Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:58:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: The Shaving Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Shaving Thread  (Read 84358 times)
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #210 on: August 19, 2009, 12:24:41 PM

I like not going through any security at domestic airports. Last time I flew, I had not only my shaving stuff, toothpaste, shampoo and other highly dangerous items, but there was also a full liter of vodka in there.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #211 on: August 19, 2009, 12:43:56 PM

There's not enough freedom to destroy in iceland.
glennshin
Terracotta Army

Reply #212 on: September 17, 2009, 12:23:04 PM

This thread has changed my life.
The lather brush alone has made shaving a much better experience. Heart
The straight razor was scary as fuck to use with those first couple strokes. Always paranoid that I'd end up slicing my own throat accidentally.
Once I got used to some of the more difficult angles on my face (lips, adams apple) it is now a pleasant morning routine. The shave also lasts 2-3 days for me.

Definitely want to try the safety razors and just taking my time looking around town.

Who knew F13 could have a positive effect on my life!!

Thanks

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #213 on: September 17, 2009, 12:36:24 PM

Hey, try our Gaming Recommendations. awesome, for real

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
glennshin
Terracotta Army

Reply #214 on: September 17, 2009, 03:35:04 PM

heh, I totally got sucked into Schild's Demon's Souls Hype machine and bought an import copy.
All his frothing was actually justified for that one.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #215 on: April 13, 2012, 08:38:16 AM

This came across my news feeder today.  Why I have not heard of this awesomeness before?!

http://www.dollarshaveclub.com/

http://youtu.be/ZUG9qYTJMsI

I mean, shaving is serious business.  New blades shipped to my door for a couple bucks a month?  There must be a catch somewhere...

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #216 on: April 13, 2012, 08:41:35 AM

Just get yourself a nice straight razor.  You'll get a closer shave and never have to pay for blades again.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #217 on: April 13, 2012, 08:56:01 AM

I'm a big fan of a nice safety razor myself, but I can't convince my dad to switch to one - so I'm thinking of going this route for him, since he otherwise is using some type of terrible disposable bic razor or the like.
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #218 on: April 13, 2012, 09:02:56 AM

You haven't heard of this because you don't read the Useless Videos thread.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #219 on: April 13, 2012, 09:27:47 AM

I mean, shaving is serious business.
Apparently it must be.  I don't shave yet hear horror stories from people who do.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #220 on: April 13, 2012, 11:53:49 AM

You haven't heard of this because you don't read the Useless Videos thread.

What he said. We already have a shaving thread, as well. Soooooo time to merge!
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #221 on: April 13, 2012, 12:22:18 PM

Sorry.  It did not occur to me search for a three year old thread on shaving  why so serious?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #222 on: April 16, 2012, 11:21:47 AM

Wow.  I wish I would have known that Ab was such a shaving junky when I bought my straight razor.  Maybe I wouldn't have this sweet scar on the side of my face.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I'm pretty well getting the hang of it by this time, but I've learned a few things since purchasing said razor:

1.  "Shave Ready" almost never means ready to shave with.  You'll have to hone it a little bit and definitely strop the fuck out of it.
2.  If your razor isn't sharp enough you will cut yourself.
3.  If you don't strop correctly you will cut yourself.  
4.  If you shave too fast you will cut yourself.  In fact, I would say that if you don't have time to shave, don't do it.
5.  If you shave too slow you will cut yourself.  Try to move the blade along at a decent pace and don't "stall".  
6.  If you hold the blade at too steep of an angle you will cut yourself (like 90 degrees to the skin).
7.  A good pre-shave oil and a quality shaving cream and brush is your friend.
8.  Stropping in between "passes" is a great idea.
9.  Spending a little money on a decent razor is a great idea.
10.  Getting a professional shave so that you have an example as to how it is done is a great idea.
11.  It's going to take a bit for your skin to get used to the shave.  You won't want to (or have to) shave every day in most instances.
12.  Buy a decent hone and strop, but don't get the strop right out of the gate.  You'll mangle it while you learn.  

I have to say that (now that I've learned the ropes and mangled myself one good time) that shaving with a straight razor has given me, by far and away, the closest shaves that I've ever gotten.  It's pretty fun and will clearly save me money over those crazy Mach 3/5/7 whatever bladed replaceable razors.  
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #223 on: April 16, 2012, 12:38:44 PM

I still use the safety razor that Ab sent me. Feather blades + my home made badger brush + random Taylor of Old Bond Street cream = as close to a straight razor as I am willing to get.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: April 16, 2012, 02:06:30 PM

This came across my news feeder today.  Why I have not heard of this awesomeness before?!

http://www.dollarshaveclub.com/

http://youtu.be/ZUG9qYTJMsI

I mean, shaving is serious business.  New blades shipped to my door for a couple bucks a month?  There must be a catch somewhere...

And their blades are fucking great.

Forbes had an article a few days ago that you might find of interest:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidvinjamuri/2012/04/12/could-your-brand-be-dollar-shave-d/
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: April 16, 2012, 02:35:45 PM

Wow.  I wish I would have known that Ab was such a shaving junky when I bought my straight razor.  Maybe I wouldn't have this sweet scar on the side of my face.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Worth it for a punch on your Man Card though!

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #226 on: April 16, 2012, 06:22:32 PM

No, this is the type of scar that would be cool if you were in a knife fight, not one you obtain through a shaving fuck up.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: April 17, 2012, 03:42:20 AM

Nobody has to know it wasn't a knife fight.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #228 on: April 17, 2012, 06:00:46 AM

Anybody that knows me is aware that I would never get in a knife fight.  I always bring a gun.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #229 on: April 17, 2012, 06:47:37 AM

The assailant got the jump on you.  You shot him after he got a slash at your face.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #230 on: April 17, 2012, 07:07:22 AM

This reminds me of when I had a couple of moles removed from my face when I was in dental school.  My wife (who was also in dental school but a year ahead of me) and I told everyone that she got mad at me and whacked me with a rake.  It was funny the number of people that actually believed the story.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #231 on: October 15, 2012, 12:29:24 PM

Any of you straight razor shavers out there do your own sharpening?  I'd love some advice. 
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #232 on: October 15, 2012, 01:28:10 PM

lol, I'll save you the suspense and let you add it to your list.

If you don't sharpen it right you will cut yourself!
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #233 on: October 15, 2012, 01:32:45 PM

Thanks.   Ohhhhh, I see.

I am specifically looking for what type of stone or stones to by.  I currently have a Shapton 8000 grit stone and wondered if I should get a 4000 or even lower grit. 
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #234 on: October 15, 2012, 08:06:02 PM

I have two blades I need sharpened, but I think I am going to mail them in to get done right. Or just buy another pre-sharpened one since I'm lazy .. besides, who isn't excited about a new razor? Not I!

- Viin
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #235 on: October 16, 2012, 06:41:57 AM

I need to get a couple new stones at some point. I've got a couple smaller stones I've been using for a few years now, I got them as a gift set. A larger coarse arkansas stone and a smaller one that looks like marble. Seems to get the job done, but even the larger one isn't very big.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #236 on: October 16, 2012, 06:50:33 AM

I have never tried to shave my legs in this way.  I wonder if I should.  Razor costs just don't get better, do they?  And it would be different!  I could start a fb page for women who shave their legs with old fashioned razors.  I've never started a real fb page except the little personal one.  And if someone tried to mug me in the bath, I'd have a weapon! 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #237 on: October 16, 2012, 07:10:33 AM

How do you feel about the sight of blood when it's your own?

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #238 on: October 16, 2012, 07:25:57 AM

Well, I guess there is that but then why do these guys do it?

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #239 on: October 16, 2012, 07:52:36 AM

Every time I see this thread, I just assume it's the NSFW sort of shaving.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #240 on: October 16, 2012, 07:54:23 AM

We can talk about that too awesome, for real
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #241 on: October 16, 2012, 08:11:49 AM

Because it's macho to put extremely sharp pieces of metal near one's juglar?

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #242 on: October 16, 2012, 08:13:04 AM

I use a straight razor for several reasons:

1.  It's fun.  It's more interesting that using the basic Gillette
2.  The shave is closer-  a good straight razor shave is awesome
3.   It's, in theory, going to be better for the environment because I'm not throwing a bunch of shit away all the time.
4.  It's, in theory, going to be cheaper long term because decent disposables are expensive anymore (although I've been known to spend shitloads of money on stuff once I get into it).  

As far as shaving mommy parts, I think you could have someone else do it, but shaving your own face with a straight razor can be an exercise in acrobatics.  I can only imagine the contortions necessary for mommy parts.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #243 on: October 16, 2012, 08:16:17 AM

MOMMY PARTS??  What is wrong with your mind?  I was talking about legs!!!

Wait.  Before I go and since YOU brought it up... do you shave your daddy parts with a straight razor?  Just wonderin'....

Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #244 on: October 16, 2012, 01:11:51 PM

Not more than once, he wouldn't.  ACK!

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: The Shaving Thread  
Jump to: