Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:36:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: The Shaving Thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Shaving Thread  (Read 84562 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #70 on: December 07, 2008, 03:55:11 PM

I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced diet and rigorous exercise routine. In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now. After I remove the ice pack I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower I use a water activated gel cleanser, then a honey almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub. Then I apply an herb-mint facial mask which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an after shave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: December 07, 2008, 04:00:22 PM

I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced diet and rigorous exercise routine. In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now. After I remove the ice pack I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower I use a water activated gel cleanser, then a honey almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub. Then I apply an herb-mint facial mask which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an after shave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion.

And then you slip on your sun dress with a sassy pair of pumps and sashay your pretty little self to work.
hal
Terracotta Army

Damn kids, get off my lawn!

Reply #72 on: December 07, 2008, 04:00:35 PM

Do not put Nair on your balls. Use bikini bare on that part of the body. I have had a vasectomy. Been there done that . Do not use Nair. you will casterate yourself. The spell checker is on fire again.

I started with nothing, and I still have most of it

I'm not a complete idiot... Some parts are still on backorder.
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: December 07, 2008, 04:05:21 PM

Great movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hloiO0Kli20

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #74 on: December 07, 2008, 04:25:03 PM

I have a horrible ingrown hair problem on my neck because of curly whiskers. This thread has inspired me to try wet shaving. Did it for the first time today with just my Mach 3 and it worked really well. Did 4 passes on my upper face and 3 on my neck and it is easily the best self-shave I've ever had.  The YouTube tutorial linked in the first post of that SA thread is really helpful.

I'll let you know how it goes with my DE when it gets here later this week.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: December 07, 2008, 04:41:09 PM

I use a Braun electric. One of those self cleaners. Works awesome. Every time I've stopped using a Braun product, I've regretted it.
I used one of those for ten years. As long as you change the foil (The cutting surface) about every 18 months, and the little gizmo under the foil about every three years, it works great.

I just got a new one last Christmas (a newer model -- since mine was getting creaky) and I love it. It cleans itself, it gives a decent shave (your skin needs to be dry, which is a change -- don't shave right out of the shower), if you use the electric shave skin stuff it's even better, but I rarely bother.

I'm pale skinned with dark black hair, so I always look a bit unshaven, but the Braun electric has given me just as good a shave as any disposable razor, no matter how many blades.

About the ONLY drawback is for like the first three weeks you use it, it shaves like shit. It said something in the manual about "letting your hair adjust" and fuck if I know what that means, but after using it for a few weeks, it stops being "patchy and not short enough" to "smooth skin".

Oh, and no nicks, no blood, and it takes about 60 seconds. (if you cut yourself, or even feel a pinch, it's time for a new foil).

130 bucks for the kit, about 25 bucks for two "cleaner" cartridges that last (at a shave a day) about two to three months a cartridge. Not a bad deal. (Let me be clear: The FIRST Braun I got lasted me over ten years. Then I got a new one last year. So they, at least in my experience, last).
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 04:45:17 PM by Morat20 »
schild
Administrator

Reply #76 on: December 07, 2008, 04:42:05 PM

And then you slip on your sun dress with a sassy pair of pumps and sashay your pretty little self to work.
Swing and a miss.
DeathInABottle
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: December 07, 2008, 04:48:07 PM

Deathinabottle, not to be mean but you've been using your straight razor for a year and it still takes you 25 minutes to shave in the morning.  Based on that, I find it kind of unrealistic to expect that "eventually you'll get to be just as fast as you would be with a Mach 3."
Twice a week means I've done it a lot less than other people, and it means that I always have a longer beard, which means I spend a longer time shaving.  And again: 3 passes, 12 minutes.  Anyway, focusing on the time taken ignores the other benefits.

Oh, and and edit for hilarity.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 04:57:37 PM by DeathInABottle »
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: December 07, 2008, 05:04:01 PM

Swing and a miss.

Damn it.  Okay, I missed the American Psycho reference.

In my defense, though, when I was in Phoenix I did see all the Axe Body Spray you had in your bathroom, so I was more than willing to attribute fruity hygiene regimens to you.   why so serious?
schild
Administrator

Reply #79 on: December 07, 2008, 05:21:47 PM

Swing and a miss.

Damn it.  Okay, I missed the American Psycho reference.

In my defense, though, when I was in Phoenix I did see all the Axe Body Spray you had in your bathroom, so I was more than willing to attribute fruity hygiene regimens to you.   why so serious?
That was Ookii's bathroom.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #80 on: December 07, 2008, 05:24:05 PM

Schild doesn't use regular soap and water.

Once a week he scrubs himself vigorusly with one of those stainless steel soap bars.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #81 on: December 07, 2008, 06:19:45 PM

Yeah, I have fairly sensitive skin, with thick coarse facial hair. I hate shaving.

And Nair on balls? NOOOOOOO

I tried a tiny spot to test....I thought I was going to burn a hole in my skin.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #82 on: December 07, 2008, 06:28:46 PM

Yeah, I'm a tad OCD about hair.

I don't think you're alone. Seems like a lot of people are (not referring to this thread.. just in general).

I seem to be in the minority on that one. But then again, I don't have a lot of hair. Everyone thinks I shave my arms, but I don't.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #83 on: December 07, 2008, 10:17:43 PM

I use a Braun electric. One of those self cleaners. Works awesome. Every time I've stopped using a Braun product, I've regretted it.
I used one of those for ten years. As long as you change the foil (The cutting surface) about every 18 months, and the little gizmo under the foil about every three years, it works great.

I also use the Braun 360. If I use razors for a close shave, I get a ton of in-grown hairs in my neck line that lead to zits that make me look 18 again. And not the good version of 18 either.

It gives a pretty good shave - some areas around the neck are better than others - and I've had the current one for about 3 years. Changed the foil and blades a few months ago and it is like new. The automated cleaning solution has a smell that touches off weird happy parts of my brain.

Also, it is pretty good for throwing into an overnight bag if you need to shave on the road. It comes with an attachable cord if you think you are going to use up all the battery (which, unless you need to shave heavily several times a day over the course of a week, probably won't happen). So, I recommend it.

angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #84 on: December 07, 2008, 10:24:27 PM

I have this, Pseudofolliculitis Barbae, and it sucks.

Hey Jimbo,

I was sent to the shaving clinic in boot camp for Pseudofolliculitis. It wasn't problem prior to that because I wasn't rushed shaving, but it got pretty bad. Every Monday I went to the shaving clinic for an hour instead of drill and got schooled on the corret way to shave by a dermatologist and a really bitter, angry barber. Like I said, mne got pretty bad which suprised people because I'm mostly white and have straight whiskers. The stuff they taught me helped a ton, and it's worked pretty well for other people I've told about it. Not sure how much advice you've sought, but here's what they told me, and it applies to everyone:

1) No electric razors, pretty much ever. They irritate your skin and usually just grab hold of your whisker and pull it until it breaks off - a lot of times under the skin.
2) Shower first, softens the whiskers and makes clean cuts easier.
3) Never, ever, ever pass a razor over the same spot more than 4 times a day. That's 4 passes with a single blade, 2 passes with a double blade, 1 pass with a 3 or 4 bladed razor, and no passes with something with more than 4 blades because only a stupid asshole would buy one.
4) Apply shaving lube before the shaving cream.
5) Never, ever, ever, ever, for any reason, shave against the grain of your whiskers. Ever.
6) After shaving, if you did it right you should still be able to feel and see your whiskers. That means the tip of the whisker is outside the skin. If all you feel is skin, that means your stupid Mangina space razor lifted the whisker and cut it off below the skin. That's very bad.
7) Use sometning with a lubricating strip. Never ever buy anything that's designed to lift and cut.

Anyway, there's more but it's pretty much more of the same. Numbers 3 and 5 are by far the most important though.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 10:26:29 PM by angry.bob »

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #85 on: December 08, 2008, 07:52:14 AM

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: December 08, 2008, 08:24:26 AM

So fucking kawaii!

I wonder what it tastes like.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: December 08, 2008, 08:48:45 AM

2) Shower first, softens the whiskers and makes clean cuts easier.

I always take a hot face cloth to my face then shave and shower. Great for cleanup and finding if you missed a spot.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: December 08, 2008, 11:09:22 AM

1) No electric razors, pretty much ever. They irritate your skin and usually just grab hold of your whisker and pull it until it breaks off - a lot of times under the skin.
When was this? Because that was my experience with electric shavers before I ponied up for the Braun I use now (those fucking little three wheely deals suck!) but the Braun doesn't yank, and it's exactly the shave you're describing (you can JUST tell that the whisker tip is just above the skin).

The electric I've got cuts, not yanks, and it does so what feels like a freaking nanonmeter above the skin surface -- I haven't had an ingrown hair, irritated skin, or a single problem since I started using it -- and I am prone to ingrowns.

For those looking at "other means" -- go laser over electrolysis if possible, the folks doing it should be up front about the potential problems with skin and hair colors. (Pale skin and dark hair is the best, IIRC).

As for chemicals -- I have a few friends that swear by the Magic Shave Powder, including at least two girls that use it in very sensitive locations. Supposedly not nearly as harsh as things like NAIR (I've been told it itches as it dries, but doesn't burn) and doesn't seem to leave the sort of nasty irritation most chemicals can.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: December 08, 2008, 11:13:34 AM

I've got to admit crap like that makes curious to see what it's like to go generally hairless. If it doesn't burn and doesn't involve potentially scarring myself in many places it almost seems worth it even though I really don't like the idea that much.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: December 08, 2008, 11:15:30 AM

I've got to admit crap like that makes curious to see what it's like to go generally hairless. If it doesn't burn and doesn't involve potentially scarring myself in many places it almost seems worth it even though I really don't like the idea that much.

Keep in mind that, biologically speaking, hair serves several important fuctions.  You never really gain a solid appreciation for what those functions are until you clear the shrubbery. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #91 on: December 08, 2008, 11:16:21 AM

I stick to myself enough as it is.  Dropping the hair seems like a bad idea.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #92 on: December 08, 2008, 11:19:50 AM

Seems like a lot of people are (not referring to this thread.. just in general). I seem to be in the minority on that one. But then again, I don't have a lot of hair. Everyone thinks I shave my arms, but I don't.
I'm not OCD about hair. If it grows, it grows. Already went over that in the other thread, though. Haven't shaved in years, though I do trim my stache so I can eat like a human, and I do a bit around the ears to keep it neat.

When I shaved I used a rotary norelco for the last few years, before that it was el cheapo bic disposable + rubbing alcohol. For my head it was clippers, no guard.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #93 on: December 08, 2008, 11:57:33 AM

When was this? Because that was my experience with electric shavers before I ponied up for the Braun I use now (those fucking little three wheely deals suck!) but the Braun doesn't yank, and it's exactly the shave you're describing (you can JUST tell that the whisker tip is just above the skin).

Winter of 1989/1990. I'd imagine the technology has improved, but I don't know by how much. I think one of the biggest issues with the electrics is/was most people never change the cutters. I just use the yellow and white Bic twin blade disposables. I do a once over with the Wahl clippers when I shave my head, then shave after I shower. The Bic lasts me about a month that way. I could stretch it out longer, but the razors would be a little to dull past that point.

Oh, I forgot to mention to avoid depilatories (at least back then) as they will cause skin discoloration and sometimes scarring after prolonged use.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: December 08, 2008, 12:03:47 PM

See I really can't understand using disposable bics rather than a safety razor. The cost difference can't be that much and not only is there less waste it feels a fuck load better.

Edit: Should probably have said cost difference can't be that much over a few years.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: December 08, 2008, 12:19:26 PM

Sensitive skin and a thick, coarse beard = hate shaving. I'd grow a beard, but when I do it's just a huge coarse mess of hair that always just kinda sticks out. If me facial hair didn't grow straight out, I'd be happy with a beard.

I can only usually get away without shaving for a couple of days. Also, the longer my beard is, the better the shave. I can't remember the last time I shaved on a weekend and my Monday morning one is usually the best of the week.

I'm weird though, thick facial, arm and leg hair. Pretty much hairless anywhere else. I have like 5 hairs on my chest that I just pluck out every now and then. I shave my armpits since I have a sweating problem and I find that clean shaven armpits help with that which is pretty much against anything I've read or heard.

Also, married. My wife complains and complains and complains and then complains some more when I have stubble, let alone a full-blown beard.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #96 on: December 08, 2008, 12:27:05 PM

I can grow a pretty good beard, but it starts looking like I'm on an expedition to cross the Antarctic. So in my working life I have usually shaved every morning. Gilette Sensor (double blade). Always worked fine, and the blades last a while unless I use them to shave off a 5-day+ holiday beard. A few issues with skin dryness and acne, but nothing major.

But I'm a keen cyclist and this year I kept up daily cycling all through the Aussie winter for the first time ever. When the temperature is down in the single Celsius digits or lower, rushing air against your shaved face is fucking cold. So to protect my face against the wind, I grew stubble/a beard and kept it trimmed at number 1 length on the hair trimmer. I liked the look, so I've kept it into summer.

Basically I go over it with a number 1 every 2-3 days and tidy up any stray bits high on my face or low on my neck with a razor. The good thing about this is, if I'm in a hurry, I can just leave it untrimmed for another day and nobody really notices (as opposed to not shaving when people expect you to be clean shaven). Having this short-trimmed beard reduces stress.

Also, I don't know if this has anything to do with the beard, but it has been a good year professionally and there is a change in attitude towards me at work - they seem to regard me as more experienced and dependable. A beard has always made me look older, so maybe that's it.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #97 on: December 08, 2008, 12:32:06 PM

Also, I don't know if this has anything to do with the beard, but it has been a good year professionally and there is a change in attitude towards me at work - they seem to regard me as more experienced and dependable. A beard has always made me look older, so maybe that's it.

It is probably the beard.  No one takes kids seriously, plus there's the new-guy jealousy.  I feel like people are warming up to me now that I am growing my hair out, but it could also be the Lexapro. Ohhhhh, I see.

Broughden
Terracotta Army

I put the 'shill' in 'cockmonkey'.

Reply #98 on: December 08, 2008, 12:39:24 PM

For shaving the head: electric clippers, no guard.

It's the length your hair will be 2-3 days after shaving to the skin anyway, takes 1/4 as long, has no disposable parts, and involves no bleeding.

I shave my head in the shower. Been using the Gilette Fusion 8 or whatever it is they are up to now...with battery powered vibrations.
Use the same thing for my face. I only shave downward with the grain on my face otherwise I end up with ingrown hairs on my chin.

Ive been thinking of trying one of these though for my head....

http://www.headblade.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=HB&Product_Code=50300-4&Category_Code=headcare

The wave of the Reagan coalition has shattered on the rocky shore of Bush's incompetence. - Abagadro
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: December 08, 2008, 12:41:31 PM

kind of surprised no one brought this up yet: Shave Oil

I used to use this religiously prior to my recent move to electric.  It works great for the tough beard+soft skin combo the only downside is it make rinsing your razor a PITA (not too bad if you rinse the blade with some heavy duty water pressure).
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: December 08, 2008, 01:01:48 PM

I used shaving oil on TA weekends where I was shaving with freezing cold water and a Mach 3. Worked well enough and gave me a smoothish shave though I don't seem to have too much trouble generally with skin irritation so take that for what it's worth.

nurtsi
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: December 08, 2008, 01:17:17 PM

Keep in mind that, biologically speaking, hair serves several important functions.  You never really gain a solid appreciation for what those functions are until you clear the shrubbery. 

What are those functions exactly? I've heard some theories, but usually they've all been proven wrong at some point. Body hair doesn't help keep you warm. Some say it reduces friction, which I might believe. It would at least explain why it mostly grows in places like armpits and groin area.

There's certainly few downsides that don't have anything to do with aesthetics either. Hair soaks sweat and makes you smell worse. Also, if you have hairy legs like me and you do any sort of sports where there's the a risk of falling down (like MTB, rollerblades etc.), hair makes it much harder to clean the wounds and scratches you get. Despite this, I'm too lazy to go hairless. Way too much work. I wish there was a pool you could dip into and that would get rid of all the stuff. I might try that.

The laziness also reflects to my shaving of facial hair. I usually just let it grow for few days before shaving it. My beard grows at this crazy speed, so if I ever go politician I have to shave twice a day. When I shave, I usually use both electric & mach3. First I cut most of the hair away with the trimmer (because mach3 sucks for long hairs) and then do a second pass with mach3 to get smooth finish. I also don't use any cream, just hot water with mach3 while I shave and then I wash my face with cold water afterwards.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #102 on: December 08, 2008, 01:34:45 PM

It is probably the beard.  No one takes kids seriously, plus there's the new-guy jealousy.

I'm 38 and most of my colleagues are in their 20s or early 30s, except for the occasional 50-year-old. Without the beard, I look younger than I am though.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #103 on: December 08, 2008, 01:35:56 PM

I get a decent amount of respect given that in my free time I look like Grizzly Adam's crazy cousin. Throw on a casual suit, tie back the hair and suddenly it's all professorial. Helps to work in a library, though. I love the vibe and I'm working on accentuating it as I can afford to, I'm incorporating vests, now. Once I get a few more vests, I'll add a pocketwatch and chain!
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: December 08, 2008, 01:40:27 PM

Laser hair removal.  High up front cost for 3-6 applications, but then you NEVER have to do it again.  If you're a guy, this is the way to go for back hair as well.
Maybe laser is better these days, but I wasn't a good candidate when I tried years ago.  Light colored hair with almost colorless roots.  Electrolysis is okay for shaping eyebrows and the few stray hairs, but no way I'm going through that for any sizable patch like my legs.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: The Shaving Thread  
Jump to: