Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:43:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  The f13 Radicalthon  |  Topic: Dwarf Fortress: The dwarvening 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress: The dwarvening  (Read 81109 times)
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: January 16, 2009, 04:24:23 PM

There so should be a death pool on this.
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: January 16, 2009, 04:26:05 PM

Damnit... My legendary axe user just broke his leg while sparring with a recruit... Wtf.
The recruit made a bad move so the legendary axe user had to pull his blow or turn him into hamburger.  Unfortunately with his skills it meant the axe pulverized his leg.  Make the recruit do a thousand push-ups.

About 5 minutes after that, the swordsdwarf and 2 xbow users both broke legs as well... I moved the stairs farther away.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #72 on: January 16, 2009, 04:37:42 PM

Clearly the dwarves have never heard of guardrails and stair landing clearances.

They need some building codes.  awesome, for real

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: January 16, 2009, 05:11:18 PM

I just hope they don't do what my hunter did... Broke a foot, waited forever for it to heal them promptly drowned in the brook that is only in 1 square on my map.

Do wells need running water?

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #74 on: January 16, 2009, 06:53:03 PM

This game is very intent on pissing me off as much as possible.  It's not just that my dwarves don't do anything that I want them to do, but that other people's dwarves are busy as fucking beavers.  The lazy fucks refuse to make charcoal and I am going to just watch them die from starvation or nips from bats and lizards.  Assholes.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: January 16, 2009, 07:27:19 PM

Try that dwarf manager link I posted earlier... It really helps.

The dwarven gods have spoken! Even they hate Trammel.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 03:07:25 AM by FatuousTwat »

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: January 17, 2009, 03:26:46 AM

My wee colony is going very well.  Finally found metal (and lots of it) and we even managed to pump out a couple of really nice Artifacts.

The dwart manager is very good and helps a lot.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: January 17, 2009, 05:42:19 AM

Just had my leader go insane, needed some specific type of metal bar (probably adamantine) she had previously made an artifact (I think that barrel in fact), then her son (who was a child at the time) did the exact same thing... WTF? I thought it was supposed to be 1 artifact per person.

I also just got my well up and running, and my magma smelter/forge as well. I can finally make steel crap without 100 charcoal. I cant remember if I have sand or not, if I do, everyone is getting green glass furniture! Still working on the above-ground fortifications. My attempt today backfired... I put fortifications on the bottom floor, and goblins shot the shit out of 2 of my dwarves. I gotta remove them, put walls up instead and then finish the second floor.

Anyone have suggestions on trade caravans? Just build a separate building for the depot, and link it up underground? Can enemies bypass floodgates when they are up?

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #78 on: January 17, 2009, 12:02:39 PM

Try that dwarf manager link I posted earlier... It really helps.

The dwarven gods have spoken! Even they hate Trammel.

Hahahaaa nice

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: January 17, 2009, 09:02:50 PM

So can you shoot through floor grates? I'm trying to make murderholes.

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #80 on: January 17, 2009, 09:58:50 PM

So can you shoot through floor grates? I'm trying to make murderholes.
Nope. Use fortifications on the same level.

Another not-often known thing about fortifications, while we're on the subject, is that you can shoot in and out if you're standing next to them. This means that if you line a corridor, you'd better put a moat between the fortifications and the hostile ground, otherwise the creatures will run right up and shoot you through your own murder holes.
Jade Falcon
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: January 18, 2009, 08:03:18 AM

Sweet first artifact :) and for a change it somewhat fits into my profession,sort of ,in a round about way.Will I be only brewing below grounds booze? or is there an above ground farm in my future? preferably one with walls,and towers,and archers.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #82 on: January 18, 2009, 08:35:08 AM

What I'll probably do is when I get to making glass, I'll create your farms next to the others and create a glass roof above it so it can get sunlight. Much safer that way.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: January 18, 2009, 09:06:54 AM

Depending upon the terrain, I either make a walled-in garden whose only access is from underground and inside the walls, or a find a lovely bit of canyon surrounded by cliffs and wall it off.  One time I channeled into an underground room two below the surface, then walled off the edges of the pit.  I was proud of that design because it ended up with a nice aesthetic.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #84 on: January 18, 2009, 11:19:28 AM

What I'll probably do is when I get to making glass, I'll create your farms next to the others and create a glass roof above it so it can get sunlight. Much safer that way.
Holy crap, I never thought of that.  So you can grow farms of 'outside' plants underground as long as it has a glass cealing?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: January 18, 2009, 04:00:27 PM

Holy crap, I never thought of that.  So you can grow farms of 'outside' plants underground as long as it has a glass cealing?

Unless Toady fixed it, it doesn't even have to be glass, just channeled open and then refloored over.  If it ever saw natural light it stays forever flagged as that for some reason.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #86 on: January 18, 2009, 06:53:43 PM

It's fall.  Charcoal is being made.  The dwarves seem OK, but then I haven't really queried their mental state lately.  I went to check on my miner with the intent of giving him something to do besides stomp lizards and sleep all day, and it seems I was just in time.  He had gotten a copper pick, before I even knew my metalsmith had made one, and was covered in blood splatter.  Can dwarves go mad from being outside too much?  Hopefully I can figure out how to get them to dig a hole before winter sets in.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Jade Falcon
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: January 18, 2009, 07:58:19 PM

If they don't go outside enough they get sun sickness and when they do venture out will start puking all over the place.
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: January 19, 2009, 01:01:15 AM

Oh man. The death and birthrate is too high at my fortress. I have 11 children, 3 babies and 13 adults. NOTHING IS GETTING DONE!

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #89 on: January 19, 2009, 04:01:45 PM

Oh man. The death and birthrate is too high at my fortress. I have 11 children, 3 babies and 13 adults. NOTHING IS GETTING DONE!

I think you'll find that something is getting done, just not birth control.

FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: January 19, 2009, 05:48:14 PM

I wish there was a [FUCKING:OFF] in the init.txt.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #91 on: January 19, 2009, 05:52:12 PM

My structural engineer and my leader are fucking all the time... well as far as I can tell but the leader seems to be asleep a lot.  When not in the leader's bed with him (she is the only on with an assigned bed but she doesn't use it), the structural engineer hangs out in adjoining rooms next to a wall.  Listening?  Scratching REDRUM in the wall?  Time will tell.  I need to give that woman a job.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: January 20, 2009, 01:29:01 AM

Mor updatezzz plis.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #93 on: January 20, 2009, 04:39:51 AM

Mor updatezzz plis.

Addictive, isn't it? Every time someone posts in this thread I just have to check in case there is a new chapter.

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #94 on: January 20, 2009, 10:18:34 AM

I'll try and play some tonight! I haven't forgotten, just have been busy. (Takes about 3-4 hrs for game, 1hr to transcribe)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 10:46:13 AM by bhodi »
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #95 on: January 20, 2009, 10:57:42 AM

Same here.  It's harder for me perhaps because my dwarves don't really seem to be doing anything.  Unmotivated, except when digging for some reason.  Recently acquired picks allowed me to carve out a few rooms in the yellow sand and so that's where I set up a nice huge farm plot, but no one is planting anything.  Well, one of the farmers planted one square, and quite some time later one of them planted one more square.  I try to cut them some slack since they have to frequently take breaks and hunt vermin in order to survive, but they don't seem to get the whole idea of planting crops and how it will help them not eat macaques and bats anymore.

I should probably check my stocks and see if the seeds went bad.  That might throw a(nother) wrench into the works.

I'm already thinking how much fun it will be for the next expedition to stumble over this site.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: January 20, 2009, 11:11:59 AM

That happened to me once, but it was because I'd put in wheat grass and, on checking my stores, found all the seeds gone.

Once I changed it to plump helmets (giggle) 4 dwarves sprang into action.

It also helps to give specific dwarves specific jobs.  That way you KNOW when summats up with the silly bastards.

I dunno why it's so addictive.  I have a couple of games running myself, but I like hearing about Bhodi's wee colony.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: January 20, 2009, 11:46:19 AM

I should probably check my stocks and see if the seeds went bad.  That might throw a(nother) wrench into the works.

I'm already thinking how much fun it will be for the next expedition to stumble over this site.
Remove any hauling tasks by your farmers except maybe food to see if that gets them moving.  Also make sure to toggle cooking off for seeds in the kitchen menu.  (z -> kitchen)

Maybe for drinks, too.  I hate when they cook all my ale.

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #98 on: January 20, 2009, 07:02:46 PM

Episode Four: Progeny and Projects (part 1)

Episode Goals:
Start a wonder of the Dwarven world
Experience the miracle of childbirth
Develop alternate revenue sources

Things are moving along nicely; we are able to sell our goods, we make enough to live, and we can now concentrate fully on larger projects. As with most engineering marvels, it will take a long time, is fraught with peril, and requires long hours of back-breaking labor. Oh, and of course, mechanical power.

There are two ways of getting power - water and air. Moving water gives you 100 power units and is harnessed through waterwheels. Air gives you ether 20 or 40 power units and is captured by windmills, fixed at the creation of your settlement. I built a sample windmill early on, and discovered that we get 40 units in this location. Since we have a perfectly good brook, however, there's no real reason why we shouldn't use that instead.

Any water tiles connected to moving water counts; most people build them next to the stream but you don't have to. I'm not going to since it limits our expansion options. We start by digging a channel in the lower left corner of the map and building some mechanisms...

Waterwheels cannot be built unless you attach them to something - In this case, I've elected to attach them to a mechanism. Build the mechanism on the bank, then you can build the waterwheel beside it, in the water. While we're at it, might as well widen the water tiles and build a second. This gives us 200 power - it should be plenty to work with, for now. If we need more, we can simply chain more waterwheels on alongside the first two. There is no such thing as torque; you can send an infinite amount of power through one mechanism.

And, of course, we'll need to do a little de-forestation...

While this has been going on, our pro wrestlers have been passing around the championship belt:

And just in time, too.

Our force is dispatched and races across the ground after the Goblins, UnSub in the lead. Rasix catches up to one:

Unsub, while battling a goblin, bull rushes him into one of the ponds and holds the golbin under water until he drowns...

Unfortunately, being a dwarf, he's then unable to get back out of the water.

Deep within the earth, a true hero is laid to rest:

... And then life goes on, for he will surely be the first of many. Construction of tunnels as deep as dwarves can safely dig continues...

While on the surface, a large stockpile of stone is created and the first part of the construction is laid out.

Some underground rooms are created near the waterwheels, stacked on top of each other, one on each level.

As there is death, there is also life:

ACK!

Um, congratulations.. Err, miss... uh.. that is, I didn't notice you were... I can't tell dwarves apart, and you seemed to be .. uhm ... anyway....

It's a good thing you're taking good care of your newborn!

Back on the surface... What is that?!

Oh no. No, no no. I said it was to be ALL GRANITE! How can you mess something like this up? Tear it down. Tear it all down and try again.

With spring, comes another aggression. The usual suspects are roused from their beds and rushed off to meet the attack...

Wait, Yoru! What... what are you doing?!

(part 2 to follow)

« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 09:53:57 PM by bhodi »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #99 on: January 20, 2009, 07:15:06 PM

Yoru ACK! awesome, for real
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #100 on: January 20, 2009, 07:21:02 PM

I knew I wanted to be a do nothing aristocrat!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Also: Yoru, you shouldn't have used the baby as a club.

sidereal
Contributor

Reply #101 on: January 20, 2009, 11:55:36 PM

Let that be a lesson.  You don't bring an infant to a macefight.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #102 on: January 21, 2009, 12:13:10 AM

There so should be a death pool on this.

I win!  awesome, for real

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: January 21, 2009, 09:53:51 AM

Looks like I'm back on my feet.  I wonder what I'm more experienced at.

Poor Yoru.  He was so surprised at popping a sprog he didn't know what to do.  UnSub, I'll be sure to ... drown ... my sorrows at your loss with a cool glass of dwarven rum.  We can use the goblin's dagger as a swizzle stick.  Then name it a Wharggaarble Blaster.

I should have been a brewer instead of a hunter.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #104 on: January 21, 2009, 09:56:41 AM

Get the hell out of my way Ive got shafts to dig.  Damn sweaty dwarves always huggin' each other and calling it 'combat training.'  GET A DAMN ROOM!

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  The f13 Radicalthon  |  Topic: Dwarf Fortress: The dwarvening  
Jump to: