Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 08:57:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Faction populations; We won't give you numbers, but we give you percentages!!! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Faction populations; We won't give you numbers, but we give you percentages!!!  (Read 9114 times)
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

on: January 20, 2009, 10:07:48 AM

Hilarious.

http://www.warhammerherald.com/warherald/NewsArticle.war?id=573

All that work when all they really had to do is list how many players are active per side per server so folks know where to fight. Jesus, talk about over complicating things.
waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 10:25:13 AM

Well on the 6 page "Nancy Drew outsells Warhammer" post at the Vault, Mark did say he'd talk to his team about putting paid transfers into the game.

I would have rather had paid transfers from the start and be able to pick servers with opponents I want to fight, then being forced into migrations onto servers where one faction or the other is demoralized and broken already.

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 10:27:21 AM

I would have rather had paid transfers from the start and be able to pick servers with opponents I want to fight, then being forced into migrations onto servers where one faction or the other is demoralized and broken already.

Call me unreasonable, but being asked to pay for a feature that compensates for their lack of forethought would really piss me off.  Server transfers should be free, optional, and dictated by the paying customer within a window of opportunity that Mythic defines.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 01:49:17 PM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 01:22:24 PM

They should include a 'tipping point' window that shows when their population number becomes less than the number of gold sellers banned.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 04:22:17 PM

Call me unreasonable, but being asked to pay for a feature that compensates for their lack of forethought would really piss me off.  Server transfers should be free, optional, and dictated by the paying customer within a window of opportunity that Mythic defines.

There should be a cost to server transfers to avoid letting players make them on impulse. But it shouldn't be that high - $10 a character would be fair-ish.

Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 05:56:10 PM

There should be a cost to server transfers to avoid letting players make them on impulse. But it shouldn't be that high - $10 a character would be fair-ish.

...but we also have to factor the current state of the game. That state is of such sadness that, even though I can play the game for free, I wont.

After they merge servers, announce real numbers, report concrete faction numbers per server, get the client running without consuming more than a gig of ram, finish DE/HE zones to be on par with G/D and E/C, put slayer and choppa in the game, reduce xp requirements and a lot of other stuff, then they could start charging players for such a service.

Dreaming is fun.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 06:40:51 PM

One free transfer every 2 month isn't going to hurt. Makes you choose carefully. Ofcourse, paying is always an option.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 09:07:58 PM

How many servers are there now?  Haven't they "closed" like 90% of them? 

Seriously, in 3 months it will be like DDO with 5 servers.  Then it won't matter if you can transfer for free or pay for it or pull your pud.
Chockonuts
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 09:43:27 PM

How many servers are there now?  Haven't they "closed" like 90% of them? 

Seriously, in 3 months it will be like DDO with 5 servers.  Then it won't matter if you can transfer for free or pay for it or pull your pud.

Don't know how many they have total, but they only have about 16 running med/med now.
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 03:52:47 AM

This is what I posted a couple weeks back when they sourced Hochland, which I think was the seventh or eighth server transfer iteration.

"If that's Hochland, then yes. The exact number eludes me (I thought it was in the mid 30s?). For open PvP ruleset that means that what started as 7 servers, is down to 2. For RP servers what started as 5 is down to 2 as well. Won't be long before each of those rulesets is down to 1 server a piece and they have to merge the open PvP/RP server into either of those two rulesets, probably open PvP. What was 36 Core servers is now down to 11 I believe, probably trim that a little more by the end of January.

All in all (rounding up a little for one ruleset and a little down for another) you had about a 1 in 3 shot of picking a server that is still around now, three months after the game got released, whew... That math any way you slice it is not good for a game. That doesnt include the fact that many folks picked a new destination server only to be told to move again. Some folks have moved three times already.

I don't know how they can spin that in a better light, but I am sure they will find a way."

If that helps. I know Arthur Parker was keeping a good tally that included EU and Aussie servers (i think?) but that is what I had come up with from my own digging.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 05:03:00 AM

I kinda lost interest to be honest.
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 05:27:59 AM

I kinda lost interest to be honest.

Same here.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 05:37:18 AM

Figures id be stuck in the server with the most inbalance.

I am the .00000001428%
Delmania
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 09:37:10 AM

It's no surprise that the claims of population imbalances aren't quite right.  A 50/50 split in population does make sense.  However, the important thing is how many active characters there are in a tier's oRvR zone at a given time.  It's nice that Order and Destruction are eventually matched in terms of overall numbers, but when you've got 200 players zerging up Reikland and only 8 people will defend against them while the other 192 grind BS, there's a problem.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 10:19:14 AM

If they had dynamic server data like you got from The Herald and some of the fansites that did daily server pop updates, it would be very easy to know. Were I Mythic, I don't think I'd want people seeing server populations and active subscriber numbers. 

Hey... coincidence?  swamp poop

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 10:26:51 AM

Sure, seeing the low numbers would be a  ACK! effect for some folks, others who play would probably want to know that their 5% difference in population means next to nothing if you only have 100 active. If you have 1000 active, whole new ballgame. Then again if they saw their server only had 100 active they'd want to transfer, heh.

waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: January 21, 2009, 11:30:31 AM

Mark claims he wants to tell people the server populations, and give out more numbers, but that EA won't allow it. He pretty much uses the "EA won't allow me to answer that" for any question which he can't spin his way.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: January 21, 2009, 11:52:05 AM

Mark claims he wants to tell people the server populations, and give out more numbers, but that EA won't allow it. He pretty much uses the "EA won't allow me to answer that" for any question which he can't spin his way.

I can understand witholding sales figures until the quarterlies are out while working for a publicly traded company... that makes sense.  What I don't get is why he's fixated on box sales.  MMO's make their $$$ from subs and retention.  Box sales are a measure of short term gains.  I'm guessing his fixation is because people are abandoning ship like it's the Titanic. 

-  Mark Twain
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #18 on: January 21, 2009, 11:56:11 AM

Xfire is a shit way to tell anything and any kind of ingame census is wildly inaccurate , anyway some guy was bored enough to count forum threads from a week back in September and compare to now.

10 current pages of threads on Warhammeralliance, 29 for the same period back in September on Warhammer.

27 current pages of threads on VN, 122 for the same period back in September on VN boards.

People post about WAR a lot less than they used to, looking around here, that's not really a surprise.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: January 21, 2009, 12:00:05 PM

Interesting statistics.  Seems people are either less interested, less vocal, or both.  I'm going to go with both.

-  Mark Twain
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #20 on: January 21, 2009, 01:05:07 PM

Interesting statistics.  Seems people are either less interested, less vocal, or both.  I'm going to go with both.

Less vocal isn't that likely.  The only people left are the crackpots.
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: January 21, 2009, 01:06:18 PM

I'd say both is a safe bet. You'll see an increase in threads with any new patch/info they put out, but that's about it.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #22 on: January 21, 2009, 04:12:25 PM

Less vocal isn't that likely.  The only people left are the crackpots.

That's a big issue with forums - they can look active, but you only really need a small number of hardcore users to post in the high numbers to achieve such an effect. WAR certainly has those. What it doesn't seem to have is the number of casual players required to keep the in-game population active.

Redgiant
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: January 21, 2009, 04:52:16 PM

It's no surprise that the claims of population imbalances aren't quite right.  A 50/50 split in population does make sense.

Unless they specifically tell me only those players in an ORvR T4 zone I know the numbers are purposefully skewed.

Face it, the fact that "gaining XP or RP" is the criteria is telling. Most of that is X vs. X in a Scenario, duh. Most people sit on their ass in a camp waiting for a Scenario to pop, so when they do "fit that criteria" they are equal numbers.

MJ is so full of shit, WAR just sucks period.

Build DAoC II next time, idiot. Assuming you ever get another chance. We all know you that *you* know that is what you should have done, but hindsight is ...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 05:51:15 PM by Redgiant »

A FUCKING COMPANY IS AT STEAK
Redgiant
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: January 21, 2009, 05:49:36 PM

Hey MJ, remember that comment not long ago that you were seeing no lag  or perf issues with a ~800 person RvR?

What alternate universe was that server on again?

No way, no how has 800 players EVER been in the same zone on any WAR server and not had issues left and right. Prove it and do it on any public server for others to experience and see.

A FUCKING COMPANY IS AT STEAK
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: January 22, 2009, 04:04:04 AM

I tried, unsuccessfully, to determine where he claimed to have had these 800 player battles. I highly doubt it happened, but who knows.
Delmania
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: January 22, 2009, 05:23:22 AM

It's no surprise that the claims of population imbalances aren't quite right.  A 50/50 split in population does make sense.

Unless they specifically tell me only those players in an ORvR T4 zone I know the numbers are purposefully skewed.

Face it, the fact that "gaining XP or RP" is the criteria is telling. Most of that is X vs. X in a Scenario, duh. Most people sit on their ass in a camp waiting for a Scenario to pop, so when they do "fit that criteria" they are equal numbers.

MJ is so full of shit, WAR just sucks period.

Build DAoC II next time, idiot. Assuming you ever get another chance. We all know you that *you* know that is what you should have done, but hindsight is ...

I said what's important is the number of people in the various tiers' oRvR zones.  By their nature, scenarios will all fall into a 50/50 split so you can discount them.

GoodIdea
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: January 22, 2009, 08:42:00 AM

Fortresses right now are lag free if you have a somewhat decent computer. I don't think the player cap is 800 players, I think it's more like 400-500. Whatever it is, it's playable right now and decently fun.

Chockonuts
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: January 22, 2009, 02:32:12 PM

Fortresses right now are lag free if you have a somewhat decent computer. I don't think the player cap is 800 players, I think it's more like 400-500. Whatever it is, it's playable right now and decently fun.

nope, probably more like 300 TOTAL for both sides. Thats what some people were reporting. 175 ish attackers, 80ish defenders and crasheroonie.  But if its stable, who cares how many are in there.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: January 22, 2009, 09:03:35 PM

No way, no how has 800 players EVER been in the same zone on any WAR server and not had issues left and right. Prove it and do it on any public server for others to experience and see.

800 people still play this game? Idiots  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

My sub finally finished - if it hadn't I would still be uninstalling the game ready for DoW2 - because at least relic know how to appeal to their target audience, unlike Mythic.

Hmmmm... RTS WAR could be pretty interesting - as long as MJ et.al. didn't get their hands on its development.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Faction populations; We won't give you numbers, but we give you percentages!!!  
Jump to: