Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:52:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: [3.1] Ulduar Preview - NOW WITH PATCH NOTES 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [3.1] Ulduar Preview - NOW WITH PATCH NOTES  (Read 103233 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #210 on: March 30, 2009, 04:42:49 PM

Naxx will be nerfed down so you can run to Saph and Kel 2-3 months after Uldar is out.  Just like they finally did with Kael and Vashj.. I'll agree, though, its getting damned tedious having to run a whole instance when all the majority of your group needs is on those last 2 guys.

Yes, and while that is fine that they will probably do that, that only really helps people who want to grind alts through the system or for achievements. I really wish they would just learn that on the front end.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #211 on: March 30, 2009, 04:46:06 PM

I've only logged on the PTR to beat up on dummies. Apparently that's all DKs do on PTR.

Paelos, I'm almost in the exact opposite boat as you.  I just can't find a group that runs Naxx at times that'd work for me, and I want to do more Naxx.  I'm at the point where I'm good at all of the fights, but simply haven't done them enough to even remotely approach burnout.  I can use gear improvements in spots, but since I'm a DK  and not retarded; my DPS exceeds what any fight requires.   So, I'm doing mop up duty during the last hour of my guild's runs.  awesome, for real

Toyed with the idea of starting my own run, but I'm going to be in no position to be relied upon consistently in about 9-10 weeks.

-Rasix
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #212 on: March 30, 2009, 04:50:40 PM

Yeah I'm sure there are a lot more people out there like you Rasix than there are people in my boat. I have always started my own groups, but I always have coleaders to help control the situation on the at least one run a week that I can't make. The problem we ran into was that we killed everything, we had in most cases at least 85% or more of the gear from the place, and people didn't really want to show up anymore, co-leads included.

I feel that if you run something for 4 months, you're done with it. Once everything is dead, the shine wears off really fast for me because I don't get any rush from winning loot. Others can farm things forever and be happy with stacking up epics or chasing that one last piece.

Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #213 on: March 30, 2009, 05:41:30 PM

I haven't really raided at all since I got my betrayer a few weeks back.

It was kind of the one big piece of loot I focused on, and WoW was over when I got it. Upgrading my cloak and libram just aren't enough of a reason for me to spend six hours in a raid with people I don't like.

Clearing all of that trash so other people can gear alts and whatnot... I just can't do it anymore.

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

You have accepted the invitation to start Quarto.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
where we pour milk on the stomach alien from total recall
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #214 on: March 30, 2009, 05:56:24 PM

The only 25-man I've been to is Vaults. I refuse to pug so I've stuck to leading one of my guild's 10-man runs for the last few months. Pretty much everyone who goes is now bedecked in 10-man gear at the very least and most of my guild pugs 25-man Naxx when bored so about half have a lot (some all) 25-man gear. Maly is a tough sell for anyone who doesn't like the fight in my guild since there's not a lot of "must have" loot in the place and people who hate the fight well...hate the fight. 1-2 Drake sarth interests a few people in my guild for the "what the hell, why not" factor but no one really wants any of the loot and we've been bored/done with OS for a month and a half now.

Most of the people in my guild right now would rather just run heroics and bullshit over vent than go into Naxx again.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #215 on: March 31, 2009, 07:40:59 AM

I'm starting to get pretty tired of Naxx, yeah. I've got most of what I want for my own toon out of there--a bracer and Calamity's Grasp is really all I'm looking for. I suppose the 7.5 helm as well, but I have Hood of the Exodus, so not exactly a burning need.

So far not a lot of enthusiasm for doing Malygos in our guild, even though we have the key.

I've usually done OS-25 and VoA-25 by Wednesday--I find that if you pug them too late in the week, you usually end up with the really bad players. There's a trinket out of OS-25 that I'd still like to get. Otherwise I'm just doing achievements, which is moderately amusing--more interesting than pure farming, at any rate.
Rasix

Reply #216 on: March 31, 2009, 08:06:20 AM

I've usually done OS-25 and VoA-25 by Wednesday--I find that if you pug them too late in the week, you usually end up with the really bad players. There's a trinket out of OS-25 that I'd still like to get. Otherwise I'm just doing achievements, which is moderately amusing--more interesting than pure farming, at any rate.

I still haven't run into a bad enough to wipe OS 25 yet, no matter when I've run it.  We've got a smaller pop server, so later in the week is when you see a lot of raid guild alts running it.  Last one I ran,  a DK got hit by walls 5 times and ended up winning the 7.5 gloves.  I don't think I've been hit since my first time doing it. Amazed we didn't have a rougher time considering there were about 12 people offering advice/direction in raid chat.  I won't join vent anymore for pug OS or VoA.

Getting my shaman to 80 has been my main task nowadays as I usually blow my reg Naxx ID taking hatefuls on Patch and just about nothing else.  awesome, for real  It's also gotten harder getting a group as a DK and figure I might as well have a resto shaman now that 3.1 will allow me to go elem (likely) or enhance for dailies and quest grinding.  I've actually gotten tells back saying "no DKs" and have seen "looking for DPS, no DKs" in trade as well as just plain crickets.   (My guild is also absurdly melee heavy atm)

Best part of 3.1 is that maybe I'll be able to get a different looking weapon  Ohhhhh, I see.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 08:09:22 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #217 on: March 31, 2009, 08:07:19 AM

At this point, I'd just like to get in on a raid that can clear Naxx 25 military wing.  I've never been beyond Raz.  Thanks Blizzard, for forcing us to rely on one specific class to beat an encounter.   Heartbreak

P.S.:  Please add mind control crystals to the Raz Naxx 25 fight.  Love, the entire rest of the player-base.

I'd still like to do heroics, and naxx 10, but the raiding portion of my guild has imploded, and what's left is pretty goddamn useless.  I'm pretty unenthused about trying to get in a new guild, although I've made some halfhearted efforts in that direction.  The "A" team I was in went from clearing naxx 10 in 2.5 hours to clearing 4 wings in 5 hours.  Pretty sad, imo.

I'm not even sure Ulduar is going to do much for me, as it'll probably take more player skill and healing than my guild can even muster to get into the place.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #218 on: March 31, 2009, 08:21:52 AM

Raz-25 is easily the dumbest fight in the whole place. It annoys the fuck out of me that they took the time to change the whole place and left that shit in there. We have the priests, so it doesn't block us out, but it's still irritating to have that class-specific a fight.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #219 on: March 31, 2009, 09:01:06 AM

Raz-25 is easily the dumbest fight in the whole place. It annoys the fuck out of me that they took the time to change the whole place and left that shit in there. We have the priests, so it doesn't block us out, but it's still irritating to have that class-specific a fight.

Boo f'ing hoo? They took out almost all class depency from the raiding game. They leave it in on a couple fights and suddenly everyone is crying they can't do a raids with nothing but druids and dk's. I understand and appreciate them dumbing things down but I dont think it's necessary to get worked up over such a minor detail. Hell the priests don't even need to have anything more than +hit gear at most, just have someone's alt do it if you absolutely can't find two priests which if you're in a guild big enough to do 25mans should not be hard.

Also this was a really fun fight in the 40man and as a priest im glad they kept it because its a fun change of roles.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #220 on: March 31, 2009, 09:34:08 AM

Getting my shaman to 80 has been my main task nowadays as I usually blow my reg Naxx ID taking hatefuls on Patch and just about nothing else.  awesome, for real  It's also gotten harder getting a group as a DK and figure I might as well have a resto shaman now that 3.1 will allow me to go elem (likely) or enhance for dailies and quest grinding.  I've actually gotten tells back saying "no DKs" and have seen "looking for DPS, no DKs" in trade as well as just plain crickets.   (My guild is also absurdly melee heavy atm)

Yeah I've run into that problem, too.  When I do a /who it's another DK that's been doing the recuiring 9/10 times.  Asshats. I just want badges, keep your damn heroic lewtz.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #221 on: March 31, 2009, 10:48:22 AM

I'd be a lot more appreciative of Razuvious is priests weren't so fucking horrible at the mechanics of tanking.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #222 on: March 31, 2009, 11:31:46 AM

Also this was a really fun fight in the 40man and as a priest im glad they kept it because its a fun change of roles.

What's fun for some is a giant waste of time and PITA for a lot of others in this regard. Priests didn't roll them to tank. As a tank, I would cringe at the idea of having to main heal a fight while mindcontrolling a priest. It's not a terrible fight, but it is the most frustrating for most groups due to that fact. I certainly don't enjoy relying on people who in a lot of cases have never tanking something before that.

Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #223 on: March 31, 2009, 01:31:29 PM

Priests didn't roll them to tank.

You're so wrong. I also rolled my warlock to tank back in the twin emps day  Get off my lawn!

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: March 31, 2009, 01:52:59 PM

What's fun for some is a giant waste of time and PITA for a lot of others in this regard. Priests didn't roll them to tank. As a tank, I would cringe at the idea of having to main heal a fight while mindcontrolling a priest. It's not a terrible fight, but it is the most frustrating for most groups due to that fact. I certainly don't enjoy relying on people who in a lot of cases have never tanking something before that.

Tanks = control freaks.

Well all I can say is that every priest I know welcomes and enjoys doing this and most are good at it. If anything I'd say this fight was way too simple since it completely takes tanking gear out of the equation and as long as you have two non-retarded priests and a couple healers not sleeping you'll do fine.

As to peopleswitching roles spefically, well there's simply nowhere else to go is there? There's only so many fights where you can either, stand in shit or get out of the way of shit. At some point they need to have people doing different things to make it a challenge. It's no surprise that the whole vehicle system was created because aside from making people take new roles on, the only other thing to do is increase mob stats to ridiculous degrees. Now, I don't like vehicles as a whole, sometimes they can be fun but sometimes just annoying.

What I can respect though is they are making the game more difficult by trying to expand the players skillsets which and lets be honest, a lot of people are unable to do.  This is most frustrating for a lot of guilds but I look at the people complaining and get a chuckle.  All these supposedly uber raiders saying "but i dont wanna heal!" or something similar when they are asked to change their role for the odd fight or two.  I understand people wanting specific playstyles, afterall that's WHY you rolled that class but to be so adverse to changing that role on rare occasion is just silly.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: March 31, 2009, 02:08:25 PM

The problem with Raz's encounter, IMO, is that it makes Naxx 25 very difficult to PUG. It's hard enough to find 25 warm bodies in the appropriate ratio of Tank : Healer : Dps; requiring at least 2 priests (ideally 2 shadow priests) pften forces a group to either a) skip Military or b) bring priests in greens just because you NEED the class. In my last Naxx run we literally spent 15 minutes convincing one of our holy priests to even ATTEMPT it. I don't mind forcing players to change roles, but forcing a specific class (and spec) is rather annoying.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Vash
Terracotta Army

Reply #226 on: March 31, 2009, 02:20:51 PM

The problem with Raz's encounter, IMO, is that it makes Naxx 25 very difficult to PUG. It's hard enough to find 25 warm bodies in the appropriate ratio of Tank : Healer : Dps; requiring at least 2 priests (ideally 2 shadow priests) pften forces a group to either a) skip Military or b) bring priests in greens just because you NEED the class. In my last Naxx run we literally spent 15 minutes convincing one of our holy priests to even ATTEMPT it. I don't mind forcing players to change roles, but forcing a specific class (and spec) is rather annoying.

Exactly, it's not the uber raiders that are complaining about this for the most part, it's the more casual/family & friends/PUG groups that it really pisses off.  An uber raiding guild will have several priests with high attendance or if not will easily be able to recruit some.  For everyone else it's hard enough just getting 10 or 25 people together on a regular basis that don't all hate each other and cause drama.  Making Y amount of X class required for a fight and requiring that the people playing X class be some of the more competent and with it people who can "switch roles" just makes it an even bigger pain.  I don't see why they couldn't have added MC orbs and then had an achievement or hard mode for using Priests to MC instead.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: April 01, 2009, 08:04:45 AM

I don't mind making people try another class role in a fight. I just would rather it was not *only* priests that could do it, e.g., that it was a part of the mechanic of the fight rather than the mechanic of a class. If what you appreciate about it is that people who don't have to tank normally have to tank for this, then the crystals are the solution.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #228 on: April 01, 2009, 04:59:18 PM

The main problem with the understudies is that they are really utterly crap tanks, mainly due to their slow speed relative to Raz. Also MC is far from rock-solid, and if you get unlucky with jagged knife attacks you loose casting time and the whole tanking rotation can get screwed up. There's a reason that anyone going for Undying/Immortal will do Raz first, because of all the fights in Naxx up to KT, it's the one with the least control and the highest chance of random Gibs.

There's also the other thing that most priests didn't roll with tanking in mind. I played a tank for 2+ years and enjoyed the hell out of it, but MCing the understudy is nothing like playing as a real tank. Hell, it took me to my fourth go to realise that right-clicking on Raz doesn't cause the understudies to autoattack, you have to manually activate it. Once you get the rhythm he's cake. However expecting smooth kills from priests who have never done it before is ridiculous.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #229 on: April 01, 2009, 08:30:45 PM

The #1 biggest problem with them is they have the old melee range taunt distance.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: April 03, 2009, 12:29:20 PM

Equipment manager is being delayed until sometime after 3.1.

Over and out.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #231 on: April 14, 2009, 01:19:25 AM

Patch is confirmed for tomorrow.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #232 on: April 14, 2009, 05:03:14 AM

« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 03:52:01 PM by Trippy »

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #233 on: April 14, 2009, 06:30:51 AM

'Official' patch notes from MMO-champ

* Piercing Shots redesigned: Your critical Aimed, Steady and Chimera Shots cause the target to bleed for 10/20/30% of the damage dealt over 8 seconds. The damage done by this talent no longer receives modifications from effects that increase or decrease damage done by a percentage.

Oops. Dispite the bug report I filed on test 3 weeks ago this talent is still broken. Piercing shots tics for 1hp dmg with 1-3pts invested in it off a 2k crit.
Waste of points.

ClydeJr
Terracotta Army

Reply #234 on: April 14, 2009, 07:34:11 AM

For those of you that use WoWMatrix to update addons, it has been blocked by both Curse and WoWInterface today. Also I heard that WUU is partially usable (blocked by Curse).
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #235 on: April 14, 2009, 01:11:06 PM

Typical patch day. It'll be 5PM EDT before we get an update about when the servers might be up. My guess is sometime between 6PM and Friday afternoon.

Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #236 on: April 14, 2009, 01:48:49 PM

I have never understood why it takes them so long to apply these patches.  Is it a database issue or something to do with altering the backups as well?

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Evil Elvis
Terracotta Army

Reply #237 on: April 14, 2009, 01:51:15 PM

I'm more interested in why they keep sticking with the idea of one big patch every 1/2 year, instead of several smaller patches on a more frequent basis.  Their current publishing cycle is failboat.
Rasix

Reply #238 on: April 14, 2009, 02:08:30 PM

I'm more interested in why they keep sticking with the idea of one big patch every 1/2 year, instead of several smaller patches on a more frequent basis.  Their current publishing cycle is failboat.

Lean/Agile development is HARD.

Yah, it's not like this patch couldn't have been split into separate patches for the Argent Tournament, mana/balance changes, Ulduar, dual speccing, and minor profession changes.  Hell, it would be cool if they actually did small patches for minor things like UI improvements (hello Gear Manager). 

Plus then they'd seem a little less glacial on the content development side.  Not that this is hurting their bottom line in any way that they'd notice.  As long as the money train keeps running, I doubt they'll undergo any shift in development practices.

-Rasix
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #239 on: April 14, 2009, 02:36:19 PM

They actually want to go faster, its just they are blizzard, so it is unpossible.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #240 on: April 14, 2009, 02:50:54 PM

Just look at it as an excuse to play RoM or Aion instead.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #241 on: April 14, 2009, 03:00:16 PM

Thank you for your patience. We are actively testing and verifying the realms to ensure the best possible play experience when they are back online. We currently do not have a definite estimate on when they will be playable, but we will provide another update at approximately 4:00PM PDT.

-------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your patience. We are actively testing and verifying the realms to ensure the best possible play experience when they are back online. We currently do not have a definite estimate on when they will be playable, but we will provide another update at approximately 3:00PM PDT.

-------------------------------------------------------

We are continuing to perform maintenance on all realms but currently do not have a definite estimate on when the realms will be playable. We will provide another update at approximately 2:00PM PDT with further information on when we expect the maintenance to be complete. Thank you for your patience.

My guess now, they are raiding on empty realms.  So as soon as they are able to obtain the realm first achievement on every realm, they will allow people to log in to the servers.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #242 on: April 14, 2009, 04:18:49 PM

Everyone who truly didn't see this coming, raise your hand.

Nobody? No one? Good, you're jaded enough.

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #243 on: April 14, 2009, 04:28:51 PM

You're missing the one at 4PM PDT that says by 5PM PDT.
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #244 on: April 14, 2009, 04:31:48 PM

You're missing the one at 4PM PDT that says by 5PM PDT.

Ha, and you are missing the one at 5PM that says 8PM.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: [3.1] Ulduar Preview - NOW WITH PATCH NOTES  
Jump to: