Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:19:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 167 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Tanks  (Read 1092429 times)
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: July 09, 2010, 08:29:12 AM

Yeah, it took me like four games to even score a hit on someone. Then I figured out Shift = telescope gun sight. Then it took me another three before I killed anything. That game I cleaned house. Then I sucked again. Then I got good again.

I think the shitty starter tank is the main frustration.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: July 09, 2010, 08:52:31 AM

I grabbed a key from MMOSITE.  I'll download and try this game tonight.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #72 on: July 09, 2010, 09:16:30 AM

I think I haven't been so biased (as I superlove tanks) in a while, but I am in and I am very impressed so far. It seems like a work of love, not just a product. So sweet.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 10:03:39 AM by Falconeer »

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #73 on: July 09, 2010, 09:30:24 AM

Closed Beta discussion rules posted here:

http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=19496.0

tl;dr Closed Beta is under NDA but they apparently aren't enforcing it so I'm not going to either unless I hear otherwise.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: July 09, 2010, 09:36:16 AM

They are not only not enforcing it, they are also not telling beta testers there is one when they sign up.

I am the .00000001428%
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #75 on: July 09, 2010, 09:40:02 AM

They are not only not enforcing it, they are also not telling beta testers there is one when they sign up.
It's part of the License Agreement you agreed to when you registered:

http://game.worldoftanks.com/registration/
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #76 on: July 09, 2010, 10:00:49 AM

I have two goddamn beta keys, but I can't get a new user registered. I tried yesterday, never got an email saying I am registered, it never registered the account and I can't login. Made a forum account, now trying to create a new user it tells me there's already a user. User creation is like MMOG 101. What the fuck?

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: July 09, 2010, 10:51:38 AM

I just did it, you can PM me the details and I'll do it for you if you want.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: July 09, 2010, 01:33:43 PM

I have to take back my comments about the combat that I made after watching some of the trailers.  It's fun to play without being super arcadish, I especially like that you can fight your tank like a tank, firing and backing into cover to change firing positions works really well.  They even have a shortcut to fire from the short halt (space bar) which stops the tank until you fire.  After you shoot the tank starts moving again, about the only really annoying thing is that the correct way to capture an objective is to drive in circles around the flag pole so that you are hard to hit.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: July 09, 2010, 04:04:27 PM

The BT-2's circling around you faster than your turret turns, while still shooting you is annoying as fuck.  The only thing missing is the bunny hopping, and I just know the little bastard driving it is trying with all his might to get the damn tank to jump.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: July 09, 2010, 04:22:43 PM

Upgrade your turret. Also, and I hate the "it's beta" remarks more than anyone.... it's beta. If it were late beta I'd be irritated by the mostly okay but some glaring holes balance. But it's not late beta.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: July 09, 2010, 04:34:53 PM

Upgrade your turret. Also, and I hate the "it's beta" remarks more than anyone.... it's beta. If it were late beta I'd be irritated by the mostly okay but some glaring holes balance. But it's not late beta.

To be fair, the game has been in beta in Russia for a while already.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: July 09, 2010, 04:51:41 PM

Fair enough. Any idea how long? And release is what? Five, six months away or have I got this all wrong and it's coming out in a month?

Also, one thing to remember: right click will align your turret to auto follow an enemy. If you do not clear it by right clicking a second time and the enemy is still in view, even remotely, your turret acts dumb.
Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: July 09, 2010, 04:57:13 PM

This game is crazy fun.  Just the right mix of arcade and sim.  Teamwork is very well rewarded too.  I'm failing miserably at limiting my play time so I don't get all burnt out by the time it goes live.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: July 09, 2010, 07:03:24 PM

I can't put this down. Once you get the basics down you're moving to a decent tank or artillery and it's a whole different game.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: July 09, 2010, 08:29:27 PM

The BT-2's circling around you faster than your turret turns, while still shooting you is annoying as fuck.  The only thing missing is the bunny hopping, and I just know the little bastard driving it is trying with all his might to get the damn tank to jump.

yeah realized that 50 miles per how is fun. though its crap for fast tight turns.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: July 09, 2010, 09:14:51 PM

I drive an AT-1 these days, so no turret, unfortunately.  Fortunately, they can't hit worth a damn when they're moving, and the AT-1 seems to be fairly well armored, so I can usually tough it out if I have allies around to take out the BT-2.

Still fun as all hell, either way.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: July 10, 2010, 05:11:23 AM

The BT-2's "thing" seems to be ohmygodfast.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: July 10, 2010, 07:36:49 AM

It was fast in real life too.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: July 10, 2010, 09:17:05 AM

It was fast in real life too.

BT is an abbreviation for the Russian words for Fast Tank.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: July 10, 2010, 09:52:44 AM

I played a few games and it was kind of annoying.  First game I didn't see a single enemy.  Second game I got to a point and I was 2-3 shotted and then I sit there for 10 minutes waiting for the game to end.

:(
Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: July 10, 2010, 10:11:11 AM

I played a few games and it was kind of annoying.  First game I didn't see a single enemy.  Second game I got to a point and I was 2-3 shotted and then I sit there for 10 minutes waiting for the game to end.

Protip: exit the battle when you die and go play with your other tank.  You still get the XP and credits from your dead tank when the battle ends.

Also anyone having a real hard time try out artillery(SPG), it's a good deal less twitchy and more strategic.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: July 10, 2010, 10:16:41 AM

Also, seems to me that upgrading a tank improves things dramatically. Even on the baby ones.

And yeah, it's a slow game. But it's a tank game, dammit. And for that, it is less slow than I was expecting.

Fake edit: great tip, Sparky.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #93 on: July 10, 2010, 11:47:23 AM

I officially love this game.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: July 10, 2010, 12:03:28 PM

Protip: exit the battle when you die and go play with your other tank.  You still get the XP and credits from your dead tank when the battle ends.

Also anyone having a real hard time try out artillery(SPG), it's a good deal less twitchy and more strategic.

The problem I have with arty is that too many people upgrade to tank destroyers and spotting all but stops, so you sit half a match with zero targets exposed on the map, also people in light tanks do not seem to understand the need to upgrade their radios. All these issues will fix themselves up right quick when there are clans working together and creating matches and stuff.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: July 10, 2010, 12:22:35 PM

Only thing that is bothering me so far is that it really seems you only need to go up in the tank tiers as fast as possible, and eventually no one will use beginner tanks anymore. Maybe it makes sense, but I always loved that in EVE every stupid small ship is potentially useful.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: July 10, 2010, 12:28:58 PM

Only thing that is bothering me so far is that it really seems you only need to go up in the tank tiers as fast as possible, and eventually no one will use beginner tanks anymore. Maybe it makes sense, but I always loved that in EVE every stupid small ship is potentially useful.

With a some prexisting tank knowledge though, you can see clearly that there are some really nice light tanks which are t3 versions of light tanks. Those ones have alot more mobility and alot more effective weapons systems.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: July 10, 2010, 12:50:31 PM

All of a sudden I understand! Right click, turret follows tank and can eventually shoot behind their cover as long as the target is spotted. And magically I start to kill stuff even with the starting pea-shooter! Oh, goodness!

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: July 10, 2010, 01:45:45 PM

made a channel called... f13
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: July 10, 2010, 02:07:55 PM

I got into the game a bit more with a bunch of upgrades... they make a huge difference.  But I still can't hit anyone.  Now I just a ton of cash to buy a new tank.  I almost fully fitted out with research the newbie german tank.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #100 on: July 10, 2010, 02:19:44 PM

Finally got my first attempt to register done, but never got an email for either the forum confirmation or the account registration. Thanks for the help, Draegen. Logged in, died right quick in two battles then had to take my brother-in-law to work. Going to hop in now.

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: July 10, 2010, 02:20:18 PM

It takes time. Like I said, it was four or five games before I so much as scratched anyone. It was another four or five before I actually got a kill. There's a lot of subtlety to this game that's not apparent from the videos or just the thought of WORLD OF TANKS NEAT.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: July 10, 2010, 02:28:50 PM

I got into the game a bit more with a bunch of upgrades... they make a huge difference.  But I still can't hit anyone.  Now I just a ton of cash to buy a new tank.  I almost fully fitted out with research the newbie german tank.

Having maxed out both the German, and the Russian newb tanks, I vastly prefer the Russian one.  Maybe it's all in my head, but it seems to perform way better.  I might get 1 kill in the German one, but I'll rack up 4 or 5 in the Russian MS-1.

As far as hitting things, it's right click to auto-aim, hit the space bar to stop if you're moving, and then wait a second or three for the reticle to shrink down.  I've fired at tanks from like 10 meters, and missed, or at least done no damage, because I didn't wait for the reticle to focus enough.

fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: July 10, 2010, 02:50:06 PM

The matchmaking is amazing, I've yet to be ROFL-stomped in a match.

If they allow you to group up with friends it will really destroy the fun of this game.
Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: July 10, 2010, 02:59:31 PM

The matchmaking is amazing, I've yet to be ROFL-stomped in a match.

If they allow you to group up with friends it will really destroy the fun of this game.

Nah just match up grouped with other groups and keep the randoms playing themselves.  The game is crying out for some group play considering how much proper tactics matter.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 167 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks  
Jump to: