Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 06:04:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Terminator: Salvation 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Terminator: Salvation  (Read 60572 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #140 on: May 13, 2009, 06:43:26 AM

Win.  awesome, for real

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #141 on: May 13, 2009, 01:44:43 PM

Misogyny is when a Mommy and a Daddy and a Daddy and a Daddy and a Daddy and a Daddy and a Daddy all decide that Mommy needs special facial moisturizer.

Right?

No, that is called Lady's Night.

I have never played WoW.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #142 on: May 13, 2009, 10:51:36 PM

Misogyny is when a Mommy and a Daddy and a Daddy and a Daddy and a Daddy and a Daddy and a Daddy all decide that Mommy needs special facial moisturizer.

Right?

Please link the article when it is up.  why so serious?

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: May 16, 2009, 12:09:23 PM

I asked a script-reader friend of mine this question earlier and her response was that most hollywood films - including Alien, Aliens, T3, T2 and to a certain extent T1 - are misogynist because the female characters in them are more often than not men in a woman's body. They tend to act and think like males rather than females. (As it happens, she's writing an article for an online magazine on this very topic. Curious timing.)

Please link the article when its up.

The article is up at TwelvePoint here.  Unfortunately, you need a subscription to read it.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #144 on: May 20, 2009, 12:52:31 PM

For those who don't know, Terminator opens tomorrow rather than Friday, with midnight shows tonight.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #145 on: May 21, 2009, 12:14:51 AM

yawn.

Completely generic. Like, really. Basically the studio made a sheet of Generic-Action-Adventure-Summer-Flick, undercooked it, and then cut it into the shape of a terminator movie to capitalize on the franchise. It is cgi-dosed pablum. It does not even have the decency to bother being a bad movie. It is just a dose of noise and visuals.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: May 21, 2009, 02:34:28 AM

Heartbreak

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #147 on: May 21, 2009, 03:42:02 AM

Who would have expected Star Trek XI to be better than Terminator IV?
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: May 21, 2009, 04:17:15 AM

Cry

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
schild
Administrator

Reply #149 on: May 21, 2009, 04:50:33 AM

Who would have expected Star Trek XI to be better than Terminator IV?

Given the cast, I would hope everybody.

This is still gonna be awesome.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: May 21, 2009, 12:52:26 PM

Everything samprimary said.  Terminator 3 is a better movie.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #151 on: May 21, 2009, 02:25:29 PM

Ebert proves why he's still top dog:

"After scrutinizing the film, I offer you my summary of the story: Guy dies, finds himself resurrected, meets others, fights. That lasts for almost two hours."
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #152 on: May 21, 2009, 02:28:54 PM

Heartbreak

"Me am play gods"
schild
Administrator

Reply #153 on: May 21, 2009, 02:29:45 PM

Ebert proves why he's still top dog:

"After scrutinizing the film, I offer you my summary of the story: Guy dies, finds himself resurrected, meets others, fights. That lasts for almost two hours."
Sounds awesome.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: May 21, 2009, 03:28:56 PM

Somehow that story seems familiar...

if at last you do succeed, never try again
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #155 on: May 21, 2009, 05:41:39 PM

It is just a dose of noise and visuals.

In a film by McG? Say it ain't so!

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: May 21, 2009, 08:46:20 PM

Somehow that story seems familiar...

Yea and coincidentally I saw a preview for some movie that I swear was modeled after Half Life.

The movie was painfully generic. There were some cool moments, but otherwise they dumped you into the middle of a story they thought you already knew and cared about deeply, without bothering to tell it good anyway. This one didn't help Bale anymore than his temper did. The freakin' terminator was a better actor.

And wtf is it with single name people? I swear there were like four or five single-namers in the opening credits.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #157 on: May 22, 2009, 03:33:41 AM

Since you can't repeat names in SAG, they're probably running out of good, easily-recognizable dual-name combos that don't infer you're part of some legacy family.   Think of it as the rise of the Screen Name IRL.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: May 23, 2009, 01:33:47 AM

I guess I'm the only one here who didn't hate it? After T3, I went in with low expectations and had them exceeded. I've been a long fan of the franchise though, so them not retelling the story from the first 3 movies didn't bother me.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: May 23, 2009, 03:41:52 AM

Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: May 23, 2009, 04:25:01 PM

schild
Administrator

Reply #161 on: May 24, 2009, 04:09:01 PM

I liked this movie.

If we accept the Terminator universe as an Alice Universe, that is to say an Alice Universe with instead of 2 distinct routes through time, rather an infinite number - this whole thing fits perfectly in canon. That is, there's a defined universe, Jon Connor is born when Kyle gets sent back to knock up his mom to make sure that there's a leader of the resistance born and protected to make it through Judgement Day and every time the war ends one of the sides isn't happy with the outcome so they send someone back and the same series of events happens on another one of the paths - well, it's perfectly reasonable. It explains Terminator 3, it explains the TV show and it explains well, everything. It allows for anything to happen in the universe as long as:

1. John Connor is alive until Judgement Day.
2. Judgement Day happens.
3. John Connor rises as the leader of the resistance.
4. Time machines are built and one thing (human or machine) is sent back from each side.

There is an infinite number of things that can happen between 1 and 2, 2 and 3, 3 and 4 - but 4 always reconnects to 1. I's a closed circuit, but what happens between them has an infinite number of possibilities.

I liked this movie. Fuck the haters. Even McG couldn't fuck it up.

Also, John having a half-man/half-robots heart explains why he was willing to send back reprogrammed robots in 2 and the TV show. So not only does it explain one of the missing key elements, it explains a huge part of the canon that was missing. Shit was fucking great.

Elfman can choke on a tailpipe though. He sucks so, so hard.

Anyway, in closing: The 4 movies and the TV show can all be treated as different timelines (that do NOT run in parallel - only one timeline is happening at any given time) and it still doesn't fall out of canon.
schild
Administrator

Reply #162 on: May 24, 2009, 04:47:58 PM

1. John Connor is alive until Judgement Day.
2. Judgement Day happens.
3. John Connor rises as the leader of the resistance.
4. Time machines are built and one thing (human or machine) is sent back from each side.

OK. Had an argument with my roommate. And he makes it make more sense.

John Connor isn't important. The events are, but John himself isn't. As long as Kyle Reese makes it to a time machine, he's capable of always resetting the Alice Universe. Which is to say, the one rule of the universe is the Kyle Reese fucks some chick - any chick - that gives birth to John Connor. If Kyle Reese dies, the series falls apart.

Edit: Also, this implies that points 2 and 3 always happen so that John Connor is targeted by Skynet and Reese can always, somehow, make it back in time. And yes, I realize this all implies that Skynet is just generally dumb, even though the fourth movie has them targeting Kyle Reese - he still, theoretically, gets to the time machine.

Edit 2: So, in closing:

0. Some man, any man, named Kyle Reese fucks some woman, any woman, named Sarah Connor and John Connor pops out 9 months later.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 04:52:28 PM by schild »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #163 on: May 24, 2009, 04:57:10 PM

But without John would there be a Kyle in the Resistance to send back?
schild
Administrator

Reply #164 on: May 24, 2009, 05:03:35 PM

But without John would there be a Kyle in the Resistance to send back?
My theory, even the revised one, forces A John Connor to exist at all times and forces him to become important in the resistance. The TV show, when he jumped forward in time, did nothing but reinforce that idea - John appeared, in the resistance base, wearing Kyle's jacket, and would've explained it all, thus insuring his importance in the resistance. Which is to say, they would've jumped back and revised their strategy and the same events would've happened. But always, Kyle has to get sent back and John has to exist. It allows for infinite possibilities between each of the points.
schild
Administrator

Reply #165 on: May 24, 2009, 05:14:10 PM

The original writer (Gale Anne Hurd) is coming back for Terminator 5.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: May 24, 2009, 09:53:32 PM

Maybe if they also bring back Cameron and Fiedel we can have something resembling a good terminator movie.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 09:55:11 PM by ahoythematey »
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #167 on: May 24, 2009, 11:09:13 PM

Anyway, in closing: The 4 movies and the TV show can all be treated as different timelines (that do NOT run in parallel - only one timeline is happening at any given time) and it still doesn't fall out of canon.

So it doesn't sound like you liked the Salvation's story so much as you liked the fact that you can use it to fanwank some theory on how an unescessary sequel and a failed TV spin-off fit in with the first two movies.  Terminator and Terminator 2 are great movies.  Building a bunch of extra shit around them doesn't make them  better.  You don't need to turn it into a fucking franchise, you don't need alternate realities.  The first two movies said everything they needed to.  You're overthinking it.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #168 on: May 25, 2009, 01:25:21 AM

Opened to $43 million. Which is nice, but still $30m less than Trek opened with, $40m less than Wolverine, and $10m less than the Night at the Museum sequel it opened against.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: May 25, 2009, 05:23:40 AM

Opened to $43 million. Which is nice, but still $30m less than Trek opened with, $40m less than Wolverine, and $10m less than the Night at the Museum sequel it opened against.

It opened on nearly 600 screens fewer than Wolverine and Night at the Museum though. Plus neither Trek nor Wolverine had any significant competition that was released on the same weekend. Even though Terminatior: Salvation is not R-rated, I'm guessing that families going to the movies on this weekend in particular (you do make a thing of the whole weekend leading up to Memorial Day don't you?) are more likely to go and see a outwardly family friendly movie like Night at the Museum than a geek-fest like Terminator which most suburban mummies probably aren't going to enjoy.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #170 on: May 25, 2009, 06:28:02 AM

Before the weekend they were predicting Terminator would beat out Night at the Museum.
schild
Administrator

Reply #171 on: May 25, 2009, 07:49:39 AM

So it doesn't sound like you liked the Salvation's story so much as you liked the fact that you can use it to fanwank some theory on how an unescessary sequel and a failed TV spin-off fit in with the first two movies.  Terminator and Terminator 2 are great movies.  Building a bunch of extra shit around them doesn't make them  better.  You don't need to turn it into a fucking franchise, you don't need alternate realities.  The first two movies said everything they needed to.  You're overthinking it.
Uh, it is a fucking franchise already. As such, it makes sense to figure out how all of it works together. And this world can exist with a lot less rules than say, Star Wars.

Also, Salvation didn't have a story, it just had tenuous connections to the canon. All it did by the end was reaffirm the fact Kyle Reese didn't get killed before he needed to go back and fuck a Sarah Connor.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #172 on: May 25, 2009, 09:19:32 AM

Uh, it is a fucking franchise already. As such, it makes sense to figure out how all of it works together. And this world can exist with a lot less rules than say, Star Wars.

I'm not overly fond of all the Star Wars "expanded universe" stuff, but nothing in it requires anything like the tortured alternate-universe fanboy logic you posted the other day.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
schild
Administrator

Reply #173 on: May 25, 2009, 09:22:56 AM

I'm not overly fond of all the Star Wars "expanded universe" stuff, but nothing in it requires anything like the tortured alternate-universe fanboy logic you posted the other day.
4 Pretty simple rules so that the universe resets properly with an infinite number of possibilities between them doesn't really fall under the definition of tortured.

None of it really matters though since McG will break the entire loop by the end of his 3rd movie and the entire thing will just be killed outright.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #174 on: May 25, 2009, 10:14:42 AM

Uh, it is a fucking franchise already. As such, it makes sense to figure out how all of it works together.

Really?  So did you try to come up with theories on how Highlander and all its shit sequels and the often good, but contradictory TV series all fit together?  Bonus points if your theory includes the animated series and the recent direct to dvd/sci-fi channel movie.

Just because some people don't know when to quit doesn't mean you need to desperatly cobble together a way to make everythng work together.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Terminator: Salvation  
Jump to: