Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:28:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Blood Bowl - for real 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blood Bowl - for real  (Read 251894 times)
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #805 on: October 28, 2010, 06:17:50 AM

So, LEAGUE TIME!

I need to do things seriously this time around. I am tempted to open a new thread to better keep track of things, but I'm a fetishit and I like long winded stuff with a history.

New "league only" thread?

And, who is up? For real! Legendary Edition only (unless you mob me back into regular).

I would like a league only thread. LE, please, for the love of god. The league stuff is soooo much better.

I would also recommend that Steam be our means of communication, meaning JOIN THE F13 BLOOD BOWL GROUP. The number one issue is scheduling matches.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #806 on: October 28, 2010, 07:09:34 AM

Looking at the league setup, I'm not entirely certain what all the different options are. There's a basic season, with no end of season playoff. Basically like the first one. There's a Cup setting with no divisions but pools; I guess this is like World Cup but I'm not sure what the major distinction is. Then there's Grand Slam which has the basic season divisions, like American football, a pool system AND an end of season playoff. I have no idea what this is.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #807 on: October 28, 2010, 08:20:06 AM

So, LEAGUE TIME!

I need to do things seriously this time around. I am tempted to open a new thread to better keep track of things, but I'm a fetishit and I like long winded stuff with a history.

New "league only" thread?

And, who is up? For real! Legendary Edition only (unless you mob me back into regular).

I'm down, start a new thread if you want. We should do a weekly format so as to keep the games rolling.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #808 on: October 28, 2010, 08:20:50 AM

I'm down for what ever.

And yeah, should probably start a new thread for the league.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #809 on: October 28, 2010, 08:40:15 AM

New thread it is.

MA, seems to me that "Cup" is the closest thing to an NFL tournament, with divisions (pools) and play-offs. And should be the one we will adopt for our League.

"Championship" has divisions with relegations and promotions, me thinks. Which is the Euro way of doing sports.

I might be very wrong.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #810 on: October 28, 2010, 08:55:12 AM

I'd just make sure you can keep the number of games/season down as much as possible, so that people have the maximum number of opportunities to drop in/out without fucking things up.

If there is any way at all to allow games to be played out of sequence that would also be awesome.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #811 on: October 28, 2010, 09:35:25 AM

Don't think you can play out of sequence but I think Free scheduling is the way to go. That way the commish can advance it as he wants.

Shortest season you can have is one game per opponent. Need to get a final list and hope it's not something stupid like four people, which would be heartbreaking.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #812 on: October 28, 2010, 09:37:18 AM

We already gathered 6, in less than an hour.

Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #813 on: October 28, 2010, 09:39:14 AM

I would like to go another round with this but I'm playing too many other things to devote the time necessary to suck less at this (look at my record!  why would you even want me in the league if I wasn't going to try to suck less?!).

If it ends up being an odd number of people I'll let myself be guilted into it but for now I'm going to wait till the price comes down a bit.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #814 on: October 28, 2010, 09:48:53 AM

Every league needs a 49er's.  Come on!

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #815 on: October 28, 2010, 10:26:50 AM

If you want to do some out of league matches with folks in the group your teams need to be in the Auld World public league. The other public leagues are random matchmaking only.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #816 on: October 28, 2010, 10:46:00 AM

Quote from: Steam
There has been an internal error initializing your transaction. Please contact support for assistance.

Daaammmnn  yyooooouuu Vallllllvvvvee!!!

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #817 on: October 28, 2010, 11:43:07 AM

I've gotten that before on a purchase. Just shut Steam down and then relog and repurchase. It's fixed it for me before.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #818 on: October 28, 2010, 12:49:21 PM

You can check out the different league setups in single player under the Begin a Competition option.  Championship would be like American football, Cup looks like a rotating elimination a la World Cup and Grand Slam says it's both. I have no idea how Grand Slam would work. I'm going to fart around with them all a little bit to see.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #819 on: October 28, 2010, 03:25:53 PM

LOL this is what the whole game should  have been like in the beginning not just the league stuff... There are TONS of options that were not in the first game.

Does it have a better tutorial?  I bought the first one, but never got the hang of it.  The tutorials, as far as I can recall, were all "This is how you move, this is how you pass" stuff, and the actual mechanics (like what influences the success/failure of a pass) were never really explained.  Every online FAQ I can find either assumes you already know the rules, or is uselessly vague (RULE 1: HAVE A STRATEGY!  YOU CANT WIN WITHOUT A STRATEGY!  RULE 2: KNOW WHAT YOUR PLAYERS ARE GOOD AT!  THIS IS IMPORTANT!  RULE 3: SOME BULLSHIT FROM 'THE ART OF WAR' WHICH I THINK WAS WRITTEN BY AN ANCIENT CHINESE HALFBACK).  I never really progressed beyond "having a bunch of guys around makes more successes," which makes it hard for me to tell what I'm doing wrong or right or what.
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #820 on: October 28, 2010, 03:46:50 PM

You can pretty much get the hang of it by setting it to Easy and just diving in single player via trial-and-error.  That's basically what I did, and then after I got the gist of everything the board game rulebook makes a lot more sense.  The main thing to learn quickly is to order your moves from least likely to fail to most since basically failing anything ends your turn (the Turnover, which is a confusing pun).

If you want to dive right into the rulebook first though, I think this is the one they are using now:
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m780049a_Blood_Bowl_Competition_Rules.pdf

As far as the online strategy pundits, eh, the game has a lot of randomness.  Don't worry too much about not knowing the ideal routine.  Picking a team that meshes with the way you like to play is more helpful than reading a million articles by miscellaneous internet people.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 03:50:34 PM by proudft »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #821 on: October 28, 2010, 03:48:52 PM

Sadly, no. No better tutorial. Yes, they still assume you know the game. Which is crazy.

Anyway, this is the Official Blood Bowl Manual ("Competition Rules") (.pdf). (edit: proudft beat me to it)

And this is a very important document, the Art of Blocking (.pdf).

Lovely papers  Heart
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 03:51:55 PM by Falconeer »

proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #822 on: October 28, 2010, 03:51:06 PM

Oh yeah, if you read one thing, read that blocking thing.   Heart
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #823 on: October 28, 2010, 04:09:17 PM

Yeah, I just read the pdf of the table top rules (which is free), and understood in perfectly after that.  Its a pretty exact translation.  Do that and your golden.

-Stephen Colbert
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #824 on: October 28, 2010, 04:49:58 PM

So I'm not done but it seems like Cup sets you into pools. You do round robin (or round robin twice, depending on how you set it) with the winners of the initial pools being put into one larger pool, no tournament.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #825 on: October 28, 2010, 07:14:50 PM

I wish I had not bought this game.

Seriously. I got a message AFTER I paid for it saying they have run out of stock. For licence keys. And it may be 2 to 5 days to get one.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #826 on: October 28, 2010, 10:30:57 PM

Through Steam?
carnifex27
Terracotta Army

Reply #827 on: October 28, 2010, 11:05:00 PM

You can pretty much get the hang of it by setting it to Easy and just diving in single player via trial-and-error.  That's basically what I did, and then after I got the gist of everything the board game rulebook makes a lot more sense.  The main thing to learn quickly is to order your moves from least likely to fail to most since basically failing anything ends your turn (the Turnover, which is a confusing pun).

If you want to dive right into the rulebook first though, I think this is the one they are using now:
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m780049a_Blood_Bowl_Competition_Rules.pdf

As far as the online strategy pundits, eh, the game has a lot of randomness.  Don't worry too much about not knowing the ideal routine.  Picking a team that meshes with the way you like to play is more helpful than reading a million articles by miscellaneous internet people.

A good tip when starting out is to put the dialogue box at the bottom of the screen to show the dice rolls instead of the commentary.  Seeing the target roll and results made a huge difference for me at least.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #828 on: October 29, 2010, 05:25:29 AM

Also, watch the cursor when doing a thing. It changes to show the d6 roll required on most actions requiring a roll.

Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #829 on: October 30, 2010, 04:59:29 AM

Looks like they don't give out keys outside of Working hours. Got my keys today.

Damm this is addictive. I love amazons dodging from everything, even if I can't do a damm thing vs a nurgle team with all of 4 players not strength 4 or higher. What do all the wacky nurgle skills do anyway?

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #830 on: October 30, 2010, 06:01:57 AM

If you select an opposing player you can hover over his skills in the lower right tooltip to get the skinny on what they do. Nurgle's Rot will turn people into zombie players if they die, Rotting means you fall apart and get injured easier.... urm... Foul Appearance means on a 1 you can't block the guy.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #831 on: October 30, 2010, 06:23:56 AM

Let's share some user names so we can add each others as friends, spy on each others' statistics and eventually set up a few friendlies while in game.

I am in as "Drew Falconeer". I didn't realize I could upgrade my old account, so if you had me in your old friend list, you need to add this new user name as well.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #832 on: October 31, 2010, 04:01:10 AM

Does the (US) Legendary Edition on Steam not have SecuROM like the earlier products did?
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #833 on: October 31, 2010, 07:45:39 AM

Does the (US) Legendary Edition on Steam not have SecuROM like the earlier products did?

No it doesn't not.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #834 on: October 31, 2010, 11:42:40 AM

Hmm...getting some random crashes.

Also, a general primer would be nice; even something that briefly tells me how each team is unique would be helpful. Right now I have no idea what teams are good at without guessing.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #835 on: October 31, 2010, 11:55:39 AM

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #836 on: October 31, 2010, 12:08:17 PM

Strazos, you are tempting me to write such primer. Too bad I REALLY am a poor Blood Bowl player. Lots of enthusiasm, very little skill. And I am not afraid to say that I don't know half of the races, especially the new ones.

Very short primer:

Each player has 4 Characteristics:

MA = Movement Allowance, how many squares you can move (unless you start your turn prone)
ST = Strength. This determines how many dice you are gonna roll when you attempt a block (try to known down an oppoent). Equal value with your opponent means 1 die. Less than your opponent means 2 dice and HE chooses which one to use after you rolled. AVOID THIS! Higher than your opponent means you roll 2 dice. For STR, 3 is the average. 2 is bad. 4 is very good.
AG = Agility. This is used for your dodge rolls which is trying to move away from an opponent tackle zone without being downed. It also determines how well you pass, receive, and pick up the ball.
AV = Armor Value. Every time a character falls prone, for any reason, he/she rolls 2 dice against his/her AV. If the roll exceeds AV, then you roll agiab to see what kind of injury he/she sustains. 9 is an average/good value. 7 is painful, your players will always be broken.

Based on these info, you might be able to look at each team and its rosters with a better understanding of things. Other than that, teams can be so different it's hard to give directions without being very verbose. On top of the above mentioned characteristics, players have skills, some are common, some are unique. Norsemen and Dwarves for example all have the block skill which makes them very good at knocking everyone else down. Dwarves are very slow, though, ad Norsemen have flimsy armours. Amazons are pretty much Norsemen with the dodge skill instead of block. It means they are harder to stop as they get away from your lines easier than other teams. Also, harder to down as they don't fall on a defender stumbles die result, but less good at sending you on your ass and still very prone to die or get injured. Various Elven teams have different characteristics, but they are pretty much all very fast and very easy to kill. All good at passing, Dark Elves have the Assassin which is a lot of fun to play. Humans and Orcs are similarly versatile teams where Orcs focus on running (although they can pass) and beating you up, while Humans are a bit better at passing and have more mobility. Vampires are a crazy team, advanced and random. I don't know much about them. Chaos are hard to play at first but tend to grow strong over time (You need a League for this). Goblins are a joke, and so are hobbits. Goblins and Hobbits are kind of joke teams with lots of silliness here and there. Goblins have weapons, they can be absolutely deadly, but you have to have money to keep bribing refs and prevent them from sending off your illegally armed players. Lizardmen are a strong team can surprise with the combination of heavy hitters and quick minions running everywhere with the ball. Skaven, I really don't know much about them other than they are very fast.

FAKE EDIT: Thanks to awesome Proudft link, my post just turned useless. Oh well.  swamp poop
And here's an animated Race Primer. Click on each race to get a quick glance at Strengths and Weaknesses. Cool.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #837 on: October 31, 2010, 03:48:43 PM

No it doesn't not.
FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT STILL USES SECUROM FUCK!

Fuck I'm having the same problem I had with Borderlands DLC Fuck!

Edit: should've read the forums before purchasing oh well, at least I got it to activate after relaunching the SecuROM activation program though other people are apparently having problems activating too so buyer beware:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=7628d64faab3ff77bde4376a81815f9d&t=1550415
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 03:54:25 PM by Trippy »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #838 on: October 31, 2010, 04:11:02 PM

Now that you are screwed anyway Trippy, are you gonna compete?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #839 on: October 31, 2010, 04:23:48 PM

Are we going to have a Beginners League too?
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Blood Bowl - for real  
Jump to: