Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:53:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Warhammer ends quarter with 300,000 paying subscibers 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Warhammer ends quarter with 300,000 paying subscibers  (Read 333827 times)
waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #280 on: June 08, 2009, 01:09:56 PM

A lot of people are taking a break until Patch 1.3. With Mythic not addressing class balance, then the issues people are upset about now will simply continue with the new content.  Mythic devs don't play their game competitively, and due to that they have no friggin clue what to balance or why to balance.

CC is out of control, the lowest damage skills have the highest DPS multipliers, few LOS checks on ranged abilities, etc. Some classes can roll their face across the keyboard and kill entire warbands, and some classes can't kill a dam thing. Its just all fucked up, and then throw in the horrible T4 PVE...err PVP/E game and people are just getting sick of it.

As far as I know, there are nothing but medium and low pop servers now with pervasive population imbalance issues that make everything worse. Niche game? Yeah if Patch 1.3 bombs out, Warhammer will be competing in the sub 150k subscriber market within 6 months.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 01:11:47 PM by waylander »

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #281 on: June 08, 2009, 01:56:41 PM

Niche game? Yeah if Patch 1.3 bombs out, Warhammer will be competing in the sub 150k subscriber market within 6 months.

My guess is that if it isn't already below 150k in North America alerady, that it's pretty close.  WAR had a great opportunity when you consider the box sales at release.  They just had no clue how to keep the excitement going. 

1.3 will not save WAR.  Neither will the expansion.  The classes are broken.  The engine is horse shit.  The endgame sucks (soo much cc, ae, etc).

Game over. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #282 on: June 08, 2009, 03:45:15 PM

Thank god I was fanboi enough to get me into the beta. Otherwise I could've made the mistake of actually buying Failhammer.

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #283 on: June 08, 2009, 05:15:35 PM

I just got their "May" newsletter, and have a few points for Mythic.

• It's June 8th. May is over.
  • Lots of stuff is the newsletter is outdated and/or incorrect. All that stuff about important class balance etc.
  • I unsubscribed to your fucking newsletter 3 times now. Spamming me isn't going to encourage me to resub to your shitty and broken game.
  • Fuck you.

In conclusion, go fuck yourselves with a handful of broken Warhammer Online cds.
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #284 on: June 08, 2009, 05:22:49 PM

In conclusion, go fuck yourselves with a handful of broken Warhammer Online cds.

Use these:

Delmania
Terracotta Army

Reply #285 on: June 08, 2009, 07:17:08 PM

To be honest, the whole breaking of the CDs thing is a rather empty threat, mainly because you can simply download the client..

Anyways, I caved in and am playing the 10 day thing because some of my friends are still enjoying it.  However, not much has changed, and now I have this weird delay between when I do an action and when it shows on the screen.   Also performance on this machine is not better than when I left.   I wouldn't mind playing it only because I have some RL friends playing it and its the best way to stay in touch with them, but my god, I'd be embarassed to admit I was on the Warhammer development team.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #286 on: June 08, 2009, 07:43:31 PM

No matter what your friends say, don't pay for a sub.  I went back for a few days to play with some old friends and got cheated out of another $15.  I felt used.  The game was fun for about 7 days until I came to the clear realization that rvr was broken, the game was broken, and no amount of laughter on ventrilo was worth enduring the damn game. 

This coming from a 5+ year DAoC fanboi.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #287 on: June 08, 2009, 09:11:39 PM

I hope you recycled that garbage.
Chockonuts
Terracotta Army

Reply #288 on: June 08, 2009, 11:34:16 PM

Just wait until whatever colossal faction on each server sets up camp in LOTD.

The game will come to a screeching halt after 3 weeks of that kind of action.  Heartbreak
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #289 on: June 10, 2009, 08:57:27 AM

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssTechMediaTelecomNews/idUSBNG49025020090609

BANGALORE, June 9 (Reuters) - Taiwan-based online gaming software firm GigaMedia Ltd (GIGM.O) reported a fall in quarterly profit, missing estimates by a cent, due to a fall in revenue citing weakness of the euro against the U.S. dollar.

The company said it expects continued revenue pressure through the summer months due to normal seasonality and the effects of the global economic downturn.

The second quarter would remain flat to down sequentially in Asia and down in Europe, Think Equity analyst Atul Bagga said.

The company, however, seems to be confident about its Asian online gaming business in the second half of the year, driven by a strong pipeline.

GigaMedia is launching a slew of titles this year, including Electronic Arts Inc's (ERTS.O) Warhammer Online and NBA Street Online, and a Korean game Luna Online, it said in conference call with analysts.

"Electronic Arts was very positive about Warhammer's response in Taiwan. They said it was well exceeding their expectations," analyst Bagga said.

I suspect "expectations" aren't what they used to be.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #290 on: June 10, 2009, 09:09:07 AM

Couldn't help but think of this when it comes to EA and "expectations"
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #291 on: June 10, 2009, 09:39:29 AM

BANGALORE, June 9 (Reuters) - Taiwan-based online gaming software firm GigaMedia Ltd (GIGM.O) reported a fall in quarterly profit, missing estimates by a cent, due to a fall in revenue citing weakness of the euro against the U.S. dollar.

The company said it expects continued revenue pressure through the summer months due to normal seasonality and the effects of the global economic downturn.

The second quarter would remain flat to down sequentially in Asia and down in Europe, Think Equity analyst Atul Bagga said.

The company, however, seems to be confident about its Asian online gaming business in the second half of the year, driven by a strong pipeline.

GigaMedia is launching a slew of titles this year, including Electronic Arts Inc's (ERTS.O) Warhammer Online and NBA Street Online, and a Korean game Luna Online, it said in conference call with analysts.

"Electronic Arts was very positive about Warhammer's response in Taiwan. They said it was well exceeding their expectations," analyst Bagga said.

If you read the first sentence carefully, they missed their profit estimates "by a cent".  Clearly, they are operating on a very, very small scale here.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #292 on: June 10, 2009, 11:07:56 AM

Would not surprise me in the least if NBA Street does better overall.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #293 on: June 10, 2009, 01:05:32 PM

If you read the first sentence carefully, they missed their profit estimates "by a cent".  Clearly, they are operating on a very, very small scale here.

Not sure if that was supposed to be green or not, but that's profit per share, not total profit.

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #294 on: June 10, 2009, 01:09:59 PM

Yeah, I actually was being a smartass.  But really, coming out with statements about how you missed your profit-per-share by one tiny little cent is silly, and makes me think small scale.  For most companies, that'd be called being bang on target.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #295 on: June 11, 2009, 04:39:49 PM

Doorhammer Online: Age of Carpentry

On low-population servers, the War in Warhammer is removed, and replaced by doors. Stalwart fighters on Order side combat boredom along with Destruction during infrequent keep sieges.

via WHA.

Nerf saw

-Sincerly, Hammer.

Edit:  PvD combat!
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #296 on: June 11, 2009, 05:01:18 PM

That really does encapsulate the essence of the game.  One side attacks, the other side turtles up.  Lather, rinse, and repeat. 

-  Mark Twain
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #297 on: June 11, 2009, 05:06:09 PM

Heh, pretty funny.

Another door feature that I really liked was when the outer door would respawn while the inner door was being worked on... thereby preventing singles or groups from joining the fight... unless they took down the outer door (again).

Not sure if that behavior has been changed, but I sure thought it was neat.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #298 on: June 12, 2009, 10:11:19 AM

To be completely fair, that was the traditional method of medieval warfare as well. Armies did all they could to avoid open field battles where the outcome wasn't already determined by overwhelming numbers.

However, that makes for a really shitty shit game. Not to mention that in said medieval warfare, sieges weren't just about breaking down a door. Walls were undermined or bombarded, opening holes in the walls. Some people infiltrated the keeps either by tunneling under or somehow climbing over. And that's without magic. The reason people turtle is because it funnels every single person through one area of attack.

Game = fucked.

EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #299 on: June 12, 2009, 10:27:47 AM

To be completely fair, that was the traditional method of medieval warfare as well. Armies did all they could to avoid open field battles where the outcome wasn't already determined by overwhelming numbers.

However, that makes for a really shitty shit game. Not to mention that in said medieval warfare, sieges weren't just about breaking down a door. Walls were undermined or bombarded, opening holes in the walls. Some people infiltrated the keeps either by tunneling under or somehow climbing over. And that's without magic. The reason people turtle is because it funnels every single person through one area of attack.

Game = fucked.

Which brings us back once again to the whole why is WAR < DAoC mindfuck that no one can get their head around.  DAoC HAD FULLY DESTRUCTIBLE WALLS YEARS AGO.

most often known as Drevik
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #300 on: June 12, 2009, 11:05:10 AM

Well at least it seems the Mythic crew are consistent with the gimmicks... Oh look, a puzzle! And I have to agree, the game might be crap, but watching the erosion of it is magically delicious.. or horrifying, i can't decide.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm?game=239&feature=3128&bhcp=1

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #301 on: June 12, 2009, 12:30:27 PM

Seriously, what the fuck? How is that a good use of anyone's fucking time on a game this fucked?

raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #302 on: June 12, 2009, 12:41:54 PM

PUZZLE IS EVERYWHERE!

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #303 on: June 12, 2009, 12:51:00 PM

I believe it says: "PAUL IS DEAD"

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #304 on: June 12, 2009, 12:57:44 PM

He's absolutely not dead. I haven't resubbed.
Redgiant
Terracotta Army

Reply #305 on: June 12, 2009, 03:38:06 PM

He's absolutely not dead. I haven't resubbed.

Part of me says you didn't quite get it, whiel another part of me thinks you got it better.

A FUCKING COMPANY IS AT STEAK
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #306 on: June 12, 2009, 03:58:34 PM

I got it better.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #307 on: June 12, 2009, 04:22:05 PM

Game = fucked.

Yea, I was going to say the issue isn't really the door, but the fact the best way to 'defend' the door is to hide behind a corner waiting for the enemy to stream through a 2x2 hallway and explode them in laggy AE death.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #308 on: June 12, 2009, 04:31:28 PM

A substitution cipher that doesn't spell real words? How original.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #309 on: June 15, 2009, 05:27:11 PM

I hope you recycled that garbage.

Don't worry, even if he didn't, Mythic is sure to in their next MMO.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #310 on: June 15, 2009, 07:10:50 PM

Rimshot

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #311 on: June 16, 2009, 02:16:27 AM

Executive Producer's Letter - Part 2

Quote from: Jeff Hickman
Based heavily on that feedback, our current “Top 5” areas that we are giving significant attention to are:

1. Addressing concerns related to Crowd Control and Area of Effect abilities.
    2. Continuing to improve client and server stability and performance.
    3. Strengthening and improving the Tier 4 experience.
    4. Improving server population distribution – both in terms of overall population and realm balance.
    5. Improving itemization and the overall distribution of “carrots” (rewards) throughout the game.

While this is not anywhere near a complete list of what we’re working on, I wanted to make it clear that these are major priorities for the team and that we’re applying significant effort, attention and resources to addressing them at the moment and will be the topics of discussion for the final part of my letter.

I like the quoted section above.  Combat, stability, end game, population and loot, all apparently suck.  Part three is going to be fun.

Edit, ok I'm actually starting to feel sorry for them.  Here's the discussion thread on part 2.

Executive Producer's Letter - Part 2 Discussion

What I want to knowm, is where is Mark Jacobs and why hasn't he come out to comment on any of this? Is he even still employed there? Without MJ, there is no Mythic other than in company name.

Post Removed - Inappropriate Language

Please sort Executive Producer's letters in reverse order next time.

Part 3
Part 2
Part 1

Post Removed - Inflammatory

If you have nothing civil and constructive to contribute to the topic at hand, please do not post.

Thank you.

Honestly, the only thing I want right now, is Server Merges.

Please please please! Please give us server merges, I dont care how.  We need population.  I would rather have a person I can attack and get an error saying to far away, then not having a person to attack at all.

<3 daoc days
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 02:28:05 AM by Arthur_Parker »
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #312 on: June 16, 2009, 02:54:18 AM

Folks, while I understand the interest in Mr. Jacobs, let's keep the discussion on topic about EPL: Part 2, alrighty?

Let the countdown begin till MBJ declares victory and rides off into the sunset.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #313 on: June 16, 2009, 03:45:38 AM

Thank god I was fanboi enough to get me into the beta. Otherwise I could've made the mistake of actually buying Failhammer.

My default attitude towards all upcoming MMORPGs is to ignore them, avoid the beta, and presume they're all going to suck. Unless some kind of positive community buzz that "something's really going on here" reaches me, no time or money changes hands. Warhammer never got onto my radar.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #314 on: June 16, 2009, 05:18:02 AM

Continuing to improve client and server stability and performance.

WTF? The game has been out for almost a year, missed all subscription targets and they are still trying to fix these issues(and every letter it seems)?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 24 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Warhammer ends quarter with 300,000 paying subscibers  
Jump to: