so easier to hide. If you get the camo upgrade & 100% crew, with camo bonus, you will basically be a tank-ninja.

360° turret, you can track and kill scouts while running away from them. Also you can zone in targets across the map while moving towards cover & waiting for the gun to reload.

veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #237 on: July 19, 2010, 10:31:27 AM

Is there any reliable way to hit a moving target ? I can't for the live of me figure out how you "lead" in this game. Those pesky light tanks are damm hard to hit and don't even get me started about engaging medium tanks.

If possible wait for them to turn so they are moving straight away from you (or close to it at least). Least protected area and nice easy shot then. Or if they are doing circles in your back line spotting you for their arty, ram em. You'll probably die but it is very satisfying. Also I never try to aim for tracks, I just use the right click auto follow and it hits where it hits. When I try to aim manually I typically miss very badly.

If you can right click and auto target it, shoot at it. No matter how far away, specially if they are not moving. I get a lot of kills like that in my TDs. People sometimes freeze up when they can't figure out where the shot came from which lets you get another shot or two in. You can hit from very far away too.

Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #238 on: July 19, 2010, 10:52:52 AM

Tier3 tanks , like others mentioned  are " get out of there ASAP" tier.  Its best to level it fast by suicide rushing enemy spawn  (you  at least will get scout XP).
Tier4  are ok as scouts , (pz3 and a20), nothing else. t28 with upgraded gun is capable  of damage but way too squishy and way too big of a target. Tier5 is where you legitimately start posing a threat. t34 is imho insane tank
you can damage most of the tanks you can see on the field with great dps and is very fast and nimble. Ultimate medium scout tank imho.  
Pz4 with upgraded turret/gun while very squishy and poorly maneuverable is still capable due to awesome gun (very precise, great penetration)

Tier6 is probably last tier you can actually make more than you lose without premium account t34-85 ,vk3601h and vk 3001p are all very capable tanks with guns good enough to hit biggest enemies in game,

I personally stopped at that tier (at least till I save fo  a month of premium) as while I had enough money to buy tier7 I figured repair costs are not worth it . I spent money on equipment instead (anti he armor and faster aiming).
Plus I have 100/110 crew on my Vk3001P and I routinely rack 3+ kills.  and  can damage any opponent so I dont really have that need to upgrade

Can't comment on the heavy tanks but from what I seen IS3 and up are extremely hard to kill and are very dangerous.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #239 on: July 20, 2010, 03:02:31 PM

Interestingly, the tactic of the week appears to be "back your tank up against the battle edge so you can't be flanked/circled by light units" with TDs and SPGs right now. Basically, you can wedge yourself into a spot where scouts are just sitting ducks because they can't avoid your fire arcs due to the zone boundary.

A little leeway on that solid line would be nice.
penfold
Terracotta Army

Reply #240 on: July 20, 2010, 03:23:24 PM

Why the strong side is bad? Your a scout remember the more red dots the better? Right in goal, wrong in practice. Consider this, they can you see before you see them, before your radio can send back their positions, if they see you that means everyone sees you. that means you have as many as 10 guns aiming at you way before you even spotted one of them. You can count on 2 people missing 70mph, you can count on 3-4 people not getting any significant shots in when they first see you at a distance. But 10 people shooting at you from 10 different angles? Tracks down, engine failure, we're on fire, explosion. All this before you see even one dot. Hell if their team is smart they would stop advancing for a second to let your radio stop transmitting. So you just died, your team didn't see shit, and now you've gained exactly 200 cash for your effort bravo.

Last night I actually charged down the flank in my Pz III Ausf, burst through some bushes at the top of the hill and found half the opposing team right in front of me. I flew through a cats cradle of shots and made it past them to the SPGs, and would have got one of them if it wasn't for the um...  T34 that followed me, and a Tiger, Jagdpanther and god knows what else lurking nearby. I made a nice 5200 creds in the short time I was alive though, my best yet.

It's a shame you can't buy GP yet.  I can't think of any game that's made me want to part with real money for an in-game item. I actually searched to see if was available yet. It's the best compliment I can give it I think.

DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #241 on: July 20, 2010, 07:10:23 PM

Last night I actually charged down the flank in my Pz III Ausf, burst through some bushes at the top of the hill and found half the opposing team right in front of me. I flew through a cats cradle of shots and made it past them to the SPGs, and would have got one of them if it wasn't for the um...  T34 that followed me, and a Tiger, Jagdpanther and god knows what else lurking nearby. I made a nice 5200 creds in the short time I was alive though, my best yet.

It's a shame you can't buy GP yet.  I can't think of any game that's made me want to part with real money for an in-game item. I actually searched to see if was available yet. It's the best compliment I can give it I think.

I didn't say it doesn't happen, just that it happens rarely. most light tanks go from red to grey the moment one dot appears during a flanking maneuver. too easy to blow up a track when everyone uses heat rounds.
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #242 on: July 21, 2010, 06:15:34 AM

I am finding Tier 4 a bit of a challenge now.  The majority of battles are filling up with Tier 7-10 vehicles and my Hertzer shells are just bouncing off their armour for the most part.  I am still getting the occasional kill, but breaking up tiers would be an improvement for the game.   I am still playing as much as possible but it is tough to keep up with some of the hardcores and the gap is only helping them.

It seems tough to get any real sense of development plans, but I am eager to see how clans and territories play out. 
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #243 on: July 21, 2010, 07:34:24 AM

Tier 3 and 4 are hard, but they don't last that long. Just keep at it and  you'll be in a Tier 5 TD in now time, and let me tell you, those fuckers can take out Tier 7 tanks from across the map. I fookin' hate them.

Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #244 on: July 21, 2010, 07:44:45 AM

I was actually getting very close to the German Tier 5 Stug III TD last night, but then on a whim spent the points on a crazy radio (700 m) and a more powerful gun.  I am in the same boat with my A-20, but in no rush to upgrade that as I enjoy my light tank zooming around at 70+.

So many possibilities for game modes - capture the flag, king of the hill, historical battles,  class battles ((all MS-1s would be cool), actual nation vs. nation.

Saw a funny on their forums - Someone asked if there would be french tanks, and another replied that french tanks have one gear forward and 5 gears in reverse  awesome, for real
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 167 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks  
Jump to: