Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:08:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: How can a US company do this on Thanksgiving day? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How can a US company do this on Thanksgiving day?  (Read 9334 times)
Pendan
Terracotta Army

on: December 01, 2008, 09:23:15 AM

How can a US company make an important announcement and start server transfers on Thanksgiving day? I was out of town on vacation and bet a lot of other people were too. I am in a large guild but have friends I have gamed with for many years in a small guild on the same server that was picked as a source server. After two days of transfers my friends were sitting on a near emptied server and chose to move. Now the large guild where I can find groups with at non-prime times and was enjoying playing with and my long time friends are on different servers.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 09:25:13 AM

End of Quarter waits for no one awesome, for real
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 09:30:08 AM

It's not a Holiday in Cambodia.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 09:40:21 AM

Welcome to the joys of free transfers to multiple destinations when they should have just merged servers as clusters.

Mergers would have kept your whole group together, instead they wanted entire alliances to wtfoverpopulate certain realms on certain servers thus enabling even more people to quit in frustration. Ahhhh the insanity of it all really makes you question senior EA Mythic choices and decisions.

schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 09:41:07 AM

I open my eyes
I try to see but I'm blinded by the white light.
I can’t remember how
I can’t remember why
I'm lying here tonight
And I can’t STAND the pain
And I can’t make it go away
No I can’t STAND the pain

*CHORUS*
How could this happen to me
I've made my mistakes
got nowhere to run
The night goes on as I’m fading away
I'm sick of this life
I just wanna scream

Everybody’s screaming
I try to make a sound but no one hears me
I’m slipping off the edge
I’m hanging by a thread
I wanna start this over again
So I try to hold
On to a time when
Nothing mattered
And I can’t explain
What happened and I can’t erase the things that I’ve done
No I can’t

*CHORUS*
I've made my mistakes
got nowhere to run
I’m sick of this life
I just wanna scream

I've made my mistakes
got nowhere to run
I’m sick of this life
I just wanna scream

I'm sure you can find a song to pair with this one at Livejournal or blogger.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 09:44:47 AM

Eh?

Presumably everyone being transferred had a couple of weeks to decide which server they'd be moved to or if they wanted to move. Then presumably there was a week or two's grace before the move while retards phoned CS to change their mind?

Right?.... 

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 09:56:23 AM

I may be wrong but they aren't announcing ahead of the time the servers that you can transfer off of. So they announce one batch, see what happens, then announce another batch, repeat ad nauseum (7 times so far). The latest batch was announced Nov 25, which isn't quite Thanksgiving Day but for those travelling or busy with Thanksgiving "stuff" it's possible they missed it.
khaine
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 09:59:09 AM

Eh?

Presumably everyone being transferred had a couple of weeks to decide which server they'd be moved to or if they wanted to move. Then presumably there was a week or two's grace before the move while retards phoned CS to change their mind?

Right?.... 

His point was it was a stupid time to suddenly spring it , anyone with common sense would know most folks would be busy with family that and following days , those wanting to play though wouldnt want to wait days to transfer

Thus they guaranteed the splintering of guilds worse than normal by picking the timeframe they did

Of course with the over the top stupid decisions Mythic has made so far , this shouldn't be a surprise at all
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 10:11:12 AM

Lots of things you can blame Mythic for. This really isn't one of them. I sat around on my thumbs not giving a shit and still  managed to take the 3 minutes to transfer my toons to a new server. It's not like information was obscured about this situation.

Protip: When you hate on a company, make sure it's for good reason, otherwise you look like an asshole.
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 10:15:38 AM

True schild... but mergers were their best bet. To save face PR wise they decided just to allow seven different iterations of transfers opening up a whole slew of new problems: (yes, many of which were avoidable by paying half attention to what folks were doing, some were just unfortunate circumstances)

-Splintering of guilds. (user error)
-Accidental transfers to the wrong realm. (user error)
-Huge imbalances on transfers. (did they even monitor how many of each side transferred to a certain server??)
-Bouncing server to server because destination servers died turning them into source servers.

All of this just complicated the whole deal. The easiest solution would have been take like low/low servers with closely balanced populations and merge them. This would give med/med's then keep doing them till they had a settled population dwell there for longer then a month.

Edit: Sorry schild, I run on sentences like shit.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 10:32:22 AM by Bismallah »
khaine
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 10:21:04 AM

Lots of things you can blame Mythic for. This really isn't one of them. I sat around on my thumbs not giving a shit and still  managed to take the 3 minutes to transfer my toons to a new server. It's not like information was obscured about this situation.

Protip: When you hate on a company, make sure it's for good reason, otherwise you look like an asshole.

I can say it was a stupid idea to start a new round the day before Thanksgiving , when a large portion of the players are traveling and some , gasp , not around a computer

They could even give a heads up a couple days in advance , a "hey we are going to open up transfers in a few days for your server and here are your options" , this would give time for guilds to actually try and move together

So , yeah , I can say their transfer system is fairly stupid and blame them for managing it piss poor when it would be very easy to have done better , and I am an asshole too ,

schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 10:25:03 AM

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, do either of you have a fucking period on your keyboard? COMEON!

Also, commas don't get a space before them, like so, see, get it? Good.

Now that housekeeping is out of the way: I disagree with what you said. Anyone who wanted to move their characters had ample notification and time to do so. I'm not seeing the problem. Stop hating for the sake of hating.

d4rkj3di
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 10:33:07 AM

How can a US company make an important announcement and start server transfers on Thanksgiving day? I was out of town on vacation and bet a lot of other people were too. I am in a large guild but have friends I have gamed with for many years in a small guild on the same server that was picked as a source server. After two days of transfers my friends were sitting on a near emptied server and chose to move. Now the large guild where I can find groups with at non-prime times and was enjoying playing with and my long time friends are on different servers.

Thank you. It's Monday morning and I really needed a joke link to get motivated. You were it.

Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 10:33:47 AM

Fixed... sorry about that.
khaine
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 10:44:19 AM

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, do either of you have a fucking period on your keyboard? COMEON!

Also, commas don't get a space before them, like so, see, get it? Good.

Now that housekeeping is out of the way: I disagree with what you said. Anyone who wanted to move their characters had ample notification and time to do so. I'm not seeing the problem. Stop hating for the sake of hating.

Easy example,

Chaos Waste Open-RP server brought up for transfer, they offer transfers to CORE and Open servers , but NO RP servers.

Mythic is a fuckup all around , please justify how they offer transfers off a RP server but not to any other RP servers.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 10:46:31 AM

Eh?

Right?.... 

You know, unless you transfered onto Averheim, expecting an Order lovefest, only to have transfers off of it a few weeks later.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: December 01, 2008, 11:26:35 AM

I can say it was a stupid idea to start a new round the day before Thanksgiving

A challenge easily solved by your guild not moving in this round.

Or by you starting an alt to play on the new server for two fricking weeks until you get to follow them. You all keep complaining that starting alts is fun. MYTHIC IS FORCING YOU TO HAVE FUN. OH NOES.

This sub-forum has easily the greatest number of stupid whines in it of any mmog that f13 has ever been temporarily transfixed by. Which is bizarre, given the number of actual problems worth discussing.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Pendan
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: December 01, 2008, 12:15:46 PM

Anyone who wanted to move their characters had ample notification and time to do so.
You know the government opens up reserved military flight paths for commercial use the entire Thanksgiving week for a reason. Half my office was on vacation.
d4rkj3di
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: December 01, 2008, 02:42:14 PM

Half my office was on vacation.
The other half were moving their characters. Weep in greater quantities.

Oh, and before you post again, think about the fact that you started a VN / WHA quality thread in order to clean the sand out of your vagina over the fact that a company that does not give 2 shits about you past your demographics and credit card number dared to do something that did not coincide with your personal schedule.

Get the fuck over yourself, you are not a unique and beautiful snowflake and shit does not stop if you aren't involved.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 02:46:37 PM by d4rkj3di »
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: December 01, 2008, 03:18:01 PM

Get the fuck over yourself, you are not a unique and beautiful snowflake and shit does not stop if you aren't involved.

That shit was amusing five years ago when someone else said it.  Please to be coming up with your own schtick.  Please to be less of a egregious cockmunch until you do so.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: December 01, 2008, 04:24:57 PM

No, that shit is still funny when played at the right moment.

And that was the right moment.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: December 01, 2008, 04:29:31 PM

Considering Mythic is hemoraging customers, even if it would be fairly easy for the customers to move, it's not a bright idea on their part to announce and start this round of transfers the second busiest travel period of the year.  Yes, waa, waa.  They're not in a position they can afford to piss off anyone for any reason.  Mythic still loses.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #22 on: December 01, 2008, 05:39:23 PM

Mythic doesn't understand its players. News at 11.

But that's only because the players are doing it wrong.

Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: December 01, 2008, 10:08:36 PM

[...] started a VN / WHA quality thread in order to clean the sand out of your vagina [...]

That shit chafes.

Man, that's a load of crock:

Who could have predicted that contrary to the massive Alliance/Horde imbalance, WAR would feature the exact opposite?
Who could have predicted that in a game that starts at level one, rather than at the cap, players would STILL race towards the end regardless of anything around them, and do so in the most grind-like manner?

Does this guy live under a rock?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 10:11:56 PM by Sophismata »

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #24 on: December 02, 2008, 08:18:09 PM

He lives under a rock where WAR is only a patch away from being awesome.

I find it interesting that a lot of the hard core WAR bloggers, the ones who went nuts over every announcement, have started to stop posting or to move away from WAR. Some have even starting blogging about WoW!  ACK! It's a sign of how far short this title fell from expectations.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: December 04, 2008, 04:36:06 PM

Is WAR really more than a patch away from being awesome?  (not a patch that we expect to happen, but could you not design a WAR patch that would make it awesome?)

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: December 04, 2008, 06:01:42 PM

Of course, but since they'll do anything but change the Tier 3 grind, it doesn't matter.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #27 on: December 05, 2008, 11:58:55 AM

The game never ran well on my system, and as time goes on it becomes more and more obvious that my intentions to make a speculative return after 6 months will probably never come to pass.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: December 05, 2008, 05:46:40 PM

Of course, but since they'll do anything but change the Tier 3 grind, it doesn't matter.

That's the root cause to me as well.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: How can a US company do this on Thanksgiving day?  
Jump to: