Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:54:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Choppa and Slayer, now official 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Choppa and Slayer, now official  (Read 84472 times)
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: January 31, 2009, 07:47:57 AM

In addition, only players with an active WAR subscription will be allowed to post on the forums. There will be a number of different account “levels” on these forums and players who show that they can contribute to the ongoing improvement of WAR, whether through suggestions, critical evaluation, user-generated content, peer-to-peer (in other words, contribution has its privileges) will be given greater access to private areas of the boards where Mythic developers (including myself and strike team leads) will be posting extensively,

Ah, the breathtaking irony of a Mythic Forum Grind.

http://herald.warhammeronline.com/warherald/NewsArticle.war?id=603
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: January 31, 2009, 08:09:50 AM

There will be a number of different account “levels” on these forums and players who show that they can contribute to the ongoing improvement of WAR, whether through suggestions, critical evaluation, user-generated content, peer-to-peer (in other words, contribution has its privileges) will be given greater access to private areas of the boards where Mythic developers (including myself and strike team leads) will be posting extensively...

I predict that six weeks after forum launch, posters will discover that their forum contribution score was randomly generated when they first logged in to a forum.  In response Mythic will release a two sub forums that were cut during the forum closed beta.
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: January 31, 2009, 08:18:56 AM

I see your forum contribution point fiasco, and raise you one public flogging of the WebMaster in a "humourous" YouTube video.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: January 31, 2009, 08:47:27 AM

A closed forum?  That is the worst idea I've ever seen.  Talk about removing a marketing tool. 

Apparently Mark does listen to VN.  Well, he's getting what he deserves then.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #74 on: January 31, 2009, 08:51:10 AM

If they are smart they will have a beta forum.  Then they can take all the ideas that people offer and then do the exact opposite.  Then they will have a grand forum.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: January 31, 2009, 10:36:40 AM

Unbelievable. I mean, seriously. It's like a compass pointing to magnetic wrong every single time they do something.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: January 31, 2009, 12:03:15 PM

Unbelievable. I mean, seriously. It's like a compass pointing to magnetic wrong every single time they do something.

awesome, for real

That's hilarious. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: January 31, 2009, 12:51:16 PM

A forum grind? Where only subs can post, and people's opinions are judged and listened to based on how many 'forum points' they have?

Ok, seriously, what the fuck? Is Warhammer a huge psychological experiment just to see how many piss hoops people will jump through for video games that they've become attached to?

March
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: January 31, 2009, 01:15:45 PM

Seems to me, the only real questions worth asking are these:

Will contribution be assigned randomly to all who are present on the forum when a happy event (e.g. user content, peer-to-peer, or good critical eval) happens?
or
Will contribution be fragmented into individual grinds and then combined via some sort of arcane and barely comprehensible formula into a forum level unlock?

My former elder beta status has given me a peek into the future, and I think it is the latter.

raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: January 31, 2009, 03:23:04 PM

MJ is a cyber alchemist. Everything he touches turns to comedy gold. Jokes about the forum rankings aside, all I get out of that is, 'We're going to analyze what you post and based on how much we like you and your opinions will determine how much access you get.' MJ might as well just set up a little tea party with his dollies and talk to them and get their ideas for all the good this is going to do. There's no thought going into any of these decisions. There can't be. Not rational thought at any rate.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: January 31, 2009, 04:35:03 PM

Secret Pendragon test boards, 2.0!  awesome, for real

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #81 on: January 31, 2009, 05:06:50 PM

awesome, for real about sums up the whole forum thing for me.

God Save the Horn Players
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: January 31, 2009, 05:39:55 PM

Yeah, it sucks with some of the imbalances in WOW and I should have worded that better, but I think that even with the imbalances the PVP is more interesting than WAR is currently.  It just feels like all the classes are exactly the same and it takes forever to kill anything.  It makes for a very slow feeling game in my opinion.

I'm not sure it's possible to have balance in a class-based game.

Anyhow, WoW PVP is all out of whack the other way at the moment. Not that holy priests have ever been anything but fodder for DPS classes, but now I consider myself lucky to live for more than 4-5s against most classes.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #83 on: January 31, 2009, 05:43:56 PM

I'm not sure it's possible to have balance in a class-based game.
It is. Fighting games like SF and KoF have characters different enough to be considered classes.

class + gear = impossible to balance.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #84 on: January 31, 2009, 06:09:40 PM

On the forums:  awesome, for real ACK! awesome, for real

Anyone want to bet any money that if you say things deemed critical of Mythic / WAR / MJ on the supa sekret boards you'll be kicked off, never to be allowed to return? That it will become an echo chamber of positive feedback and limp suggestions (e.g. "Vampire Lords are totally cool and I've written a 1000 word post on how they can be seamlessly integrated into the game, starting with some fanfic")?

It's a car accident waiting to happen. Mythic just doesn't get players at all. Not how they behave, not what they want, not how to interact with them - nothing. It helps keep this forum ticking over (it went almost a week without having anything stupid in WAR to talk about before the latest announcements) but it's not a way to run a railroad MMO studio.

Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #85 on: January 31, 2009, 06:22:33 PM

Super secret forums are nothing new in War.

They had beta forums, and elder beta forums.

Then when War went live, they had test forums, and secret 'Posted enough "what did I have for dinner today?" type threads in beta' extra forums.

This just lets people know that there is a way to reach the extrasuperhappyeveryoneloveswarhammer forum. A wonderfully cosy echo chamber.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #86 on: January 31, 2009, 07:09:28 PM

Time to grind your Exalted status with Mythic dev Faction, boys.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #87 on: January 31, 2009, 07:22:05 PM

Perhaps he's realised that talking about Warhammer on forums is more fun that actually playing Warhammer, so decided to develop that side of the game instead.

The loot looks pretty shit though.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #88 on: January 31, 2009, 07:31:49 PM

I think Mark is right.  The time to open official forums on a project as big as Warhammer is certainly when your two proxy boards (Warhammer alliance and VN) have moderators that publicly start to wonder what the fuck you are doing.
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: January 31, 2009, 07:38:31 PM

Forumhammer!
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: January 31, 2009, 08:07:27 PM

Maybe they'll come out with a forum only sub plan for people who just want to play the forums.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #91 on: February 01, 2009, 01:20:07 AM

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #92 on: February 01, 2009, 03:24:37 PM

FATALITY!

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #93 on: February 01, 2009, 04:00:50 PM

Maybe they'll come out with a forum only sub plan for people who just want to play the forums.

With Jacobs no longer spawning on the F2P boards, the P2P forums will be the only way to find this particular mob. You'll only get one-shot for the gank though, so it had better be a good one.

Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: February 01, 2009, 05:10:14 PM

So when Mark came and posted here, we have to count it as income?  I'll alert my accountant.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: February 01, 2009, 11:40:43 PM

http://warhammervault.ign.com/View.php?view=Movies.Detail&id=223

Video tour of Mythics offices.

Words of warning: lots of clownshoes.

Oh, and check out the martini glass on mark's desk during the interview   awesome, for real
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 11:50:28 PM by waffel »
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: February 02, 2009, 12:04:10 AM

I'm impressed if he's getting through this with martinis.  At this point I'd be staggering in at 11:30 A.M., stinking of whiskey and varnish. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: February 02, 2009, 04:32:46 AM

That forum shit is idiotic... beyond idiotic. Getting points and reputation for good posts? Seriously?? Haha. Wow.
ashrik
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: February 02, 2009, 05:53:26 AM

It might just be an expanded version of Blizzards MVP system, that gives access to special forums instead of just green text and the hate of untold millions.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: February 02, 2009, 07:04:59 AM

Only active subs being able to post is pretty standard for official boards.  The 'forum level' thing sounds like the idea of a retarded monkey.  Nothing will generate more success than surrounding yourself with people who do nothing but agree with you!  awesome, for real

Over and out.
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: February 02, 2009, 07:17:36 AM

I noticed Brucie there has quite few WoW boxes behind him and at least one CoH box. They haven't gotten around to ORvR yet because he's probably still trying to grind out his Lightbringer.  why so serious?

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Redgiant
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: February 03, 2009, 11:24:47 AM

Every sentient being (fanbois excluded) knows Mythic just wants to get eyes off of forums which are not explicitly censored by them.

Even WHA doesn't cater to that level; no outside forum would (I'd hope).

This is a new low in propaganda and censorship attempts, seriously. I hope there is a fucking huge backlash in terms of cancellations and ridicule to stop others from thinking to try this crap on gamers.

A FUCKING COMPANY IS AT STEAK
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: February 03, 2009, 02:08:09 PM

Every sentient being (fanbois excluded) knows Mythic just wants to get eyes off of forums which are not explicitly censored by them.

Even WHA doesn't cater to that level; no outside forum would (I'd hope).

This is a new low in propaganda and censorship attempts, seriously. I hope there is a fucking huge backlash in terms of cancellations and ridicule to stop others from thinking to try this crap on gamers.

Oh for Christ's sake... look, the word "censorship" is the last bastion of internet mouthbreathers the world over who want to act like shits on the internet. They're allowed to censor. It's not a democracy. That's not where they're failing. They're failing because instead of just opening some fucking forums and kicking the shit out of people who act stupid they're tacking on a stupid gimmick which will allow the funneling of the most rabid fanboys into a perpetual private audience with Jacobs.

Stop saying censorship. There is no censorship on corporate run forums.
Ratama
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: February 03, 2009, 02:10:14 PM

This is a new low in propaganda and censorship attempts, seriously.
Eh, that's every official forum; hardly a new low.  Just stupid in that they waited this long.

Edit:  Or what MA said.  Dammit, getting slow in my old age.

Quote from: Modern Angel
they're tacking on a stupid gimmick which will allow the funneling of the most rabid fanboys into a perpetual private audience with Jacobs.
At this rate, those private forums will be the only place he'll be able to post as himself in (relative) peace; he's worn out his (relative) welcome everywhere he used to post, afaik.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 02:17:01 PM by Ratama »

Spare the rod, spoil the dev.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: February 03, 2009, 02:37:15 PM

The great glorious joke is that he hasn't worn out his welcome because the game is bad (though that certainly doesn't help) but because he's so Mark Jacobsy. When people are all, "Man, I hate Mark Jacobs" it's not because of the game.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Choppa and Slayer, now official  
Jump to: