Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:40:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Where the Wild Things Are 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where the Wild Things Are  (Read 20774 times)
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #70 on: October 19, 2009, 10:46:35 AM

1.)  I've never heard of anybody not reading this book until I read this thread.  I thought it was pretty much mandatory along with Hungary Caterpillar.

2.)  Why the fuck are some of you trying to compare this book to real actual literature (like Brother's Grimm or fucking Animal Farm.  You fuckers weren't reading those books when you were 5, no matter what you say)?  This is a picture book for 4-5 year olds just learning to read, and a great one at that.  Hell, its my 2 year old nephew's favorite book to be read to him, and he still can't string out a coherent sentence yet.  It is a children's book classic, not a literary classic.

Fuck.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
jason
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: October 19, 2009, 11:51:41 AM

1.)  I've never heard of anybody not reading this book until I read this thread.  I thought it was pretty much mandatory along with Hungary Caterpillar.
This thread marks the first I've heard of The Very Hungry Caterpillar.  Not everyone's childhood was identical.  There are many thousands of children's books, and there isn't a single one you can say everyone has read.
Broughden
Terracotta Army

I put the 'shill' in 'cockmonkey'.

Reply #72 on: October 19, 2009, 01:20:34 PM

2.)  Why the fuck are some of you trying to compare this book to real actual literature (like Brother's Grimm or fucking Animal Farm.  You fuckers weren't reading those books when you were 5, no matter what you say)?  This is a picture book for 4-5 year olds just learning to read, and a great one at that.  Hell, its my 2 year old nephew's favorite book to be read to him, and he still can't string out a coherent sentence yet.  It is a children's book classic, not a literary classic.

Fuck.

Did you read any Richard Scary picture books? No? Then shut the fuck up about what is and is not central to a good childhood.
And why the fuck would anyone read a book to their child about a Hungarian caterpillar?
 why so serious?

The wave of the Reagan coalition has shattered on the rocky shore of Bush's incompetence. - Abagadro
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: October 19, 2009, 02:19:58 PM

Who did the one with the Edge of Nowhere and the Trollusk and Typhoonigator? That was some good shit. Someone should do a movie about that.

Edit: But make it real and gritty and dark.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #74 on: October 19, 2009, 03:04:28 PM

Did you read any Richard Scary picture books? No? Then shut the fuck up about what is and is not central to a good childhood.

I read a lot of Richard Scarry in my youth, and I find it somewhat preposterous that you prefer Scarry's Korean-sweatshop-style artwork over Sendak's stuff.  As a kid I liked them both, but Sendak definitely stands the test of time better.  I have a hard time even remembering now what I liked about Scarry's work, other than that there was a lot of it.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #75 on: October 19, 2009, 04:48:24 PM

Lowly the worm rocked, yo.

I liked that ever damn thing was labeled, and you could make up tons of stories for the background events of the pictures.  Tons and tons of art.   I never read Where the Wild Things Are until my parents bought it for my four-years-younger brother and by that time I was 11 and disinterested.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #76 on: October 19, 2009, 04:50:18 PM

Where the fuck did I describe what makes a good child hood?  I'm just laughing at the people who seem to be claiming they were reading War and Peace when they were 5.  Richard Scarry books are fine (and I had many).  Though I agree with Sam, Wild Things artwork blows them out of the water.
This thread marks the first I've heard of The Very Hungry Caterpillar.  Not everyone's childhood was identical.  There are many thousands of children's books, and there isn't a single one you can say everyone has read.
True, just saying I was shocked because I literally don't know a single person in real life who hasn't read these books as children.  Some people asked earlier about how popular this book was, and this was a response to that.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: October 19, 2009, 06:19:20 PM

Where the fuck did I describe what makes a good child hood?  I'm just laughing at the people who seem to be claiming they were reading War and Peace when they were 5.  Richard Scarry books are fine (and I had many).  Though I agree with Sam, Wild Things artwork blows them out of the water.

True, just saying I was shocked because I literally don't know a single person in real life who hasn't read these books as children.  Some people asked earlier about how popular this book was, and this was a response to that.

You're missing the point, slightly, though I didn't exactly expand on it too much, because it started as snark.

Where the Wild Things Are doesn't need a movie.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: October 19, 2009, 07:43:44 PM

How many film adaptations really needed (or warranted) a movie?
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: October 19, 2009, 08:45:27 PM

Broughden
Terracotta Army

I put the 'shill' in 'cockmonkey'.

Reply #80 on: October 19, 2009, 09:07:16 PM

You sure its not 42?

(Teleku, stay calm, the smiley face meant I was being snarky)

The wave of the Reagan coalition has shattered on the rocky shore of Bush's incompetence. - Abagadro
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: October 19, 2009, 10:09:54 PM

The ones where they aren't using name-dropping techniques on par with the worst WoW realm forum to dig up the corpse of and skull fuck your childhood?  But yeah, just because they do it constantly doesn't mean they shouldn't cut that shit out and revive something worth watching.  On the other hand, maybe we're lucky it's this way.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: October 19, 2009, 10:25:29 PM

My wife was aghast when she discovered that I had never read, let alone heard of, Goodnight Moon.  So yes, this.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #83 on: October 20, 2009, 12:40:26 AM

My wife was aghast when she discovered that I had never read, let alone heard of, Goodnight Moon.  So yes, this.

I had the pop-up edition of that one.  It was my favorite book for a while.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #84 on: October 20, 2009, 01:13:25 AM

I liked Roald Dahl.  That's the earliest author I remember liking.  George's Marvelous Medicine truly was marvelous, no?
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: October 20, 2009, 11:39:16 AM

Trivia: of the current top 20 films listed on IMDB, 11* are adaptations of novels/short stories, 2 are adaptations of stage plays and 1 is based on a comic book.

*Strictly speaking there are only 9 as Godfather 1 & 2 and Lord of the Rings 1 & 3 arguably both come from the same book.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #86 on: October 20, 2009, 11:51:00 AM

I liked Roald Dahl.  That's the earliest author I remember liking.

I also loved me some Roald Dahl, but not until I was at least 5 or 6 and able to tackle long chunks of text solo.  I suspect at some point you read picture books (or had them read to you) and enjoyed them, much as it may pain you to think of it now.  wink

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: October 20, 2009, 01:36:06 PM

The Fantastic Mr. Fox movie comes out soon; I'm quite excited about that.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #88 on: October 20, 2009, 11:02:16 PM

I liked Roald Dahl.  That's the earliest author I remember liking.

I also loved me some Roald Dahl, but not until I was at least 5 or 6 and able to tackle long chunks of text solo.  I suspect at some point you read picture books (or had them read to you) and enjoyed them, much as it may pain you to think of it now.  wink

Oh hell yeah.  Don't conflate what I'm saying with what some other people were saying.  I don't remember reading Where The Wild Things Are but I'm sure it was awesome at the time.  I wasn't reading Percy Bysshe Shelley at the age of seven (still ain't).  I just thought it was funny that someone was talking about a director being "right for the material" when the material is a shitty picture book. Then everyone attacked me for 2 pages and claimed I had pooped out my soul.  Just because I liked something when I was five doesn't mean it's awesome.  Children's books suck dick.  It's because children are basically miniature retarded people, but way cuter.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 11:04:02 PM by dusematic »
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: October 24, 2009, 02:35:45 PM

Well, aside from whatever you think of the Sendak book, the movie is just not very good. Visually interesting. But very morose, neurotic emotional mood. Not even a deep Freudian kind of neurotic, either...sort of American-suburban domesticated psychoanalytic mode. Seems to me to be missing both the bacchanal feeling of the middle of the book and more primal, elemental childhood feelings.
VainEldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: November 03, 2009, 02:25:20 AM

From the trailer this movie does not look anywhere near dark enough nor scary enough. I was terrified of the Wild Things when I was a wee lad, but the Wild Things in the movie look like giant muppets (they even walk and move like man-in-costume muppets).

Wild Things should be dark and scary as in "big monster dark and scary" - but the genuinely disturbing dark corner of the nursery soul still belongs to Grim's fairytales: dancing in red hot iron shoes until you die, eyes pecked out by crows - this is what kids need to scare the crap out of them, not muppets.

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #91 on: November 03, 2009, 08:16:51 AM

The movie was actually a fair bit darker and scarier than the book IMO.  Max never seems terrified for his life in the book.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: November 03, 2009, 09:07:15 AM

I dunno, the monsters aren't exactly happy in the book when Max decides to split.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Where the Wild Things Are  
Jump to: