Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:02:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: [TF2] Scout Update 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [TF2] Scout Update  (Read 38918 times)
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #105 on: February 25, 2009, 02:36:52 PM

Does the bat have increased damage? If not, fuck this update. I want my beta bat back.
Xurtan
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: February 25, 2009, 02:52:37 PM

It's actually -50% damage vs non-stunned players.  awesome, for real

...And it's slower.
Yoru

Reply #107 on: February 25, 2009, 04:32:52 PM

Fuck this update.
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: February 25, 2009, 06:00:16 PM

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: February 25, 2009, 06:10:53 PM

It's actually -50% damage vs non-stunned players.

Removed this in today's hotfix, looks like.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #110 on: February 25, 2009, 07:42:51 PM

Fuck this update.

Gameplay changes

- Removed the damage reduction against non-stunned enemies on the new bat

Unfuck this update?
Xurtan
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: February 25, 2009, 08:08:15 PM

Meh, still not sure it's worth using. Losing double jump is a huge issue. So far, the ball seems to be really easy to dodge. (How much that will change once people start learning to aim is up for debate.) Still, at max range it seems to be a five sec stun or so. So far I've only seen it hit on huge targets from large range (Read: Heavy on 2fort battlements), in a large melee where it has to hit -something-, or as someone comes around a corner/chasing someone. Haven't seen it used on ubers yet.

It's too bad the knockback on the fan is so horrible; would have been nice to have been able to use it to pseudo-rocket jump.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 08:09:51 PM by Xurtan »
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: February 25, 2009, 11:38:49 PM

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: February 26, 2009, 06:00:18 AM

It's too bad the knockback on the fan is so horrible; would have been nice to have been able to use it to pseudo-rocket jump.

You can actually get a quite large amount of horizontal distance with it,but not a lot of height, so it does have some use for mobility, but it isn't quite a rocket jump.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #114 on: February 26, 2009, 08:32:41 AM

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Yoru

Reply #115 on: February 26, 2009, 10:18:38 AM

Fuck this update.

Gameplay changes

- Removed the damage reduction against non-stunned enemies on the new bat

Unfuck this update?

No, that's just the removal of retardation. It doesn't return the bat to the awesome beatstick it was before they nerfed it.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #116 on: February 26, 2009, 11:44:45 PM

Does the FAN do increased damage from behind?  I just one-shotted two snipers in a row by hitting them point-blank in the back with the thing.  I'm pretty sure you can't one-shot a sniper with a scattergun at any range.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: February 27, 2009, 10:09:05 AM

Each individual bullet does less damage, but there is more of them. I believe as long as everything hits it is a good chunk more damage.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #118 on: March 02, 2009, 04:58:31 PM

Two weapons unlocked so far. 

I really like the FAN, and futzing around with the Pop Fly achievement (kills while double-jumping) in conjunction with the FAN's kickback has opened up some interesting possibilities re: being really hard to hit and getting to interesting places.  The kickback is nothing like a normal rocketjump and takes a lot of getting used to before you can use it to actually get anywhere; what it does right off the bat, though, is keep you in the air twice as long when you're just bouncing around like a maniac.  This is sometimes a good thing and sometimes a bad thing.

Not sure about the Sandman.  Whacking the ball around is fun, but it rarely turns the tide of a battle, and I'm really loathe to give up my double-jump.  I'll keep it for as long as it takes me to get the bulk of the achievements that rely on it and see if my opinion changes during that time.

Side note: what goddamn genius decided to make the ball the primary fire of the Sandman instead of the secondary?  What if something's right in front of me and I just need to club it?

Additional edit: It's really funny how after playing L4D for a while I keep right-clicking in an attempt to bash people with my pistol.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 05:01:31 PM by Samwise »

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #119 on: March 06, 2009, 08:48:21 AM

Getting better with the Sandman.  Trick to using it effectively seems to be stun, rush in, double-shot with the FAN.  The stun will always last long enough for you to get up to point-blank range, so if your victim is alone, there is absolutely nothing stopping you from hitting them with every single pellet.  This is death for most classes.

Contrary to what I'd thought, it does not seem possible to hit the ball with the bat.  You get the "bean ball" achievement for picking up a fallen ball from another scout and beaning him with it, not batting it straight back at him.  (I got this last night by sheer accident.)

The soda is kinda fun for messing with people (HEY HEY HEY LOOK AT ME), but I have yet to do anything really useful with it.

Valmorian
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: March 06, 2009, 08:54:03 AM

The soda is kinda fun for messing with people (HEY HEY HEY LOOK AT ME), but I have yet to do anything really useful with it.

Hm, can you drink it while you have the briefcase?  Does it make sentry guns miss?  (that would be nice for zipping through 2forts chokepoints where there's usually sentries set up..)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #121 on: March 06, 2009, 09:32:05 AM

It does make sentries miss, but I don't think you can use it while carrying intel (it would be inconsistent with their usual rule of get-out-of-jail-free cards not working in combination with capturing objectives). 

The best use for it seems to be acting as a distraction for your teammates, i.e. getting all the defenders to abandon their posts chasing the invincible guy so your heavy hitters can surprise them from behind.  Really coordinated teams will use it to take out sentries by having the scout sit there soaking up bullets while the rest of the team rushes in to blow them up (they just have to do it before the scout's juice wears off).

One thing I do want to try is blowing up an engy with his own gun by running behind him in sight of it.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: March 07, 2009, 11:22:06 AM

Hm, can you drink it while you have the briefcase?  Does it make sentry guns miss?  (that would be nice for zipping through 2forts chokepoints where there's usually sentries set up..)

The best use for it is to Act as a cheap "uber" and stand directly in front of a sentry gun to block the bullets while a demo man comes in behind and destroys it. 

It isn't realy good solo, cause all it does is buy you a few seconds of invulnerability, and when it is over you get dramatically slowed for 3-5 seconds, meaning whoever you just saved yourself from is going to come and beat the crap out of you now that they can catch you easily.

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: March 08, 2009, 09:48:03 PM

It does make sentries miss, but I don't think you can use it while carrying intel (it would be inconsistent with their usual rule of get-out-of-jail-free cards not working in combination with capturing objectives). 

Pretty sure it does, or at least, you can drink it right before you get the intel.  Saw a couple scouts do that today, unless I'm mistaken.

Personally, I'm not liking this update.  The new bat is stupidly annoying in the hands of a decent player.  The other two aren't bad, but the FAN seems to be like a slightly cheesier version of the normal gun, and the Cola is pretty useless.  Ugh.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #124 on: March 08, 2009, 11:28:08 PM

I do think the scout might be a little overpowered now.  I was initially skeptical of the Sandman, but I'm so consistently raping face with it now that I'm starting to feel bad about it.  The FAN isn't quite as unbalancing, but the fact that I can't imagine ever switching back to the original scattergun at this point is a pretty good indicator that it could stand a little toning down.

Ironically, the one item I thought was going to be gamebreaking (the invuln soda) is the one that has turned out to be completely useless.  So that'll teach me to prognosticate.

Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: March 09, 2009, 10:53:50 AM

I still haven't picked up any of the unlocks, but having been on the receiving end quite a bit it feels like the Sandman is overpowered in 1 vs 1 matchups, but doesn't help much in larger conflicts. It does help some in breaking up overly defensive teams on ctf maps, but outside of that it is a minor annoyance. 1 vs 1 it is brutal, especially since the point blank range stun is plenty long enough for the scout to unload the FAN into my poor helpless medic body.

The FAN seems pretty awesome, but I'm not sure if it is overpowered. I think in the hands of a skilled scout it is a vicious weapon, but a lot of the scouts I've played against are pretty horrible with it. I've also found that in scout on scout battles the scatter gun is pretty damn good against FAN scouts.

The soda seems useful in very limited situations. It is sweet to have an uber in a can for distracting turrets for teammates, but that's about it. I'm curious to try it on goldrush. I think it could be handy for breaking behind enemy lines to molest snipers.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: March 09, 2009, 09:50:20 PM

I'm actually of the opinion that the Sandman isn't unbalanced (which is to say, I don't think it has a huge impact on the outcome of most matches, at least public matches, I left the competitive scene a while back and don't even know their general stance on unlockables anymore).  It is however, really farking stupid.  There is simply nothing more annoying than being stopped dead and just waiting to die.  Awful mechanic, has me playing the game less than before the update.
ClydeJr
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: March 11, 2009, 07:34:19 AM

Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: March 20, 2009, 10:33:07 PM

Jesus the FAN is fun. Being able to jump onto the roof of the bridge from ground level in 2fort is  DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS. Not to mention the awesome fucking jumps you can pull off on cp_well. I can'wait to try cp_egypt with this thing.
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #129 on: March 21, 2009, 01:36:22 PM

Jesus the FAN is fun. Being able to jump onto the roof of the bridge from ground level in 2fort is  DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS. Not to mention the awesome fucking jumps you can pull off on cp_well. I can'wait to try cp_egypt with this thing.

Not using the sandman are we?

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #130 on: March 21, 2009, 03:41:00 PM

I hate the new scout, anyone without perfect ping playing as a scout is so fucking annoying and like 20 times more people use them then before the update.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: March 21, 2009, 06:44:32 PM

Not yet, I have a stack of achievements to get first. I haven't even picked up Bonk! yet. I'm addicted to mobility, so I suspect I'll avoid the Sandman. We'll see; stuns do look like a lot of fun.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #132 on: March 30, 2009, 11:21:59 PM

WOOOOO

This screenshot taken in front of the BLU base.  The sniper drew his last breath on the RED battlements.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #133 on: March 31, 2009, 07:26:58 AM

I don't know how to feel about your non-achievement box antics.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #134 on: March 31, 2009, 09:45:21 AM

Are you saying you achievement-boxed Zombie Genocide?

Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #135 on: March 31, 2009, 09:57:57 AM

Are you saying you achievement-boxed Zombie Genocide?

Of course not, just like I didn't achievement-box getting a million pyro damage or healing for a million points.

But I did achievement-box "Out of the Park".   awesome, for real

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #136 on: March 31, 2009, 09:59:53 AM

I won't lie.  I considered it.  But the adrenaline rush of finally pulling it off on a live target was worth it.  The guy actually stepped out of the way while I was winding up, and then stepped back right as the swing came.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

This is after swatting maybe ten snipers into a wall because the angle was wrong, and having maybe three times where I had the shot lined up perfectly and one of their teammates shot me in the back before I could finish the swing.  All the stars had to be aligned perfectly.

(edit) oh ya, I got Foul Territory the day before that, which was also one that had stumped me for a while.  Stunned a medic on ctf_well as he was crossed the tracks with our intel, and SPLAT.  I was too excited to take a screenshot.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 10:03:44 AM by Samwise »

Valmorian
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: March 31, 2009, 10:59:10 AM

Personally I'm surprised that Steam games don't automatically screen shot every time you get an achievement.  It's not like they're THAT frequent after all.
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: March 31, 2009, 11:28:59 AM

I'm not sure a screen shot would be terribly exciting, but a video would be cool in some cases. I'd love a video of when I got Moonshot and Bean ball from the ball's perspective.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #139 on: April 01, 2009, 01:55:36 PM

A video of Out of the Park from the corpse's perspective would be  why so serious?.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: [TF2] Scout Update  
Jump to: