Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:34:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: TERA Online from Bluehole Studio 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TERA Online from Bluehole Studio  (Read 431524 times)
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #175 on: January 20, 2011, 11:56:21 AM

Why are they so determined to keep non-Koreans out? I guess developers are generally keen to control access to betas, but posts here suggest this is part of a general pattern with MMO services in Korea. Anyone know what's up with that?

I thought S. Korea mandated game companies to take SSN Numbers so they could track play-time and the such, which as a side effect makes it impossible for people without one to apply.
DaZog
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: April 04, 2011, 01:08:04 PM

Arise!

Anyone get a chance to play during this weekend's play event?

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: April 04, 2011, 02:43:49 PM

Before the weekend event happened would have been a good time to bump this me thinks :)

I am the .00000001428%
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: April 04, 2011, 03:53:56 PM

Er, yeah.  I didn't know there was an event.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
DaZog
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: April 04, 2011, 06:01:49 PM

I didn't hear about it until it was too late myself.

Judging from the reactions, it seems it slipped by everyones notice  awesome, for real
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: April 05, 2011, 10:37:36 AM

You didnt miss much unless you WANT another Korean grinder
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: April 05, 2011, 06:19:48 PM

I lost interest when the thread I was following on another site started going into detail about the massive botting epidemic.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
PalmTrees
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: April 18, 2011, 05:45:43 PM

Interesting little tidbit over at the Tera site, http://www.tera-online.com/content/cpe-numbers. Charts and graphs of the class/race distributions during a recent closed beta event. Also attack power, money earned, crafting.

That attack power graph was odd. The lower brackets of level 17 having the same attack power as the higher brackets of level 2. They attributed it to class differences.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: April 19, 2011, 05:18:13 AM

Enchantable weapons....if its anything like that cluster f*ck of an enchanting system in Aion(including manastones) I will literally go to their office and kick someone in the balls. 
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: April 19, 2011, 05:50:50 AM

Enchantable weapons....if its anything like that cluster f*ck of an enchanting system in Aion(including manastones) I will literally go to their office and kick someone in the balls. 

The guy in charge on this was a lead designer on Aion, remember?

And he left NCSoft around the time it was released to the western market.

I foresee even more ridiculousness than Aion had!

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: May 15, 2011, 11:10:25 AM

Testing signup form is here:
http://www.tera-online.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4380

One of my goon friends mentioned some chatter on SA that they do pull from this but I guess even so they haven't grabbed all the goons.  Has anyone here actually signed up for this and got in?

« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 11:12:09 AM by Outlawedprod »
Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: June 04, 2011, 09:19:43 AM

Korean Server merges: 35 to 15.  Always a good sign =p
http://www.mmoculture.com/2011/06/tera-korea-major-server-merge-coming.html

tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #187 on: June 04, 2011, 10:24:45 AM

Ah, crap. It was TERA that i've heard already flopped in Korea, not Arche Age. I guess the server mergers make sense give that.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: June 04, 2011, 10:29:21 AM

Hey, maybe the fact that it flopped in Korea means it hasn't got enough grinding in forced groups for their eastern sensibilities and it will turn out to be the 900-foot Jesus for the west.

why so serious?

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #189 on: June 04, 2011, 11:16:52 AM

Post removed by user.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 04:09:34 PM by Hawkbit »
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: June 04, 2011, 04:23:29 PM

You can't take the soul crushing grind out of a korean mmo.  They tried with Aion, and sure they lowered the exp curve some, but that whole enchanting and socketing system they had was designed by someone who can only orgasm by making people suffer.

I am the .00000001428%
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: June 04, 2011, 06:19:53 PM

By the time this comes out in the US it will already be shut down in Korea. That's assuming it ever comes out - which I'm starting to a doubt a little at this point.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: June 04, 2011, 06:37:12 PM

I'm pretty curious why it's flopping too.  One handed gaming is a huge deal in Korea so I almost wonder if an action game was just a total mismatch for the typical net cafe.

Edit:  Found this gem in the comments of that linked article.

- Way too fast leveling curve that gets you to empty endgame in week or so.

Some other not so good sounding stuff though.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 06:47:34 PM by Amaron »
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: June 04, 2011, 08:30:37 PM

So if they add something to do at level cap, it could be a huge hit in the West!

And since Korean gamers are level grinding fiends, that one week would probably mean it will take about 2 weeks for even your most die-hard Western leveler  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #194 on: June 04, 2011, 09:04:15 PM

A few sources cite the development budget for TERA at US$30m - US$36m, so it's an expensive title to have dropped so quickly.

However, this has happened at the same time as NCsoft is seeing profits drop, so it could be that the S. Korean MMO market is seeing some general declines.

Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: July 26, 2011, 04:52:14 PM

Alpha test this Fall.
http://www.tera-online.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20720

I think the NA release of thiis game will be an interesting study of poor project management.  The time frame they're going to hit will pretty much put them out contention.  Their PR is also very strange.  I looked over their twitter and they certain spit out a bunch of useless junk.  If it was SWTOR people would say oh cool more details but the problem these guys have is the game is already been out in Korea for months and there is more uncontrollable info in youtube videos than their PR can ever combat.  People have pretty much made up their minds already.

They would probably have been far better served to launch in June and got a boost from the general mmo pool that is wanting something new.  From that start they could have attempted to build a small following and hoped they could grow it.  At this point I just don't see them growing.  SWTOR and Diablo 3 are coming up and will pretty much dominate the PC RPG market it seems.  If they release Tera deep next year then their next gen graphics and combat system will not have as much of a selling point as there will be other games competing strongly against these bonuses.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: July 26, 2011, 05:28:57 PM

In some sense they've been correct for waiting.   We've had Cataclysm, RIFT, and soon SWTOR all in the time frame they could of released it here.    Their sex sells art style and action combat aren't getting any competitors any time soon.   The western neckbeard crowd isn't all that excited because: Korean.   In general though if you observe other crowds the interest has been very high.   People are getting tired of waiting but I don't see how TERA can do anything but wait till they can slip into an MMO boredom period sometime post Xmas.
Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: July 26, 2011, 05:49:04 PM

In some sense they've been correct for waiting.   We've had Cataclysm, RIFT, and soon SWTOR all in the time frame they could of released it here.    Their sex sells art style and action combat aren't getting any competitors any time soon.   The western neckbeard crowd isn't all that excited because: Korean.   In general though if you observe other crowds the interest has been very high.   People are getting tired of waiting but I don't see how TERA can do anything but wait till they can slip into an MMO boredom period sometime post Xmas.

That's why I said they should have put it out this summer at least an open beta.  We are in the mmo boredom period right now imo.  Cataclysm is clearly well wound down.  Launching post swtor they won't get any of those potential extra customers especially if swtor sticks.  All they'll have is the jrpg type of fanbase which is pretty small.  It will be very hard to grow and hold beyond that.  Launching this summer/fall they would have had a chance to snag some of those bored casuals.  This is pretty much the only reason Aion sold well. People wanted something new.  The market is poisoned for Tera from that but the bottom line is the feedback on the combat has pretty much been universal positive.  This would have given them some leverage.  Plus bored mmo players are usually suckers.  They will always try the next thing =p.  There is no positive for waiting post swtor.  There is no hope of increasing much beyond the jrpg/anime/current_aion_sub type market once swtor launches that I can see.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: July 26, 2011, 07:27:21 PM

That's why I said they should have put it out this summer at least an open beta.  We are in the mmo boredom period right now imo.

Frankly they would of needed it ready right now or a month ago.   Even then releasing before SWTOR has to look a bit iffy right now.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: July 26, 2011, 08:54:29 PM

Better to grab people after they leave SWTOR and use that time to polish up the game than put out a work-in-translation that SWTOR siphons away forever.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #200 on: July 26, 2011, 11:04:04 PM

TERA doesn't compete with SWTOR at all in terms of what kind of itch they scratch beyond them both not being WoW, Star Wars really is just WoW with dialogue options so I think TERA is fine on that front. Diablo is a huge problem but do people really believe its coming out this year?

If I was them I'd run an ad campaign on a shitton of f2p mmo sites and anime sites make sure I'd toned down the Koreanness of the game as much as possible then doubled whatever exp gain that got me and get it out there once its good and ready, preferably around the holidays.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: July 27, 2011, 02:20:31 AM

They would probably have been far better served to launch in June and got a boost from the general mmo pool that is wanting something new.  From that start they could have attempted to build a small following and hoped they could grow it.  At this point I just don't see them growing.  SWTOR and Diablo 3 are coming up and will pretty much dominate the PC RPG market it seems.  If they release Tera deep next year then their next gen graphics and combat system will not have as much of a selling point as there will be other games competing strongly against these bonuses.

Trying to time your release based on windows in the market vs when the game is actually ready has fucked over a bunch of companies.

I can see delaying a game that is essentially done to hit some desired window but pushing a game out early is generally a bad idea, especially for a game that relies on long-haul players and word of mouth. A lot of people are going to beat Diablo 3 in a week and stop playing. Shooting yourself in the foot to beat it to market seems like a terrible idea, especially when timing it is impossible.

I think if you look at the history of MMOs that launched to try to pre-empt something on the horizon in retrospect most of those were terrible decisions.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 02:23:05 AM by Margalis »

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #202 on: July 30, 2011, 05:31:20 AM

I guess that discussion we had is pretty moot now.  According to the Internets: "Yong-Hyun Park (lead dev) left the Blue Hole Studios."  In other news the North American branch En Masse lost another community director.  They're definitely not ready to launch now.
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #203 on: August 03, 2011, 09:09:29 AM

Well they've set a release date of Spring 2012

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20110803005656/en/En-Masse-Entertainment-Announces-Launch-Timing-Acclaimed

Looks like the next 6 months or so are going to be pretty busy. Wonder if ArenaNet will also announce a Spring 2012 date for GW2 at Pax.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: August 03, 2011, 09:45:28 AM

Well they've set a release date of Spring 2012

Award-Winning Action MMORPG PC Title Scheduled to Launch Spring 2012
Wonder if it actually won anything. And if it did, then what it was.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: August 03, 2011, 11:48:45 AM

No thanks.  I have some friends who beta'd this and it would come as no surprise it has grind in many areas just like Aion.  Clearly they havent learned much and plan to carry that same design mentality over to this title.  Id rather slam my dick in a car door then touch this. 
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #206 on: August 03, 2011, 01:32:48 PM

Id love to play this if I could for free.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #207 on: August 03, 2011, 01:42:19 PM

Id love to play a lot of these off-mainstream MMOs if I could for free.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: August 03, 2011, 02:51:19 PM

In all MMOs you either grind to get to level cap or grind once you get there no?

tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #209 on: August 03, 2011, 03:12:18 PM

"or"? Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 26 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: TERA Online from Bluehole Studio  
Jump to: