Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:32:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: State of the game [Fucked] 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: State of the game [Fucked]  (Read 116292 times)
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #210 on: March 20, 2009, 05:32:21 PM

I would've been an Alb because of the highlanders, but Ingmar was already playing Midgard. And in the long run, I ended up with a huge fondness for Midgard, to the point where if a game came out where vikings were a side, I'd pick that. ASSUMING THEY LET GIRLS BE TANKS, DESTRUCTION.

God Save the Horn Players
Redgiant
Terracotta Army

Reply #211 on: March 20, 2009, 06:45:14 PM

I'm there and that's where I was before but I still don't see it. Billing gives me the option to select payment method - CC or time card. Under subscriptions, update renewal it just lets me specify 1, 3, 6 month billing cycles. I don't see cancel anywhere.

From the support website:
To cancel your account, please log into the account management website.  Once the account screen loads, click on the red Cancel Subscription button for the correct product account.  Confirm your cancellation by clicking the Yes button.

Your account will still be active until the remaining subscription runs out.  Refunds will not be given on remaining subscription time.
+++

Me thinks you canceled previously, and are looking for the spiritual release of canceling yet again.  While I sympathize, I fear they will not oblige your urge.

Try this thread:
Unable to cancel account

Maybe that person can help.

I will be horrified but not surprised if their cancellation for the trial is: Press the Red button that won't even show up until your trial ends and your auto-subscription begins, thus getting a one-time forced biilling.

A FUCKING COMPANY IS AT STEAK
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #212 on: March 20, 2009, 07:56:04 PM

From my personal experience, I was able to cancel during the first day of the trial period.  It was, as noted, a red 'cancel' button.  I'm still able to play for the remainder of the 10 days if I wish. 
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #213 on: March 20, 2009, 08:00:18 PM

I had no problem cancelling either.  None at all. 

I wonder what the issue is?  Sorry to hear you're having trouble.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #214 on: March 20, 2009, 10:02:17 PM

I wonder what the issue is? 

The game is Warhammer Online. I think the answer points to itself.

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #215 on: March 21, 2009, 06:54:58 AM

I like the idea that if I jump wildly as a solo into a group of 5 toons that I might be able to take one or two of them out before I die.

'jumping in wildly as solo' and expecting to take one or two out isn't a good thing to put in PVP game. It sounds like you might have better luck playing a grenadier in FPS shooters. Strike at Karkand C4-ing alley was my fondest memory of being reckless and still being effective cause medics would put you back in action so fast.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 09:27:11 AM by rk47 »

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: March 21, 2009, 03:45:58 PM

Strange, I can't get past lvl 5 or 6, the 3rd battleground (or whatever they are called) with retarded, non-communicating allies breaks be everytime.

If a game feels grindy at lvl 6, something is wrong.  why so serious?

Especially if people keep saying that this is the best part...  swamp poop

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #217 on: March 21, 2009, 04:18:33 PM

Which race?  Dwarf was painful, and Human only tolerable because I found a good RP group I gained several levels with.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #218 on: March 21, 2009, 06:31:19 PM

Which race?  Dwarf was painful, and Human only tolerable because I found a good RP group I gained several levels with.
All of them so far, haven't tried Dwarf yet.  ACK!

Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #219 on: March 21, 2009, 06:57:25 PM

DorfxOrc are the better pve ones. HExDE is unfinished trash. ExC has the best RvR area.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #220 on: March 22, 2009, 08:18:20 AM

I found the game started to really drag once I got a few levels into T2, but really most people here started experiencing the pain in T3 reportedly.  So I don't know.

The empire/chaos lands were the best imo.  I liked the early greenskin quests, but found it frustrating with all the mountains and valleys that made travel so slow.  The elf lands were just, uggh.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #221 on: March 22, 2009, 07:35:36 PM

I like the idea of individual PVP viability.  I like the idea that if I jump wildly as a solo into a group of 5 toons that I might be able to take one or two of them out before I die.
In order for that to happen everything else being equal you'd need to either have 5x the health or 5x the damage output of people you "jump wildly". Or some mix of these advantages leading to similar effect. Simply so you can last long enough to get the kill(s).

That's not really liking the idea of individual PvP viability but rather liking the idea of being the star in your personal movie, with other people playing secondary roles. The individual PvP viability is more in being on equal footing with another individual, rather than being complete cannon fodder because that other guy has 5x the health or damage output.

You can have what you like in a single player game or in the PvE where the foozles don't get their feelings hurt and are made individually weaker for this very purpose, but in the MMO where every of those five guys you "widly jump" pays the same subscription fee, they expect similar level of strength, not 1/5th of it. And so the viability of jumping gets limited to similar numbers. If you're alone, well, you better make sure the guy you're jumping doesn't have a friend ready to jump you in turn.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 07:47:54 PM by tmp »
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #222 on: March 22, 2009, 08:31:01 PM

Having never played this game and just being made aware of the trial i deigned to play it. Im not going to wax poetical on specifics so ill just give a brief summary. I found the game very disappointing and after around 5 hours i had no desire to log back in. I completely missed whatever the "hook" was supposed to be and found it to boring very quickly.

Strangely i also found the game to look aesthetically ass. In WoW the first time entering a major city i was vastly impressed with it. In WHO at no point was did i feel impressed or "immersed" in the environment at all. Im not sure if im viewing WoW with rose tinted glasses or just did not reach that point in WHO. Is the lack of being immersed something others noticed? Feeling "involved" in a setting is a massive requirement for me in any game and i have never "role played". The lack of that sensation pretty much aborted my attempt to play it before i started.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #223 on: March 22, 2009, 08:32:37 PM

I found the game started to really drag once I got a few levels into T2, but really most people here started experiencing the pain in T3 reportedly.  So I don't know.

The empire/chaos lands were the best imo.  I liked the early greenskin quests, but found it frustrating with all the mountains and valleys that made travel so slow.  The elf lands were just, uggh.

I had the exact same experience as you did.  I don't think I got past level 16 before I just couldn't take it anymore.  I can't remember for sure as it was a pretty easy decision to make.  

My bright wizard (orginal character was a dwarf eng) was made when I was kind of bored and it was late; I liked the PVE so much more that I stuck with it. Too bad it all turned to garbage in the tier 2 content.  Whoever coded the monster behavior/pathing should never get a job in this industry again.

-Rasix
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: March 23, 2009, 09:43:55 AM

If WAR harnessed the fun of levels 9-11, the game would be a reasonable success. 

Remove the grind.  Remove all the cc.  Remove the worthless and boring pve.  Remove levels 1-8, 12-19, 22-29, and 32-38.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: March 23, 2009, 10:57:06 AM

If WAR harnessed the fun of  9-11, the game would be a reasonable success. 

You sir, are a terrorist.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #226 on: March 23, 2009, 11:17:15 AM

That is so  awesome, for real that we can't possibly go up from there.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 11:19:45 AM by Itto »

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: March 23, 2009, 11:46:50 AM

You sir, are a terrorist.

That line gave me more laughter than the entirety of my time in WAR.

You win the thread.

-  Mark Twain
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #228 on: March 23, 2009, 06:22:59 PM

You used the forbidden numbers. I'mma screenshot this and parade it in the interweb. (or was it intentional) Either way:  why so serious?

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #229 on: March 23, 2009, 08:11:51 PM

You used the forbidden numbers. I'mma screenshot this and parade it in the interweb. (or was it intentional) Either way:  why so serious?

He cut out the word "levels" from my quote.  It made it funnier... so it's allowed.

-  Mark Twain
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: March 23, 2009, 10:35:03 PM

Ok, it took me this long to figure out what the hell you guys are laughing about.  swamp poop

awesome, for real

Redgiant
Terracotta Army

Reply #231 on: March 24, 2009, 10:36:26 AM

Make sure you use Itto's pic for it too.

A FUCKING COMPANY IS AT STEAK
Sutro
Terracotta Army

Reply #232 on: March 27, 2009, 09:46:33 AM

Just got through playing the trial up to rank9/ren8, I may play a little bit longer but it's not grabbing me. Just going to throw out random thoughts.

For the life of me, I don't understand how you can spend double-digit millions on a game and it still look so -bland.- I'm not a huge graphics guy, but the lack of something like LOTRO's environmental 'haze' that softens everything, or a distinctive pop fantasy art style like WOW, is really noticeable, especially compared with what else is out there.

I don't think I read a single piece of quest text after the first hour. I don't necessarily know why. But one thing that really stuck out to me is that since you've got 24 fucking classes, there's no way to make any sort of 'individualized' experience for each class. That was something that really jumped out at me about LOTRO and, to  a lesser extent, WOW and the EQs... the individual class quests where you really 'get' what you're doing.

Also, I think a good bit of it is just information overload. When you kick into the game, you're confronted with -massive- amounts of lore and background in tons of different areas, especially if you go straight to PvP. There's something to be said for controlling the flow of info that the player gets. I mean, how many people have been crying out on Internet forums for more lore in recent MMOs? For that matter, I think it's better to let your fans be a little deterministic about how your world grows up. And the approach that the original EQ took, to go lore-light and let the players come to their own conclusions about the content, is, I think, still a valid option.

I'm not so sure that "straight to RVR!" is that great of an idea. I don't mind taking a night or two to get the feel of my class.

Does everything have a goddamn meter? I've never seen so many progression paths and ranks and bars and things to fill up in my entire playing experience.

And, yeah, even in the T1 experience the AI and pathing are, seriously, barely reaching 10-year-old standards.

I've really got to agree with the subject heading of this thread. I played Tabula Rasa for far longer than I'll play this one and had a good bit of fun for a while; I even gave Auto Assault a few nights because destructible terrain is cool. There's just no cool points about this game, other than a couple of gee whiz moments about public quests.

I think this game will probably live longer than it should because 1.) the marketing has actually been quite good, and 2.) with the economy in the shitter, I'm pretty sure the tax benefits that EA could get from shitcanning it would be minimal. If this game was released in a positive economic climate, I'm not sure it would live outside a year.

Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #233 on: March 27, 2009, 12:12:07 PM

I don't think I read a single piece of quest text after the first hour. I don't necessarily know why. But one thing that really stuck out to me is that since you've got 24 fucking classes, there's no way to make any sort of 'individualized' experience for each class. That was something that really jumped out at me about LOTRO and, to  a lesser extent, WOW and the EQs... the individual class quests where you really 'get' what you're doing.

Been said to death, but yeah. That applies to racial pairing also. Example - f you're an elf, and go to the dwarf/greenskin pairing, then as far as the quests are concerned, you're a dwarf. Pretty much a carryover from where you could level up just through doing your own pairing (and were therefore expected to) - and became ridiculous when the XP rates were nerfed.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #234 on: March 27, 2009, 02:41:19 PM

I mean, how many people have been crying out on Internet forums for more lore in recent MMOs? For that matter, I think it's better to let your fans be a little deterministic about how your world grows up. And the approach that the original EQ took, to go lore-light and let the players come to their own conclusions about the content, is, I think, still a valid option.

<--- always wants more lore. I think the one thing that Mythic got completely right in this game was the Tome of Knowledge and I wish all the MMOs I played had something like it.

That said, the deterministic thing can be cool too, but it isn't really going to happen for a game based on an existing IP like this, and GW isn't exactly known for being fast and loose with what they let people do with their IP.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: State of the game [Fucked]  
Jump to: