Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 02:38:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: The Shaving Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Shaving Thread  (Read 85333 times)
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #140 on: December 10, 2008, 10:38:53 AM

My DE is showing up today as well.  The past thee dyas I've been doing the whole routine with a Mach 3.  I've switched to shaving at night because of the time factor but the shave is close enough to last me through the next day.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: December 10, 2008, 11:36:12 AM

This whole thread has me convinced that I need to join a ZZ Top cover band (no, not the drummer!).  I really hate shaving.  Electric rubs my face off before I get smooth.  Blade gets dull halfway through the shave.  Maybe a good single blade is the answer.  Blades are cheap enough that I can use both sides per shave without going broke. 

Good call Oban.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: December 10, 2008, 11:54:20 AM

Okay, got my stuff, broke out my razor and went to town.  Unfortunately, the 100 pack of DE razors is coming in a seperate order so I had to use some of the blades included with the razor, and they were less than smooth.  I'd compare the shave to a cheap disposable Bic.  Hopefully the blades I ordered seperately are better quality.

On the upside, I didn't even nick myself.  These things aren't as dangerous as some of the "how to use a safety razor" guides suggested they were.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #143 on: December 10, 2008, 02:42:53 PM

I shave w/ some bullshit no name Gillette throwaway once a week.  I try to do it after a shower & I still take the time to soak my face via a washcloth with borderline scalding water.  I have a Braun that was cool until it got broke during a move that I use to get my cheeks on a daily basis but I don't like to use that on my neck, that's what I use the blade for.  I've only ever cut myself shaving on my adam's apple.  Fucking thing screws up my angles.  I use an Aveeno shave gel prior to using the blade.  I use a Norelco trimmer on the goat which I leave at a short length from my bottom lip to about an inch under my chin.  Most of my choices are made out of laziness in the mornings.

Current setup problems:
-The only place I have bad skin breakouts constantly is along the area where the chin ends and the neck starts if your stretching your neck up.  Fucking terribly annoying.
-I should really replace that Braun.  It still gets the job done but its scary because its a little broken.
-I never have a sense of when to toss and replace the disposables since I use them so rarely.

re: balls.
I've never shaved by balls, I do use an electric to trim back around the shaft for obvious fellatio encouragement.

One more thing!  I am a hairy guy, though I'm loathe to admit it.  I'd love to clean up the bullshit that goes on above my chest.  Any suggestions?  I should really go get some gays to handle that shit with lasers but I'm worried about the costs, feeling foolish and I worry that once I start removing body hair it'll be hard to stop.  I can get OCD in a hurry.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #144 on: December 10, 2008, 03:21:01 PM

I find when shaving areas like that, you need to pick a stop point and Stick To It. I pick the point where the hair inverts grain, about a third of the way down my sternum. Probably different for everyone. I mostly do it to avoid looking skanky and such when I don't button the top-most button on my shirts.

And on the4 shaving camp thing....Never got against the grain....never? The underside of myjaw has the hair pointing down...couldn't imagine being able to actually get the stuff without getting under the whiskers.

Shaving sucks. I wish I could be a manly man and either shave every morning or go bearded...but my beard sucks, and I have trouble enough as it is getting into work on time.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: December 10, 2008, 08:38:34 PM

This whole thread has me convinced that I need to join a ZZ Top cover band (no, not the drummer!).  I really hate shaving.  Electric rubs my face off before I get smooth.  Blade gets dull halfway through the shave.  Maybe a good single blade is the answer.  Blades are cheap enough that I can use both sides per shave without going broke. 
Grab Sky and you're there.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: December 12, 2008, 09:49:36 PM

Just finished my first DE shave with my newly arrived Parker 91R.  I was pretty tentative and only did 2 passes, one with and one across the grain, as I'm not comfortable with my technique yet to go for 3 or 4.  I didn't slit my throat, not too bad on the irritation, and it's a pretty good shave. I'm going to keep at it to see if it helps with my ingrowns.

Pic of my razor:

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: December 13, 2008, 05:16:51 AM

I'll just add for people doing the safety razor shaving, getting an alum block really is worth it. That thing is magic, antiseptic and stops any little nicks and cuts from bleeding pretty quickly, no more having bits of toilet paper adorning your face!

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #148 on: December 20, 2008, 02:11:12 PM

So, I've been searching high and low trying to find proper supplies, like the ones mentioned above. While I found a total of two shops stocking blades for safety razors, few people knew what the fuck I was talking about when asked about the razors themselves, and no one knew exactly where to find one. I was directed to a number of different pharmacies, barber shops and clothing stores (!) around town, but each one led only to a dead end.

At one barber shop, though, I did find an actual Pure Badger brush. This one, specifically - although mine has an octagonal base and brass-colored bristle band. I gladly purchased it and found a passable shaving bowl at the local supermarket for a pittance.

Once home, I checked the internet using some newly-gained vocabulary and found a small, ultra-high-end barbershop way out on the far side of town - far outside of walking distance - that stocks proper DE razors and the higher-end brushes. I intend to trek over there sometime next week to pick up an entry-level razor.

Previously, I've been making lather out of my facial cleanser by just whipping it in my hands. It worked, after a fashion, and was still better than the canned Gillette shit. Tonight, though, I used it to make my lather with a brush.  Carefully, using the instructions on BadgerAndBlade.com's wiki. It lathered up pretty well, but I expect real soap would be far superior.

Still, what I got and applied to my face was far and away better than any lather I could've made with hands alone. I was just shaving with my old Sensor Excel cartridge razor, but the difference was noticeable at the first stroke. This first brush-driven shave is far cleaner and less irritating than normal, no doubt thanks to the superior lubrication provided by the brush's lather. I expect that a proper soap and proper DE razor will help even more.

My advice to pretty much any dude, at this point, is to pick up a decent brush even if you're going to shave with a cartridge razor. Whipping the lather doesn't take a huge amount of extra time and the quality of the shave makes the modest investment worthwhile immediately.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: December 20, 2008, 04:15:17 PM

Amazon and classicshaving.com are good places to buy razors.  westcoastshaving.com is a good place to get accessories and blades.  Not sure about their international shipping though.

EDIT: Was looking there for something else and checked. http://www.westcoastshaving.com/ will ship internationally and they have both razors, blades and accessories (aftershave, creams, etc.). I've ordered from them and was very happy with the service/product.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 05:38:42 PM by Abagadro »

-H.L. Mencken
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: January 24, 2009, 10:08:50 PM

So I've gone kind of mental with this whole thing. I have about 40 razors at this point and have spent an ungodly amount of money. I am getting great shaves but my inveterate collecting psychosis (which I managed to ditch 12 years ago when I stopped buying baseball cards) has kicked in with a fucking vengeance.  I just love these things. They are works of art and history.

-H.L. Mencken
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #151 on: January 24, 2009, 10:30:00 PM

I tried shaving with a razor recently and remembered why I went to trimmers. And why I was so fucking depressed in middle school.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? Just not a good look for me to be completely shaven.
ShenMolo
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: January 25, 2009, 06:48:39 AM

For those who use disposable razors (myself included, Mach 3), I heard something on Clark Howard's consumer advice radio show that has saved me considerable money on replacement blades.

Apparently, razors become dull not from cutting hair, but from oxidation when water is left on the blade after use. By drying the blade well after each use, or rinsing it with rubbing alcohol, a disposable blade can me kept sharp for months.

I started doing this about 8 months ago, and have only used two Mach 3 blades in that time (I shave every weekday). The first one I stopped using not because it was dull, but because after about 6 months I wanted to see what a new blade felt like again to compare the difference.

At this rate I spend @$5 a year on the expensive Mach 3 blades.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: January 25, 2009, 01:48:03 PM

So I've gone kind of mental with this whole thing. I have about 40 razors at this point and have spent an ungodly amount of money. I am getting great shaves but my inveterate collecting psychosis (which I managed to ditch 12 years ago when I stopped buying baseball cards) has kicked in with a fucking vengeance.  I just love these things. They are works of art and history.

Wait, aren't you the fluoride water guy?

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: January 25, 2009, 02:06:28 PM

Wait, aren't you the fluoride water guy?

Wut?

-H.L. Mencken
Yoru

Reply #155 on: January 27, 2009, 04:51:22 AM

I tried a different barbershop today; there's a really ancient one next to my apartment, but it's only open during very specific hours. I managed to drop in before work and, holy of holies, they had not only DE safety razors, but also offered strops, the full range of shaving brushes, aftershaves and straight razors. It was like stepping into the Fifties.

I scurried away with both a great cut and a shiny new DE safety razor in a beautiful golden-brass color for less than it would cost me to buy another pack of cartridges. (A 5-pack of Mach3 or Sensor Excel blades up here? ~$40)
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: February 04, 2009, 10:35:05 PM

My latest acquisition:

-H.L. Mencken
Yoru

Reply #157 on: February 05, 2009, 04:21:18 AM

I spy a Truefitt & Hill box behind your razor. Just picked up some of their almond shave cream this morning, going to give it a whirl tonight.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Also, nice, going full-retard on the proper shaving, eh? The amount of extra maintenance on a straight-edge razor turns me off from the idea of owning one.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: February 05, 2009, 10:44:37 AM

I'm not ready to jump quite yet.  I just find these things when I'm out looking for vintage safety razors and can't help buying them because they are so beautiful.

-H.L. Mencken
Yoru

Reply #159 on: February 05, 2009, 11:41:23 AM

I tried the T&F almond cream just now. The combined experience of brush + real cream + DE razor is far and away worth the time and money investment so far. The proper cream just blows away using regular facial cleanser as a lathering agent.

And my bathroom smells like a wonderful combination of badger and almonds, instead of the usual sulfurous stench that lingers in the hot water here. smiley

Also, how are you finding the 1805? I'm using Trafalgar right now, haven't had a chance to sample the 1805 or Grafton ones yet. The Lime scent I tested was okay, but a little too fruity.
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: February 05, 2009, 11:45:28 AM

Real men use sandalwood.

Also, Abagadro, you really shouldn't be using the razor to shave your carpet.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
DeathInABottle
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: February 05, 2009, 12:56:32 PM

My latest acquisition:

That's beautiful.  Did you buy it new or used?  Regardless, if you ever plan on trying it out, make sure to get it professionally sharpened first - Classic Shaving has a deal that's completely worth taking advantage of.

My own latest acquisition:

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: February 05, 2009, 06:30:13 PM

I haven't tried the 1805 yet. I just got it a few days ago and I've been experimenting with a superlather made from Taylor of Old Bond Street Avocado and Mitchell Wool Fat Soap. Glad you are enjoying the process. I'm totally hooked.

As to this straight, I bought it used at an antique store I was trolling around in looking for safety razors. 18 bucks.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?  From what I've been able to find out it is pretty old, probably 1880-1900, but it is in great shape, zero hone wear, almost as if it had hardly been used. If I decide to use it I will send it to a honemeister first.  I just love the look of them so I've bought several. I'm such a degenerate collector and have fallen so in love with this stuff that I'm actually contemplating trying to buy this lot:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=230322606598

PS: Those are really nice looking strops.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 06:43:03 PM by Abagadro »

-H.L. Mencken
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: February 09, 2009, 10:13:04 PM

So I tried the 1805 the last couple of days. Definitely it's own thing and is an acquired scent. Lather is luxurious, but the 1805 has a sort of herbal scent. Very British. I like it and my wife loved it, but I could see how someone wouldn't groove it as it is quite a bit different than the sandalwood or florals most creams have as their base.

-H.L. Mencken
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: February 10, 2009, 01:58:39 AM

Penhaligon's Endymion shaving cream is very nice, not really sure how to describe the scent as I've been using Lime shaving soap for the last couple of days and can only remember that I really liked the Endymion now.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #165 on: February 10, 2009, 04:10:50 PM

Wow, totally forgot about this thread...some very beautiful instruments, but I don't think I'd be very good at this straight-blade shaving thing. Hell, I have enough trouble getting into work on time as it is, and I only trim down my terrible beard one night a week.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Yoru

Reply #166 on: February 10, 2009, 04:15:13 PM

So I tried the 1805 the last couple of days. Definitely it's own thing and is an acquired scent. Lather is luxurious, but the 1805 has a sort of herbal scent. Very British. I like it and my wife loved it, but I could see how someone wouldn't groove it as it is quite a bit different than the sandalwood or florals most creams have as their base.

I'll probably try that or another one of the T&H scents when my almond stuff runs out. Gonna have to negotiate with the barbershop to see if he'll import any Taylor creams, though. I'm definitely going to beg him to import some sandalwood at some point, although the marine-y Trafalgar has been popular despite clashing with the cold weather.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: February 10, 2009, 08:30:15 PM

Just in case no one else knows about this, I've been using the sample pack from Geo F Thumper, it has some good stuff in it if anyone wants to try some shaving creams/cologne/skin food for cheap with a buncha different scents:

http://www.trumpers.com/product_detail.cfm?ProductID=111547656

They ship it from the UK, and I think it costs me a total of $12. I've been using it for a month or so now, though I don't shave much. Each cream sample could probably be used 3-4 times.

- Viin
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: February 10, 2009, 09:39:10 PM

I'll probably try that or another one of the T&H scents when my almond stuff runs out. Gonna have to negotiate with the barbershop to see if he'll import any Taylor creams, though. I'm definitely going to beg him to import some sandalwood at some point, although the marine-y Trafalgar has been popular despite clashing with the cold weather.

I'd be willing to send you a sample of the 1805 so you don't go through the hassle and spend a bunch and not like it. I could include some Taylor's as well (Sandalwood, Avocado, Lime, & Eton College).

-H.L. Mencken
Yoru

Reply #169 on: February 11, 2009, 04:28:36 AM

I'd be willing to send you a sample of the 1805 so you don't go through the hassle and spend a bunch and not like it. I could include some Taylor's as well (Sandalwood, Avocado, Lime, & Eton College).

My barber's got most of the Truefitt line, so let me work through that first, but thanks for the offer. I may be hitting you up in a few months.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: July 20, 2009, 09:19:59 AM

RISE! RISEEEEE!!!!!! <necro>

So it's been about a year since this thread started .. how is everyone doing with their new shaving utensils?

Several months ago I picked up a straight razor kit from nashvilleknifeshop.com and have been using it ever since. It comes with a basic badger brush and stand, a basic Dovo straight razor (plastic handle, pre-sharpened), a basic strop, and some Col Conk's shave soap.

I've only shave my neck, so it wasn't very hard for me to get it down to a quick system - I can usually shave, two passes, in about 10 minutes. Only got some nicks the first and second times, haven't seen any since.

I really like the solid shave soap, as it lathers very nicely. I tried the sample pack from Geo F Trumper which comes with liquid shave cream, but I think I used it too sparingly (trying to stretch it out) and it didn't lather very well. However, I really like their cologne and skin food, and continue to use the samples I got of those - they last a long time.

So how is everyone else doing? Any accessories you've found that you really like? Any tricks?

- Viin
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #171 on: July 20, 2009, 10:02:17 AM

Braun 760, replaced Ye Olde Mach 3.  Best shave I ever had, plus I can do it anywhere.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: July 20, 2009, 10:16:55 AM

Braun 760, replaced Ye Olde Mach 3.  Best shave I ever had, plus I can do it anywhere.

Well, I am not as adventurous as Yegolev and have yet to shave my balls, but no complaints as of yet.

Added bonus, I do love how I am able to get through airport security with a package of razor blades but not a frappuccino.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: July 20, 2009, 10:21:26 AM

That's quite a pricey little electric shaver there. It really does a better shave than a Mach 3?

- Viin
Yoru

Reply #174 on: July 20, 2009, 12:56:27 PM

Still using my nice gold-colored DE razor, although I recently switched from Gillette to Merkur blades; the former were sold out everywhere I looked. Turns out the Merkur blades give me a much nicer shave at half the price, so I'll probably make the switch permanent... at least until another supply shortage occurs.

The shave cream is lasting way longer than I expected; I've used less than a quarter of the tub of T&H almond shave goo in the last four months or so. Probably has something to do with the fact that I shave maybe twice a week.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: The Shaving Thread  
Jump to: