Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:09:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Avatar 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Avatar  (Read 177437 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #700 on: May 11, 2010, 04:28:41 PM

Caught part of this on blu-ray at Sam's Club this weekend while picking up some detergent and other bulk staples.   If you didn't see it in 3d I pity you, because it looked like ass in 2d, even on the giant 240hz TVs.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #701 on: May 11, 2010, 08:33:46 PM

If you didn't see it in 3d I pity you

cool

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #702 on: May 12, 2010, 02:15:20 AM

That's a relief, I was afraid I was going to have to Netflix it just to see what the fuss was about.  It sounds like I'm better off just forgetting it ever existed.  As everyone else will the next time a 3D movie comes out that isn't slapped-together ass on a stick.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #703 on: May 12, 2010, 07:59:53 AM

I haven't looked, but are a lot of "Avatar"'s DVD reviews realising how ordinary this film is without 3D?

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #704 on: May 12, 2010, 08:38:44 AM

I'm sure they are.  I saw it again on Dvd the other day and I wasn't too impressed.  I would pay to see it in 3d Imax again though.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #705 on: May 12, 2010, 09:15:44 AM

Its still beautiful in 2D, however 3D push's it over to incredibly awesome and extremely more epic.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #706 on: May 12, 2010, 03:28:53 PM

It loses a lot, though.  And I mean A LOT... particularly if you're picky about plastic-looking CGI bipeds.  The 3-d effect in the theater gave enough of a softness/ blur to the Navi that I didn't notice.  However, on a 54" LCD it was very, very apparent.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #707 on: May 22, 2010, 01:12:34 AM

I just saw this.  This movie is Dances with Wolves with a half hour cut out of it.  It's pretty much the exact same thing, except in this there's the vacuum of space in between factions, and so the guys with sticks get to win this time.  Basically, I'm saying this is an average story with a billion dollars worth of cgi heaped on top of it.  Quite frankly, if I was Kevin Costner, I'd be pissed.  Then I'd look at my Oscars and lol.

AKA Gyoza
Zetleft
Terracotta Army

Reply #708 on: May 22, 2010, 04:25:32 PM

I still like the movie and the 3d was really well done but it really is just the same story in a new skin. 

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #709 on: May 22, 2010, 04:56:18 PM

My question is, who cares? Is anything original anymore? Off the top of my head. "wolfman" "ironman" "a-team" "batman" "predators" and that's just with 20 seconds of thought.  You could list half the movies in a year as being unoriginal, maybe more.

Good movies don't have to be original ones.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Zetleft
Terracotta Army

Reply #710 on: May 22, 2010, 05:46:07 PM

As long as the goal is to only make good movies and not great ones then yes originality is wholely unneccesary.  But this is hollywood so actually it doesn't even have to be good as long as it sells.  Yes I realise this is not even an original statement on Hollywood but that doesn't mean it should not be pointed out when it's so blatant. 

As I said I liked the movie in spite of all this so I'm part of the problem :p
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #711 on: May 22, 2010, 06:29:59 PM

I don't know if Avatar is going for originality.  I do know that when I see a movie as heavily promoted as this one and it turns out that Kevin Costner - who I hold in no high esteem - has already made (he directed it) a better version of the movie you're selling, you've pretty much failed in my eyes.  Obviously succeeding in my eyes costs you close to a billion dollars.  I'm aware.  I didn't like Titanic either.

I will admit Avatar was pretty though.

AKA Gyoza
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #712 on: May 22, 2010, 06:55:21 PM

Dances with wolves won an oscar, but it was also boring as hell.  I'm not even the biggest avatar fan, hell I only saw it once but dances with wolves was not a great movie.  Go back, re-watch it.

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #713 on: May 22, 2010, 07:25:27 PM

I wouldn't call Avatar unoriginal. That's too tame. It's Cameron rattling off the Successful Movie Formula. Which is (IMO) why it was so sucessful and panned for it's story anyway. And not just CBG nerdranting. Everyone knows Avatar was a boring story, on some level.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #714 on: May 22, 2010, 09:48:28 PM

Dances with wolves won an oscar, but it was also boring as hell.  I'm not even the biggest avatar fan, hell I only saw it once but dances with wolves was not a great movie.  Go back, re-watch it.

Oh, Dances With Wolves sucks ass.  I couldn't agree more.  But it's a better movie than Avatar in every quantifiable way, except special effects.

AKA Gyoza
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #715 on: May 23, 2010, 12:33:59 AM

Mere mention of Dances With Wolves makes me burn with the rage of Tommy DiVito.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 01:30:04 AM by Abagadro »

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #716 on: May 24, 2010, 09:46:23 AM

My question is, who cares? Is anything original anymore? Off the top of my head. "wolfman" "ironman" "a-team" "batman" "predators" and that's just with 20 seconds of thought.  You could list half the movies in a year as being unoriginal, maybe more.

No. Originality is not a requirement, and I actually think it's overrated. But even if it's unoriginal, it needs to be INTERESTING, or at the least ENTERTAINING. Without the 3D, Avatar was neither of these things. It also had plot holes you could drive a knife-wielding mech through.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #717 on: May 24, 2010, 09:58:34 AM

Mere mention of Dances With Wolves makes me burn with the rage of Tommy DiVito.

Tommy DiVito?  Who's that?  Is he some sort of clown?
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #718 on: May 26, 2010, 07:57:22 AM

No. Originality is not a requirement, and I actually think it's overrated. But even if it's unoriginal, it needs to be INTERESTING, or at the least ENTERTAINING. Without the 3D, Avatar was neither of these things. It also had plot holes you could drive a knife-wielding mech through.

Yet you loved the way Lost ended!
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #719 on: May 26, 2010, 08:49:56 AM

Ba-zing!

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #720 on: May 26, 2010, 09:13:59 AM

Yet you loved the way Lost ended!

And?

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #721 on: May 26, 2010, 09:53:57 AM

The comparison needs to be explained?   awesome, for real
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #722 on: May 26, 2010, 11:42:36 AM

I loved Red Steel too. You wanna make something of that too?

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #723 on: May 26, 2010, 12:21:11 PM

I never played it.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #724 on: May 26, 2010, 02:22:52 PM

I go away for a bit. I come back. I find that Haemish is still one of the voices of sanity here.

All is right with the world.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #725 on: May 28, 2010, 04:22:32 PM

I go away for a bit. I come back. I find that Haemish is still one of the voices of sanity here.

All is right with the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca9GuwuOVZc

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #726 on: June 01, 2010, 07:42:25 PM

Well done.   awesome, for real
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #727 on: July 08, 2010, 06:41:49 AM

Finally saw this;  It was ok.  Almost Good.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #728 on: July 08, 2010, 08:11:56 PM

I had my second viewing over 4th of July weekend. Mom wanted to see it, and there was nothing more interesting to do, so I watched it too.

The native american tropes really grated on my nerves. "Apache Chief, INYUK-CHUK!" I know it's a movie, and having the Na'vi act like a human culture is just mass media sci-fi, but it still grated.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Yoshimaru
Terracotta Army

Reply #729 on: July 09, 2010, 04:01:53 AM

For those who missed it the first time around, it's being re-released on Aug 27th with additional scenes.

Twentieth Century Fox is to release "Avatar: Special Edition" in theaters worldwide on Aug. 27 in a limited engagement and exclusively in Digital 3D and Imax 3D, the studio announced Thursday. The version will include more than eight minutes of extra footage including new creatures and action scenes.

I'm hoping I can catch it in Imax this time, although that will mean traveling a minimum of 2 hours. If you haven't seen it yet, this is the perfect time (or... wait until the re-re-release in a year).
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #730 on: July 09, 2010, 06:20:27 AM

A friend of mine has two children, he took them to see this movie. Apparently, during the great tree destruction scene, they both broke into tears.

Adults are broken and desensitized.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #731 on: July 09, 2010, 07:29:45 AM

A friend of mine has two children, he took them to see this movie. Apparently, during the great tree destruction scene, they both broke into tears.

And also smart enough to realize that the whole scene was contrived to the point of being absurd.

I'll say it this way, the scene was designed to jerk tears out of people with childlike mentalities.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #732 on: July 09, 2010, 07:39:13 AM

And also smart enough to realize that the whole scene was contrived to the point of being absurd.

I'll say it this way, the scene was designed to jerk tears out of people with childlike mentalities.

So you are saying that by using overly brutal means to wipe out an entire city of a society that has zero ways to stop it is not something that should elicit an emotional response?

Remove the slowmo, remove the dramatic music, and you still would have something that humans should be reacting to.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 07:42:48 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #733 on: July 09, 2010, 08:29:04 AM

It's an old trope, that doesn't mean it needs to be put on a shelf and never used again.  No one is arguing that this isn't basically 'dances with smurfs' the thing is that there's no such movie like that for a generation or two and that's what makes this one so powerful(to many) a lot of people haven't been exposed to that tired old trope, so it resonates with them.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #734 on: July 09, 2010, 08:37:14 AM

Remove the slowmo, remove the dramatic music, and you still would have something that humans should be reacting to.

Maybe they would if it hadn't been done in such a ham-fisted, obvious, moustache-twirling way. You know, if the story or characters had any depth whatsoever, or offered any surprises at all.

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Avatar  
Jump to: