Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 06:32:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Terminator: Salvation 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Terminator: Salvation  (Read 60109 times)
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

on: December 10, 2008, 12:06:43 AM

Could have sworn we already had a thread for this but for the life of me I can't see it.

Anyway, new trailer is out for this film.  I like it. Very much doubt the film is going to be much good but I do like this trailer.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 04:33:34 AM

Cool

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 07:00:05 AM

Really?  It's called Salvation?  The first thing that comes to mind when I hear that title is this*.

*I like the Cranberries but that has to be one of the worst, most godawful videos ever made.

Over and out.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 07:36:16 AM

I'm hoping they are tying the movies into the TV show, because if that's the case, this could be quite good.

Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 04:23:14 PM

Unfortunately it looks like the usual bag of fairly mediocre action wankery. May be the trailer, but I'm not optimistic. :(

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 08:56:59 AM

It's got Christian Bale and that helps alot. It looks interesting and means next May will officially be Sci-Fi month for me.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 12:17:39 PM

link

Terminator Salvation doesn't hit theaters until June but producers have already decided to make a follow-up slated for release in 2011. Salvation director McG will be involved in this fifth picture in the machine freak franchise, with star Christian Bale contractually committed to play John Connor in up to three movies.
When Terminator rights were acquired last year by Halcyon bosses Derek Anderson and Victor Kubicek, they hoped to make a new trilogy of films to complement the original Arnold Schwarzenegger threesome.  According to Variety, fan buzz encouraged Anderson and Kubicek to pull the trigger even before they saw how Salvation did at the box office.
Speaking over the weekend at the Dubai International Film Festival, Kubicek said: "We feel the time is now to start shaping the next part of this."
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 12:36:48 PM

There's a Dubai International Film Festival?
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 01:58:29 AM

There's a Dubai International Film Festival?

??

Please tell me this is a "green" comment - my sarchasm early warning system is offline at the moment and I fear I may be about to stumble forward into one.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 07:11:15 AM

McG?

Yeah, it'll be great  Ohhhhh, I see.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 09:56:28 AM

Now, I hate McG as much as the next guy. But the stuff he's produced lately (mainly the show Chuck) has been really good. He may have learned how not to suck.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 01:31:59 PM

Now, I hate McG as much as the next guy. But the stuff he's produced lately (mainly the show Chuck) has been really good. He may have learned how not to suck.

Or else he's a better producer than director. Chuck and a couple of other TV shows he's been involved with have been good. Well, ok, Chuck and Supernatural. Still, that counts for something.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 03:24:25 PM

I'm hoping they are tying the movies into the TV show, because if that's the case, this could be quite good.

I'll bet they contradict everything in the TV show just to claim ownership over it. "HI!! I'm Kyle Reese and I'm an only child who most certainly never ever had a brother!"

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 10:24:36 PM

Latest trailer

Not the best use of NIN but lots of stuff that's intriguing

ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 11:30:56 PM

the movie that trailer is advertising actually looks good.  You better not fuck my world up, McG: T3 was disappointing enough (and I'm one of the wierdos that liked T3).
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: March 03, 2009, 12:35:04 AM

What gives me hope that there's at least going to be pace in the film is that very few scenes have been recycled for the trailers.

What concerns me is the slow-motion action scenes of which there appear be to be quite a few. Will it be one long music video?

Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: March 03, 2009, 03:28:14 AM

The trailer does look good.  As good as it looks though I just don't want more Terminator movies, I want it that they actually do stop the war before it starts, that something they do right now does actually stop Skynet.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 03, 2009, 04:49:51 AM

Why?

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: March 03, 2009, 05:45:25 AM

Yeah, explain.  I'm stranged out by that wish myself.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #19 on: March 03, 2009, 06:45:44 AM

Hm. If they actually start to explore the meanings of 'human', 'sentience' and what it is to be 'alive' this movie could turn out to be quite good indeed.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: March 03, 2009, 06:49:29 AM

Wow. That new trailer is awesome. Oh, and I can handle the whole thing being in slomo if it means no shaky cam.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #21 on: March 03, 2009, 07:23:05 AM

The trailer does look good.  As good as it looks though I just don't want more Terminator movies, I want it that they actually do stop the war before it starts, that something they do right now does actually stop Skynet.

I've always wanted them to explore the future world after everything went to shit. T1 and T2 were great, T3 should have jumped the timeline forward like this one is doing. That's one of the reasons I expected the TV show to suck, because I thought they'd mined out all the interesting present day bits. I was wrong about the TV show, but I'm glad this one looks so goddamn good because that means I can forget that T3 existed.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: March 03, 2009, 08:27:51 AM

Amen.

Though I occasionally sneak watches at Sword of Xanten for the Lokken.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: March 03, 2009, 06:21:34 PM

It just makes everything they go through seem so pointless if its all going to go to shit anyways.  I'd rather they forget all the time travelling and just concentrate on the future war than have these characters that you want to succeed but you know they can't.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: March 03, 2009, 08:44:58 PM

Hm. If they actually start to explore the meanings of 'human', 'sentience' and what it is to be 'alive' this movie could turn out to be quite good indeed.

?
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: March 03, 2009, 11:07:18 PM

It just makes everything they go through seem so pointless if its all going to go to shit anyways.  I'd rather they forget all the time travelling and just concentrate on the future war than have these characters that you want to succeed but you know they can't.

I'm not sure I see what the problem is? Is this a personal preference - do you tend not to like tragedies or tragic drama? Do you avoid films where the hero fails despite their best efforts (although general Hollywood fare seems to avoid that for the most part?)

Well aware that a whole "free-will" vs "determinism" argument is standing by in the wings, ready to pounce, do you not think it could be argued that the war was always inevitable from the first film onwards? If the war never happened then John Connor would never meet Kyle Reese or send him back in time to become his father - the war is required to take place for John Connor to exist in the first place.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #26 on: March 03, 2009, 11:54:07 PM

Well aware that a whole "free-will" vs "determinism" argument is standing by in the wings, ready to pounce, do you not think it could be argued that the war was always inevitable from the first film onwards? If the war never happened then John Connor would never meet Kyle Reese or send him back in time to become his father - the war is required to take place for John Connor to exist in the first place.

Think I've said it elsewhere - the ending needs to be John Connor defeating Skynet, only to realise he has to sent the Terminators back through time to kill his companion / father, terrorise his life, doom his mother to the wacko life she lived and ultimately birth Skynet (thanks to the parts of the T800 in T1). "No fate but what we make" is so delightfully double-edged I don't think the scriptwriters will be clever enough to use it.

Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: March 04, 2009, 12:22:22 AM

I'm not sure I see what the problem is? Is this a personal preference - do you tend not to like tragedies or tragic drama? Do you avoid films where the hero fails despite their best efforts (although general Hollywood fare seems to avoid that for the most part?)

I'm not anti-tragedy I like a good cry sometimes, or a good villain to win.  In a movie I think its easier to handle, I don't know how much longer I can keep watching the Terminator series if its going to be a weekly exercise in futility versus an apocalypse you can't avoid.  I could be wrong though I've only just got through the first series and started on the second one and maybe the positive aspect of fighting against the odds and the small victories on the way will redeem it over the ultimate loss.

But yeah I think that debate about time and free will etc may be what starts to sour the series for me if I think about it too long.  I'm really liking the series but I know soon I'm going to be asking questions like how will they even know if they change the future? Will they just have to wait till Judgment day and nothing explodes, or will Cameron and Reese disappear one episode and everyone will be like 'cool we did it'.  Time traveling gets pretty convoluted and silly pretty easily.

I can dig a movie (and this is going to be the first of three supposedly) set in an apocalyptic future, where there is a war versus robots.  I don't know that it necessarily needed to be in the Terminator franchise, and by doing so shit all over what the series is doing.  I guess I just gotta disconnect the two from each other.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: March 04, 2009, 12:26:26 AM

Why is everyone assuming the TV show can't show Judgment Day being stopped for good?  It doesn't have to follow the first two movies. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: March 04, 2009, 12:35:41 AM

The series does follow the first two movies, and can end with them defeating Skynet.  Its this new movie and the possibly two planned after it which says the robots still explode us all.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: March 04, 2009, 01:02:58 AM

You've obviously forgotten the lesson the new Star Trek movie honchos have taught us.  Quantum reality divergence, etc etc. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: March 04, 2009, 01:11:18 AM

"No fate but what we make" is so delightfully double-edged I don't think the scriptwriters will be clever enough to use it.

Harsh. The writers may well be clever enough to use that (depending on who they are). What you've got to hope is that the studio/producer has the balls to go through with it and doesn't demand a rewrite.

Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #32 on: March 04, 2009, 05:39:05 PM

?

What don't you get?

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #33 on: March 04, 2009, 05:42:06 PM

Why is everyone assuming the TV show can't show Judgment Day being stopped for good?  It doesn't have to follow the first two movies. 

Poppycock! It will be happened; it shall be going to be happening; it will be was an event that could will have been taken place in the future. Simple as that.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: March 05, 2009, 01:34:08 PM

"No fate but what we make" is so delightfully double-edged I don't think the scriptwriters will be clever enough to use it.

Harsh. The writers may well be clever enough to use that (depending on who they are). What you've got to hope is that the studio/producer has the balls to go through with it and doesn't demand a rewrite.

Actually I'd prefer the opposite. John Connor wins, comes to this realization and purposefully breaks the cycle even at the cost of his own existence.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Terminator: Salvation  
Jump to: