Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:33:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: The Shaving Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Shaving Thread  (Read 83764 times)
bhodi

No lie.

on: December 05, 2008, 02:25:22 PM

This is the spinoff of our what do you want thread. I started thinking about changing my shaving seriously after reading the SA thread here.

I don't have a thick beard, but I'm tired of constantly buying disposable razors, and I flat out refuse to try mach-27 5 bladed monstrocities, or an electric razor, so I think I'm going to try wetshaving. It's not a lot of cash investment - just a shaving brush, some shaving cream, and a double-edged safety razor. Maybe some aftershave and an alum block.

A straight razor though, that's crazy. I honestly can't see a reason why I'd switch to that over a normal double-edged safety razor. Maybe someone can enlighten?

Something new to try! I get acne every once in a while, so maybe this will help with that as well.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 02:28:18 PM by bhodi »
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 02:32:36 PM

How long does a Mach 3 blade last you? (Mine last 3 months each if I shave twice a week). Are you letting it grow out a lot before you shave? If you have long hair (ie: not stubble) it will dull the blades very fast .. it needs to be trimmed with a guardless beard trimmer first.

I'd like to try a straight razor but I hear they are very hard to do well yourself. The Mach 3 works perfectly fine for me, I buy a set of 4? once every 6-9 months for $9.

You should get the vibrating razor if you don't have one, I think they actually do help! But that could just be the marketing ..

- Viin
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 02:40:03 PM

I'm using a vibrating mach 5 righ  now. 

The same thread sold me the idea of a straight blade. Also, the best shave I ever had were the few times I tried a barber with a straight blade,.  I have no idea how I'll find one.  I'd use ebay but I'd like to "feel it" before I buy it.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 02:40:49 PM

I dunno.... I "wet shave" everyday in the shower and it's fine.  Cost is ridiculous, but I found some much cheaper Mach2 blades which funny enough last >1 month or more and are great blades.  I am convinced looking at them and the 3's that Gilette has dulled somehow the 3's to decrease life expectancy.

Otherwise the SA article is great, but not realistic for a daily get-to-work-on-time thing.  Very metro when you think about it.  And I expect more expensive really.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 02:47:05 PM

Just use a trimmer. I'm half Asian... I, unfortunately, will never get too bearded. :\ Grows a little patchy too. On the flipside, I'm blessed with not having to "pluck" my eyebrows either, like I'm finding that a lot of people do. Heh
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 02:54:34 PM

Yeah see it's mostly my unwillingness to give gilette a single dime. If i can get normal double edged safety razors for 3 or 4 cents, I can change them every single week and have an incredible shave every time. Assuming I can avoid the OH MY GOD THERE IS BLOOD EVERYWHERE OH JESUS. I can probably use it just fine with normal shaving cream out of a can. I had never heard of an alum block, though. I'm definitely going to get one of those.

Edit: just to be specific, I hate the fuckers and their lock-in for razor blades that should be no more than a few cents but instead they want dollars or more for. This includes Schick and such. I want a higher up-front cost but cheap blade replacement option at the very least.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 02:58:08 PM by bhodi »
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 02:56:13 PM

I can shave my entire head and beard in 4 minutes in the shower with the Schick Quattro Chrome.  7 minutes without a mirror.

Edit: Blades last a week each.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 03:01:03 PM

What's the best technology for ball shaving?

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 03:02:16 PM

on principle, I like this approach. I mean,  I still want a hand crank for grinding my own coffee.  Let us know how the big blade experiment goes.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 03:02:36 PM

Straight razor and a dominatrix.
Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 03:02:50 PM

a friend  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 03:06:32 PM

If you do it badly enough shaving won't be a concern for you anymore.
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008, 03:12:23 PM

Cold wax. Full brazilian.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #13 on: December 05, 2008, 03:14:32 PM

why shave at all?  awesome, for real

thats me on the right rockin my Yosemite Sam look after some kayaking

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: December 05, 2008, 03:24:55 PM

So my search for a single blade started after my doctor noticed I had an ingrown hair on my neck.

He commented that the Gillette Mach 9593 blades I was using caused ingrown hairs because they lift the hair out of the skin.  When the hair is cut, it then is under the skin, giving the hair a chance to grow inwards as opposed to outwards.

He suggested a straight edge or single blade. 

I am amazed at how long it took me to find one.

As soon as it gets here, I will update you guys on how it feels...

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #15 on: December 05, 2008, 03:30:57 PM

I'm not sure which Mach blades I was using (I used a Mach 3 and 4 before moving to the trimmer), and never had that problem.. But.. I just hated the completely bald look I was getting. I set the trimmer with no guard on - that looks just right. Besides, it's hardly any work, and takes no time at all.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #16 on: December 05, 2008, 03:35:33 PM

So my search for a single blade started after my doctor noticed I had an ingrown hair on my neck.

He commented that the Gillette Mach 9593 blades I was using caused ingrown hairs because they lift the hair out of the skin.  When the hair is cut, it then is under the skin, giving the hair a chance to grow inwards as opposed to outwards.

He suggested a straight edge or single blade. 

I am amazed at how long it took me to find one.

As soon as it gets here, I will update you guys on how it feels...

I had the same issue with mach 3, i just downgraded to a double blade and it resolve the ingrown hair issue for me (not sure the name, gillette makes em "sensor"??).

anyways goodluck with the straight edge.  I have to confess, I don't think I have the testicular fortitude to hold a straight edge to my throat.

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #17 on: December 05, 2008, 04:15:32 PM

For shaving the head: electric clippers, no guard.

It's the length your hair will be 2-3 days after shaving to the skin anyway, takes 1/4 as long, has no disposable parts, and involves no bleeding.

FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: December 05, 2008, 04:18:07 PM

I don't shave except to keep my beard off my cheeks and part of my neck.

I just use the cheapest bic razors I can find.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #19 on: December 05, 2008, 04:31:26 PM

Judging by your avatar, no part of your neck is not beard

Grimwell
Developers

[Redacted]

Reply #20 on: December 05, 2008, 04:49:10 PM

I use a Fusion multi-bladed thing to shave. I change the blade head about once a quarter. It does not shave all that well, but I never got too excited about it figuring that this was as good as it gets. Now I wonder...

...but won't find out. I'm thinking it's beard time lately. May go for the hair too and do the Jesus look to anger my balding friends.

Grimwell
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: December 05, 2008, 04:56:19 PM

I have not had a hair cut in over two months.

Someone commented to me that it is very European to let one's hair grow.

Figured, why not?

Also makes my boss, who may be going bald, a tad edgy.

++

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #22 on: December 05, 2008, 05:09:28 PM

Getting a proper straight edge shave at the barber is a near-religious experience.

I have mach 3.  Rocking the beard for winter lets me not worry too much about it, I shave the neck/cheeks maybe once a week if I'm up to it.  More than that and I get razor bumbs.

I might head into the Art of Shaving store and let them sell me something.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: December 05, 2008, 05:12:05 PM

BAH.

Went to a Merkur double-bladed safety razor about a year ago.  Never looked back.  Just take your time and get acquainted with both it and your face.

Most important things:

Invest in a good brush and good soap. 

Take your time.

Triple pass shave is the way to go (With, Across, Against the grain)

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #24 on: December 05, 2008, 05:25:59 PM

I hate shaving. I try not to truly shave if I can help it...I use an attachment on my electric to trim down to shard stubble once a week or so. Shaving with straight razors hurt me, but this wetshave thing....

I have an electric that I use in the shower if I HAVE to shave, which is rare. I find that being immersed in water fixes everything.

Draw yourself a bath, no soap. May want to just shower first. Sit immersed in water, and just take your time with a razer. Any stupid cartridge razer should be fine.

No oke. I don't do this often, as it's VERY time consuming.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: December 05, 2008, 05:38:12 PM

For shaving the head: electric clippers, no guard.

It's the length your hair will be 2-3 days after shaving to the skin anyway, takes 1/4 as long, has no disposable parts, and involves no bleeding.

Ya that's how I started out.  Then I got good (and faster) at using the blade.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #26 on: December 05, 2008, 05:51:02 PM

Tweezers and vodka.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #27 on: December 05, 2008, 06:21:15 PM

I stopped shaving my beard about halfway through the year, then stopped shaving my neck about 2 months later. I now have a large bushy beard, which I'm kinda seeing how long I can get away with at work.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #28 on: December 05, 2008, 06:23:59 PM

I have this, Pseudofolliculitis Barbae, and it sucks.  I prefer to keep my face smooth, but years of shaving make me get the nasty razor bumps.  I've tried electric and safety razor's, haven't tried the chemical depilatories, mainly because I can't stand around with a cream on my face for 5 minutes.  The best thing for me is a single blade razor or electric, but the electric takes too long for me.  I use the Bump Fighter Razors, when I can find them.

My beard grows in pretty patchy, so I usually keep it clean shaven, heck I've even considered electrolysis and being done with shaving.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #29 on: December 05, 2008, 06:33:16 PM

Those of you who are trying electric shavers and don't like them.. Have you ever tried a trimmer?

I feel like a trimmer salesman here, the way I keep talking. But really.. What the hell do you want to be completely shaven for anyways? Down with shaving, I say. Stubble or beards. That's how you should roll.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Stephen Zepp
Developers

InstantAction

Reply #30 on: December 05, 2008, 06:49:57 PM

The trick to straight blade shaving (although it looks like you didn't go there) is always keep the skin under tension. I have a heavy beard growth myself and keep it in a jawline +chin + stache, and while I now use normal disposables (time mostly--I have to shave sometimes twice a day and can't take the time to do a straight edge shave anymore), the straight edge was always much nicer.

If you can figure out how to both hold the razor and keep your skin constantly taught, you'll never cut yourself, and will have an amazing shave.

PS: Keeping the skin taught works on all body parts, male or female. It's just sometimes difficult ;)

Rumors of War
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: December 05, 2008, 07:57:24 PM

Great thread.  What do you guys find works best on legs and the bikini area?  Mine are kind of boney, so it's tough to get a good shave around the knees and other curves.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: December 05, 2008, 07:58:45 PM

Wax.

FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: December 05, 2008, 10:44:05 PM

Draw yourself a bath, no soap. May want to just shower first. Sit immersed in water, and just take your time with a razer. Any stupid cartridge razer should be fine.

No oke. I don't do this often, as it's VERY time consuming.
If you want that area bald, the part when it all starts to grow out that sucks. I don't bother going down to the skin anymore.
Great thread.  What do you guys find works best on legs and the bikini area?  Mine are kind of boney, so it's tough to get a good shave around the knees and other curves.
Just set them in boiling water for a bit, and the hair just pulls right out. Like a chicken. (I greened it because I don't want to take any responsibility if anyone actually does this).

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: December 05, 2008, 11:00:38 PM

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: The Shaving Thread  
Jump to: