Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:37:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: So. P90X anyone? (Misery loves company) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So. P90X anyone? (Misery loves company)  (Read 477248 times)
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1400 on: May 27, 2015, 10:38:52 PM

Your deductions about rep ranges is pretty much correct.  That said, especially with 1 and 2, there is a pretty big overlap, especially for a noob....you will get some muscle mass improvement with range 1, and you will some strength with range 2.  Still, it is important to understand which ranges are most effective which areas, because that is how your whole program should be set up.  Starting Strength is designed to be one of the fastest ways to gain strength, and that is why it operates in the 1 to 5 range. 

The mistake most people make is that they start in range 2, as if 10 reps is some kind of magical number, and they stay in range 2.  And thus they never really get stronger, and if they are not getting stronger, they probably are also not getting bigger.  It is wise to incorporate both of these rep ranges into your lifting.  Not necessarily at the same time, though.  You are in noob phase, and there is no question that working in range 1 is the best way forward for now.

Range 3 should only be used by advanced lifters, IMO, and only for specific purposes.  For most people, it is next to useless.  Building endurance probably shouldn't be a lifter's goal, especially when working in range 1 or 2 will probably give you even better endurance.

On the subject of lifting to failure:  you have also understood this correctly, although I would add that this is primarily for helping you to figure out your starting maxes.  Once you are some time into the program, I don't think you should be on the verge of total failure on the fifth rep of the final set.  It is actually quite important that you do not fail any reps, so it might be good to be a bit conservative in your starting max weights.  Linear Periodization like the program uses requires that you accomplish each set and each rep, and then bump up the weight the following week.  Above all else, finish the reps and add weight next week.  You gotta take the long view here.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #1401 on: May 28, 2015, 02:01:43 AM

Range 3 should only be used by advanced lifters, IMO, and only for specific purposes.  For most people, it is next to useless.  Building endurance probably shouldn't be a lifter's goal, especially when working in range 1 or 2 will probably give you even better endurance.

Or, alternatively, people training for sports. Like runners, cyclists, swimmers or, in respect to Miguel, hockey players.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1402 on: May 28, 2015, 02:13:36 AM

While that is true, you will get way more benefit by doing strength or hypertrophy.  A guy who puts 135 on the bar and works his way up to 20 reps for endurance reasons (without ever exceeding that weight) will probably be totaly unable to move 225 pounds even once.  On the other hand, a guy who focuses on doing 1 to 5 reps for 225 can probably already bench 135 for 20, even if he never trains it.  Strength transfers over to endurance far more easily than the reverse.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #1403 on: May 28, 2015, 05:31:41 AM

You seem to be focusing solely on lifting again. Why would a hockey player want to move 225 pounds and why would a cyclist want increased muscle mass though hypertrophy?  That's not to say they wouldn't do any low rep/high weight training but while a marathon runner might do sprint intervals each week, they wouldn't only do sprint training as prep for a race.  Conversely, a sprinter won't be doing 3k tempo repeats because it won't be beneficial for them (because, yes, strength transfers over to endurance easier than vice versa).

Also, why do you feel the need to say "without ever exceeding that weight"? I mean, you can say the same about strength training - "A guy who puts 150 on the bar and does 3 set of 5 reps (without ever exceeding that weight) will probably be totally unable to move 225 pounds even once."  Basically, it's doing it wrong and I know you know that. Progression is required to improve, no matter what you're training for. (Which inevitably leads to the suggestion that, yes, someone training in range 3 might well be able to lift 225 lbs at some point in the future - because progression. Just not as quick for someone focusing on strength training.)

EDIT:

And once again, I keep forgetting that Miguel was doing Ice Hockey, not Field Hockey so in has case, yes, would absolutely suggest more strength and power training than endurance.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 06:00:47 AM by DraconianOne »

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1404 on: May 28, 2015, 07:37:34 AM

I am pretty sure we agree with each other.  I was just honing in on the idea that lifting for high reps to create endurance is probably not very efficient.  I mean sure, if you are doing this and managing to also keep putting more weight on the bar, then that would work.  Except that this kind of lifting is not well suited for being able to keep putting more weight on the bar.  Put another way....a lifter who can move 225 a few times will have more strength, power and probably physique than the dude who is doing 135 for tons of reps.  Pure strength carries over very well.  The opposite is not true.  Talking purely about lifting, obviously.  If you want to be a great distance runner, you should probably generally avoid the weights.

And yeah, for ice hockey I would think strength training and/or powerlifting would be the way to go as a primary focus.

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #1405 on: May 28, 2015, 07:51:33 AM

I am pretty sure we agree with each other. 

Yes, I think we do. I apologize for getting a little pedantic and Ohhhhh, I see. about it.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #1406 on: May 28, 2015, 08:26:53 AM

Back when I was playing several times per week (perhaps 10 years ago, before the wife, kids, and soul crushing work load), one of the primary reasons I started "weight training" was to try and improve muscle imbalance (meaning that I have a large strength delta between my right and left sides, especially my legs).  I was only going to the gym once per week and playing twice, so health wise I thought it was enough to keep myself healthy, however my performance was never what I wanted it to be.

I sought out a trainer who specialized in ice hockey training, and his workouts were mostly muscle-targeted machine work of light resistance and many reps, often hitting the same groups over and over on different machines.  It mimicked more the flow of a game, where we would do the reps at high intensity for 30-60 seconds, then stop dead and sit for 2 minutes, then on to the next.  It seemed more like circuit training than anything else.  During those 9 months I never really saw much if any changes in my playing ability:  although to be fair I was only going to the gym twice per week.  The muscle imbalance never improved, and the amount lifted never increased much during those 9 months.

I think the main problem (to Cyrrex's point) was that my trainer was already quite strong (and dealing with people who were), and I was lacking the basic foundational strength to tailor to a game-specific need.  Hockey involves a lot of starting from dead stops, which requires a lot of raw strength to get those first few steps...to say nothing about being able to hold a high speed turn on one leg, which is like squatting several times your body weight on a single leg over and over (something my right leg can do better than my left).  In fact many NHL players do a ton of 1-leg squats while balanced on boxes since this is a staple of the game.  I can't do a single one, even on my right leg. :)

I found some training guides published by college teams, and a lot are saying that power cleans are also great exercise for hockey, since they involve rapidly accelerating a weight using the entire body.  I'm excited that Starting Strength incorporates them after 3-4 weeks / 12 sessions.

In any case, I'll post progress and see if anything changes this time around, as I'll still be playing once per week while doing this program.  Again, to the point of "Strength transfers over to endurance easier to the reverse" I'm hoping that increasing strength will mean less effort in playing which means I can play harder for longer as a result.  And I'll be starting from scratch, as to this day I can only do 7 pushups, and I've never been able to do more than a few chin-ups, and never a single dip.

“We have competent people thinking about this stuff. We’re not just making shit up.” -Neil deGrasse Tyson
climbjtree
Terracotta Army

Reply #1407 on: June 03, 2015, 04:29:12 PM

I'm back to cleaning more than 100kg after taking it easy for a while post surgery, but I think I've started pulling under the bar too late. Past 100kg or so, I start missing about 50% of the time. Thoughts?

https://www.coachseye.com/v/ItMJ
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1408 on: June 03, 2015, 05:32:12 PM

I'm back to cleaning more than 100kg after taking it easy for a while post surgery, but I think I've started pulling under the bar too late. Past 100kg or so, I start missing about 50% of the time. Thoughts?

https://www.coachseye.com/v/ItMJ

thoughts:

1. I want to go to a gym like that.
2. Prince on the speakers... +10pts
3. Good job coming back

- I never do cleans so I have no way of critiquing.  awesome, for real

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
climbjtree
Terracotta Army

Reply #1409 on: June 03, 2015, 06:18:10 PM

Haha, that's alright. I liked all those points anyway.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #1410 on: June 03, 2015, 08:11:55 PM

Coachseye.com looks useful.  Any other examples like that?
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1411 on: June 03, 2015, 10:31:07 PM

I don't know, that looked all right to me - wish I had your form.  None of that looked like too much of a struggle.  The only thing I would note is that you seem to catch the bar with your thighs quite a bit above parallel, and then you proceed to let the weight push you down almost ass-to-grass.  Is that on purpose?  A lot of people do it this way totally on purpose just to get more of a front squat out of the exercise, but it occurs to me that A) it means you are catching the bar higher than you strictly need to, and B) you are expending energy you don't strictly need to expend.  If you are going to go down that far anyway, why not try to catch the bar lower to start with?

I give this advice totally lacking the ability to follow it myself, so grain of salt and whatnot.

climbjtree
Terracotta Army

Reply #1412 on: June 04, 2015, 10:31:43 AM

I think that's the issue. I *think* I'm starting the pull under the bar too late, and so I'm sort of chasing it down. If I pulled earlier, I wouldn't have to lift the weight as high and I could just catch it super low.

Either that or my hips are just really slow and I can't reverse that hip extension fast enough.

Coachseye.com looks useful.  Any other examples like that?

I use it a lot, and I know it's used in a lot of sports. On your phone you can scrub though a video frame by frame and see how much you suck at each part of the lift.

I don't upload all my videos, but I've got a few on there: https://www.coachseye.com/u/roblanedude
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 10:37:29 AM by climbjtree »
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1413 on: June 05, 2015, 01:25:50 AM

Did the weight you were using in that video challenge you?  It didn't look like it, and it looked like it was 90kg or so, right?  It might be easier to figure out what your "issues" are if you are closing to a failure.  The lighter the weight, the more tempting it will be to catch it high...simply because you can.

Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #1414 on: June 05, 2015, 03:12:18 PM

Update after a few workout sessions:

The deadlift, squat, and overhead press are new exercises to me, and I really like how they've revealed the weak points in my entire body.

First off on the squat:  I started with an empty barbell (45 lbs) at home for a few weeks practicing in front of a mirror.  On my first workout, I added weight 10 pounds at a time until my form / tempo started to falter, then backed back off.  I reached this point at 90 lbs (total with bar is 135 lbs).  However it wasn't my legs that were faltering, it was my lower back.  At that weight, I couldn't maintain my back straight once the weight was up in the low-bar position, and the weight tipped side to side as I was going through the motions.  I was also buckling my knees inward.  I backed off down to two 35 lb plates and was able to get through my 3x5 routine with proper form and tempo.  Funny thing is that on the seated leg extension machine, I can manage much higher weight, but the squat was the first exercise where I could see different areas failing when the body works as a whole.

Bench press didn't have a lot of surprises: I started out at 35 on each side, and was never reaching failure, even at the third set (yes! my back is weak enough that my bench is the same as my squat).  Overhead press was similar, but I've established two 10 lb weights (65 lbs total) as my 3x5 starting point.

Deadlift faired a bit easier.  I started at 45 lbs on each side, and was able to make it through the 3x5 set without issue.  Form looked good, but I might take a video and post it so you guys can critique it.

I'm trying to take Rippetoe's advice to heart, and start out on the lower side, since the progression is so fast and so much weight is added with each workout.

“We have competent people thinking about this stuff. We’re not just making shit up.” -Neil deGrasse Tyson
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1415 on: June 05, 2015, 10:24:08 PM

Yeah, starting a bit on the low side is better than starting too ambitious, no doubt about that.

On your squat, don't think of it as your back failing, think of it more as your core failing.  More specifically, it is very likely that it is actually the abdominal part of your core that is failing, which is what will cause your back to buckle or otherwise begin to bend forward.  Squats are an ab exercise just as much as they are a leg exercise.  It is important to understand this concept, because learning how to leverage your abs - and your whole core, really - in order to help you with the lift (as opposed to them being the cause of failure), is something that can easily add 20% to the amount you can lift.  Squats are a very tiring exercise, and it is tempting to let the parts of your body which you believe to be un-involved relax as much as possible.  In reality, the squat uses almost all your muscles, so you want to do the opposite.  If you can manage to tighten every muscle in your body, with emphasis on pushing out your abs (pretend you are preparing to get punched in the stomach), you will be waaaaaay ahead of the game.  Also, you're probably leaning forward a bit, which most people do...try to concentrate on pushing the weight through your heels.   

These principle actually apply to all of the main compound lifts (point of emphasis varies obviously).  Use every muscle you have to help your lifts.

climbjtree
Terracotta Army

Reply #1416 on: June 08, 2015, 07:47:16 AM

Did the weight you were using in that video challenge you?  It didn't look like it, and it looked like it was 90kg or so, right?  It might be easier to figure out what your "issues" are if you are closing to a failure.  The lighter the weight, the more tempting it will be to catch it high...simply because you can.

Yep, it was 90kg and nope, not much to it. I was thinking it'd be a better demonstration of form since there was no struggle, but maybe you're right. On my next C&J day I'll try and get a video of something closer to 100%.
Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #1417 on: June 18, 2015, 02:32:47 PM

A few more updates/questions:

I've gone through 2 complete cycles of the A/B workouts.  I've added 60 pounds to the deadlift and squat (squat is at 100lbs, deadlift is at 110lbs - these are plates, not counting the bar weight since that's easier for me to think about).

I've noticed with the last workout that I'm feeling a lot of pressure inwards on my knees:  they want to come together as I push my rear up out of the bottom of the squat.  I have to concentrate very hard of forcing my knees outward as I push up to keep my thighs parallel with my feet.  At lighter weights this just seems to happen naturally.  I can still do the movements without changing form or tempo, so I'm not thinking that the weight is 'too much', but I thought I would check here first:  is this a sign that the weight is nearing my capacity to handle it properly?

Some reading I've done suggests that this is showing that my hip abductors are now likely the weak link in the chain, and that so long as I can maintain the form (even through I have to really think it through and force the form) it is ok.

Second, I find the low-bar position quite painful on my back.  The weight of the bar is now digging in sharply against the bones of my spine, to the point where I've been taking a full grip on the bar and pushing upwards slightly to relieve the pressure as I go through the motions.  The guy at our weight center said to use a bar pad until the back muscles grow enough to cushion the weight, but I thought I would ask here as well before doing anything differently.  The SS book doesn't have much detail, but I've read online that Rippetoe doesn't like cushions since they change the balance point back further on the feet.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1418 on: June 18, 2015, 02:38:53 PM

On the issue of the pad. It does move the center point slightly; but depending on the pad depth, it shouldn't make that big of a deal. I use to roll my sweat towel around the bar where it contacted my neck when I used to do high bar squats. Haven't had the need now that I went with a low bar position.

The knee thing is a common thing to happen when you start reaching you limits. That is when the mental part has to take over. Tip I was given is to pinch your ass cheeks together at the top and try and keep them clenched which will square the hips. Eventually your hip strength will catch up. I am sure the more serious lifters here will be more informative. 

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
climbjtree
Terracotta Army

Reply #1419 on: June 18, 2015, 04:04:36 PM

I don't think there's any problem with pads initially, but with time I think you'll either not need them or start to avoid them naturally. Play around with the positioning on your back and you'll find some bar positions are slightly more comfortable than others, but regardless of where you put the bar just keep the weight moving up and down over the center of your feet.

As far as the knees pushing inwards, it's necessary for you to remind yourself during the lift to keep putting that pressure outwards. Not just to avoid injury, but to ensure you're recruiting the proper muscles during the movement. When I was learning, the mental queue I used was to "spread" the floor apart with my feet as I stood up.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1420 on: June 18, 2015, 10:43:28 PM

"Spreading the floor" is a good cue, and that I will credit to picking up from climbjtree.  The other thing that helps me is to cue myself to contract every muscle I can in my entire body at the same time, which will help you in other ways.  Think you are already?  You aren't.  When I do a rep where I see my knees come in a little, I make sure on the next rep to tighten everything up, including pulling the bar down onto my shoulders like a motherfucker and even pushing my neck backwards into the bar.  Pushing through your heels is another good cue for this problem.  Most people have a natural tendency to push through their toes, and that means the weight will shift forward and your knees will have to handle more pressure.  I don't think this is a sign of you reaching your limit...rather, it may be a sign that there is still untapped potential if you can figure out how to tighten things up.  And yes, buckling your knees inward is not going to be good for your knees as the weights go up.

On the subject of pad on the bar.  I have heard this thing referred to as the tampon, and you can probably work out the reason for that.  My opinion is that the only way you will get used to not using it is to not use it ever.  And you might have to stop using it to progress at some point, because I have to believe that it will become a hindrance at some point, if it isn't already.  On the same token, while I think low bar squats are probably mechanically ideal, there's nothing wrong with high bar squats.  Most people cannot do low bar squats or even know what they are.  I cannot do them with any meaningful weight...my body seems to be shaped wrong for them, and my shoulders don't like being in that position.  Do whatever works best for you.

And one last thing.  Get into the habit of including the weight of the bar in your numbers.  Not only is this needed for you to keep possession of your Man Card, but realistically speaking it will become important at some point, especially if you are using more than one place to workout.  Not all bars are the same.  If I was doing starting strength, I need to know exactly what the bar weighs, because if I go to the gym and accidentally pick a bar that only weighs 35 pounds for some reason, then I am messing up the system.

Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #1421 on: June 22, 2015, 08:24:26 PM

One of the surgical nurses works out at the Y at the same time I do, little did I know they made a fan club and she would snap chat me on the elliptical going at it. Getting in shape is great especially when the gals from work keep asking me about it and complementing that I've lost a lot of weight.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1422 on: July 09, 2015, 09:18:40 PM

So no real place but the exercise thread for this, so here it goes.

I picked-up the "My Fitness Pal" app about 2 weeks ago and it's great. Don't know if anyone else has tried it, but it's what I've been looking for in a calorie counter. Lots of entries from a crowdsourced DB and really easy to enter them on my phone.  Also it links with Strava for my rides so I've got a good handle on how much extra I can eat and still lose - something I fail at on my own.

I'm already down about 12 pounds after 2 weeks. No way I'm getting those results as this goes on but it's a hell of a lot better and faster than I'd gotten without it. If you're needing to count calories or are really bad at keeping track of food on your own (as I am) you might want to give it a shot.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #1423 on: July 10, 2015, 04:31:28 AM

I think MyFitnessPal is the best of the free apps out there although the web interface for adding food could use a little improvement. The only thing it misses that I liked from another (sub based) calorie counter was an indication of how many portions of fruit and veg you ate - which was always a good indicator and reminder about diet quality.  But that's only a small thing.  Oh - and unless I'm missing something, it doesn't give an indication of calories burned from strength training which is a bit pants.

Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #1424 on: July 10, 2015, 06:47:51 AM

I've been using MyFitnessPal for 2 years straight now & it's been great. I'm brutally honest and it's good at keeping me in focus.  Lost 50lbs since I've been using it & tracking everything.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #1425 on: July 10, 2015, 06:50:19 AM

I've used it on and off during periods where I have tried to cut some weight; it's really great aye.

On another topic, I'm keen to get into running, specifically sprint conditioning. I'm not planning to run any 5ks or anything like that, just speed work down in the park, maybe up some stairs and hills at times. Does anyone have any general recommendations for running shoes? It's something I know literally nothing about, and it's really hard to gauge what's a good running shoe, and what's a bad running shoe, and what's just there for fashion.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #1426 on: July 10, 2015, 07:56:01 AM

Recommendations for specific brands? I swear by Brooks but a lot of runners I know like Mizuno or Asics for their road shoes. Honestly, when it comes down to it,  you need to find a pair that are comfortable and, if you're sprinting, I'd suggest light.  To know good brands, makes and models, have a look at the websites for "Sweatshop", "Up and Running" and "Run and Become".  The last is a really good specialist running shop and there's one in Victoria (you're in London iirc). All of them offer decent running shoes. Or you've got http://www.sportsshoes.com/ which is a pretty good online retailer and you can return anything you don't like. Avoid places like Sports Direct - you can get decent shoes there but you have to know what you're looking for and the staff are fucking clueless idiots.  I won't bore you with my rant about buying shoes for my 9yo a couple of weeks ago - luckily I knew what to look for and what he needed.

To narrow down the selection, start with trying on some of the lightweight shoes - something like the Brooks Pure Flow, Asics Fuji or Nike Zoom Fly. They're good shoes for sprinting but you might find them too light. If so, look at the road shoes like Mizuno Crusader or Brooks Ghost. They're generally road shoes but will be alright for running up grass hills (unless grass is really wet and slippy).

You should probably avoid "stability" or "motion-control" shoes because they're generally heavier and bulkier than neutral/lightweight shoes - that is unless you've got really flat feet (do a wet floor test if you're not sure).  Also, don't bother with gait analysis because it won't be that relevant to sprinting. Or shouldn't be if you're doing it right. (I don't think much of gait analysis in shops anyway - if you want it done, go to a biomechanics expert, not a spotty teen selling you shoes).
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 09:02:32 AM by DraconianOne »

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #1427 on: July 10, 2015, 08:13:46 AM

Thanks, that's really useful. I had a wander around some shops and you really hit on my main point of confusion, in that I can't tell if I'm overpaying for something from Nike or getting ripped off with some bad shoes from somewhere like Sports Direct.

I'll have a look at those links, but thanks for helping me with what I realise is a really open-ended question.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #1428 on: July 10, 2015, 09:06:37 AM

Yeah, it is open ended and it is confusing. Part of the reason I stick with Brooks is because I know what I like. I want to try Asics and Mizuno but there are so many variations of name and model that it all becomes a bit daunting. And the only reason I don't wear Adidas is because they size too small and they don't make them large enough for me.

Running shoes can be expensive though. I always tend to wait until a sale and managed to get 3 pairs of last years models for £120. (I also struck lucky with some exemplary customer service from Sweatshop. Just a shame they're a big chain and owned by Sports Direct.)

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1429 on: July 10, 2015, 10:15:05 AM

Running shoes can be expensive though. I always tend to wait until a sale and managed to get 3 pairs of last years models for £120. (I also struck lucky with some exemplary customer service from Sweatshop. Just a shame they're a big chain and owned by Sports Direct.)

This has been my secret.  Find a pair of running shoes that you love and buy 3-4 pairs when the new season comes out. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #1430 on: July 10, 2015, 01:42:41 PM

Brooks :) I love my Beast only because I tend to pronate or roll my ankles at times. I severely screwed up my right ankle in boot camp back in 1987, where I sprained it, and now it looks funny how I walk, run, or jog, but I have learned to deal with it. I look like the bionic nurse since I'll have ankle wraps and knee wraps on both legs. They help when the joints get sore (bought all 4 at Walmart for cheap and they are machine washable, just provide the right amount of support and compression). Slowly getting back into the jogging.

It is a lot of fun and I never realized how much I missed being in shape, well sorta shape, gone a long way, long way to go still.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #1431 on: July 16, 2015, 02:06:47 AM

I'm doing an ultra in a little over 6 weeks and I'm currently at the point in my training where I'm thinking "What the fuck am I doing and why the fuck am I doing it?"  swamp poop 

Send motivation. Or bacon.

Preferably both.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1432 on: July 16, 2015, 02:41:35 AM

That is what I do not understand basically about all long distance running.  I don't understand the point of it, beyond proving that you can do it.  Everything else is negatives.

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #1433 on: July 16, 2015, 05:19:27 AM

That is what I do not understand basically about weightlifting.  I don't understand the point of it, beyond proving that you can do it.  Everything else is negatives.

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #1434 on: July 16, 2015, 05:21:20 AM

Also, I had not expected the reverse psychology approach to motivation so thank you.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: So. P90X anyone? (Misery loves company)  
Jump to: