Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:49:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Where the Wild Things Are 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where the Wild Things Are  (Read 20775 times)
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

on: March 25, 2009, 07:01:04 PM

New full trailer is up.  Jonze seems like a good match for the material so he might be able to pull it off. Will be interesting.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 11:04:43 PM

aye could be a classic.  Hope so.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 06:46:13 AM

This could go one of two ways.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 07:42:46 AM

Looks AWESOME!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS why so serious? why so serious? awesome, for real awesome, for real awesome, for real awesome, for real Heart Heart Heart

Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 09:44:09 AM

I don't know if it's just because of an immensely clever use of an Arcade Fire song, but the feel of the trailer seems spot on, to me. I don't know anyone born in the last 20 years or more who hadn't read the book a thousand times as a child, and as an illustrator who also works in the realms of children's illustrations, it's one of my go-to inspirations. Really, really looking forward to the movie - I respect Jonze as a perfectionist and when it transpired he wasn't happy with how things were going early last year (rumours abounded of a total reshoot), I knew he was making the movie out of love rather than the easy kiddy-dollar.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 07:47:01 PM

It'll be very hard to pull this off. Hope it's good, though the Trailier seems half cliche child/adventure in parts. Hard to know if that's just how they've tried to make it look, or if that's how it actually is, though.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 09:11:57 PM

Looks AWESOME!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS why so serious? why so serious? awesome, for real awesome, for real awesome, for real awesome, for real Heart Heart Heart

Btw, love your new avatar Ookii - cracks me up.

- Viin
jason
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 04:40:04 AM

Saw a screening of this last night... it wasn't as good as I wanted it to be.  Not a very good kids movie, they'll probably be bored except during the more active scenes.  Its a movie about a kid with behavior/family problems who runs away and meets some monsters who may or may not teach him that things aren't so bad.  Overall, I thought it was beautifully made but uninteresting.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 07:20:41 AM

I have seen this film receiving a lot of hype, but I am honestly clueless as to the source material. Is this story a particular US phenomenon?

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 07:23:10 AM

I have seen this film receiving a lot of hype, but I am honestly clueless as to the source material. Is this story a particular US phenomenon?

Popular children's book many of us grew up with.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 07:43:19 AM

Saw a screening of this last night... it wasn't as good as I wanted it to be.  Not a very good kids movie, they'll probably be bored except during the more active scenes.  Its a movie about a kid with behavior/family problems who runs away and meets some monsters who may or may not teach him that things aren't so bad.  Overall, I thought it was beautifully made but uninteresting.

Its sometimes very hard to tell what will captivate kids. You know Jar Jar Binks? Wildly popular with 4-5 year olds.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 07:48:51 AM

Its sometimes very hard to tell what will captivate kids. You know Jar Jar Binks? Wildly popular with 4-5 year olds.

I wonder how marketing approaches this.  You want to attract parents for theater showings, but ultimately you have to captivate children to make boat loads of cash in the dvd market.  I'm guessing that nostalgia will drive the popularity of this and was exactly what was intended.

As for Jar Jar Binks, that character turned me off to Star Wars completely.  I used to be a big fan of the initial trilogy, but can't even get myself to watch the prequels. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
jason
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 07:53:20 AM

The screening I saw it at was about 1/3 kids, most of whom were fidgety and talkative after the first hour, restless because the movie wasn't holding their attention.  Jar Jar was at least colorful and loud.  The Wild Things are mostly brown and subdued.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 08:16:08 AM

Popular children's book many of us grew up with.

Thanks, so it's fair to say that most Americans would read this as kids? I'm interested to hear if any non-US people did, I know I had never heard of the book before this.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 13, 2009, 08:21:41 AM

I'd say that many of us read it as kids during the 70's and maybe the early 80's.  I'm not sure how popular the book was after that. 

-  Mark Twain
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #15 on: October 13, 2009, 08:36:02 AM

I'm pretty sure he's considered a classic by now. I know all my nieces and nephews will have Sendak forcefed them, for their own good :)

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: October 13, 2009, 06:37:23 PM

Read it as a kid in australia. Quite well known here among kids/adults I know.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: October 14, 2009, 01:42:13 AM

I read Animal Farm when I was young.
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #18 on: October 14, 2009, 05:46:43 AM

Thanks, so it's fair to say that most Americans would read this as kids? I'm interested to hear if any non-US people did, I know I had never heard of the book before this.

I read it as a kid (in England)- a quick call around the office gets me blank stares, but they're mostly young'uns.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 14, 2009, 06:47:38 AM

In the late 60s, early 70s, it was actually quite a controversial book in the US. Sendak had demonstrations of concerned-mothers groups picketing some of his signings after the book was published. But since then it's morphed into "beloved classic" and it's very nearly mandatory reading.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 14, 2009, 07:10:04 AM

I read it as a kid (in England)- a quick call around the office gets me blank stares, but they're mostly young'uns.

Guess I'm just in the wrong generation then

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: October 14, 2009, 07:24:51 AM

Maybe I don't remember it well enough, since I haven't read it since I was like 3, but what was so controversial?
Broughden
Terracotta Army

I put the 'shill' in 'cockmonkey'.

Reply #22 on: October 14, 2009, 10:25:09 AM

In the late 60s, early 70s, it was actually quite a controversial book in the US. Sendak had demonstrations of concerned-mothers groups picketing some of his signings after the book was published. But since then it's morphed into "beloved classic" and it's very nearly mandatory reading.

I didnt like it as a kid. Thought the story and art work of the book sucked. Richard Scary books were my favorite illustrated books as a kid.
I was more into the brothers Grimm, and Hans Christian Anderson and finally got into Tolkien.

The wave of the Reagan coalition has shattered on the rocky shore of Bush's incompetence. - Abagadro
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: October 14, 2009, 10:48:35 AM

I have two acquaintences with tats of Max in his monster suit.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #24 on: October 14, 2009, 11:05:52 AM

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfmoms/detail?entry_id=49362
Reporter: "What do you say to parents who think the Wild Things film may be too scary?"

Sendak: "I would tell them to go to hell. That's a question I will not tolerate."

Reporter: "Because kids can handle it?"

Sendak: "If they can't handle it, go home. Or wet your pants. Do whatever you like. But it's not a question that can be answered."

Jonze: "Dave, you want to field that one?"

Eggers: "The part about kids wetting their pants? Should kids wear diapers when they go to the movies? I think adults should wear diapers going to it, too. I think everyone should be prepared for any eventuality."

Sendak: "I think you're right. This concentration on kids being scared, as though we as adults can't be scared. Of course we're scared. I'm scared of watching a TV show about vampires. I can't fall asleep. It never stops. We're grown-ups; we know better, but we're afraid."

Reporter: "Why is that important in art?"

Sendak: "Because it's truth. You don't want to do something that's all terrifying. I saw the most horrendous movies that were unfit for child's eyes. So what? I managed to survive."
jason
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: October 14, 2009, 12:14:22 PM

I don't think any kids will be scared by this film.

Bored, probably, but not scared.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #26 on: October 14, 2009, 03:21:38 PM

New full trailer is up.  Jonze seems like a good match for the material so he might be able to pull it off. Will be interesting.

The "material?"  Unless you're saying Spike Jonze is a huge pile of shit then I don't know what you mean.  The illustrations are the only saving grace from that book.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: October 14, 2009, 03:23:35 PM

Mandatory reading?  For who?  Retards?  The book is like 19 pages long with 3 words on each page. 
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: October 14, 2009, 03:50:35 PM

Eggers: "The part about kids wetting their pants? Should kids wear diapers when they go to the movies? I think adults should wear diapers going to it, too. I think everyone should be prepared for any eventuality."
Dave Eggers' humor can get distractingly pedantic in print, but he always interviews well.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: October 14, 2009, 03:57:03 PM

The "material?"  Unless you're saying Spike Jonze is a huge pile of shit then I don't know what you mean.  The illustrations are the only saving grace from that book.

Holy god, but you can be a cunt.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #30 on: October 14, 2009, 06:29:57 PM

I was born in the late seventies and never heard of this book until the media slapped me in the face and told me it was a classic a couple years ago. Mostly when I was watching that one Simpsons episode like "Am I supposed to know what the fuck is going on here?"

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: October 14, 2009, 07:33:52 PM

Isn't there some statute of limitations against making a douchey reply to a 7-month old post?

-H.L. Mencken
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: October 14, 2009, 09:36:40 PM

Isn't there some statute of limitations against making a douchey reply to a 7-month old post?

But then you're just out and out banning him from necroing any discussion.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: October 14, 2009, 11:36:41 PM

Well to be honest, I generally agree with everything you say.  I'm probably your biggest fan.  But what the fuck do you see in Where The Wild Things Are?  I don't get it.  It's a childrens book, and a shitty one at that.  It doesn't even have a point.  The kid gets in trouble then has a fucked out dream and then his Mom gives him dinner anyway even though he didn't do shit.   There's no literary merit.  The pictures are cool, that's it.  It also does the fucked out kiddy book cop-out where they stretch out sentences ("And he sailed, and sailed, and sailed *FLIP THE PAGE* and sailed some more!")
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: October 14, 2009, 11:38:15 PM

You probably hate Shel Silverstein too.

-H.L. Mencken
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Where the Wild Things Are  
Jump to: