Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:20:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: 1.0.5 & 1.0.6 & the PTS (Deathsword) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1.0.5 & 1.0.6 & the PTS (Deathsword)  (Read 54696 times)
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: November 19, 2008, 07:35:50 PM

No invite here. I was almost convinced that the test server stuff was a ploy, and they wouldn't actually be running one.

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #36 on: November 20, 2008, 08:13:05 AM

I'm on the test server, now with access to the test forum.

Narrow discussions as per beta. They only want feedback/bug reports on class mechanics.

Edit: Wasn't clear I was talking about the forum.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 08:41:46 AM by Jherad »
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: November 21, 2008, 03:48:21 AM

Glorious, the secret Pendragon boards are back  awesome, for real

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: November 21, 2008, 07:16:58 AM

Glorious, the secret Pendragon boards are back  awesome, for real

We all know how well those worked  ACK!

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: November 21, 2008, 09:02:13 AM

Not so secret now, are they?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: November 21, 2008, 09:17:27 AM

I 'think' the test forum is the same as the old beta forum, just split with an elder/tester side. Their beta forum is still there and you can see people logged in from Mythic, if you had access try it. You'll see the Mythic folks along the bottom who are logged in somewhere on that forum...
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #41 on: November 21, 2008, 11:02:21 AM

There are two forums that I'm aware of. A 'super secret' one (ie. the old beta forums), which I can't access any more, but can see active users at the bottom of the page. And the new public test forums, not so secret, no NDA, about 2.7k members (still invite only).

Vast majority of people are 'testing' the two new classes in T1. There were about 6 people in Order tier 4 testing old classes last night.
Brennik
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: November 22, 2008, 12:39:11 PM

Because class balance isn't their biggest problem right now.  Other than huge, glaring balance changes (which they bizarrely seemed to get backwards anyways), they don't need to be looking at it at all for the moment.  They need to focus on the bits causing customers to not log in.

Well, class balance is the biggest problem I and my guild has with the game. I can take all the little bugs and glitches, hell, I can even abide the server crashes whenever we try to take T4 forts, but I can easily name 20 people who quit just because they can't fix some classes fast enough. I dunno, in my books all they'd need would be to apply some small nerfs to BWs (stop debuffs from stacking, fix Playing with Fire like they're gonna, and just flat out remove the debuff from Boiling Blood or give it a longer casting time) and buffs to SH/SW and a *ton* of people would be happier.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #43 on: November 22, 2008, 03:20:11 PM

Maybe start a vn thread about it.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #44 on: November 22, 2008, 05:46:06 PM

you mean with overpowered classes you'd still login to an empty rvr zone trading keeps with a similiarly sized warband and then try to zone control things, culminating into a crashed fortress run?

well done. you are truly a devoted customer.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Brennik
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: November 23, 2008, 12:25:58 AM

Ok, that came out a bit wrong and does sound VN-worthy...

But that's how the downhill started at least for the people I know, nobody could be arsed to log in because they felt the game wasn't "fair". Mind you, this was mainly before anyone had even gotten to T4 and discovered all the crap plaguing the endgame. It's kinda sad now that I think about it, I still log in and play instead of all the crap, because I can avoid doing the stuff that's broken.

Guess I should've worded it like: "Mythic should've worried about some of the glaring balance problems first and then start fixing the 20-30 grind and the endgame." And they should've started it three weeks ago, now it's a bit late.

Warskull
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: November 23, 2008, 03:10:23 AM

i duno man, someone said Melee DPS gets fucked in this game, and they are right.
Yes yes they ignore armour and has bleed, flanking, stealth and all that shit.

but do they have BW mobility and instant aoe dots. Didn't think so.
i tried this with their mirror class , Sorcerer and could not feel the 'mobility dps' that my BW used to have.
I had to sit on my butt waiting for 2 sec cast time and shuffle ass before another arrow / witch hunter poke my ass.

It depends on your side, melee DPS is extremely powerful in this game.  Order just gets bad melee DPS.  Destruction gets the marauder who is absolutely insane and the witch elf who can kill Iron Breakers in seconds.  If MDPS tries to play ranged stand off with Bright Wizards of course they lose.  It is also easier to play as ranged DPS than MDPS.  However, properly coordinated MDPS just tear things up at a ridiculous rate.  Move in, use mouth of tzeentch to put a 2s disorient on all the casters and then go nuts.

Sorcs are underestimated too.  They can't run and dot like a bright wizard, but they get some really good team support in return.

Order is extremely BW heavy because for the most part their offensive classes are inferior to destro or just plain suck.  You really only want to field Iron Breakers, BW's, and healers (AM or RP.)
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: November 23, 2008, 04:46:26 AM

However, properly coordinated MDPS just tear things up at a ridiculous rate.  Move in, use mouth of tzeentch to put a 2s disorient on all the casters and then go nuts.
[...]
Order is extremely BW heavy because for the most part their offensive classes are inferior to destro or just plain suck.  You really only want to field Iron Breakers, BW's, and healers (AM or RP.)

Both of these points are true, and Mythic seem to know the former well. They are being very careful when messing with the MDPS archetypes. Kudos there.

Checked out the test forums today; the whining, bitching and rampant idiocy in there is disheartening. I don't know how Mythic intend to get any sort of decent feedback, even with the heavy focus 'testing' they're enforcing.

The class feedback threads, in particular, are full of people bitching about irrelevant crap instead of focusing on playability, bugs, and the impact of the patch changes. And you also get this weird class bias that seems to plague MMORPG's.

The stuff that breeds such wonderful lines as, "you just want your class to be better than all the rest", and so-on.

Anyway, my current guess for the future is that Mythic are gonna patch the careers up a bit with 1.0.6, and then start focusing on their RvR and end-game problems up to 1.1, where they'll probably run another balance pass. It'll be interesting to see what happens, at any rate.

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #48 on: November 23, 2008, 04:53:21 AM

Anyway, my current guess for the future is that Mythic are gonna patch the careers up a bit with 1.0.6, and then start focusing on their RvR and end-game problems up to 1.1, where they'll probably run another balance pass. It'll be interesting to see what happens, at any rate.

I think MJ will balance classes based on percentage of people playing them, he does love his spreadsheets based on his leveling spreadsheet comment.  I'd expect underplayed classes to get boosted and the most popular classes to get heavily nerfed.  He's got a real penis envy thing going on with Blizzard and as he can't hurt Blizzard that makes it far more likely he will take his frustration out on the remaining players.
tolakram
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: November 23, 2008, 05:00:33 AM

"Mythic should've worried about some of the glaring balance problems first and then start fixing the 20-30 grind and the endgame."

Everyone has their opinion on class balance and fair.  In my opinion it may be the excuse given but it's not the real reason.  People don't quit fun, even if it's imbalanced.

rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: November 23, 2008, 05:50:36 AM

Yeah wanted to say that too. People here didn't quit at T3 because of imbalanced classes. Heck, schild was happy with his Shadow Warrior but got tired of looking for the fun factor. Reading up the End game raid sets was disheartening too and there was no hint of changing direction at all with all their enthusiastic announcement of 'Sets to kill X instance, and Y sets to tackle Z higher tier instance' grab bag content.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: November 23, 2008, 09:00:40 AM

It's okay, because they're looking at the long term.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Gurney
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: November 23, 2008, 09:36:25 AM

"Mythic should've worried about some of the glaring balance problems first and then start fixing the 20-30 grind and the endgame."

Everyone has their opinion on class balance and fair.  In my opinion it may be the excuse given but it's not the real reason.  People don't quit fun, even if it's imbalanced.

Too much imbalance will make a game not fun.  However the trick is in the "too much".  Rift/magnet was too much.  It was just flat out stupid.  But there is so much noise about balance and fairness in general that I rarely put much stock into it until it is obviously "too much".

It is true.  If its mostly fun and even if say the RDPS have an advantage in T4 like they seem too I doubt you would get a mass exodus.  Not until you get just obviously bad stuff like Rift/Magnet.  Then you can have a serious problem.

Even IWAY in Guild Wars did not do what Rift/Magnet was doing.  People thought it was cheap, but they knew good Spike or Pressure teams would demolish IWAY farmers.  Rift/Magnet is the sort of thing that just invalidates your whole combat system.

Balance is one of those things that is always bitched about and rarely is ever acting on.  But when it is acted on it is a HUGE effect.  If it becomes bad enough that people do actualu do something it essentially invalidates the whole game.
Brennik
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: November 24, 2008, 08:26:00 AM

I agree with Gurney, too much imbalance makes the game fun. But yea, having thought about the situation more, I guess it's not the class balance itself that makes the game suck and gets people to stop playing. It's probably more about hitting lvl 20, the leveling slowing to a grind and then you get Tor Anroc thrown at you to top it all off.

In other news... Was at a keep capture at Kadrin Valley yesterday and the server didn't crash! Either they're doing something right or the number are dwindling down so the zones can handle the load.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #54 on: November 24, 2008, 11:26:17 AM

Keeps are fine, it's the fortress capture that's causing the problems.
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: November 24, 2008, 11:32:07 AM

Well apparently MJ is back from his EA GM meetings and plans to release a major update on plans for WAR ORvR

http://vnboards.ign.com/warhammer_online_age_of_reckoning_general_board/b22997/109537345/p1/?0

<shrug>
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: November 24, 2008, 11:34:03 AM

You give me... promises promises. 

After 6 years in DAoC, I'm not holding my breath. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: November 24, 2008, 11:38:18 AM

At this point, if I were Mark Jacobs I just let WAR ride and start working hard on Origins. Change a few things to keep his core player base from ditching (when nearly half+ of his subs are already gone and not coming back).

If DAOC is still proprietary to Mythic exclusively he could stand to turn a pretty penny... but I am not sure if it's part of EA now or what. I dunno how those buy outs work. Then again he'd kill WAR if he releases Origins now.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: November 24, 2008, 11:40:09 AM

Origins is the only thing I have left to look forward to.  I think that the release of Origins would cripple WAR populations.  For that reason alone, we won't be seeing Origins anytime soon... at least not until Spring 09 or later.

-  Mark Twain
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: November 24, 2008, 11:52:40 AM

Yeah, I tried to ask, heh. I am sure it will get modded out.

Since the game would basically compete for the same subscribers at this point. It would be funny though if DAOC remained proprietary to Mythic Entertainment and they see that WAR is tanking so they release Origins to salvage some playerbase back. Sure EA would be pissed but whatever...
khaine
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: November 24, 2008, 12:54:19 PM

Honestly , how many of these has he done now ? And what has dramatically changed at all ?

For the past two months I've seen them come up with moronic proposed changes , that they then say they aren't going to implement because they "listened" , and then a rinse and repeat

I just get Deja Vu from this post of his , sounds a lot like his "just wait till you see our next patch" speeches he's given the past month , which then of course changed little to nothing

Realistically , I don't see him/Mythic grasping just how dramatic and immediate changes are needed , instead to again see just how isolated they are from real world playing

Could be wrong but my bet's on "We know Open RvR is important and are working on it and you will see X in 1.07b patch to start with"

With X= not a damn thing that actually changes or matters
waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: November 24, 2008, 12:56:30 PM

I hope they change contribution too!

I'm tired of busting my ass to take a keep only to have some random scrub who didn't do shit win the gold bag.

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
tolakram
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: November 24, 2008, 12:59:02 PM

1.1 is still on the way, that's the patch that promised big oRvR changes.  Until we see the patch notes why bother hanging on every word ... besides that fact it's fun and a great time killer.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
khaine
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: November 24, 2008, 01:05:21 PM

1.1 is still on the way, that's the patch that promised big oRvR changes.  Until we see the patch notes why bother hanging on every word ... besides that fact it's fun and a great time killer.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Because MJ brings it upon himself , he descends from the clouds to the VN boards to announce an announcement , to pimp a future patch in hopes of stopping the bleeding while never admitting the bleeding it going on and so on

I'll admit I haven't seen a dev hang himself so much repeatedly since McQuaid days , although MJ does it differently , in a period of a couple months he's made statements that hang himself more and more , and just when you think he would have learned his lesson he continues to do it

And yes , his antics and ego are more fun than the game is currently, and the fact that the gushing on the VN boards  when he appears gets even more zealot like every time is equally amusing ,

I think when he's just got reamed by some EA corporate guy or having a bad day overall , he knows to just sit down and make a post on there and watch the worship begin

Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #64 on: November 24, 2008, 01:06:16 PM

I bet he's going to talk about the new orvr influence system (aka a new cockgrind), he'll maybe promise the items are itemised correctly.  
Best case, keeps are getting turned into orvr pq's with rewards for defending.
Worse case, a new tier of required armour sets to advance with nothing said about making keep defence matter.

Is there a cancel button for subscriptions in the US, how's it work exactly?  Just wondering if he had two months worth of subscription retention information before his meetings in LA.  He really needs to pull a rabbit out of the hat or he might as well start talking about future improvements to UO.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: November 24, 2008, 01:36:59 PM

I bet he's going to talk about the new orvr influence system (aka a new cockgrind), he'll maybe promise the items are itemised correctly.  
Best case, keeps are getting turned into orvr pq's with rewards for defending.
Worse case, a new tier of required armour sets to advance with nothing said about making keep defence matter.

Is there a cancel button for subscriptions in the US, how's it work exactly?  Just wondering if he had two months worth of subscription retention information before his meetings in LA.  He really needs to pull a rabbit out of the hat or he might as well start talking about future improvements to UO.

from VN Board
This is why I still play Warhammer. You simply do not get this kind of interaction with other mmo's on a regular basis.

No doubt there are big problems in Warhammer, but there is exciting progress on getting it (in all honesty) where it should of been on release.

Keep up the good work, and you will keep getting my $$.

swamp poop he loves paying money to have devs pimping patch notes on unofficial forum. Jeeez.

Driakos
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: November 24, 2008, 01:40:56 PM

If we're making guesses...  I'm going to guess that a No Scenario server is proposed.  Again.  Because then players will RvR right?

oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #67 on: November 24, 2008, 02:27:36 PM

You give me... promises promises. 

After 6 years in DAoC, I'm not holding my breath. 

It continually reminds me of the first few months after DAoC's release. There were repeated postings from Mark about how they were working on itemizing dungeons, guild halls, houses and personal mounts. The personal mounts thing was big for me. He promised that over and over again for months (which eventually turned into years).

I'm just not buying it this time. Too little, too late.

tolakram
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: November 24, 2008, 02:33:30 PM

It continually reminds me of the first few months after DAoC's release. There were repeated postings from Mark about how they were working on itemizing dungeons, guild halls, houses and personal mounts. The personal mounts thing was big for me. He promised that over and over again for months (which eventually turned into years).

I'm just not buying it this time. Too little, too late.

promises
broken promises
vn flame
stops posting

We'll see.  I'm not making a decision till I see the contents of 1.1
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: November 24, 2008, 02:40:24 PM

...Is there a cancel button for subscriptions in the US, how's it work exactly?  Just wondering if he had two months worth of subscription retention information before his meetings in LA.  He really needs to pull a rabbit out of the hat or he might as well start talking about future improvements to UO.

Yes, hit cancel and it tells you that you have canceled but that you can play the remaining time on your sub.  It works, however I am  broken and instead of staying canceled after the first month finished I reupped for 3 months.  I have something like 58 days left in my sub, I may even log in again sometime before it expires.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: 1.0.5 & 1.0.6 & the PTS (Deathsword)  
Jump to: