Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:18:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Avatar 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Avatar  (Read 176098 times)
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #735 on: July 09, 2010, 03:13:32 PM

So you are saying that by using overly brutal means to wipe out an entire city of a society that has zero ways to stop it is not something that should elicit an emotional response?

Remove the slowmo, remove the dramatic music, and you still would have something that humans should be reacting to.

I cried when Optimus Prime died.  sad

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #736 on: July 10, 2010, 04:41:28 AM

I cried when Optimus Prime died.  sad

I'm with you there brother! Watching Ironhide and Prowl and all those guys get blown away was shocking, but Prime biting it (in the first act no less) was some universe-shaking shit for a kid.

So you are saying that by using overly brutal means to wipe out an entire city of a society that has zero ways to stop it is not something that should elicit an emotional response?

It elicited an emotional response from me. Namely disappointment that they didn't drop an asteroid on it.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #737 on: July 10, 2010, 07:31:46 PM

Dances with wolves won an oscar, but it was also boring as hell.  I'm not even the biggest avatar fan, hell I only saw it once but dances with wolves was not a great movie.  Go back, re-watch it.

You know what? I did rewatch Dances With Wolves. I actually went and got a considered opinion of my own, instead of being an internet asshole.

Unlike Avatar, it's a great movie. Unexpectedly, I enjoyed rewatching Dances With Wolves. It deserved the awards. Please use the space below to make me look more uncool.
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #738 on: July 10, 2010, 09:18:49 PM

I like Dances with Wolves. I may even think it's great. What's wrong with it?

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #739 on: July 10, 2010, 09:47:52 PM

If you think DwW deserved Best Picture over Goodfellas you are nuts.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #740 on: July 16, 2010, 11:15:12 AM

So I Netflixed this and am almost done watching it.  It's not as bad as I thought it would be, although I'm glad I didn't have to watch it in a single sitting in a theater because it's looong. 

The Navi remind me of big blue Mudokons, and make me think there needs to be an Oddworld movie.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #741 on: July 16, 2010, 11:19:24 AM

I can't imagine watching it outside of a theater. The whole point to the movie was the 3d. As has been repeated (endlessly) the movie isn't a big deal other than that.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #742 on: July 16, 2010, 11:21:17 AM

You can put me down in the "Liked Dances with Wolves" category.  It was a good movie!

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #743 on: July 16, 2010, 03:55:56 PM

This movie ending pissed me off royally.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #744 on: July 17, 2010, 09:13:12 PM

Whyzat?

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #745 on: July 18, 2010, 06:43:52 AM

Can we stop talking about this shitty, shitty movie?
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #746 on: July 18, 2010, 12:10:19 PM

This movie ending pissed me off royally.
Quote from: WindupAtheist
Whyzat?
Quote from: DLRiley
                    ^^^

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #747 on: July 18, 2010, 02:41:50 PM

Whyzat?
Really the hollywood happy ending was making me shake my head. I was waiting for someone to nuke the planet from orbit...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 05:08:32 PM by DLRiley »
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #748 on: July 18, 2010, 05:07:15 PM

That part of the ending didn't make any sense to me either.  We got really lucky and defeated these stooges of the incredibly evil and greedy corporation so now they'll go away and leave us alone forever!  They wouldn't POSSIBLY come back better-prepared and blow all our shit up so they can get the incredibly valuable moon rocks!  That would just be WRONG of them!

Unless there was some bit of dialogue I missed in there that explained how now that the planet's "woken up" it can bat offensive ships out of orbit, or how now the unobtanium is worthless for some reason, or how people back on Earth found out what these shitheels were up to and their entire board has been executed as a result.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #749 on: July 18, 2010, 07:03:21 PM

It is called "leaving room for a sequel," duh.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #750 on: July 18, 2010, 07:34:26 PM

It is called "leaving room for a sequel," duh.

Cameron's gotta sell Burger King collector's glasses and 3-D specs somehow! Made with an industry fueled by oil, oil taken by corporations and militaries from less 'advanced' cultures... oh wait.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #751 on: September 12, 2010, 12:13:20 PM

Posting this just because I love Werner Hertzog.  In an interview about a bunch of stuff including his upcoming 3D film:

Q: As of now, of course, the most famous 3-D movie is Avatar…

A: I admire the achievements, the technical achievements, but the film is an abomination because of its New Age schlock and bullshit.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #752 on: September 17, 2010, 07:20:40 AM

Hey Hertzog, don't make James Cameron roll off his pile of cash to deal with you.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #753 on: September 17, 2010, 02:49:05 PM

I'm sure Werner could handle Cameron. Dude doesn't even stop interviews when he is shot in the middle of them.

-H.L. Mencken
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #754 on: September 17, 2010, 06:20:48 PM

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Avatar  
Jump to: