Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:47:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Warhammer Online Server Dead Pool 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Warhammer Online Server Dead Pool  (Read 300583 times)
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #210 on: December 12, 2009, 01:05:58 AM

Yes, the reroll guilds would help with our extremely rare relic raids (again, we basically needed every 50 to log in to even try), but keeping our frontier clear? Hahahahahahaha. Yeah no.

You MAY have been in the extremely unique snowflake guild that actually helped retake keeps *all the time*, but if you were, it was after I finally gave up the fight. Because there were roughly 15 Mids who would do that even remotely reliably, and I knew all of 'em. And they were not in reroll guilds.

God Save the Horn Players
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #211 on: December 12, 2009, 01:06:51 AM

If the whole economy of the game hadn't been centered around DF access at the time it wouldn't have mattered so much I guess.

EDIT: I should say, some were better/more helpful than others. But the root of the problem was most of the realm saw a situation where we could have put up a fight if we'd been willing to actually all zerg up together, but it would have taken *all* of us. And while I understand intellectually, of course people are entitled to play the game as they want, emotionally it was still annoying to see people running off on their own when if we'd worked completely together we'd have been competitive as a group.

Of course in retrospect that was a pipe dream, given even the people who *tried* to work together would collapse every 3 months over 'too much spam in alliance chat'.  awesome, for real
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 01:13:27 AM by Ingmar »

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #212 on: December 12, 2009, 01:11:42 AM

I dunno, you could tell it would really bug some people to log in and be like "whelp, we only own one of our keeps. AGAIN." I suppose if I was more interested in Emain it wouldn't have bugged me so much, but it was frustrating, demoralizing, and definitely proved to me that three realms ain't no magic population bullet.

Again, I don't CARE if there are three sides, I just don't pretend it does anything other than create three different sides. :P

EDIT FOR INGMAR'S EDIT: I kinda wonder if we had had a LOT more people if we would've been better at not totally in fighting every three months over shit like that. Part of the issue was we had different personality types that all wanted to RvR that clashed really horribly, but if we wanted to get anywhere, we had to put up with each other.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 01:15:14 AM by Sjofn »

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #213 on: December 12, 2009, 01:15:56 AM

Wow who knew we were still so bitter!  awesome, for real

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #214 on: December 12, 2009, 01:16:28 AM

I did! I even said I was bitter!

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #215 on: December 12, 2009, 02:35:02 AM

You want to see bitter? Let me talk about the 'style review'  why so serious?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: December 12, 2009, 05:42:22 AM

This thread is more entertaining than warhammer!  Moar PVP! Popcorn

Hic sunt dracones.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #217 on: December 12, 2009, 11:33:23 AM

Five realms worked well in MPBT 3025, but there was only one server and it was a beta.  *tosses more fuel on the fire*

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #218 on: December 12, 2009, 01:43:57 PM

MPBT was going to devolve into the FedSuns vs. the Combine. It also broke combat down into much smaller skirmish chunks if I remember correctly.

In DaoC, if you were outnumbered 5:1, it was literally 50 guys swarming over your 10.

DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #219 on: December 12, 2009, 08:32:13 PM

MPBT was going to devolve into the FedSuns vs. the Combine. It also broke combat down into much smaller skirmish chunks if I remember correctly.

In DaoC, if you were outnumbered 5:1, it was literally 50 guys swarming over your 10.

More like 50 guys swarming over the 3 who bothered to show up.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #220 on: December 12, 2009, 10:43:47 PM

And then posting on the boards about how your realm doesn't really have a population problem, you just need better infrastructure.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #221 on: December 13, 2009, 02:04:21 AM

To be completely fair, your realm totally DID need better infrastructure too!  awesome, for real

/prances around in the cursed forest

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #222 on: December 13, 2009, 05:53:40 AM

/prances around in the cursed forest

Hic sunt dracones.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #223 on: December 13, 2009, 03:03:28 PM

Needs more Unicorns and Rainbows.

BitWarrior
Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: December 18, 2009, 09:46:07 AM

Just because there's really no point in starting another thread...

Just a little over a year after release, Amazon is selling Warhammer Online for $9.03. The original Warcraft alone is still being sold for $20, 5 years after release.

Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: December 18, 2009, 10:34:02 AM

Just a little over a year after release, Amazon is selling Warhammer Online for $9.03. The original Warcraft alone is still being sold for $20, 5 years after release.

If that's your metric, Amazon is selling Age of Conan for $6.85.  I don't see that you can conclude much beyond WoW > ALL and we know that to be truth in terms of sales.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #226 on: December 18, 2009, 12:15:22 PM

If that's your metric, Amazon is selling Age of Conan for $6.85.  I don't see that you can conclude much beyond WoW > ALL and we know that to be truth in terms of sales.

Earth and Beyond is still on sale for 29.98 which makes it twice as good as WAR and AoC combined apparently.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
BitWarrior
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: December 18, 2009, 12:21:57 PM

You'll happily note I make absolutely no conclusions nor "metrics", I merely was pointing out two facts.

Cheers.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #228 on: December 21, 2009, 01:27:17 PM

Wow Earth and Beyond.  I might be able to find the CB1 installation CD they mailed me at my parents house.
Redgiant
Terracotta Army

Reply #229 on: December 21, 2009, 02:29:19 PM

Earth and Beyond is still on sale for 29.98 which makes it twice as good as WAR and AoC combined apparently.

Frye's in Seattle has more than 300 copies of Aion on the shelf and only 10 for WotLK, so I guess they think Aion is 30x more popular than WoW.  Ohhhhh, I see.

A FUCKING COMPANY IS AT STEAK
BitWarrior
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: December 21, 2009, 04:59:32 PM

Frye's in Seattle has more than 300 copies of Aion on the shelf and only 10 for WotLK, so I guess they think Aion is 30x more popular than WoW.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Facepalm

Redgiant
Terracotta Army

Reply #231 on: December 22, 2009, 02:50:01 PM

300 copies still on the shelf being the operative takeaway.

I don't play Aion or WoW any more.

Edit: And haven't played WAR since last Jan.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #232 on: December 23, 2009, 09:13:42 AM

There was a copy of Hellgate and Tabula Rasa at my local Best buy, each $19.99
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #233 on: December 23, 2009, 11:10:07 AM

You should have given them as gifts to any snotty little kids that you know.  It's like a techie lump of coal. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #234 on: December 23, 2009, 12:27:24 PM

You should have given them as gifts to any snotty little kids that you know.  It's like a techie lump of coal. 
That's a damned good idea.
Redgiant
Terracotta Army

Reply #235 on: December 23, 2009, 05:00:55 PM

That's a damned good idea.

Don't forget the "Lifetime Game Card".

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #236 on: December 23, 2009, 10:03:12 PM

Hellgate is still playable offline.

Tab Ras and E&B still for sale makes me  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #237 on: January 02, 2010, 09:56:34 PM

Restless Entities Never Sleep -- The Back End of Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/4229/sponsored_feature_restless_.php?page=1

At any given time, approximately 2,000 servers are in operation, supporting the gameplay in WAR. Matt Shaw commented, "What we call a server to the user-that main server is actually a cluster of a number of machines."

"Our Server Farm in Virginia, for example," Mann said, "has about 60 Dell Blade chassis running Warhammer Online-each hosting up to 16 servers. All in all, we have about 700 servers in operation at this location."

Head scratch
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #238 on: January 02, 2010, 10:09:29 PM

Redundancy and data storage.  They shouldn't be storing offline accounts in the memory of a running server, right?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #239 on: January 03, 2010, 03:22:46 AM

Restless Entities Never Sleep -- The Back End of Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/4229/sponsored_feature_restless_.php?page=1

At any given time, approximately 2,000 servers are in operation, supporting the gameplay in WAR. Matt Shaw commented, "What we call a server to the user-that main server is actually a cluster of a number of machines."

"Our Server Farm in Virginia, for example," Mann said, "has about 60 Dell Blade chassis running Warhammer Online-each hosting up to 16 servers. All in all, we have about 700 servers in operation at this location."

Head scratch
Makes perfect sense. Each blade chassis can hold up to 16 blades where each blade is a "server" in the normal sense of the word. So the max capacity at the Virgina facility would be 960 blades or servers but they are only filled with around 700 blades at the time Matt was quoted.
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #240 on: January 03, 2010, 06:53:28 AM

Also note that one server does not equate to one realm. One realm might be a cluster of 20 servers/blades, all running different parts of the world (like High Elf tier 1) or global routines (like mail). Pretty much any time you get a loading screen in-game, they take the opportunity to shove you off to a different physical or virtual server in order to distribute load more evenly.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #241 on: January 04, 2010, 08:50:14 AM

Also note that one server does not equate to one realm. One realm might be a cluster of 20 servers/blades, all running different parts of the world (like High Elf tier 1) or global routines (like mail). Pretty much any time you get a loading screen in-game, they take the opportunity to shove you off to a different physical or virtual server in order to distribute load more evenly.

If that's the case then the need, what, 20 blades awesome, for real
Redgiant
Terracotta Army

Reply #242 on: January 04, 2010, 11:08:34 AM

Sounds like an ad spin, not a tech article on anything.

I don't blame Intel since they are rightfully pushing their hardware acumen, but this is mostly a WAR-oriented ad, just read the first few paragraphs. Where is the technical info that an Intel-focused article would have?

Seeing as they are listing server locations in the "article", how about they mention 'there are NO Oceanic servers (as of xx/xx/xx)', or the decline in the number of blades/servers/hamster wheels that have obviously occurred over 2009.

Maybe Intel could do an article on the how their blade systems allow for fast, efficient capacity downsizing using WAR as the posterchild. That would be more accurate. Ohhhhh, I see.

fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #243 on: January 04, 2010, 11:36:03 AM

I'm really surprised that virtualization isn't used, but the number of blades seems insane for the load. I'd really like to see a more tech delve into the management of a big cluster like this such as OS/tools. Such as what EVE dev's post quite frequently.

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #244 on: January 04, 2010, 12:53:56 PM

I'm really surprised that virtualization isn't used, but the number of blades seems insane for the load. I'd really like to see a more tech delve into the management of a big cluster like this such as OS/tools. Such as what EVE dev's post quite frequently.

I think in that article they mentioned that all their blades are fully utilized, so virtualization is kind of limited on usefulness in that case.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Warhammer Online Server Dead Pool  
Jump to: