Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:36:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Cheyenne Mountain Death Watch 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cheyenne Mountain Death Watch  (Read 165662 times)
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #245 on: July 27, 2009, 07:23:22 AM

I'm going to have a bah dang whippersnappers moment here because

1) Sci Fi has been the worst thing ever since the day they canceled MST3K

and

2) That channel has ALWAYS been fucking terrible with one flagship show everyone needlessly creams their drawers about surrounded by movies worse than what MST3K was making fun of in the first place.

Also: genre fiction sucks. That extends to pablum du jour like Stargate.
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #246 on: July 27, 2009, 05:21:18 PM

Yes, the channel that offered Stargate, Battlestar Galactica, a fine remake of The Wizard of Oz featuring Zooey Deschanel, and reruns of Jericho, The Twilight Zone, and the X-Files is the 'worst thing ever'.  Worse than Ebola.

Ghost Hunters is garbage, though.  I'll give you that.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #247 on: July 27, 2009, 05:25:17 PM

a fine remake of The Wizard of Oz featuring Zooey Deschanel

FUCK NO!

But then again i liked their Earthsea and Dune attempts.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #248 on: July 27, 2009, 07:04:05 PM

Could you imagine what some of us would do with our very own Sci-Fi channel?  (I shudder)
I think that's what's saddest about it... we all know the greatness it should be, but it aint.  And I've lost count of the plethora of great pilots and 1-season wonders that they never picked up (from other networks) but should've.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #249 on: July 27, 2009, 08:21:11 PM

Sci Fi costs too much money to do well for such a niche audience.  On top of that you have even more costs to license the good shows from the big media guys who want to show them on their own networks.  Sci Fi was doomed as a channel from the moment the cable sector started on its ever-expanding number of channels and advertisers began realizing they weren't getting enough eyeballs for their dollars.  Shit, if Hulu and the like take off like the internet did, I'm expecting the companies to come to consumers asking for us to accept the a la carte option we were all yelling for 5 years ago so they can keep revenues up.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #250 on: July 27, 2009, 10:53:30 PM

Yes, the channel that offered Stargate, Battlestar Galactica, a fine remake of The Wizard of Oz featuring Zooey Deschanel, and reruns of Jericho, The Twilight Zone, and the X-Files is the 'worst thing ever'.  Worse than Ebola.

Stargate: crap
BSG: Not crap but overrated character melodrama
Oz: Holy fuck no. I will judge people forever if they liked that abysmal turd and everything you ever like forever is now suspect.

Reruns don't count. But it really isn't the worst thing ever. They could be Lifetime.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #251 on: July 27, 2009, 11:43:01 PM

Oz was awesome.  Of course I'm referring to:

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #252 on: July 28, 2009, 08:57:36 AM

The SciFi Oz was like the HBO Oz, except it was the audience that was assraped instead of the cast.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #253 on: July 28, 2009, 09:04:59 AM

I like the idea of a movie that is billed as a re-imagining but reveals as a sequel.  But yes, Tinman sucked.  DG and the witch are pretty hot so that helps a bit.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 10:23:05 AM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #254 on: July 28, 2009, 09:40:15 AM

I like idea of a movie that is billed as a re-imagining but revels as a sequel.  But yes, Tinman sucked. DG and the witch are pretty hot so that helps a bit.

The problem is that the re-imaginings are not imaginative anymore. They all follow the exact same formula: take kids classic, blow up the wink wink nudge nudge adult parts to ludicrous levels, slap a coat of 3dgy Goth crap on top of it. Sit back and watch the sorrow cows squeal about how dark and edgy and beautiful it is that Classic Character is wearing goggles or has a nose piercing.

American McGee and Tim Burton have done more harm to the arts than anyone in the world. Except Joss Whedon. Maybe.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #255 on: July 28, 2009, 10:08:36 AM

Oh my.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #256 on: July 28, 2009, 01:42:10 PM

Considering that the source material for most Tim Burton flicks is considered Adult, I do not think he has done any harm to the arts.

Disney was the one who took adult material and made it acceptable and accessible for children.  Perhaps you should be focusing on Disney's impact on the arts.

As for the Stargate franchise, I am interested to see how Stargate:Universe turns out.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
chargerrich
Terracotta Army

Reply #257 on: July 28, 2009, 02:00:22 PM

The SciFi Oz was like the HBO Oz, except it was the audience that was assraped instead of the cast.

+1 for making me lawl  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #258 on: July 28, 2009, 09:00:50 PM

American McGee and Tim Burton have done more harm to the arts than anyone in the world. Except Joss Whedon. Maybe.

Michael Bay and Stephen Sommers wipe their brows in relief.

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #259 on: July 29, 2009, 07:04:14 AM

It was pretty close but the secret rankings I have don't lie.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #260 on: August 05, 2009, 11:42:34 AM

UPDATE(sort of):

Hi all--quick update. A lot of people are on leave right now (including myself) but the guys showing the game to investors and upper management are all there trying daily to get us re-started.

My understanding is a significant portion of the funds have been raised, but it's one of those situations where everyone involved (us and the investors) want to make sure there's enough to cover all our needs. To be clear, let's say we need X million. If someone puts in $100,000 right now, that's great and much appreciated, but it doesn't get the game shipped and that investor would lose his money if the rest isn't raised in the long-term.

Needless to say, every single investor does substantial due diligence due to the delay of the game and negative press we've received. A significant number *have* pledged money on completion of their research into our books, however, so I find that very encouraging.

Otherwise, it's an ongoing process and there just won't be much news until then, but the day we return to full operations I'll let everyone know. In the meantime, thanks very much for your support and well-wishes.

Thanks

Shane

http://forums.stargateworlds.com/showthread.php?t=29655
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #261 on: August 05, 2009, 04:28:44 PM

Thanks. This is very important to those of us that like pouting and saying "goa'uld".

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #262 on: August 05, 2009, 05:09:25 PM

"indeed"

Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #263 on: August 06, 2009, 06:03:59 AM

Thanks. This is very important to those of us that like pouting and saying "goa'uld".

Im impressed you know how to spell that
Jerrith
Developers

Trion

Reply #264 on: August 06, 2009, 06:17:55 AM

Sounds like it's basically dead then.  Even if they get the money, SGW is going to miss its tech window, and appear dated to everything else that comes out at the same time. :(  Won't have a chance to be a Jaffa that always calls the stargate a Chapa'ai, yelling Kree all the time. ;-)

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #265 on: August 06, 2009, 06:24:11 AM

Either that or it'll run well on older computers.  That's not a bad thing.
Jerrith
Developers

Trion

Reply #266 on: August 06, 2009, 10:53:21 AM

Not a bad thing at all.  However, it had already been made with that in mind (running well on current "older" computers).  Go too far down in tech, and you'll have people opting to play the newer, shinier alternative instead.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #267 on: August 06, 2009, 08:53:47 PM

If it launched charging $10 a month for a sub it might have a shot at survival for a while.

Assuming it runs smoothly and is fun, of course. 

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #268 on: August 07, 2009, 01:12:30 AM

Why is this conversation bouncing back and forth as if there were a chance in hell of this being anything other than an unfinished trainwreck cobbled together by a company that's more of a fraud-scheme shell than a game development studio?

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #269 on: August 07, 2009, 01:45:29 AM

Why are most posts on this board lately about how others shouldn't be posting about something because its dumb?  I think that's always been this site's MO, but for some reason its grating on me recently. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #270 on: August 07, 2009, 01:57:49 AM

Why is this conversation bouncing back and forth as if there were a chance in hell of this being anything other than an unfinished trainwreck cobbled together by a company that's more of a fraud-scheme shell than a game development studio?

The alternative is that we talk about PvP in Aion. This topic at least has the chance of fun.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #271 on: August 07, 2009, 03:21:04 PM

Why are most posts on this board lately about how others shouldn't be posting about something because its dumb?  I think that's always been this site's MO, but for some reason its grating on me recently.

Posting about Stargate Galaxies or whatever the hell this is called isn't dumb. Pretending that there's a non-zero probability of it being something other than a turd is.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #272 on: August 07, 2009, 03:38:18 PM

And that's different from most other MMOGs in what way?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #273 on: August 22, 2009, 11:24:42 AM

CME gets some new funds, means they can probably launch SGW.

... or someone is going on a holiday to a non-extradition country, take your pick.

EDIT: Also, I found it interesting to see that Shane Hensley is Creative Director of CME where before he was just Lead Designer of one of CME's minor studios. And apparently Director of Business Development. Guess he must be one of the few senior people left and perhaps his other ventures provide enough income to live on since CME probably isn't paying him that much.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 11:27:18 AM by UnSub »

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #274 on: December 09, 2009, 08:49:45 PM

Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #275 on: December 09, 2009, 09:20:06 PM

Well that makes sense.

AKA Gyoza
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #276 on: December 10, 2009, 08:56:30 AM

I would grief my team by "penetrating" the gate with my staff throughout the whole match while replaying songs through I Am T-Pain over my mic.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #277 on: December 10, 2009, 09:45:45 AM

This game dropped off my radar some time ago and after the farce(sp) of a TV show that is Stargate Emoverse Ive lost a lot of interest in the Stargate thang.  Gimme some KOTOR
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #278 on: December 11, 2009, 11:11:41 AM

Eh, I still think that Stargate was a solid franchise for a MMORPG.

First off, it screams "instances". :) Second, there's enough lore and concepts there to make a lot of it a no-brainer.

Although, admittedly, I'd still want a Tok'Ra class where I could pretend to be Goa'uld until it was a perfect time to screw them over. Like...Sith done right. All the benefits of kitten-killing evil, PLUS the ability to backstab your supposed allies, and still claim to hold the moral high ground.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #279 on: December 11, 2009, 11:20:29 AM

It would also be one of the more easily expandable MMOs due to the nature of those instances.  Content could vary widely to introduce new themes pretty easily.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Cheyenne Mountain Death Watch  
Jump to: