Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:38:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Warhammer ends quarter with 300,000 paying subscibers 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Warhammer ends quarter with 300,000 paying subscibers  (Read 333825 times)
Sordid
Terracotta Army

Reply #665 on: July 28, 2009, 09:30:06 PM

I don't understand why they never did something like, say, enable collision detection only in places where it might be applicable, such as doorways and terrain bottlenecks. They can have it disable itself when no enemies are within a certain range, so clearly they can manipulate it in other ways even if their coders are 3-star workers and 5-star office party monkeys. Nobody cares about collision on a flat, featureless battlefield, yet this is exactly where it causes the most trouble. Clearly this is rendering the supposedly most prominent aspect of the entire game almost unplayable. While I no longer play WAR and would be very hesitant to ever do so again, it still baffles me how many things they did wrong and how insufficient their attempts to remedy the problems have been. I always follow the direction and development of games that I stop playing so that I can always know which games are worth returning to, but in this case, I do it just because Mythic's every action is so unbelievable as to be entertaining. It has always been surreal to me how many things they managed to do so utterly wrong with this game. If I didn't know better, I would suspect that they never meant to make it any good in the first place.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 09:32:36 PM by Sordid »
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #666 on: July 28, 2009, 10:21:18 PM

You know how hard I'm going to laugh when I just delete your entire post?  I'll let it simmer for a bit.

-Rasix
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #667 on: July 28, 2009, 10:23:44 PM

Sordid
Terracotta Army

Reply #668 on: July 28, 2009, 10:36:08 PM

Well, go ahead. I'm not exactly losing any major investment of time or effort. Is my post count affecting your decision? There are posts on the previous page about the exact same thing. On every single page, in fact. I guess it's not polite to pick on the folks with 1000+ posts.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #669 on: July 28, 2009, 10:42:32 PM

Most posts address other posts.  It's called a thread.   Your post count is not affecting your treatment, your post is.

-Rasix
Sordid
Terracotta Army

Reply #670 on: July 28, 2009, 10:54:05 PM

You have a nice day, then. Multiple posts on the previous page concern collision detection. If neglecting to quote them is grounds for post deletion, go nuts. It's your forum after all, apparently.
schild
Administrator

Reply #671 on: July 28, 2009, 11:28:04 PM

Nah, it's *my* forum. But coming here and shitting on WAR is as passe as posting a lolcat.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #672 on: July 28, 2009, 11:34:48 PM

FAKE EDIT - my point has been consumed by the ensuing drama.

squirrel
Contributor

Reply #673 on: July 29, 2009, 12:01:29 AM

Popcorn

Popcorn for the popcorn god!

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #674 on: July 29, 2009, 12:54:23 AM

Well I hope you're all happy.  That post was going to change the world.  Or maybe just this thread, who knows.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Falwell
Terracotta Army

Ghetto Gear Solid: Raiden

Reply #675 on: July 29, 2009, 02:07:49 AM

Oh so you go from nuking your post here to starting the Twilight MMO thread?

We're pretty much going to have to ask you to go play in traffic Unsub.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #676 on: July 29, 2009, 02:19:19 AM

I'd made a point to Sordid's one about collision detection - that is really the least of WAR's issues - but by the time I hit the button all the excitement had been and gone.

If I didn't start the Twilight MMO thread, someone else would have. Look at the site and gameplay ideas. It's magic. Sparkly vampire magic.

I give it a better chance than WAR of reaching 500k players.  why so serious?

Falwell
Terracotta Army

Reply #677 on: July 29, 2009, 02:26:08 AM

If I didn't start the Twilight MMO thread, someone else would have. Look at the site and gameplay ideas. It's magic. Sparkly vampire magic.

Oh so you're trying to make this into an "I took one for the team" situation? No one believes your lies, deceit and treachery here sir. This is the Warhammer forum and all we know is hatred, shitty one liners, and how to call Paul Barnett everything but a white man. Deservedly so of course.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #678 on: July 29, 2009, 05:57:12 AM

Twilight MMO marketed correctly might be ridiculously successful.......................and also full of pedophiles. ACK!

Edit:  I really thought this was a fucking joke  swamp poop swamp poop
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 05:59:21 AM by ghost »
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #679 on: July 29, 2009, 03:26:05 PM

Today is the 29th. If I read correctly, the phone conference was today. I await your results Arthur.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #680 on: July 29, 2009, 04:25:38 PM

http://investor.ea.com/

Jul 29, 2009 at 2:00 PM PT
Electronic Arts 2009 Annual Meeting of Stockholders (You have to login and listen to boring stuff, too much effort)

Aug 4, 2009 at 2:00 PM PT
Electronic Arts Q1 2010 Earnings Conference Call
Redgiant
Terracotta Army

Reply #681 on: July 30, 2009, 05:27:25 PM

FAIRFAX, Va., Jul 30, 2009 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Mythic Entertainment(TM), an Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:ERTS) studio, today announced that the critically acclaimed MMORPG, Warhammer(R) Online: Age of Reckoning(R) (WAR),is being developed for the Mac(R) ...

Also had to giggle at this.

Maybe Mythic can make a Minax & Mondain PQ next.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 05:31:14 PM by Redgiant »

A FUCKING COMPANY IS AT STEAK
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #682 on: July 30, 2009, 08:23:18 PM

I'm sure the rollout in Botswana will keep the numbers high enough this quarter.  But after the undiscovered rainforest tribes in Brazil the quarter after that they may have a problem. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #683 on: July 30, 2009, 09:04:11 PM

In gaming terms, Mac gamers ARE the barely discovered rainforest tribes of Brazil. It's a comparatively cheap reach for a limited set of new players, but dear god...

I really want to know the sub figures for WAR. I'm guessing 300k again. Or they don't mention it.

Falwell
Terracotta Army

Reply #684 on: July 30, 2009, 10:05:57 PM

I'm going to take an unpopular guess here and say their numbers will be up very slightly. 325k or so. Reason being is that this recruit a friend deal they've been running appears to have been fairly successful. On Iron Rock, you see people running around with the dogs and the griffon mounts all the time (RAF rewards for getting x amount of people to subscribe.) Not to mention that the server is flat out hopping. We had 3 Order warbands defending at Southern Garrison against a Destro force of (by two guys headcounts) roughly 140. It was fucking glorious.

Certainly this number will drop when Aion hits. But all I can do, for now, is judge by what I see and what I see on my server is a launch like population without the massive imbalance. RvR on all tiers running roughly 18 - 20 hours a day, and I'm enjoying myself.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 10:33:42 PM by Falwell »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #685 on: July 30, 2009, 10:20:01 PM

NA + Europe (not including Russia) was at 180K if the GAO numbers are to be believed. You can count the US and Europe servers and compare them to the Russian ones to get an approximate count including Russia.
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #686 on: July 31, 2009, 09:33:35 AM

In gaming terms, Mac gamers ARE the barely discovered rainforest tribes of Brazil. It's a comparatively cheap reach for a limited set of new players, but dear god...

I really want to know the sub figures for WAR. I'm guessing 300k again. Or they don't mention it.

Nah. Mac owners have long ago accepted that if you want to game on your mac you use bootcamp, at least when compared to Cider versions of the same game.

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Chockonuts
Terracotta Army

Reply #687 on: August 01, 2009, 11:40:48 PM

I'm going to take an unpopular guess here and say their numbers will be up very slightly. 325k or so. Reason being is that this recruit a friend deal they've been running appears to have been fairly successful. On Iron Rock, you see people running around with the dogs and the griffon mounts all the time (RAF rewards for getting x amount of people to subscribe.) Not to mention that the server is flat out hopping. We had 3 Order warbands defending at Southern Garrison against a Destro force of (by two guys headcounts) roughly 140. It was fucking glorious.

Certainly this number will drop when Aion hits. But all I can do, for now, is judge by what I see and what I see on my server is a launch like population without the massive imbalance. RvR on all tiers running roughly 18 - 20 hours a day, and I'm enjoying myself.

Killing a couple of servers off and a quarter of Dark Crag now actively sneaking across the border under cover of night  to Iron Rock didn't hurt the population there either.  ACK!

I'll stick with C.W. and say just under 200K.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #688 on: August 04, 2009, 03:06:35 PM

Don't see Warhammer mentioned at all.

EA Reports First Quarter Fiscal Year 2010 Results

Earnings Release

Warhammer mentioned once in passing during the earnings call, nothing about subscriptions.
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #689 on: August 04, 2009, 03:18:19 PM

Guess no news is bad news in this case.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #690 on: August 04, 2009, 05:15:44 PM

Guess no news is bad news in this case.

Or it could be WARHAMMER has turned into the mentally ill uncle no one talks to at the holiday party. He's still part of the family, but we don't speak to him or let the kids near him.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #691 on: August 04, 2009, 08:01:06 PM

I'm guessing sub figures were less than 300k.

columba
Terracotta Army

Reply #692 on: August 04, 2009, 11:35:23 PM

I read throught the trasncript of the call.  They mentioned War, referencing their total EA company wide growth in subscriptions year over year.  They had $27 Million in subs sales from all games year ago quarter, $36 million from all subs this year'squarter, and they attributed the $9 million year to year growth to Warhammer subs.  Given $15/month or $45/quarter per sub, then I get 200 thousand subs on average.  HOwever, they ended last quarter with 300k subs.  If you straight line through a mid point of 200 thousand subs, then I concluded that end of quarter subs could be as low as 100k, no higher than 200k.  All based on rough assumptions.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #693 on: August 05, 2009, 06:07:54 AM

Well I know that people prepping for Aion are already starting to drop off.  My guild which typically has had 20-30 people online at prime time is fielding if we are lucky 10-15 last 2 weeks.  I know of at least 4 people who have not renewed and their subs end this month.  Other guilds in my alliance have similar issues and their numbers are lower as well.  My server Gorfang already has a Aion Legion made with people from Gorfang ready to move over and more join daily.  Aion will absolutely punt WHO into the < 100K numbers(I honeslty dont believe its below this yet). 
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #694 on: August 05, 2009, 08:39:22 AM

The big fish will eat the little fish, it was all foretold in the great book that Mark Jacobs wrote right before he was fired  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #695 on: August 05, 2009, 01:39:44 PM

I'm ending my sub on Sept 15th. I wanted to wait until AION was closer to release before removing all the characters from my guild except for myself. I put in a lot of work to get the guild to Rank 40 so I wanted my folks to enjoy it, but when its time to go I don't want the game randomly assigning guild leader to someone who may never return to the game.

Anyway I will be the last of the 165 accounts from my guild to exit warhammer.

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #696 on: August 05, 2009, 02:19:02 PM

How can that be true I was just reading on Warhammer Alliance that WAR is doing fine.  While there are a few complainers trying to tear down the game to fulfill their base desires, most people are happy with game.  Hades, why did you trick your members into leaving the game?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 02:24:02 PM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #697 on: August 05, 2009, 07:43:04 PM

How can that be true I was just reading on Warhammer Alliance that WAR is doing fine.  While there are a few complainers trying to tear down the game to fulfill their base desires, most people are happy with game.  Hades, why did you trick your members into leaving the game?

That's kinda like Bagdad Bob saying the Americans were on the run and in full retreat. We'll see what happens to War with the end of Dec results announcements, because by then most of the people who will have left for AION or other games will be off their books.

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
nurtsi
Terracotta Army

Reply #698 on: August 06, 2009, 04:11:34 AM

Well, the game is doing at least "ok" on the two servers I have toons (EU).

There is the constant ORVR of T1 in the Empire (the other two T1 pairings have been dead since launch, but hey). Most of these can be trial accounts of course. T2 and T3 have usually 2-3 warbands on each side every night running around capping keeps. On these tiers, all the pairings get action.

I just got to do T4 scenarios and they keep popping all the time (I can't participate in T4 ORVR yet because I'm only R29). Based on scenarios, I'd say T4 has the most people playing (not suprising I guess, everyone has max lvl toons already except us who only came back recently).

The things that bug me now most is the class balance and the piece of shit engine. For example, WLs are "working as intended" according to the forums, but they can basically one-shot any squishy every 30 seconds. The engine is hilariously bad in handling collisions with the environment (or the world builders made some fucked up geometry). I get stuck multiple times a day on some fucking rocks, fences, or keeps. Then it tells you, type /stuck which doesn't work in combat and guess what, since you are in doing a siege you can be in combat for more than an hour straight. Sometimes when you get stuck you just die of falling damage, which is always fun as well. At least you get to respawn without re-logging.

Oh yeah, leveling is starting to feel a bit grindy at the end of T3. I haven't touched PVE with a stick, so we'll see if I make it to 40. Also, I'm having bad feelings about gear dependency at T4. I can't kill shit as a R29 (bolstered to 38) in T4. I guess it is the gear difference. Haven't had any problems before this in earlier tiers.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #699 on: August 06, 2009, 06:12:08 AM

Yeah some of the servers are busy because of the transfers that have occurred the last month.  My server is busier because of it but I still see people leaving, playing less and generally are bored of the game.  Aion is 6 weeks away and I know people are already starting to not renew subs to WHO and letting them run out.  Ironically mine expires the day after after Aion comes out :)
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 24 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Warhammer ends quarter with 300,000 paying subscibers  
Jump to: