Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:04:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Where the Wild Things Are 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where the Wild Things Are  (Read 20771 times)
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #35 on: October 15, 2009, 12:38:19 AM

Ya.
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: October 15, 2009, 08:14:11 AM

But then you're just out and out banning him from necroing any discussion.

I'm struggling to see the negative side of that, right now.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: October 15, 2009, 09:33:25 PM

Basically I just had a pretty legit call out on a middle aged man who was WAY too excited about a film adaptation of one of the shittiest children's books ever written.  Better late than never.
Broughden
Terracotta Army

I put the 'shill' in 'cockmonkey'.

Reply #38 on: October 15, 2009, 09:37:52 PM

You probably hate Shel Silverstein too.

Me too. In the 70's growing up all these adults thought Silverstein was the shit and as a kid were convinced i should love him. I thought his poetry was stupid tripe.

The wave of the Reagan coalition has shattered on the rocky shore of Bush's incompetence. - Abagadro
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #39 on: October 15, 2009, 10:24:25 PM

I sense a sorting mechanism coming into play.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: October 15, 2009, 10:41:23 PM

Slytherin, Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, or Ravenclaw?
Broughden
Terracotta Army

I put the 'shill' in 'cockmonkey'.

Reply #41 on: October 15, 2009, 11:23:55 PM

I was more into George Gordon Byron, Samuel Taylor Coleridge, and John Keats as a child. Sorry but Silverstein doesnt even begin to compare.

Im pretty sure that makes me Gryffindor and you Hufflepuff. Silverstein comes off as genuinely Hufflepuffien. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

The wave of the Reagan coalition has shattered on the rocky shore of Bush's incompetence. - Abagadro
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: October 15, 2009, 11:32:24 PM

I was more into George Gordon Byron, Samuel Taylor Coleridge, and John Keats as a child. Sorry but Silverstein doesnt even begin to compare.

Im pretty sure that makes me Gryffindor and you Hufflepuff. Silverstein comes off as genuinely Hufflepuffien. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

You should get together with sheepherder. I hear he's pretty chuffed about demonstrating irrelevent pretensions too.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #43 on: October 16, 2009, 07:10:44 AM

But what the fuck do you see in Where The Wild Things Are?  I don't get it.  It's a childrens book, and a shitty one at that.  It doesn't even have a point.  The kid gets in trouble then has a fucked out dream and then his Mom gives him dinner anyway even though he didn't do shit.   There's no literary merit.  The pictures are cool, that's it.  It also does the fucked out kiddy book cop-out where they stretch out sentences ("And he sailed, and sailed, and sailed *FLIP THE PAGE* and sailed some more!")

My new theory is that your perpetual diarrhea has ejected from your body the unfertilized mass that was once your soul.

Not a Silverstein fan, but I don't hate him.  I think he might be a pirate, though.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: October 16, 2009, 08:01:00 AM

I was more into George Gordon Byron, Samuel Taylor Coleridge, and John Keats as a child.

Wanda: You think you're an intellectual, don't you, ape?
Otto West: Apes don't read philosophy.
Wanda: Yes they do, Otto. They just don't understand it.

dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: October 16, 2009, 10:12:15 AM

But what the fuck do you see in Where The Wild Things Are?  I don't get it.  It's a childrens book, and a shitty one at that.  It doesn't even have a point.  The kid gets in trouble then has a fucked out dream and then his Mom gives him dinner anyway even though he didn't do shit.   There's no literary merit.  The pictures are cool, that's it.  It also does the fucked out kiddy book cop-out where they stretch out sentences ("And he sailed, and sailed, and sailed *FLIP THE PAGE* and sailed some more!")

My new theory is that your perpetual diarrhea has ejected from your body the unfertilized mass that was once your soul.

OK, now tell me why I'm wrong.  It's a a meaningless picture book.  Do you think the Wiggles started out in life to do music for children?  No.  They failed at making music for adults first for years.  The point is that no one starts out in life wanting to produce anything for children.  It's a cop out for when you've failed at doing shit for adults.  Anyway, I'm glad you have fond memories of this book.  I just liked the idea of someone talking about a director being "right for the material" when the book is just a bunch of  pictures with 5 words on each page.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 10:15:02 AM by dusematic »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #46 on: October 16, 2009, 10:18:11 AM

Please stop talking now.

dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: October 16, 2009, 10:27:53 AM

Only because it was you who asked!  By the way, your online novel rocks dewd!
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: October 16, 2009, 11:10:39 AM

So, what we've really ascertained is that Dusematic doesn't understand the synergy between the febrile style and sequential visual medium employed by a director, and the febrile style and sequential visual medium employed by an illustrator.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: October 16, 2009, 01:07:07 PM

OK, now tell me why I'm wrong.  It's a a meaningless picture book.  Do you think the Wiggles started out in life to do music for children?  No.  They failed at making music for adults first for years.  The point is that no one starts out in life wanting to produce anything for children.  It's a cop out for when you've failed at doing shit for adults.  Anyway, I'm glad you have fond memories of this book.  I just liked the idea of someone talking about a director being "right for the material" when the book is just a bunch of  pictures with 5 words on each page.

This defines a whole new level of human failure. You can't even get being a curmudgeon or a misanthropist right.
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: October 16, 2009, 01:15:12 PM

I'm not sure how I feel about the movie, but I quite enjoy the book. I read it daily, sometimes 10 times in a row.  awesome, for real

You're broken Duse, in every way a human can be.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #51 on: October 16, 2009, 03:13:46 PM

Pretty sure nothing that has the shits for 10 years is human.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: October 16, 2009, 03:21:53 PM

OK, now tell me why I'm wrong.  It's a a meaningless post.  Do you think the Windupathiest started out in life to troll in game forums?  No.  They failed at making posts for adults first for years.  The point is that no one starts out in life wanting to write anything for assholes.  It's a cop out for when you've failed at writing shit for adults.  Anyway, I'm glad you have fond memories of this post.  I just liked the idea of someone talking about dusematic being "right for the material" when the post is just a bunch of trolls with 5 coherent words on each page.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: October 17, 2009, 09:06:21 AM

I eagerly await Dusematic's scything analysis of The Very Hungry Caterpillar.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: October 17, 2009, 11:06:36 AM

The Very Hungry Caterpillar is terrible.  I mean really - how can people say this is a classic compared to Dostoyevsky or Dan Brown? There's no decent characterization, no exploration of the human condition or pseudo-metanalogous philosophicating on the moral nature of being - all it is is a fucking caterpillar eating something every day.  And the pictures are crap - they look like something that would only appeal to children.

Don't even get me started on that Gruffalo piece of shit.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: October 17, 2009, 12:40:08 PM

Was this thread aboot a movie?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: October 17, 2009, 04:13:06 PM

They're just pissy because I think a children's book they like is crummy.  Do you guys want to tell me what great literature the Bearenstein Bears series is now?  Honestly.  OoOOoOo, an adult who thinks a meaningless picture book is shitty!  CONTROVERSY.  Get over yourselves, lol.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #57 on: October 17, 2009, 06:12:45 PM

OK, now tell me why I'm wrong.  It's a a meaningless post.  Do you think the Windupathiest started out in life to troll in game forums?  No.  They failed at making posts for adults first for years.  The point is that no one starts out in life wanting to write anything for assholes.  It's a cop out for when you've failed at writing shit for adults.  Anyway, I'm glad you have fond memories of this post.  I just liked the idea of someone talking about dusematic being "right for the material" when the post is just a bunch of trolls with 5 coherent words on each page.

Did I just own your face in a completely different thread? I think I did.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: October 17, 2009, 06:17:36 PM

Wait, why did he bring you into this?  Are you a known sympathizer?  DO YOU BEAR THE SIGN OF THE BEAST?
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: October 17, 2009, 07:00:52 PM

Naw, simond is your true opponent. I just go for the low blows.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #60 on: October 17, 2009, 08:17:42 PM

Just saw this.  It wasn't bad, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a kid's movie.  It felt much more to me like a movie about childhood for adults.  Very different from the book, which I guess is inevitable if you're adapting a few sentences into something feature-length.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: October 18, 2009, 02:20:08 PM

I actually wouldn't be surprised if that was the intent. I think it was in some NPR interview where Spike or the guy who co-wrote the screenplay said something like this being an adult-targeted book about that adult being a kid.

I'm sure there's a shitload of psychoanalysis and allegories and all sorts of philosophical stuff that could go into reviewing source material. But none of that explains why they thought it'd make a good movie. A lot of folks I know were excited when the movie was announced. I instead had to dig up a copy of the book to see if I could figure out why. I couldn't. It's a picture book for, at most, 4 year olds, and the movie itself looks very much targeting 20-30 somethings.

I dunno, maybe it's a nostalgia play?

In any case, it's certainly nothing worth getting angry over. There's so many "beloved childhood classics" at this point they all come of as chum-scrubbing money plays when adapted to movies.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #62 on: October 18, 2009, 04:26:05 PM

I'd say the theme to both the book and the movie is early childhood angst.  In the book Max's sojourn into the land of the wild things is a picturesque representation of having a good stew when you're sent to your room and you don't feel like it was your fault.  The audience for the book isn't expected to understand this, but that's what the author is expressing.

The movie takes that basic theme and expands upon it, using the wild things as a way for Max to grow a little and understand what it's like for other people to deal with someone who's pissed off and irrational all the time.  At the same time, by showing a bit of Max's circumstances and motivations the audience is invited to see what it's like from his perspective, and remember what it's like to be a kid and feel alienated from those you love but not know how to make it better.  So it's trying to do a lot more than the book did.  IMO it's less entertaining for it, but I'm pretty sure I see what they were going for.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: October 18, 2009, 05:46:08 PM

You should read some of the papers out there on the book... people think the book is doing a lot more than you suggest.

(I read a few of them because I wrote a paper on the book a year or so ago. I'm not crazy.)
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #64 on: October 18, 2009, 09:12:22 PM

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
schild
Administrator

Reply #65 on: October 18, 2009, 09:13:17 PM

There's very little more annoying than when people chop up words to make shit not funny.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: October 18, 2009, 09:32:37 PM

I feel  like we've come full circle.  I feel invigorated and a little bit inspired.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #67 on: October 19, 2009, 02:26:53 AM

Not a Silverstein fan, but I don't hate him.  I think he might be a pirate, though.

I think we could play a game called "Children's Author Or International Terrorist?" with that photo.

My eldest son used to love The Giving Tree which I find the world's most fucking depressing book. Fortunately, now he only likes it for the part where the boy is young and we don't have to go through the allegory for how women appreciate being life's punching bags every time.

I look forward to Michael Gondry's "The Giving Tree" coming out in 2015.

Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: October 19, 2009, 03:59:36 AM

You should get together with sheepherder. I hear he's pretty chuffed about demonstrating irrelevent pretensions too.

I'm a monomaniacal asshole, not pretentious.  If I were pretentious I would be spewing shit out of my mouth about how great Pinot Noir is, the deep metaphor of Ayn Rand's vaginal pillaging scene, how valuable my time is that I pay others to do menial tasks, and generally be a douche.  I also wouldn't dare talk about how I've read a number of Tom Clancy books, or those Star Wars fanfiction EU books.

However, the Animal Farm bit was dead serious.  When I was young I got a lot of ideas on the next book to read by looking at what my brother was doing for school at the time, he is three years older than me.  Stuff like Where The Wild Things Are didn't actually last me too long before I got into novels.

EDIT:

I mean really - how can people say this is a classic compared to Dostoyevsky or Dan Brown?

No.  Though it's probably the position of pretentious people to shit on his work now that everyone likes it.  In all fairness, it isn't bad.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 05:04:11 AM by Sheepherder »
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: October 19, 2009, 09:44:51 AM

Fuck Dan Brown and fuck you.  I need to go find a Mexican to pick me up a case of Pinot Noir.  
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 09:47:04 AM by dusematic »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Where the Wild Things Are  
Jump to: