Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:34:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Warhammer Online Server Dead Pool 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Warhammer Online Server Dead Pool  (Read 300622 times)
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #245 on: January 10, 2010, 04:51:01 PM

From Warhammer Alliance.

WHA News - New year, new plans

Quote from: Nattfodd
The new year means new beginnings for Warhammer Alliance. As most of you probably already know I am taking over the position of site manager formerly held by PhoenixRed. And while I'm certainly not looking to jump in and change the site completely, 2010 will still bring a number of changes to WHA.

The biggest change that will easily noticeable by you, the users, will be the greater coverage of the Warhammer universe as a whole. We will be expanding the Warhammer Canon section to include subforums for Dawn of War II, the Table Top games and, when more information is available, the yet unnamed WH40k MMO. We will also be looking for news, avatars and other content to go along with the expanded coverage. I'll have more on the content part at a later date when the details have been nailed down.

There will also be an internal review of the rules and infraction system that we currently have in place. I will be posting a thread for constructive user feedback on these systems soon so please refrain from posting such things in this thread.

Before I conclude I would like to make a couple things very clear. First, the decision to expand coverage to the whole Warhammer universe is not a choice I have made on my own but it is something I have discussed with Curse, PhoenixRed and all of my senior staff members, and we have agreed it is what's best for the site and the community.

And second, our main focus will still be WAR for the foreseeable future. We still are and will continue to be a WAR fansite. There is no hidden commentary in this decision and I am not doing this because I believe WAR to be dying or is not worth focusing my attention on. We simply want to have something for all fans of Warhammer even if they don't play WAR.

That's about it for this post. Please feel free to use this thread to discuss the coverage of other facets of the Warhammer universe, but I remind you not to post rule/infraction feedback here, a thread for that will be coming soon.

Only quoting because I thought the 2nd bold part was funny.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #246 on: January 10, 2010, 07:43:57 PM

Makes sense.

Guess having official forums was a good idea then.  why so serious?

Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #247 on: January 22, 2010, 04:59:03 PM

You know how we used to joke about WAR adding more experience bars?

1.3.4 Preview - Weapons, Scenarios and Campaign Changes (Oh My!)

Quote from: Andy Mythic
Folks,

Everyone has been asking for more details about 1.3.4. Well, while I can't provide the patch notes, just yet, I can certainly give you a bit more information than what was discussed in Bruce's Producers Letter, including a rough timeline:

At this point the plan is to have 1.3.4 on PTS by the first week of February or (at the latest) early the second week of February. Patch notes, of course, will accompany the opening of Warpstone.
We will be introducing an entire new line of weapons earned via RvR (this is the "feature players have been asking for"). These weapons will be purchasable via a vendor and will not be bought using medallions or crests, instead utilizing an entirely new currency system earned via Scenario gameplay from tiers 1-4. More information about these new items and how they're earned will be forthcoming in a Dev Diary with Developer Sean Bosshardt.

Speaking of Scenarios...
We are completely reworking the current structure of Scenarios by removing some of the less popular and streamlining the tiering of Scenarios. There will be more details upcoming in a Dev Diary from Content/RvR Lead Mike Wyatt next month.  
The last tidbit is a change to the way that the campaign functions. Starting with 1.3.4, once a Contested City flips into the Captured state (otherwise called "Stage 2") the Open RvR Campaign will now restart, leaving the realm sieging their enemies city with a tough decision: Stay in the city, possibly defeating your opponent's King, or retreat back to the open field to defend your realm?

So there's a little more meat to some of the changes coming in game update 1.3.4. Obviously we're pretty excited about these items and even more excited to talk about 1.3.5 and beyond in Bruce's next producers letter which will coincide with the launch of 1.3.4 on all live servers. We've had a great 6 months of improving every aspect of WAR and we're more focused than ever on continuing to deliver on what our players want: Fast hitting, skull crushing and engaging Realm vs. Realm combat.

There's never been a better time to join the WAR!

Also I guess they are running out of servers to cut to help scenarios pop, so the next logical step is to cut the number of scenarios.

Edit to add, from the same thread

Quote from: Andy Mythic
Folks,

Obviously it's a little early to be making a lot of speculation regarding how this will effect RvR, but yes, we would naturally expect to see people playing more scenarios with the two changes above in the weeks following the patch (some of it will be players striving to earn new weapons, partly because of the new Scenario structure, partly because it's a lot of "new shiney" features. Players will still have a reason to participate in ORvR for armor and other set pieces, however this now gives a definitive goal for Scenario gameplay.

To address premades vs PUGs: We are not planning to make separate brackets for premades vs PUG's right now. We understand the concerns, however we have never denied that organized groups have an advantage over more disorganized, or PUG, groups.

Interesting as it's not often they actually communicate what they are trying to do.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 05:02:44 PM by Arthur_Parker »
Redgiant
Terracotta Army

Reply #248 on: January 22, 2010, 05:34:41 PM

I read it more as they need density, and Scenarios are easier given the current population levels to be made denser by doing this.

I doubt there is anything they can do for ORvR to obtain that, so why not jump back on the Scenario bandwagon?

I also doubt there are many ORvR purists left in WAR. They have long since gone. The mere 50% vitriolic response to his announcement on the forums shows that (a) there aren't many left who want an ORvR-centric game, or (b) they just don't care to yelll any more. Hell, a year ago it would be more like 98% hate.

A FUCKING COMPANY IS AT STEAK
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #249 on: January 24, 2010, 11:13:21 AM

To address premades vs PUGs: We are not planning to make separate brackets for premades vs PUG's right now. We understand the concerns, however we have never denied that organized groups have an advantage over more disorganized, or PUG, groups.

Too late to do anything about that now, as they just don't have the numbers to start splitting the scenario pops in half. That's going to continue to be a nasty feedback loop though - PUGs get rolled by premades, throw their hands up and quit, leaving fewer people to run scenarios making it harder to seperate them out. As the PUGs dry up, the premades run out of easy prey, and also disappear.

/obvious

Game has lasted longer than I thought it would though.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #250 on: January 25, 2010, 10:21:13 AM

Too late to do anything about that now, as they just don't have the numbers to start splitting the scenario pops in half. That's going to continue to be a nasty feedback loop though - PUGs get rolled by premades, throw their hands up and quit, leaving fewer people to run scenarios making it harder to seperate them out. As the PUGs dry up, the premades run out of easy prey, and also disappear.

/obvious

Game has lasted longer than I thought it would though.

I never understood the silly idea that organized groups should not have an advantage.

I am the .00000001428%
Tuncal
Terracotta Army

Reply #251 on: January 25, 2010, 10:25:25 AM

I never understood the silly idea that organized groups should not have an advantage.
PvP is more fun when the sides are balanced. If one side has such an advantage that it will win 90% of the time, why would the other side ever show up?
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #252 on: January 25, 2010, 10:37:47 AM

They have no choice but to add cross server scenarios at this point, populations are too low to get consistent scenario's to pop
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #253 on: January 25, 2010, 04:35:46 PM

Pretty much as per Tuncal above. Organised groups should have an advantage, but if they're constantly steamrolling pugs, fewer people play in pugs - or they start to drop from matches whenever they recognise premade opposing teams, which in turn drives off the premades.

Big constant disparities between sides only work (and uncomfortably at that) when it feels 'intended' (say as part of storyline), and players can put it down to something other than 'skill', eg. monster play.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #254 on: January 26, 2010, 09:01:05 AM

PvP is more fun when the sides are balanced. If one side has such an advantage that it will win 90% of the time, why would the other side ever show up?

I would understand that completely if it was some sort of game based advantage that made the difference but its ridiculous to want to separate people who play smartly from people who play stupidly.

I am the .00000001428%
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #255 on: January 26, 2010, 09:06:14 AM

I would understand that completely if it was some sort of game based advantage that made the difference but its ridiculous to want to separate people who play smartly from people who play stupidly.

Because a match between Yaxley Under 15s and Manchester United is no fun for either side. Also if the match is very unbalanced then a lot of players on the losing side simply drop out - the better team don't get their victory and everyone ends up frustrated.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #256 on: January 26, 2010, 10:05:15 AM

Warhammer makes the pug vs pre-made battles worse because if the PUG gets steamrolled and basically camped at their spawn not achieving any objectives or getting any kills they literally get nothing for the entire scenario.  Warhammer was horribly scrimpy on giving out reknown points in both RvR and its scenarios.  I can tolerate to some degree getting rolled if I at least get something worth my time in return but being laughed at by the premade while they soak up reknown while I get nothing isnt my idea of good times.  
tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #257 on: January 26, 2010, 10:40:30 AM

I just want to say how  Ohhhhh, I see. that Mtythic is adding yet another reward system.

"Me am play gods"
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #258 on: January 26, 2010, 11:44:35 AM

People will not pay $15 to play as punching bags for other people.  Built group vs PUG is exactly that situation, and it always leads to people exiting the game.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #259 on: January 26, 2010, 11:52:24 AM

They should just take out all the open world content and just have a camp where you queue for scenarios.  Then limit the open world for the T4 stuff.

Now this is a train wreck worth watching because they keep *trying* and failing.  I love this game.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #260 on: January 26, 2010, 12:00:31 PM

For any kind of PvP game, you need to reward participation and allow everyone to actually participate.

As the other already said, paying 15 dollars a month to be spawn camped isn't going to fly.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #261 on: January 28, 2010, 09:10:55 AM

People will not pay $15 to play as punching bags for other people.

Eve Online would disagree with you  Ohhhhh, I see.

Hic sunt dracones.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #262 on: January 28, 2010, 09:49:37 AM

No, it would be the same result in Eve. If the only gameplay was forming a PUG and pressing a button, and one of the outcomes was being dropped into the middle of a Goon or IT battle-fleet, people would pretty quickly be looking for a new game.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #263 on: January 28, 2010, 10:09:15 AM

I thought people paid EvE a sub fee because it was the only way to improve their stats.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #264 on: February 02, 2010, 11:49:39 AM

On test

http://herald.warhammeronline.com/patchnotes/index.php?id=2010_1-3-4#patch:-1_section:1

* The following Scenarios now make up the regularly-offered list: Nordenwatch, Gates of Ekrund, Mourkain Temple, Phoenix Gate, Highpass Cemetery and Battle for Praag. The breakdown of when these Scenarios are offered is as follows:
* Tier 1
- Nordenwatch
- Gates of Ekrund
* Tier 2
- Nordenwatch
- Gates of Ekrund
- Mourkain Temple
* Tier 3
- Nordenwatch
- Gates of Ekrund
- Mourkain Temple
- Phoenix Gate
- Highpass Cemetery
* Tier 4
- Nordenwatch
- Gates of Ekrund
- Mourkain Temple
- Phoenix Gate
- Highpass Cemetery
- Battle for Praag

They killed off Serpents Passage, Gromril and Grovod Cavern scenarios?   Well not like it will matter since scenarios dont pop anyhow and they have no fix in here for cross server scenarios to try and make them pop faster.  I guess they feel that offering this new scenario system and loot will make people start doing scenarios more so they dont have to make them cross server would be my guess.  /fail

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #265 on: February 02, 2010, 12:05:41 PM

Mourkain Temple would suck at high level... so many LoS issues and too little area to move around.  I can't imagine any healers (like I was playing when I quit) wanting to do the smaller BG's at all near cap. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #266 on: February 02, 2010, 12:43:48 PM

I can't remember the names well; did they get rid of the stupid lava one that made T3 so unfun?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #267 on: February 02, 2010, 01:08:02 PM

I liked the smaller scenarios.  The Gates was one of my favorite in tier 1.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #268 on: February 02, 2010, 01:14:09 PM

I can't remember the names well; did they get rid of the stupid lava one that made T3 so unfun?

Tor Anroc, I think.  Yeah, don't see it there; all the scenarios there are from T1 and T2 except Highpass and Praag.  

Weird choices, though.  Nordenwatch, fine.  Mourkain I can see, since it's basically just deathmatch.  Ekrund I really liked, but never seemed to get any play.  Phoenix gate, though?  Go to hell.  Capture the flag blows hard in melee games, it all boils down to classes with ranged cc > all others, especially given the screwy nature of the collision detection.  Highpass cemetery seems weird; it's one of those games where one enemy who gets past your defense can cap the point in three seconds and hold it long enough to win the game.  It's incredibly frustrating in a pug.  And all the old T4 scenarios seemed boring, Praag included.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #269 on: February 02, 2010, 02:46:01 PM

Phoenix gate, though?  Go to hell.  Capture the flag blows hard in melee games, it all boils down to classes with ranged cc > all others, especially given the screwy nature of the collision detection.
Yes and no.  I can't say how it would play past the teens, but when I sat my Swordmaster on the flag, it was rare someone captured it in a fair fight.

I also liked Tor Anroc, although I realize the consensus was it sucked.  Positioning mattered a lot on the map, and if anyone tried to blow me into the lava, they failed then I returned the favor.  I wouldn't use my knockback on the ledges otherwise.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #270 on: February 02, 2010, 03:21:01 PM

Tor Anroc and Mourkain Temple were products of the devil's rancid anus. At least Phoenix's Gate required some thought and had multiple ways to skin the cat. Tor Anroc and Mourkain Temple were the equivalent of two roid-raging retards hammering at each other's dicks with sledges.

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #271 on: February 02, 2010, 10:32:09 PM

Yes and no.  I can't say how it would play past the teens, but when I sat my Swordmaster on the flag, it was rare someone captured it in a fair fight.

Yeah, it was rare that someone captured it.  That's part of the problem, games usually ran the timer down on my server.  A half hour (or whatever) of staring at that fucking flag, because if you take your eyes off it for a minute, some Witch Elf is gonna unstealth, grab it, and if you're a step away when she does, you're never catching up.  You'll be a step behind her the whole way back to her base.  And if you are sitting on that flag, nobody's going to try to charge you solo, so matches tended to be either "screw winning, I'm running with the zerg" or looking at a picture of a flag for a half hour.  I tried making a macro that would automatically target the enemy and hit them with my snare so I could just set a roll of quarters on it or something and read a book until something happened.  So yeah, it was not a scenario I had a lot of fun in.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #272 on: February 03, 2010, 06:16:19 AM

I'm not sure why all scenarios/BGs whatever have to boil down in to some fuck all stupid version of capture the flag.  I guess its a bit much to expect originality from the MMO bunch.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #273 on: February 03, 2010, 06:30:23 AM

People gravitate toward what they are familiar with.  I think capture the flag is a logical BG choice and can be fun depending on implementation.  Where WAR fell down was making the BG that had this element large and at a time in levels where people don't have as much cc as they need to slow the flag thief down. 

-  Mark Twain
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #274 on: February 03, 2010, 06:53:20 AM

I really liked the cemetery, felt like it encouraged smaller groups of 3-4 people rather than a massive zerg.

I liked the troll one also (can't remember the name), it felt like rugby somehow.  This map also rewarded not running in a zerg, although not as much as the cemetery.

I really wish they would make changes that felt like they would improve this game, I had a good time for the first twenty levels.  I would like to revisit it at some point.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #275 on: February 03, 2010, 08:43:10 AM

Some of the games were actually pretty fun but the maps were terrible.

The cemetery was was pretty cool.  Tor Annoc was a decent game as far as the rules and stuff, but the map was shit.  If you died you had to run too far to get back into the action.  It was just irritating.

Gates of Ekrund was perfect.  Back in the action in under 10 seconds.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #276 on: February 03, 2010, 09:31:11 AM

Gates of Ekrund was just a much tinier AB, which really wasn't an improvement in my eyes.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #277 on: February 03, 2010, 11:01:19 AM

Thank god they fucking killed Tor Anroc.

Getting knocked into the pit as a rune priest, then sitting on a stupid rock in the lava spam healing yourself as everyone shot down at you, SO FUN.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #278 on: February 03, 2010, 07:26:07 PM

They killed that alter of khaine one? that was fun :(

Hic sunt dracones.
Pagz
Terracotta Army

I AM GOING TO WRESTLE THIS BEAR WITH MY BARE HANDS!

Reply #279 on: February 04, 2010, 05:52:09 PM

Quote from: Andy
Yo Dawg,

We heard you like currency, so we put some currency in your currency bag so you can spend it while you spend.
I think they realize how silly they're making it.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 20 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Warhammer Online Server Dead Pool  
Jump to: