Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:40:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Warhammer Online Server Dead Pool 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Warhammer Online Server Dead Pool  (Read 300599 times)
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #350 on: May 19, 2010, 06:28:22 PM

Patch 1.3.5 came out today, and all the servers are down due to problems lol

http://herald.warhammeronline.com/warherald/NewsArticle.war?id=1095
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #351 on: May 19, 2010, 09:00:58 PM

Let's see...we've got a game that's utter fail, we can't even roll out a working patch...how can we smarten ourselves up and not look like utter buffoons...I KNOW! LET'S PARAPHRASE WHAT IS POSSIBLY THE CHEESIEST 80'S SONG EVAR TO PROMOTE OUR GAME!!!

Mythic proportions.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #352 on: May 19, 2010, 10:57:49 PM

Let's see...we've got a game that's utter fail...

That's the tragedy. The game didn't have to be a total fail.  There were some components of this game that were very good.  Sadly, they were overshadowed by a severe lack of focus and an unimaginative tapestry of tacked on gameplay elements laced with a soul-crushing grind. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #353 on: May 20, 2010, 01:03:40 PM

That's the tragedy. The game didn't have to be a total fail.  There were some components of this game that were very good.  Sadly, they were overshadowed by a severe lack of focus and an unimaginative tapestry of tacked on gameplay elements laced with a soul-crushing grind. 

There was a lot of good in this game, so much potential thrown away.  I loved the classes, a lot of the scenarios were very fun, i liked parts of their siege and open world pvp.  But everything was wrapped in so much shit you couldn't just pick out the good parts and enjoy them.

I am the .00000001428%
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #354 on: May 20, 2010, 01:25:24 PM

Those changes look mostly good.  A pity they're probably not enough to get people to come back, but that'd require NGE levels of redo at this point.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #355 on: May 20, 2010, 02:48:33 PM

Don't forget the real gamebreaker: it periodically costs 800 dollars. This game could grant eternal life and I wouldn't fucking touch it because of that.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #356 on: May 20, 2010, 03:31:34 PM

Of course.  I was toying with the notion of re-upping DAoC right before the overcharging, but that put paid to any notion of my ever paying Mythic a red cent.
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #357 on: May 20, 2010, 05:19:27 PM

Don't forget the real gamebreaker: it periodically costs 800 dollars. This game could grant eternal life and I wouldn't fucking touch it because of that.

Sounds like you don't know the value of a dollar.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #358 on: May 20, 2010, 06:31:17 PM

It's about how much I'm paying NOW
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #359 on: May 24, 2010, 07:18:18 PM

Perhaps on release, but I've been playing for a good 6 months now, and I disagree. I have never played an MMOG where characters level faster. 1-40 in 4 days played. Perhaps there are others that level that fast now, but I don't know. Now, mind you, that's 1-40 with renown at 34 in 4 days played. To get to renown 80 will take much longer, but no worries there because RvR is quite fun for me. For others, it may not be, but especially with the last patch, things have gotten better. The jury is still out on whether or not Sorcerers and Bright Wizards still stomp groups. In my encounters against BWs, I've seen a lot less of them and the ones I do see are no longer specced for AoE bombing. It's not anywhere near as efficient as before.

My Sorcerers damage seems a bit lower and slower, but I'll need to see how it pans out. Re-adjusting to an old spec. A friend and I are going to try to mirror specs between his BW and my Sorc as he claims his damage is way up now. We shall see. But I ramble...

Overall, I have a very fun time playing this game. It reminds me a lot of DAoC with the RvR, but the classes are just unique enough to offer a nice change from the usual fantasy fare. The trappings are still there, but the duties are spread around a bit differently and the play mechanics of the classes add a nice touch of challenge.

So yes, perhaps from a subscriber perspective, the game has failed. But from my play perspective, I can't think of another MMOG I enjoy more at this point. DAoC and WAR have spoiled me. Their RvR implementations (a nod to SB for their implementation of PvP as well) are what I think MMOGs should be focused on.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #360 on: May 24, 2010, 09:45:17 PM

Perhaps on release, but I've been playing for a good 6 months now, and I disagree. I have never played an MMOG where characters level faster. 1-40 in 4 days played. Perhaps there are others that level that fast now, but I don't know. Now, mind you, that's 1-40 with renown at 34 in 4 days played.

DAoC is about 18-24 hours played to cap (longer depending on class).  GW you can have a cap level toon ready for pvp immediately, but will be less than optimal.  In a day you can get it modestly geared and skilled.  Both GW and DAoC were better PvP MMO's.  We can also add EvE to the list... don't want to omit that one.

I may have to revisit WAR.  I enjoyed my shaman and zealot enough that giving them a second look may be worth $15.  Sadly, without a regular group to play with I fear the PUGs would be frightening.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #361 on: May 24, 2010, 11:06:37 PM

When did that happen to DAOC? o.O

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #362 on: May 25, 2010, 12:52:13 AM

When did that happen to DAOC? o.O

Like 3 years ago? Even excluding the super power leveling group or whatever, most combat classes can churn out those solo instance dungeon quest things ridiculously easy for very fast XP.

It's totally soul crushingly boring, to a point where you fucking wonder why the game has levels at all anymore, but it is indeed very fast.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #363 on: May 25, 2010, 09:11:25 AM

It's comically fast to level in DAoC if you're willing to drag a lowbie around in an RvR group.  I remember going from level 23 to level 25 in two oil pours at a siege while leveling my druid.  The XP gain tapers off around the mid to upper 30s, but from there it's not too bad to drag someone around any of the RvR dungeons to chain purple mobs.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #364 on: May 25, 2010, 09:31:05 AM

I leveled a vampire a couple of years ago doing nothing but instances.  I started with no money, no gear, and did it all by myself.  1-50 took 18h and would have been even faster if I hadn't bothered helping friends. 

-  Mark Twain
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #365 on: May 25, 2010, 12:00:34 PM

even with travel?

I went back maybe 2 years ago and couldn't survive as an Alb Wiz against yellows in a dungeon.  Got fed and quit again, since they alternative was to hunt old school.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #366 on: May 25, 2010, 12:23:02 PM

even with travel?

I went back maybe 2 years ago and couldn't survive as an Alb Wiz against yellows in a dungeon.  Got fed and quit again, since they alternative was to hunt old school.

There is like zero travel.  Find the instance dungeon for your level range and do it for 10 levels.  Travel to the next and repeat.

Wizard would suck to solo level and would take a lot longer without being powerleveled.  Friar, Valkyrie, BD, Vamp, Animist, and a few other classes are much easier.  Anything that can self heal or LT goes fast as do pet/pet spam classes. 

-  Mark Twain
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #367 on: May 25, 2010, 12:36:49 PM

Yeah, wizard was the wrong class to try to level first.  If you're wanting to go alb, I'd level a heretic, then use it to farm up the currency in the instances for gear to twink up a wizard.

Oh, and as was already mentioned, there's virtually no travel time.  It's not quite as ridiculous as WoW is currently, but you can get a horse at level 10, and the automated travel routes are decent enough.  Plus there are a couple of portals now that will kindly deposit you in the further away zones.  Travel is nothing like it used to be, where you would easily spend 45 minutes running from Camelot to the tree zone.  Lyonesse?  It's been too long...
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 12:39:40 PM by Soulflame »
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #368 on: May 25, 2010, 12:56:47 PM

Does the Thane still suck?

I'M NOT BITTER!!!
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #369 on: May 25, 2010, 01:03:51 PM

I haven't played in years, but Thanes were still #1 at casting lag hammers of doom!   awesome, for real
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #370 on: May 25, 2010, 01:16:47 PM

Wizard solo would suck. Wizard with a bot is amazing just bolt-pulling nonstop and chugging mana regen/int potions
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #371 on: May 25, 2010, 01:41:55 PM

It's comically fast to level in DAoC if you're willing to drag a lowbie around in an RvR group.  I remember going from level 23 to level 25 in two oil pours at a siege while leveling my druid.  The XP gain tapers off around the mid to upper 30s, but from there it's not too bad to drag someone around any of the RvR dungeons to chain purple mobs.

Only two levels, pfft! My record was like 20 or so  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #372 on: May 27, 2010, 05:40:19 AM

So what was the final word on the charge fiasco? I remember some higher up saying how sorry they all were and handing out free mounts but did they ever offer any assurance that it was well and truly fixed, never to happen again?
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #373 on: May 28, 2010, 12:14:15 PM

So what was the final word on the charge fiasco? I remember some higher up saying how sorry they all were and handing out free mounts but did they ever offer any assurance that it was well and truly fixed, never to happen again?

I don't know if it will never happen again, but I was charged 10 times in the fiasco. During my wedding/honeymoon, no less.

In any case, the money was promptly refunded. As a compensation, every character on my account existing or new that I create, gets two golden writs. These can be used at an NPC for your choice of items ranging from endless bone white/chaos black dye pots, to griffon/wyvern mounts that move slightly faster than the top-end mounts you can buy, to free level scrolls. The three items I listed are really the best thing available to buy, but some people might like the helms that allow you to shapeshift into skeletons, bears, etc.

As the overcharging didn't really impact my money situation, I wasn't terribly put off by it, but I have heard that others had been charged upwards of 30 times and had encountered problems such as over-drafting and over-charging cards. That would definitely have sucked so I can sympathize.

"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #374 on: May 28, 2010, 12:22:10 PM

Perhaps on release, but I've been playing for a good 6 months now, and I disagree. I have never played an MMOG where characters level faster. 1-40 in 4 days played. Perhaps there are others that level that fast now, but I don't know. Now, mind you, that's 1-40 with renown at 34 in 4 days played.

DAoC is about 18-24 hours played to cap (longer depending on class).  GW you can have a cap level toon ready for pvp immediately, but will be less than optimal.  In a day you can get it modestly geared and skilled.  Both GW and DAoC were better PvP MMO's.  We can also add EvE to the list... don't want to omit that one.

I may have to revisit WAR.  I enjoyed my shaman and zealot enough that giving them a second look may be worth $15.  Sadly, without a regular group to play with I fear the PUGs would be frightening.

Yes, PUGs can be an iffy proposition. As far as leveling times, WAR seriously is still not bad. You could probably level faster than I did, but that was a majority of solo leveling with a lot of stopping to do RvR. My Chosen might have leveled a bit faster, but when I hit 40 with him, he was still only at 14 renown since I didn't RvR much on the way to the cap.

However, I've got lots of other alts ranging from levels 9 - 32 that I enjoy playing because the RvR is just plain fun at any level in that game.

I did not know DAoC was such fast leveling these days, but as you stated, sounds a bit boring and instance grinds are no fun. Not that any other MMOG has managed to nail the PvE leveling thing yet (for me). I forgot that with Eve you can jump right in pretty quickly, but I wouldn't compare that as skill levels are constrained by real time, and it does take longer than 4 days played to get your skills to a good level there. But I was never able to really play it much and get too involved in any major PvP because it required a lot of reliance on others who had lots of skill and money, and it always seemed to require a block of several hours to get involved in a big PvP battle.

But I digress, the Eve stuff is right for it. I shouldn't really compare it to WAR. They're both MMOGs, but they're designed to play different as games.

I suppose my point is that WAR is still a lot of fun, and if you're looking for some good RvR, you can jump right in from level 1. There's really no race to get to max level. At least not for me when I play. Hell, with the unlimited trial, you can play any class in the game to level 11 and never have to pay.

ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #375 on: June 05, 2010, 06:37:36 PM

I did a very bad thing.

Who wants a healer on their server?
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #376 on: June 06, 2010, 12:54:59 AM

I don't know if it will never happen again, but I was charged 10 times in the fiasco. During my wedding/honeymoon, no less.

This is why, despite having the boxed game here (unopened - I decided to wait 6 months for them to fix up the game from the inevitable release-bugs.  ACK!) I won't ever give these clowns my CC information. That goes for DAOC, WAR, Mythic, Bioware, right up to any MMO EA decides to shit out.

WAR can wake me when it goes F2P.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #377 on: June 06, 2010, 06:57:33 PM

WAR can wake me when it goes F2P.

I don't think you'll be waiting long, what with LOTRO going that way.  The first tier is pretty busy on all the servers and then it's pretty much dead.  F2P seems like the logical next step.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #378 on: June 06, 2010, 07:14:08 PM

I have to think that EA would sell or pull the plug first. 

-  Mark Twain
Ollie
Terracotta Army

Reply #379 on: June 07, 2010, 01:01:53 AM

It's hard to say. A lot depends on the licensing deal they have with Games Workshop. Who knows what kind of convoluted stipulations they have in there.

If WAR was to go free-to-play, at least the transition would be relatively simple to pull off from a world design perspective. The game is already divided into various chunks with tiers, so there's no open world problem to deal with. Many of the content gates are already in place and just waiting to be monetized.

Hug me, I'm Finnish!
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #380 on: June 07, 2010, 05:18:01 AM

WAR doesn't have the structure to be profitable (or even sustainable) as a free-to-play model.  What do you charge for?  The pve sucks.  The itemization sucks. 

-  Mark Twain
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #381 on: June 07, 2010, 06:46:54 AM

That's not a structure/design issue. It's just a 'this game is not good' issue.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #382 on: June 07, 2010, 07:18:30 AM

WAR doesn't have the structure to be profitable (or even sustainable) as a free-to-play model.  What do you charge for?  The pve sucks.  The itemization sucks. 

PVE is free, Scenarios are 10 cents an hour.  XP pots are a nickel.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #383 on: June 07, 2010, 10:57:15 AM

They should been FTP at release, would have made a fortune just by charging people 5$ per server transfer  why so serious?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #384 on: June 07, 2010, 11:19:14 AM

I have to think that EA would sell or pull the plug first. 

With as many F2P browser-portal MMO's as EA has in development or live right now, I don't think that's the case. Tiger Woods Online, FIFA Online, Battlefield Heroes, Need for Speed World are all going to be F2P with lots of microtransactions. If EA/Mythic can figure out what to charge people for, they will make it F2P in an instant. I can easily seem them offering reduced levelling speed/first 10-20 levels for free, with only 1 or 2 scenarios available for free. Extra scenarios, cosmetic items, increased leveling rates, etc. could all be items for sale in a WAR store.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Warhammer Online Server Dead Pool  
Jump to: