Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 08:52:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Cheyenne Mountain Death Watch 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cheyenne Mountain Death Watch  (Read 166659 times)
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #280 on: December 11, 2009, 11:46:28 AM

I want to be that one token white Jaffa.

Stargate would a be good MMO license but it's in bad hands.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 02:28:49 PM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #281 on: December 11, 2009, 02:27:12 PM

Isn't that what they said about Communism?

Oh, I kid.

AKA Gyoza
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #282 on: December 11, 2009, 04:28:27 PM

This game dropped off my radar some time ago and after the farce(sp) of a TV show that is Stargate Emoverse Ive lost a lot of interest in the Stargate thang.  Gimme some KOTOR

Stargate Universe is awesome and there's nothing you can do about it.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #283 on: December 11, 2009, 08:38:56 PM

Eh, I still think that Stargate was a solid franchise for a MMORPG.

As an IP for a MMO, it's better than a lot of others, especially as a theme park title.

ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #284 on: December 11, 2009, 09:00:46 PM

This is insane.  They're developing a Stargate FPS again?  After they cancelled the first one?  This franchise is so fucked.

Stargate would a be good MMO license but it's in bad hands.

Fixed.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #285 on: December 12, 2009, 10:34:12 PM

This is insane.  They're developing a Stargate FPS again?  After they cancelled the first one?  This franchise is so fucked.
A stargate FPS is probably even MORE of a no-brainer, assuming you got someone marginally competent to make it.

Of course, deep down I want a Honor Harrington Naval Simulator, but I suspect I'd be bored halfway through the first battle -- and I suspect I'd get my ass blown out of the sky so fast the AI would laugh at me.
schild
Administrator

Reply #286 on: December 13, 2009, 04:40:43 AM

Why would Stargate be a good license? Because it has doors to anywhere? Is this a joke? Every handling of Stargate past the first movie has been trash. It's like the asshole's sci-fi version of Planescape.
jason
Terracotta Army

Reply #287 on: December 13, 2009, 04:51:59 AM

People always think Stargate is a good license because the "doors to anywhere" don't have to maintain a consistent theme.  Ooo, look! Roman world!  Now Look! Sci-Fi Space Station!  Hey! Russia!  Awesome! Pyramids!  Neat!

Map after map, zone after zone, no matter what theme you pick you can shoehorn it into Stargate by just making it on the other side of a portal.
schild
Administrator

Reply #288 on: December 13, 2009, 05:52:25 AM

Yeaaaaaa. That's what I was getting at.

Guys, Stargate in any setting is still fucking Stargate. It's a terrible license. End of story.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #289 on: December 13, 2009, 09:01:24 AM

Sci-fi universe full of medieval worlds!  Most of stargate is just a bunch of hippy, ball-massaging cliches strung together in some pretense of a consistent storyline.  There was no depth, the little guys always beat insurmountable odds and came through at the end of the day.  If someone died, grief lasted roughly 40 minutes until credits.

And I loved watching SG1, it was a nice brainless sci-fi with either MacGuyver busting badass or Crichton delivering his snarky commentary.

You want to make a game out of this license?  You drop the boring-ass politics, throw all of civilization into a fast-paced transgalactic war, map out the overall flow of the war for a good 10 years and provide the illusion of actually making a difference by providing smaller-yet-trivial objectives to make the battle lines look fluid.

Also, the ability to kill a lot of the smug fuckers from the show would be awesome.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
schild
Administrator

Reply #290 on: December 13, 2009, 09:46:36 AM

Errrrrrr. No, my point was to not take the license. Just because a license exists doesn't mean it's good. A good license has a fanbase that provides some sort of crossover to the other form of media, this being TV/Movies -> Games. The license has to provide some kind of benefit over "it's a license." A huge possible playerbase, for example. SG does not do this. It provides fuckall in a boring ass setting in a world full of boring ass tech and bland characters. It's a terrible fucking license. The idea is neat, but entirely unoriginal (the idea of a city of doors to everywhere is old as the hills) and SG - arguably - was the worst of them all.

It's a shitty license. Period.

Edit: Shit, it's probably one of the ONLY licenses that would be worse than straight up brand new IP. Seriously, it's so bad. It's power glove bad.
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #291 on: December 13, 2009, 02:45:46 PM

I think it would be a good license for an RTS. But then most of the fans would probably be bored to tears with that implementation.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
schild
Administrator

Reply #292 on: December 13, 2009, 03:16:37 PM

I think it would be a good license for an RTS.

Not really, no.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #293 on: December 13, 2009, 04:10:51 PM

Oh, I know!  I choose you, teal'c!

Goa'uld, gotta catch em all!

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #294 on: December 14, 2009, 02:42:09 AM

I think it would be a good license for an RTS.

Not really, no.

Then, how about a freeware adventure game using AGS? (I played a little bit of this a few years back - wasn't bad if you like the old Indiana Jones adventure games)

http://www.freehare.com/index.php?nav=games&item=review&id=43

tkinnun0
Terracotta Army

Reply #295 on: December 14, 2009, 04:44:26 AM

Edit: Shit, it's probably one of the ONLY licenses that would be worse than straight up brand new IP. Seriously, it's so bad. It's power glove bad.

It's an IP that practically demands zones and instances, whereas if you invented your own IP there's no reason not to have a seamless world. As such it's an IP Age of Conan should have used given their technical limitations.
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #296 on: December 14, 2009, 08:32:34 AM

The movie was pretty fun, but the tv shows were awful.  The best one (the first series) relied almost exclusively on cutesy character interactions, but the setting and antagonists were positively pedestrian.  You take those characters out and you're just left with mush.
tkinnun0
Terracotta Army

Reply #297 on: December 15, 2009, 02:39:33 AM

If your studio is not capable of making as polished an MMO as Blizzard or taking the MMO genre to a whole new level, then Stargate is a better IP for your MMO than Star Wars or Star Trek. Your MMO is not going to be epic and Stargate does not try to be an epic IP.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #298 on: December 15, 2009, 06:49:42 AM

SG is a transparent rip off of Mr Benn tbh.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 06:53:47 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #299 on: December 15, 2009, 11:30:38 AM

If you want multiple worlds and dimensional portals and shit, you may as well cook up your own IP and include them in it. Then you can do whatever you damn well please with it. Blow up the earth, add cyborg ninjas to an expansion, what the fuck ever. There aren't enough people who give a shit about Stargate to make dealing with a licensed IP worthwhile.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #300 on: December 15, 2009, 05:29:47 PM

If you want multiple worlds and dimensional portals and shit, you may as well cook up your own IP and include them in it. Then you can do whatever you damn well please with it. Blow up the earth, add cyborg ninjas to an expansion, what the fuck ever. There aren't enough people who give a shit about Stargate to make dealing with a licensed IP worthwhile.

Depending on how much it cost, it might have saved a lot of time in lore and art development by just licensing the IP. Plus this MMO was announced back when SG was arguably a lot fresher.

I'm not saying that SG is a great sci-fi licence - it's got some nice ideas but is also fairly generic. But as an IP for a MMO it cuts through the "what?" barrier because a lot of people know what SG is, even if they aren't fans and the setting allows for instanced worlds of great variety. It's a better sci-fi IP for a MMO that lots of others - personally I think something like Dr Who is a bigger IP, but it would make an awful MMO.

Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #301 on: December 15, 2009, 06:03:47 PM

Dr. who would have to ship with a bunch of LSD and bad poetry.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #302 on: December 15, 2009, 06:14:55 PM

Dr. who would have to ship with a bunch of LSD and bad poetry.

You think grinding for a Jedi was bad - just wait until you have to grind to become a Timelord!

Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #303 on: December 15, 2009, 06:25:28 PM

I found the recipe list for a TARDIS.  Looks like there's a lot of subcombines too and that's not even counting the interior modules.
    * 4 pieces of long wood
    * 4 small pieces of wood, just a bit wider on the top than the other bits of wood
    * 1 slightly smaller piece of wood
    * 2 square pecies of wood, able to fit on the top and the bottom
    * 4 thin pieces of wood for the bottom
    * a small piece of wood to hold the lantern.
    * a lantern, preferably with a blue top
    * door hinges
    * nails
    * a claw hammer
    * a saw
    * blue paint
    * gold YALE lock
    * optional: model "Police Telephone" door panel

raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #304 on: December 17, 2009, 02:53:06 AM

Daleks are even easier to craft as most of the parts can be picked up at any good hardware store. Plungers, egg whisks, washers, ballcocks...The tricky part is finding a decent ring modulator to get that really good raspy 'EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINAAAAATE!!' Of course you could just opt for a good sized fan and scream into that all day, but it's just not the same.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 02:55:10 AM by raydeen »

stark
Terracotta Army

Reply #305 on: February 10, 2010, 08:31:08 AM

Holy shit, they finished something:  http://www.stargateresistance.com/

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #306 on: February 10, 2010, 09:20:58 AM

Holy shit, they finished something:  http://www.stargateresistance.com/

That seems to have a hard time loading up.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #307 on: February 10, 2010, 09:24:10 AM

That game looks like a piece of shit. GO GO 1-shot Stealth kills!

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #308 on: February 10, 2010, 09:24:58 AM

Stargate: Resistance looks like they tore the combat system out of the MMO they couldn't finish and forced it into a mediocre third person shooter.  I mean, if you are going this route with a game right now, is there any reason not to choose Global Agenda?
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #309 on: February 10, 2010, 09:26:12 AM

I recognize most of those areas as from alpha. Combat looked weak.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #310 on: February 10, 2010, 11:19:14 AM

Stargate: Resistance looks like they tore the combat system out of the MMO they couldn't finish and forced it into a mediocre third person shooter.  I mean, if you are going this route with a game right now, is there any reason not to choose Global Agenda?

It's Stargate!

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #311 on: February 10, 2010, 01:18:49 PM

I was looking forward to Stargate Online and am a fan of the Stargate series but Im not even playing this. 
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #312 on: February 19, 2010, 12:54:38 PM

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #313 on: February 19, 2010, 03:05:44 PM

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Jerrith
Developers

Trion

Reply #314 on: February 19, 2010, 09:43:42 PM

Not unexpected.  I was impressed they managed to get Stargate: Resistance out, but after trying the beta, couldn't imagine it would sell well.  Seems like they stayed open just long enough to make sure that was the case, and then called it quits...

Oh well.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Cheyenne Mountain Death Watch  
Jump to: