Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 09:43:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Terminator: Salvation 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Terminator: Salvation  (Read 60200 times)
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #175 on: May 25, 2009, 10:24:36 AM

4 Pretty simple rules so that the universe resets properly with an infinite number of possibilities between them doesn't really fall under the definition of tortured.

Ok.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: May 25, 2009, 01:40:57 PM

In the future, Edward Furlong is going to travel back in time and shoot whoever is responsible for them digging up the Terminator franchise after part 2.
schild
Administrator

Reply #177 on: May 25, 2009, 01:46:46 PM

In the future, Edward Furlong is going to travel back in time and shoot whoever is responsible for them digging up the Terminator franchise after part 2.
I just watched Terminator 2 last night, I don't think Furlong has the right to do that as he was, by far, the weakest link in that cast. In fact, he may very well be the worst John Connor Ever. Yes, even worse than 3, something I didn't think previously possible. I wanted to knock his prepubescent teeth out. Though, whatever, still the best movie in the series and one of/if not the best sci-fi movie ever.
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: May 25, 2009, 01:54:40 PM

Anyone care to explain the first Connor scene (the hole) to me?

gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: May 25, 2009, 02:27:50 PM

I would, but it involves complex math.
schild
Administrator

Reply #180 on: May 25, 2009, 02:30:25 PM

What needs explaining? I don't understand the question.
schild
Administrator

Reply #181 on: May 25, 2009, 02:34:04 PM

Really?  So did you try to come up with theories on how Highlander and all its shit sequels and the often good, but contradictory TV series all fit together?
I should! Except the story of Highlander isn't set on Certain Things Happening around All The Same Characters. It's a tournament (or, rather, was supposed to be on a macro level - and on a micro level it was just you know, hollywood drama), not a chain of events.
jayfyve
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: May 25, 2009, 03:54:52 PM

I just saw it on the weekend. I enjoyed the film. I didn't see any crazy story inconsistencies. I don't understand why people don't like it, or don't understand it. It had a good terminator vs bad terminator(s), john connor, skynet and even the original Ahhhnuld made an appearance, what more do you want from a Terminator movie?
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: May 25, 2009, 04:17:06 PM

Oh right, you asked that last page. The team that infiltrated the hole was broadcasting the information they were siphoning from the network. I distinctly recall some sort of "uplink established" like statement in the background. Incidentally, I think it was that and the other ongoing connections that let Skynet track the sub.

The atomic bomb was I think Skynet mopping up after the robots were all killed by the force. Or doing the last ditch thing of just bombing it all from orbit. Not like it has any remorse for its minions. More the traditional colony bee/worker-bee setup.

How Connor survived that blast, how he survived getting thrown against a few dozen walls, and how the helicopter fleeing at the end didn't get downed at least by the EM portion of the blast if not for the blast itself, well, that's for the people who liked this movie enough to debate it smiley
schild
Administrator

Reply #184 on: May 25, 2009, 04:33:35 PM

I know how he survived everything.

IT'S A MOVIE.
jayfyve
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: May 25, 2009, 04:44:21 PM

The atomic bomb was I think Skynet mopping up after the robots

I totally missed the atomic bomb . Are mushroom clouds atomic only? I was kind of assuming that it was a large explosion, but not a city leveling thing, like the power cell Ahhhhnullld pulled out of his manly bosom and tossed behind the truck in T3.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: May 25, 2009, 04:49:14 PM

Mostly they're associated with nuclear explosions, but really any huge bomb will do it I guess. And with that goes my assumption that Connor miraculously survived a nuclear bomb wink

IT'S A MOVIE.

How were you arguing this movie fit into the IP again?  awesome, for real
schild
Administrator

Reply #187 on: May 25, 2009, 04:51:12 PM

The atomic bomb was I think Skynet mopping up after the robots

I totally missed the atomic bomb . Are mushroom clouds atomic only? I was kind of assuming that it was a large explosion, but not a city leveling thing, like the power cell Ahhhhnullld pulled out of his manly bosom and tossed behind the truck in T3.
Mushroom doesn't mean atomic. The fuel cell was hydrogen based.

Mostly they're associated with nuclear explosions

Yes, but that doesn't mean anything.

They are most commonly associated with nuclear explosions, but any sufficiently large blast will produce the same sort of effect. They can be caused by powerful conventional weapons like the Father of All Bombs. Volcano eruptions and impact events can produce natural mushroom clouds.

Mushroom clouds form as a result of the sudden formation of a large mass of hot, low-density gases near the ground creating a Rayleigh–Taylor instability. The mass of gas rises rapidly, resulting in turbulent vortices curling downward around its edges and drawing up a column of additional smoke and debris in the center to form its "stem". The mass of gas eventually reaches an altitude where it is no longer of lower density than the surrounding air and disperses, the debris drawn upward from the ground scattering and drifting back down (see fallout).
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: May 25, 2009, 04:52:47 PM

The fusion cell he pulled out of his chest that went critical? Pretty sure that was supposed to be a nuclear explosion. Mushroom clouds are produced by non-nuclear explosions also but in this context its a safe assumption it implies a nuclear explosion.
schild
Administrator

Reply #189 on: May 25, 2009, 04:55:19 PM

The fusion cell he pulled out of his chest that went critical? Pretty sure that was supposed to be a nuclear explosion. Mushroom clouds are produced by non-nuclear explosions also but in this context its a safe assumption it implies a nuclear explosion.
I'm actually watching it right now. It was hydrogen and he wasn't worried about fallout.
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: May 25, 2009, 05:03:17 PM

My mistake, i still think its a pretty safe bet that when they use a mushroom cloud its a pretty blatant implication that its a nuclear explosion of some type.
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: May 25, 2009, 06:30:58 PM

Is he the last one to get out of the hole or the first one?

If he's the last one and everybody else die.  How come the submarine HQ get the secret code/frequency before him?

Or the code doesn't even come from the hole?
Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: May 25, 2009, 08:16:01 PM

Because all the data was being sent on to command as they accessed it.  They weren't there to physically take the data and go, just to enable the Resistance to gain access to it. 
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: May 26, 2009, 12:54:34 AM

KU KU KU KACHUNG! KU KU KU KACHUNG!

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #194 on: May 26, 2009, 02:04:42 AM

I agree with you here.  I don't think a hydrogen explosion would cause the kind of blast we saw in T3, unless there was a mega-asston of hydrogen jammed into that thing.

I know he said it was a fuel cell, but I think the writers had their science wrong and were thinking cold fusion or something.  Also the terminator from T2 said he could run for 100 years or so on his power source, and I don't see a fuel cell doing that.  Even if it is from the future, you would have to jam an insane amount of hydrogen into that little cell to run a terminator for 100 years without re-fueling.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: May 26, 2009, 06:08:32 AM

What's wrong with invented tech? wink

Mostly they're associated with nuclear explosions

Yes, but that doesn't mean anything.
I know, which is why my sentence didn't end there (because I read the same article from wikipedia you posted smiley ).
schild
Administrator

Reply #196 on: May 26, 2009, 08:37:04 AM

Also the terminator from T2 said he could run for 100 years or so on his power source, and I don't see a fuel cell doing that.  Even if it is from the future, you would have to jam an insane amount of hydrogen into that little cell to run a terminator for 100 years without re-fueling.

Once again.

Movie.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: May 26, 2009, 01:56:42 PM

I know how he survived everything.

IT'S A MOVIE.
Actually, I always put it down to Skynet being stupid.  REALLY REALLY STUPID.  I mean, come on, Skynet Monologues about finally killing John, meanhile it sends ONE single Arnold terminator after Connor while he is in Skynet Central?  That room should have been packed wall to wall with the things. Not to mention that It could have killed Reese 20 times over and replaced him with a Terminator lookalike to act as bait but somehow didnt

Mainly, I have to put it down to my own theory that John Connor (and by extention Kyle Reese) actually CAN NOT DIE until after they have accomplished what they have already done.

Connor is stuck in a fixed time causuality loop.  It is literally impossible for Skynet to kill Connor any time before he sends Reese back in time to be his own father.  Same with Reese.  Reese is essentially immortal because he Has to go back in time to Father Connor and then die, because he ALREADY DID IT.

Kind of shits all over the "there is no destiny but what you make" speach that Connor gives at the end of the movie, but that's what you get for building your entire premise around a paradox.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 01:59:49 PM by SurfD »

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #198 on: May 26, 2009, 02:05:26 PM

Why are people trying to make sense of a movie that has always revolved around time traveling?

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: May 26, 2009, 07:31:20 PM

Because the first two movies made sense, and for almost two decades every nerd worth their salt has awaited a terminator movie that takes place during the future war. It sucking is almost too much for a man to bear, so we resort to theoretical physics in an attempt to justify it not sucking.
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #200 on: May 26, 2009, 08:12:19 PM

Just saw it, it's pure shit.  The writing was so bad I had to look up the writers, Terminator: Salvation is written by the team that did Catwoman.

Oh and they're doing the Surrogate movie next, so that is a must miss.

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: May 27, 2009, 01:12:58 AM

My biggest problem with the movie as a whole was simple:

It didn't explain anything, add anything or otherwise advance the overall terminator franchise storyline in ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM.

Absolutely NOTHING of any signifigance actually happened during the movie.  And that, i think, is the biggest problem as a whole.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #202 on: May 27, 2009, 02:58:19 AM

It was a good flick, not a great one.  And Christian Bale needs to stop making fucking movies for a while.  Jesus, I'm sick at looking at his pinched, weasel face.
schild
Administrator

Reply #203 on: May 27, 2009, 10:31:23 AM

It didn't explain anything, add anything or otherwise advance the overall terminator franchise storyline in ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM.

Absolutely NOTHING of any signifigance actually happened during the movie.  And that, i think, is the biggest problem as a whole.
John getting terminator parts and trusting that dude (as poorly as it played out) explains a whole lot.

I'm not defending the movie on any sort of script/dialogue or acting merits, but the actual events explain why he's ok with sending back reprogrammed T-800s, Cameron, etc.

Also, we were all totally spoiled by the vastly superior tv show.
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #204 on: May 27, 2009, 01:22:19 PM

Because the first two movies made sense

No, they did not.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
schild
Administrator

Reply #205 on: May 27, 2009, 01:48:47 PM

It's true, they didn't. If you watch them back to back it's an insane mess.

The second movie, on its own, is probably one of the best sci-fi movies ever made though. Which is part of the reason people HATED 3 and have major disdain for 4. Because they just weren't as good as 2. Even though, compared to the WORLD OF SCI-FI, they're still better than 90% of the bullshit out there.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #206 on: May 27, 2009, 02:01:07 PM

John getting terminator parts and trusting that dude (as poorly as it played out) explains a whole lot.

I'm not defending the movie on any sort of script/dialogue or acting merits, but the actual events explain why he's ok with sending back reprogrammed T-800s, Cameron, etc.

Also, we were all totally spoiled by the vastly superior tv show.
John trusted the guy because he knew he had origionally been human, and finally accepted that the machines couldn't take that from him.  Also, he didnt get terminator parts, the heart was a human heart (it just happened to be in a heavily modified terminator).

Not sure how or why that would affect them sending the T-800 back in time, because from what i understand, T-800 were still fully robot, rather then Cyborg half human / half machine mixes.

schild
Administrator

Reply #207 on: May 27, 2009, 02:05:44 PM

The point is that it opens his mind up to the POSSIBILITY of things not being what they seem. We know why young John Connor always trusts machines that say they're there to help him (because he keeps getting them sent to him from his future self). But there had to be a reason for John to send them back. A half-human/half-machine thing is a pretty good gateway drug.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #208 on: May 28, 2009, 12:00:22 AM

This movie was a horrible desecration of the originals, full of gross stupidities that only a fanboy would try to handwave away with a combination of "But it's just a movie!" excuses and torturous geek overanalysis. You're a horrible twat for liking it.

Not really. I haven't even seen it. I just wanted to be the one saying that for once.  awesome, for real

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #209 on: May 28, 2009, 01:00:05 AM

But there had to be a reason for John to send them back.

If you've got faith in your ability to reprogram the things, it's certainly a lot more effective to send a Terminator back in time for protection than it is to send a human with no weapons.  I'm not sure how that makes less sense than the idea that getting a heart transplant from a guy who unwillingly had his brain and heart put inside a robot body led to an ability to trust reprogramed Terminators.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Terminator: Salvation  
Jump to: