Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:20:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: So. P90X anyone? (Misery loves company) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] Go Down Print
Author Topic: So. P90X anyone? (Misery loves company)  (Read 477170 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1505 on: July 29, 2019, 09:14:48 AM

As an old fart (and huge Lee fan), I've considered Wing Chun a few times over the last couple years.

My old man has been busting my balls because he was a fitness nut in his middle age and I'm not. After his quintuple bypass, I'm suddenly thinking a bit more about kicking my circulatory system into gear.

I'd have to drive an hour to get to the nearest class twice a week after work, though.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1506 on: July 29, 2019, 11:45:22 AM

I go about an hour out of my way to Oakland to get to my wing chun school now because I got hooked on it back when I worked in the East Bay and the location was super convenient.  Now it's not convenient any more but I'd rather suffer the BART ride over there twice a week than try to find another good school.  

Been practicing about 5 years now and feel like I'm on the cusp of knowing what I'm doing, AMA.   awesome, for real

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #1507 on: August 01, 2019, 09:46:58 AM

I think the specific class/teacher is a lot more important than the actual style though.

100% Agree.  If you can find an instructor that your kid meshes well with it makes all the difference.  My one kid was really into it until his instructor moved out of town.  The new instructor had a much different teaching style and his interest tanked shortly after.  Also finding a class that has kids in a broad age group is really helpful.  You still get the mentoring from the older kids and adults but also have some similar aged kids to spar with as well as younger kids for your kid to mentor as they get more experienced.
justdave
Terracotta Army

Reply #1508 on: August 08, 2019, 06:09:56 PM

...he was a fitness nut in his middle age...

...After his quintuple bypass...

Man, just watch your trans fats, get checked up,  and get some cardio. If you're super-feeling the Wing Chun, it'll make it itself worth the time. Or you could do some Wang Chung.

"They started to resist with a crust that was welded with human brain and willpower."
schild
Administrator

Reply #1509 on: August 08, 2019, 07:10:53 PM

Or you could do some Wang Chung.

Take your baby by the hand
And make her do a high handstand
And take your baby by the heel
And do the next thing that you feel

technically exercise
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1510 on: March 20, 2023, 06:28:57 AM

Thought I'd drag this thread back from the abyss for some perspective and an update to a community I've been at least on the periphery of since I was a fat kid. I'm currently prepping to do the British army airborne selection course (aka P Company), which will be a horrible week of suffering. It's the first time in my life I've committed myself to a physical event type thing, never done a race/marathone/competition and it's feeling intense in terms of training, etc. Not helped by the fact that if I don't pass this time round I've got 15 months left where I'll even be eligible to attempt it (40+ and you can no longer get boxing insurance, which is required for the milling event). Had the first intro weekend and most of the guys on this course are early 20s and skinny as fuck but I think I finished back of the top 1/3 more or less so feeling pretty pleased with my old ass self.

Anyone here gone through event training and have any general feedback about maintaining discipline/focus?

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: So. P90X anyone? (Misery loves company)  
Jump to: