Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:09:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Warhammer ends quarter with 300,000 paying subscibers 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Warhammer ends quarter with 300,000 paying subscibers  (Read 335035 times)
Chockonuts
Terracotta Army

Reply #350 on: June 20, 2009, 11:24:53 AM

Seriously though, has anyone thought of poaching some of Blizzard's talent? 

Who in their right minds in this terrible economy is looking to hire 3- star talent?  ACK!

You want 5- star talent that you can snatch up and pay 3- star talent salaries.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #351 on: June 20, 2009, 12:00:25 PM

Blizzard's talent goes out on its own and to other developers often enough. Their success has been a mixed bag.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #352 on: June 20, 2009, 04:43:33 PM

Blizzards "talent" leaving to other studios means that when they release a game they have to do it without the Blizzard label of guaranteed success.

I tried Warhammer for a bit. I enjoyed the PVP which was fast pased and enjoyable. but it got stale very quickly for me. Never got to the higher tiers.

The "doorhammer" vid above is fricking hilarious.

Hic sunt dracones.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #353 on: June 20, 2009, 04:57:33 PM

It isn't just 'talent' though, Blizzard has a whole system from the ground up, one that obviously works and everyone buys into.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #354 on: June 21, 2009, 07:22:30 PM

It isn't just 'talent' though, Blizzard has a whole system from the ground up, one that obviously works and everyone buys into.

Yes - Blizzard has a lot of resources (even more now) and has a culture of not shipping titles until they are happy with them. When someone leaves Blizzard, they leave that culture and resource set.

Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #355 on: June 22, 2009, 07:17:06 AM

Funny thing is that for most of the MMOs I've played I've known who the lead desgner/producer was but I don't really know who filled those roles for WoW.  It's just Blizzard's MMO, which leads me to agree that acquiring talent from Blizzard without also recreating Blizzard's culture isn't the key to the money hat locker.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #356 on: June 22, 2009, 07:33:09 AM

That's correct. Until the release of WoW, Blizzard never bothered to hype its lead designers and other talent. With WoW though they decided to give it a face and Rob Pardo became it, even though he wasn't the original lead designer and only joined late in the project. Allen Adham, who nobody has ever heard of (he was the Producer/Executive Producer on most of Blizzard's titles), is the original lead designer on WoW.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #357 on: June 22, 2009, 07:35:07 AM

Would you jump off a luxury liner to board the Titanic?

EA has money, yes, but Blactivision isn't exactly small potatos. Isn't Blacitivision bigger than EA these days? Probably not the best thing to have on your resume, either.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #358 on: June 24, 2009, 09:08:20 AM

[indent]Today we have important news to share with the community. EA is restructuring its RPG and MMO games development into a new group that includes both Mythic and BioWare. This newly formed team will be led by Ray Muzyka, co-founder and General Manager of BioWare. With this change, Ray becomes Group General Manager of the new  RPG/MMO studio group. BioWare’s other co-founder, Greg Zeschuk will become Group Creative Officer for the new RPG/MMO studio group. Rob Denton will step up as General Manager of Mythic and report to Ray. BioWare’s studios remain unchanged and continue to report to Ray.

Mark Jacobs, current General Manager of Mythic will leave EA on June 23, 2009. We thank Mark for his contributions at Mythic and wish him the very best going forward. Mark played a major part in the success of Mythic with his contribution as General Manager and Lead Designer of WAR.

Mythic retains a strong team led by Rob who co-founded Mythic in 1995. Rob played a critical role in the development of Dark Age of Camelot. In his previous role as COO, he was responsible for all day-to-day management of the studio including all development, operations and support.

Please join us in celebrating the union of these two award-winning studios.[/indent]
Source
[/quote]

This should have happened a long time ago, and I am not sure anything can save Warhammer now. Land of the Dead was poorly done and Patch 1.3 didn't fix major issues players have been griping about for months. Expect a massive exodus when AION releases.

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #359 on: June 24, 2009, 09:23:43 AM

Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #360 on: June 24, 2009, 09:37:14 AM

Jackass probably getting a douchebag bonus for leaving too.  Guy was useless, clueless and anooying as hell...good riddance
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #361 on: June 24, 2009, 09:38:08 AM

shocking... but only like an old person who has been dying for years finally exhaling his last.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #362 on: June 24, 2009, 09:43:39 AM

Chalk this up to another MMO person/company I wont play a game of

Brad McQuaid
SOE
Mark Jacobs
Funcom

I know im forgetting 1 or 2 more
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #363 on: June 24, 2009, 09:44:46 AM

Would you jump off a luxury liner to board the Titanic?
Titanic was an unsinkable luxury liner. Before it's ill-fated maiden voyage, would you have jumped off a different, "sinkable" luxury liner to board the Titanic? Not unlikely.

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #364 on: June 24, 2009, 10:22:11 AM

Well, now he can get around to that "How to run a multi-million dollar investment into the ground by being absolutely out of touch with your customers For Dummies" book that's always needed to be written.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #365 on: June 24, 2009, 10:23:20 AM

Needs to take Barnett with him
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #366 on: June 24, 2009, 10:34:32 AM

I, for one, am sad.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #367 on: June 24, 2009, 11:10:33 AM

Well, now he can get around to that "How to run a multi-million dollar investment into the ground by being absolutely out of touch with your customers For Dummies" book that's always needed to be written.

The list of authors for this book would be long indeed. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
schild
Administrator

Reply #368 on: June 24, 2009, 11:23:08 AM

The list of authors for this book would be long indeed.  
It'd be like Night of a Hundred Stars. An ensemble cast of A-List Celebrities that only do B-List Movies Because they S-uck at their jobs. awesome, for real
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #369 on: June 24, 2009, 11:23:39 AM

Not as long as the list of dickheads eager to pick up a copy.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
schild
Administrator

Reply #370 on: June 24, 2009, 11:26:11 AM

Seriously, check out this list: http://www.lasplash.com/publish/Celebrity_Talk_102/Night_of_a_Hundred_Stars_-_Where_Beautiful_People_Come_to_Watch_Beautiful_People.php

The most famous person there is Lou Diamond Phillips. loooooooooooooooool
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #371 on: June 24, 2009, 03:01:21 PM

Soooooo, I wonder what the subs look like  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #372 on: June 24, 2009, 03:40:27 PM

Seriously, check out this list: http://www.lasplash.com/publish/Celebrity_Talk_102/Night_of_a_Hundred_Stars_-_Where_Beautiful_People_Come_to_Watch_Beautiful_People.php

Yeah, but Amber Smith's hair is rockin' so cut her some slack.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #373 on: June 27, 2009, 04:21:58 AM

Chalk this up to another MMO person/company I wont play a game of

Brad McQuaid
SOE
Mark Jacobs
Funcom

I know im forgetting 1 or 2 more

Paul Barnett

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #374 on: June 29, 2009, 08:22:56 PM

As many predicted, the Land of the Dead patch killed RVR.  With one faction inside Land of the Dead, the other side has to RVE to gain access. Then they get 15 mins or so of slaughtering small clusters of people engaged with mobs, and once everything is clear the winning side gets to.................................................................PVE!!!!  Man what exciting RVR!!

Expect a mass exodus of subscriptions over the summer. Patch 1.3 was the straw that broke the camels back for many guilds tired of a broken T4 RVR system, and no new producer's letter is going to work on them now.  AION is getting a lot of preorders these days, and many folks in the Warhammer community are talking about migrating there.  Its not perfect I know, but Mythic no longer deserves dollars just to keep giving us more PVE/RVE or one broken system layered on top of 5 other broken systems.

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #375 on: June 29, 2009, 08:59:00 PM

Improvements to AoC and the arrival of Aion will cripple WAR.  I don't think WAR has any hope for a turnaround. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #376 on: June 29, 2009, 10:50:13 PM

As many predicted, the Land of the Dead patch killed RVR.  With one faction inside Land of the Dead, the other side has to RVE to gain access. Then they get 15 mins or so of slaughtering small clusters of people engaged with mobs, and once everything is clear the winning side gets to.................................................................PVE!!!!  Man what exciting RVR!!

On topic kinda: this is why I think DCUO's approach to PvP will fall on its face. Having to stop PvEing to PvP (or vice versa) has a lot of issues related to it that I don't think the majority of players will like.

Chockonuts
Terracotta Army

Reply #377 on: June 30, 2009, 12:00:13 PM

It not the LOTD that will kill WAR. It's going to be the same thing that always hurt it; lack of vision and shortsidedness from Mythic.

LOTD is a fun area, but this zone does not work with just two factions. It's like paddling a rowboat with only one oar or riding a tricycle with only two wheels. With three factions you would have had one inside LOTD farming gear and two factions outside duking it out for control. This would have kept a decent power balance and people engaged in the RvR.

It's not like Mythic didn't have a choice, too.  I'm sure the thought of three factions had to at least cross their minds ONCE, as everything they do is pretty much copy from something else they'd made looking at their track record of games. But they made a conscious decision NOT to implement three factions, either- too difficult/confusing, expensive to develop, or IP busting.. whatever. They certainly had plenty of material already written (lore) to come up with a proposal to GW for three factions instead of two, so where was the innovation?

When copying the most successful MMO in history, you are not supposed to take what works well for them and implement it into your game unless you can do it better (two factions). You're supposed to take what they CAN'T do well and improve that. Mythic chose to copy the wrong ideas this time.

As the Emperor put it "You have paid the price for your lack of vision! Now, young Skywalker... you will die. ... "  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Von Douchemore
Terracotta Army

Reply #378 on: June 30, 2009, 01:43:01 PM

Any data on the current number of subs?

The numbers you get from Warheap are scary.

I hope the supposed RvR revamp coming in September doesn't fail, DAoC is too old a game for 2009.
Redgiant
Terracotta Army

Reply #379 on: June 30, 2009, 06:01:26 PM

I take umbrage at the beautiful part.

A FUCKING COMPANY IS AT STEAK
Redgiant
Terracotta Army

Reply #380 on: June 30, 2009, 06:25:15 PM

Any data on the current number of subs?

The numbers you get from Warheap are scary.

I hope the supposed RvR revamp coming in September doesn't fail, DAoC is too old a game for 2009.

Those active players on Ironclaw must be lonely ... both of them.

"Mornin' Sam."

"Mornin' Ralph."

AU servers are way dead.

A FUCKING COMPANY IS AT STEAK
waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #381 on: July 01, 2009, 11:29:08 AM

I thought warheap was no longer being updated.

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #382 on: July 01, 2009, 12:04:57 PM

Never mind I see they did a recent update.

Man if Dark Crag is their best server now they are in deep trouble. DC is going to take a big hit when AION releases, Volkmar is horribly imbalanced towards Order despite the activity rating, and Skullthrone by all reports is already a ghost town.

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #383 on: July 01, 2009, 02:57:32 PM

Never mind I see they did a recent update.

Man if Dark Crag is their best server now they are in deep trouble. DC is going to take a big hit when AION releases, Volkmar is horribly imbalanced towards Order despite the activity rating, and Skullthrone by all reports is already a ghost town.

I found an old WoW PvP server terribly underpopulated and just checking with

WoW (80's only) alliance: 620 horde: 1236  (Anub'arak)
WAR  (40's only) order: 689 destruction: 751  (Dark Crag)

Thats pretty f'n damming
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #384 on: July 01, 2009, 03:17:43 PM

Noticed the vn boards seem very quiet, so counting official forums accounts again.

7th May first to 13th May last
14th May first to 20th May last
21st May first to 27th May last
28th May first to 3rd June last

Splitting the last twelve weeks into three groups of four weeks each.

5212 new accounts (1803, 1337, 1170, 902)
3368 new accounts (849, 1133, 731, 655)
2597 new accounts (663, 765, 570, 599)

LOD gave them a minor boost on new forum accounts, a few hours of the 1st of July still to go and they have already had 2820 new accounts created in the last 4 weeks.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 24 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Warhammer ends quarter with 300,000 paying subscibers  
Jump to: