Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:29:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Sims 3 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Sims 3  (Read 91836 times)
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #210 on: June 12, 2009, 01:21:20 PM

I managed to find a life fruit and I have no idea where or how. So I planted that instead of finding a seed, lucky me!

God Save the Horn Players
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #211 on: June 13, 2009, 01:43:32 PM

I recently picked a death flower at the graveyard. No idea what it does.

Eat it!   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #212 on: June 15, 2009, 06:08:32 AM

Was tempted... Researched a little more, apparently as long as the flower is in my inventory, I can trade it to the Grim Reaper to leave me alone.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #213 on: June 15, 2009, 06:38:57 AM

Hmmm that is what i assume as well when an opportunity card asks me to deliver a Death Flower to another sim in the neighbourhood to 'prolong his life'. I never tried it out though. Oh, any plant you fertilize with Death Fish will die.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #214 on: June 15, 2009, 06:39:49 AM

My guy became a professional blogger last night. It was pretty Ohhhhh, I see..

I'll post a screenie later.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #215 on: June 15, 2009, 07:11:32 AM

I'm considering starting a new thread for my The Sims 3 stuff, however none of it involves actually playing the game.  Currently we (but mostly my wife) are trying to make textures.  The current scheme involves making a vector graphic in Adobe Illustrator (Satan's Anus Version) which is then imported into Photoshop (Adobe is Run by Cocks Version) and assigned a color channel.  From there it has to be converted to ".dds" format, but the converter plug in does not work on Vista. swamp poop ACK! swamp poop

I hope Will Wright's robots go on a rampage in EA HQ.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #216 on: June 15, 2009, 07:13:45 AM

DDS is pretty standard whenever you're dealing with Direct3D. It's basically a raw Direct3D-readable texture, so the game can just read it in without dicking around with compressed codecs. No idea why they didn't write a BMP importer though.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #217 on: June 15, 2009, 07:28:12 AM

No idea why they didn't write a BMP importer though.

Because they are cockgobblers.  Also, welcome to my world, in which we learn to despise EA/Sims designers and programmers.

However you gave me an idea.  I'm going to see if I can get my wife to use GIMP, I bet it can export to DDS.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #218 on: June 15, 2009, 11:40:32 AM

I assume you are using the texture import tool on Modthesims?

Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #219 on: June 15, 2009, 12:37:36 PM

The original Sims was fun only as a screensaver made of pure malevolence, a window into a deep, ghastly hell of a house full of unemployed people sobbing amongst empty pizza boxes and their own urine.  The fact that you named them all after your friends did nothing to change the hideous fates awaiting them all.

Later versions of the game actually seemed to channel the sims towards happiness and accomplishment, which proves that the point was well and truly missed.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #220 on: June 15, 2009, 12:43:13 PM

I assume you are using the texture import tool on Modthesims?

I am not sure about that.  I don't recall where she got her guide but I'm assuming it was modthesims.  Is it a "import DDS into The Sims" tool?

I try very hard to not work on that.  Knowledge of "rasterizing" and "RGB color channels" tends to push out knowledge that I need.

tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #221 on: June 15, 2009, 01:21:25 PM

From there it has to be converted to ".dds" format, but the converter plug in does not work on Vista. swamp poop ACK! swamp poop
What converter are you using? nVidia has Photoshop plugin which allows to save in .dds format and works fine with Vista to my knowledge.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #222 on: June 15, 2009, 01:31:52 PM

From there it has to be converted to ".dds" format, but the converter plug in does not work on Vista. swamp poop ACK! swamp poop
What converter are you using? nVidia has Photoshop plugin which allows to save in .dds format and works fine with Vista to my knowledge.

That's the one.  If you have had success with that, I'd like the pertinent details.  I'm actually using Win7, but that's basically Vista.  She has it working on her office machine (WinXP) but at home it doesn't show up in PS.

tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #223 on: June 15, 2009, 02:32:04 PM

That's the one.  If you have had success with that, I'd like the pertinent details.  I'm actually using Win7, but that's basically Vista.  She has it working on her office machine (WinXP) but at home it doesn't show up in PS.
Hmm well it seems to work rather straightforward for me, i do "Save As', pick the "D3D/DDS" as output format, hit save, set the details in plugin window that shows up and that's it. This is "current version" (8.23) of the plugin, on 32-bit Vista and with Adobe CS3 ... but had it working with earlier versions of both Pshop and Windows. Maybe it's some difference between 32 and 64-bit system but couldn't find anything about it with quick google search. From what i did find though it sounds GIMP also has option to export DDS files so maybe that's acceptable alternative.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #224 on: June 15, 2009, 02:34:39 PM

Ah, yea, I'm using 64-bit W7 and that is likely the blockage.  The installation runs fine but there is no DDS option under Save As....

I am hoping GIMP solves this, that would be swell.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: June 15, 2009, 05:19:06 PM

So.  Really.  What do you do in The Sims?

I just don't get it.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #226 on: June 15, 2009, 05:46:22 PM

You have fun in a non-linear way with various scripted prods to keep it from being too far into "omgwtfdoIdonow" land.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: June 15, 2009, 08:38:39 PM

So.  Really.  What do you do in The Sims?

I just don't get it.

Make houses full of lesbians who get into catfights when they get caught cheating with each other.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 11:43:41 PM by Trippy »

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
peryn
Terracotta Army

Reply #228 on: June 16, 2009, 12:58:26 AM

I managed to find a life fruit and I have no idea where or how. So I planted that instead of finding a seed, lucky me!

If you've mastered the cooking skill and read the Ambrosia recipe from the bookstore, you can cook it up with Deathfish to make a dish that resets your age meter.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 01:04:27 AM by Trippy »
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #229 on: June 16, 2009, 08:16:35 AM

So.  Really.  What do you do in The Sims?

I just don't get it.

Make houses full of lesbians who get into catfights when they get caught cheating with each other.

My 9-year old daughter used to make whole neighborhoods of apparently parthenogenic lesbian families who have nothing but girl children in Sims 2. It was getting a bit creepy. Now she's making a wider variety of families in Sims 3 but has taken a sharp new interest in getting them to actually *have* children in the course of their lives. She has not quite figured out the sequence of prompts in the Romance menu to produce this result, and I have said, "Oh, yeah, that's really frustrating, I, uh, can't really explain it easily, it's just like crafting in World of Warcraft, remember, we agreed that was also a bit too complicated for you? So, um, if I have time later tonight, I'll see if I can't get your Sim families to have some babies. But, uh, I'm really busy now, probably can't do it until after you go to bed."

I'm going to pay for this later in life, I just know it.
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: June 16, 2009, 08:39:31 AM

I'm going to pay for this later in life, I just know it.

Heh, my daughter is the same age and has also really enjoyed the Sims since 2. Of course now that we have 3 that's all she wants to do. She makes fairly normal families but seems to have no problem making babies ... though I don't know that this is a good thing...

So.  Really.  What do you do in The Sims?

I just don't get it.

I guess you could think of it as a complicated virtual pet, along with a decorating and architecture simulator. It is one of those games that is more toy than game, and thus takes some imagination on the player's part to really come alive.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 08:42:03 AM by AcidCat »
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #231 on: June 16, 2009, 12:54:38 PM

I guess you could think of it as a complicated virtual pet, along with a decorating and architecture simulator. It is one of those games that is more toy than game, and thus takes some imagination on the player's part to really come alive.

Nah, I think of it more as "The Cask of Amontillado": The Game.  I'll get sick of controlling too many Sims, and one of their asses is getting bricked up in a tiny little room until they piss themselves and die.  The constant wailing until death is always fun.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #232 on: June 16, 2009, 01:11:01 PM

Nah, I think of it more as "The Cask of Amontillado": The Game.  I'll get sick of controlling too many Sims, and one of their asses is getting bricked up in a tiny little room until they piss themselves and die.  The constant wailing until death is always fun.

I did the same thing, but not with my own Sims, oh no.  I'd have my Sims throw parties and then wait for a guest to snoop around the wine cellar.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #233 on: June 16, 2009, 01:29:03 PM

Heh, I hear it is a popular pasttime but I've always been entirely uninterested in killing/torturing sims.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #234 on: June 16, 2009, 03:19:15 PM

FYI, they can now climb out of a pool anywhere, not just at a ladder.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #235 on: June 16, 2009, 04:05:23 PM

FYI, they can now climb out of a pool anywhere, not just at a ladder.

HOLY SHIT.

Okay I'm sold.  Now they just need to get this thing on Steam so I don't have to deal with the EA Downloader.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #236 on: June 16, 2009, 04:52:17 PM

Heh, I hear it is a popular pasttime but I've always been entirely uninterested in killing/torturing sims.

I've rarely tormented Sims myself, it's just not something that rings my bell. Hell, I barely ever make Sims cheat on each other. I'm so boring. :(

God Save the Horn Players
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #237 on: June 16, 2009, 05:32:30 PM

Yeah, the only time I made my sim cheat on his wife, I had to go back to the previous save. :P

The only way I torture my sims in this game so far is to make a bunch of hateful assholes move in, surrounding their house.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #238 on: June 16, 2009, 05:38:32 PM

The only way I torture my sims in this game so far is to make a bunch of hateful assholes move in, surrounding their house.

See, I'd do that and then contrive ways for my sims to kill off the hateful assholes.

Is "serial killer" a job in Sims 3?  It seems like it would be the logical progression from "professional blogger".

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #239 on: June 16, 2009, 07:06:24 PM

If you pick the evil trait, it just might be.

I know I can Hack and troll forums instead of blogging.  I also get to be Emperor of the World at R10 Criminal instead of just "Master Thief"

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #240 on: June 16, 2009, 07:56:38 PM

My original father and adult daughter household, I had her fall in love with an evil sim. He was so annoying that I build a pool just to kill him. Then I found out the ladder trick doesn't work any more. So I build a fence around it. Took a long time to die. Then I made her put the moves on a local cop and steal him from his wife. He's a good husband.

They need to make a neighborhood-making tool soon so I can recreate my Sims 2 neighborhood, "Red State, Blue State".
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #241 on: June 17, 2009, 10:10:40 AM

You can just edit the town from inside the game, unless there was something less tedious.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #242 on: June 17, 2009, 11:55:12 AM

I made an evil female Sim go around town and try to steal everyone's wives away. Eventually got one to move in. Then I had the wife go back to her husbands house, seduced him until she got pregnant, and then broke up with him.

naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #243 on: June 17, 2009, 08:37:55 PM

Alice and Kev: The story of being homeless in Sims 3

This is an experiment in playing a homeless family in The Sims 3. I created two Sims, moved them in to a place made to look like an abandoned park, removed all of their remaining money, and then attempted to help them survive without taking any job promotions or easy cash routes. It’s based on the old ‘poverty challenge’ idea from The Sims 2, but it turned out to be a lot more interesting with The Sims 3’s living neighborhood features.

I have attempted to tell my experiences with the minimum of embellishment. Everything I describe in here is something that happened in the game. What’s more, a surprising amount of the interesting things in this story were generated by just letting go and watching the Sims’ free will and personality traits take over.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #244 on: June 17, 2009, 09:15:21 PM

Alice and Kev: The story of being homeless in Sims 3

What’s more, a surprising amount of the interesting things in this story were generated by just letting go and watching the Sims’ free will and personality traits take over.
This. The ant farm can be much more fun when one manages to let go of the Old Testament hands-on approach and just guide the ants towards their personality-based wishes when required but leave them free otherwise.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Sims 3  
Jump to: