Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:18:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 167 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Tanks  (Read 1092219 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #105 on: July 10, 2010, 03:02:02 PM

As far as hitting things, it's right click to auto-aim, hit the space bar to stop if you're moving, and then wait a second or three for the reticle to shrink down.  I've fired at tanks from like 10 meters, and missed, or at least done no damage, because I didn't wait for the reticle to focus enough.

Yeah, I love how it works. And I love the voice of your gunner informing you of what happened with your shot, missed, hit, did no damage and stuff like that since you can't really visually tell when you are that far away. It gives me that "tank" feeling.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 03:04:17 PM by Falconeer »

fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: July 10, 2010, 05:20:33 PM

made a channel called... f13

whats the password?
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: July 10, 2010, 08:14:27 PM

I used batcountry, and it seemed to work, unless I'm in a different f13 (Draegan) channel.

Also, playing as Noitek, in the event that one of you kills me, or I happen to kill one of you.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Stefman
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: July 10, 2010, 11:40:00 PM

Only thing that is bothering me so far is that it really seems you only need to go up in the tank tiers as fast as possible, and eventually no one will use beginner tanks anymore. Maybe it makes sense, but I always loved that in EVE every stupid small ship is potentially useful.
Actually, you're wrong. High level tank repair cost often becomes larger than profit from battle, especially if you got your tank destroyed and your team has lost.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: July 10, 2010, 11:48:19 PM

I am glad I am wrong, Stefman. I was hoping for someone with a better understanding of the game to provide exactly that kind of information. Cool.

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #110 on: July 11, 2010, 12:13:27 AM

Yeah, starting off with the beginner tank is kind of a pain. I've managed to pop 4 people, but mostly out of me getting one good shot in when they're being pummeled by other people. Otherwise most of my deaths come from 1 arty shot or being face raped by a faster tank.

I'm saving up to buy an arty, but I'm seeing that they're expensive to run.
Ratadm
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: July 11, 2010, 12:42:50 AM

Expensive but hilariously overpowered.  Use heat (the 160 a pop one) ammo and destroy people hilariously.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: July 11, 2010, 01:39:03 AM

What do you think is the point of having a better driver? I mean, they grow up in experience and you can even pay to make them grow faster. But seriously, what difference does it make? I can see engine and tracks improving your speed and turning speed, but the driver? Any ideas.

Ratadm
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: July 11, 2010, 01:59:03 AM

I assume the guys cause your tank to be more effective or some such, or maybe they die less easily.
Ratadm
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: July 11, 2010, 02:06:08 AM

Oh man I just watched a Tiger take out like 6 people.
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #115 on: July 11, 2010, 02:51:14 AM

Having a lot of fun - only thing I worry about at the moment is the effect of the cash ammo. Seems head and shoulders better than the normal stuff, rather than a sidegrade.
Stefman
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: July 11, 2010, 02:58:30 AM

Expensive but hilariously overpowered.  Use heat (the 160 a pop one) ammo and destroy people hilariously.
Look at hitpoints of level 10 tanks. 160 damage against thousands of hp! And if you will try to shoot only light tanks then your profits will not cover your expenses.

What do you think is the point of having a better driver? I mean, they grow up in experience and you can even pay to make them grow faster. But seriously, what difference does it make? I can see engine and tracks improving your speed and turning speed, but the driver? Any ideas.
Driver's skill limits maximum speed of your vehicle. Actually, even with best engine and suspension your tank will be slow as a turtle if your driver is unskilled. So, training for driver is a must-have if you're riding scout tank.

Oh man I just watched a Tiger take out like 6 people.
There are rumors that some people already acquired up to 15 frags in a single battle...
Ratadm
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: July 11, 2010, 03:10:41 AM

When I was talking about ridiculously overpowered I meant in the tier 1/2 tank matches where you don't have anything other than light tanks.  And hitting light tanks more than covered my expenses at lower levels.  Also for those wondering I think there are 2 tiers of games.  The newbie games which are tier 1/2 tanks only and the other games which are every tier, to get to the second tier you have to buy a tank of tier 3 or higher, or at least that's when I got in them.
Stefman
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: July 11, 2010, 03:14:24 AM

Actually, you could use your lvl 1-2 tank in normal game, just open dropdown list under the button 'Battle'.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: July 11, 2010, 05:47:21 AM

Wrong, there are several tiers.

The way matchmaking in the Normal battles is that 60% of vehicles are taken from your own tier. 40% are taken from tiers one above and one below. Since Tigers are tier 7 I sincerely doubt you saw a Tiger do anything unless you've been catassing hard.
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: July 11, 2010, 11:49:29 AM

So got a few matches in this. A lot of fun, but I suck bad. Have played 3 matches and have no idea if I have hit anyone yet. Even using the auto target right click thing pretty sure I am still missing. Also in chat someone said if you don't bale out your crew they die, anyone know if this is true? If so how the heck do you bale them out?
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #121 on: July 11, 2010, 12:12:59 PM

It doesn't help that the servers in whothehecknowsistan are giving us all 200+ ping. Those BTs skip all over the danged battlefield.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: July 11, 2010, 12:28:02 PM

Crew don't die as far as I know. I concur that some more feedback about your hits would be appreciated. I thought crew voices were useful, but actually not so much.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #123 on: July 11, 2010, 12:33:40 PM

I dunno, I kinda appreciate that you don't get perfect feedback. Adds to the realism. You do know if you got the kill blow, and that's all I really care that much about.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: July 11, 2010, 01:01:02 PM

This game reminds me of navyfield. In a good and bad way. The game was great, everything aside from game play was clownshoes or border line clownshoes, a western pvp game that loves grind? nothing more i can say. World of tanks is fun AND addictive but it will make many people quite in the short and long term so the game will suffer an agonizing death spiral weeding out everyone but the farmers and cash shoppers (like every other grindy pvp game).  15 minute and no longer ww2 tank battles? Yes please. Starting tanks from ww1. No please. Hours of grind for a better radio (anyone owning a bt-7 or something along those lines can attest to this). no please. The game probably being unbearable once they've taking out daily gold? No please. Learning new things from the tip of the day instead of actual documentation? No please. Somehow i don't see this keeping my interest when they wipe accounts. All the no please moments i mentioned, navy field had them too and history just can't help butt repeat itself. Its been the story of most korean PVP games like survival project and rumble fighters. At first fun, the gameplay alone gets you hooked for hours but than the grindy bits settle in and the cash shop people, you know the people serious about playing, start becoming more and more common as the none cash shop people can only hope to compete by either being HAXOR PRO or take full advantage of ever cheesy farming technique you have available. In World of Tanks you can afk you lowbie tanks to get at least 500 gold. now keep doing that over and over, start game, afk, start game afk.

this has been my only video game for 4 days and i am just now 1/4th of the way to being able to purchase an a-20 in cash though assuming that i don't spend the research points for the bloody radio.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: July 11, 2010, 01:58:31 PM

this has been my only video game for 4 days and i am just now 1/4th of the way to being able to purchase an a-20 in cash though assuming that i don't spend the research points for the bloody radio.

You are totally doing it wrong, with approximately 7 to 10 hours of gameplay, I have 3 t2 tanks all elite with the best quipment, a tank destroyer elite with best gear and a t3 arty all elite with the best gear. Each of my crews has 60 percent or better experience and with non afking tank rotation after death I make 35 to 65k an hour. Without any tedious grind.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #126 on: July 11, 2010, 02:02:23 PM

Are you just that good, or is there a specific 'cash cow' tank that you've used? I make ~1.2k a match.

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: July 11, 2010, 02:06:39 PM

Turn your daily gold allotment into credits. This game is so much less grindy than, say, BF:BC2 it's not funny. The matches take five minutes. Chrissake, you can play SIX GAMES AT ONCE potentially.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: July 11, 2010, 02:16:28 PM

Are you just that good, or is there a specific 'cash cow' tank that you've used? I make ~1.2k a match.

I average 2 kills per round, lots more when i play arty. It's that during a match I shoot at everything, you aren't awarded credits based on kills you are awarded credits based on damage, I spread the rounds and roll with groups of people, I use HE all the time. As soon as I die, I drop battle and load up another battle on another tank. I stay pretty much constantly in the action with 5 vehicles. My average credit take home on bad match is at least 2300 minimum. With the TD and the Arty I frequently rack up 4 to 6k in credits.

Also I converted gold to credits and bought better training for my crews. The 50 percent training is fucking amazing compared to the starter crews.

Edit: The only thing that jacks with my earnings rotation is when I do not die and run a match out to the end. However if I haven't died that normally leads to a nice 6 to 10k fatty, most I've made in a match is in my arty right at 11k, with 10 kills and then a capture hehe.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 02:21:43 PM by Pennilenko »

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: July 11, 2010, 02:26:50 PM

You are totally doing it wrong, with approximately 7 to 10 hours of gameplay, I have 3 t2 tanks all elite with the best quipment, a tank destroyer elite with best gear and a t3 arty all elite with the best gear. Each of my crews has 60 percent or better experience and with non afking tank rotation after death I make 35 to 65k an hour. Without any tedious grind.

err why have an army of t2 tanks unless your sole purpose in life is to smack around tier 1 tanks? Your t3 arty sounds impressive, i have a maxed out BT-2, near maxed BT-7 tier 3, and a tier 2 german for the lolz.

Turn your daily gold allotment into credits. This game is so much less grindy than, say, BF:BC2 it's not funny. The matches take five minutes. Chrissake, you can play SIX GAMES AT ONCE potentially.

you seem to be under the impression that i haven't figured out what gold does? They gimped me out of 2-3 days including today by my calculations. The game IS grindy, don't know why you insist on proving yourself wrong. Does using items exclusive to the cash shop make it less grindy? Honestly if you haven't even hit tier 4 with DAILY "WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE UNLESS PURCHASED" gold than how do you think this game will play out come launch.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: July 11, 2010, 02:28:25 PM

I average 2 kills per round, lots more when i play arty. It's that during a match I shoot at everything, you aren't awarded credits based on kills you are awarded credits based on damage, I spread the rounds and roll with groups of people, I use HE all the time. As soon as I die, I drop battle and load up another battle on another tank. I stay pretty much constantly in the action with 5 vehicles. My average credit take home on bad match is at least 2300 minimum. With the TD and the Arty I frequently rack up 4 to 6k in credits.

Also I converted gold to credits and bought better training for my crews. The 50 percent training is fucking amazing compared to the starter crews.

Edit: The only thing that jacks with my earnings rotation is when I do not die and run a match out to the end. However if I haven't died that normally leads to a nice 6 to 10k fatty, most I've made in a match is in my arty right at 11k, with 10 kills and then a capture hehe.

I'm 100% sure that's a bug.

edit i stand corrected, i thought i was locked to games, wow this is exploited able. suciide light tank, exit.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 02:32:17 PM by DLRiley »
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: July 11, 2010, 02:34:58 PM

You're babbling and I think you may be delirious. I didn't say that there was zero grind. I said it was decidedly LESS GRINDY than games like Bad Company. It's less grindy than APB. It's less grindy than any number of games where people do not discuss the grind. It's five minute games and the tanks you go through aren't useless. A Panther isn't useless in the face of a Tiger. A PzII isn't useless in the face of a T-34. It would be one thing if there were Magnum Rounds at the end of the grind but there's not.

I just play it like what it is: a quick team shooter with a variety of equipment. If you're getting upset because you don't have your t10 tank yet you're playing the game wrong.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: July 11, 2010, 02:35:15 PM

err why have an army of t2 tanks unless your sole purpose in life is to smack around tier 1 tanks? Your t3 arty sounds impressive, i have a maxed out BT-2, near maxed BT-7 tier 3, and a tier 2 german for the lolz.

I've hung on to my army of t2 tanks as an experiment. Ive been looking to see how much of a difference crew experience makes, and according to the forums when you get a crew to 100 percent experience they can choose natural skills, like firefighting, camouflage, and other things. Sticking with elite tanks and training my crews up has made a massive difference in my efficiency, in credits earned and fun value.

I'm 100% sure that's a bug.

Not a bug, It is encouraged by the developers on the beta forums. It's even part of a stickied faq post.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: July 11, 2010, 02:41:59 PM

You're babbling and I think you may be delirious. I didn't say that there was zero grind. I said it was decidedly LESS GRINDY than games like Bad Company. It's less grindy than APB. It's less grindy than any number of games where people do not discuss the grind. It's five minute games and the tanks you go through aren't useless. A Panther isn't useless in the face of a Tiger. A PzII isn't useless in the face of a T-34. It would be one thing if there were Magnum Rounds at the end of the grind but there's not.

I just play it like what it is: a quick team shooter with a variety of equipment. If you're getting upset because you don't have your t10 tank yet you're playing the game wrong.

I think he really wanted this game to be something that it is not. That's okay though, not every game can be what we were hoping for or envisioned. I am having a ton of fun, and am very attached to my well trained crews in my t2 tanks. Shit I even know their names. One thing i would remind him of on the grind, I am sure he has spent more than a few hours on an item in a game that gives him .5 percent more efficiency hehe complaining about an hour to snag a major scouting upgrade in this game seems kind of silly in comparison.

For DLRiley, if you really like this game and want it to be more like how you envision, why not post constructively in the beta forums? The devs really seem like they love their project and they have many posts discussing ideas and design decisions. Maybe you can give them some nice ideas.

DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: July 11, 2010, 02:49:26 PM

yes it is pretty grindy, though comparing it to other examples...

I think he really wanted this game to be something that it is not. That's okay though, not every game can be what we were hoping for or envisioned. I am having a ton of fun, and am very attached to my well trained crews in my t2 tanks. Shit I even know their names. One thing i would remind him of on the grind, I am sure he has spent more than a few hours on an item in a game that gives him .5 percent more efficiency hehe complaining about an hour to snag a major scouting upgrade in this game seems kind of silly in comparison.

For DLRiley, if you really like this game and want it to be more like how you envision, why not post constructively in the beta forums? The devs really seem like they love their project and they have many posts discussing ideas and design decisions. Maybe you can give them some nice ideas.

Well I wouldn't want a game with such great gameplay circle the drain because they just don't want to allow players to get in the action so to speak. this will always be a 15 minute game session game that just happens take 3 hours before i'm close to ready to log off
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: July 12, 2010, 08:29:09 AM

made a channel called... f13

whats the password?

When I logged out, I assume it disappeared, but I did have the password box unchecked.  Odd someone else might of made it.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: July 12, 2010, 08:39:47 AM

Someone explain elite tanks please?  I still have the noob starter tanks.  Are elite tanks tanks that you can buy without different training?  I need to get into this game a bit more tonight I think.

Also, the experience you earn is only for the tank you play in correct? 
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: July 12, 2010, 08:50:57 AM

Elite is when you have every upgrade researched for that tank (including new tanks) and you can either give your crew 50% faster training or convert exp gained in that tank to the free experience to be able to use on other tanks.

Also AT-1 plus 75mm cannon =  Heart
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: July 12, 2010, 09:01:12 AM

tier 1 is going to suck big time when people who played the game for 3 months still farming the tier 1-2 zone with their max upgraded tanks and personal  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?. Man got the final light tank for the soviets and it doesn't go faster than a BT-7 ( i think it turns slightly less god awfully slow). Man so my next decent tank will probably be german, bloody hell. That or I need to learn to aim  awesome, for real. All this grinding, i could just get 5 tier 2 tanks and farm tier 1 tanks all day.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: July 12, 2010, 09:57:23 AM

Elite is when you have every upgrade researched for that tank (including new tanks) and you can either give your crew 50% faster training or convert exp gained in that tank to the free experience to be able to use on other tanks.

It's great to bang around in an older elite tank while your main tank is still in combat after dying. You actually gain some useful experience for playing an older tier.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 167 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks  
Jump to: