Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:03:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS] 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  (Read 1108422 times)
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #70 on: June 09, 2009, 08:30:45 AM

Not only was she the ugly one, she was the most annoying one on top of that. I mean come on!

You cannot blame that on the actress, though. The writers made her the "mom" of the three sisters.

I have never played WoW.
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: June 09, 2009, 10:53:00 AM

I completely blame her for being ugly.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #72 on: June 09, 2009, 11:35:11 AM

I blame both her and the writers for her work on that show. She was the oldest one so she had to be the "leader" but she didn't have to sound annoying and condescending with every line she uttered. Never once did I find the character sympathic, likable, or remotely agreeable, and that falls entirely on the actress consdering she's one of the heroines.

And yeah, she's not great to look at either. There are a thousand other ways to go with actresses that can actually act, would look like the actual character, and weren't already type-cast due to 8 seasons on the same TV show. It won't be Holly Combs playing Catelyn Stark. It will be Piper running around the world of Westeros, pissing me off.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: June 09, 2009, 11:56:46 AM

If it makes you feel better you can always look forward to the part where they kill her.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: June 09, 2009, 12:20:24 PM

And yeah, she's not great to look at either. There are a thousand other ways to go with actresses that can actually act, would look like the actual character, and weren't already type-cast due to 8 seasons on the same TV show. It won't be Holly Combs playing Catelyn Stark. It will be Piper running around the world of Westeros, pissing me off.

Personally, Catelyn tended to piss me off, so maybe she's perfect for the role.  To be fair though, she's no Cersei.  God I wish she'd die already. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #75 on: June 09, 2009, 12:23:49 PM

The don't off Catelyn until the third book. I don't think they'll make it that far with the show, personally.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #76 on: June 09, 2009, 12:40:55 PM

And then they didn't actually off her.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: June 09, 2009, 12:49:11 PM

SPOILERS!
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #78 on: June 09, 2009, 12:57:44 PM

Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: June 09, 2009, 01:17:21 PM

To be fair though, she's no Cersei.  God I wish she'd die already. 

I hope that George has a violent and humiliating end in line for that bitch.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #80 on: June 09, 2009, 05:40:24 PM

After what he's done to every good character I like, if he doesn't end up having every bastard character come to some horrible degrading end, I will track him down and light him on fire.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: June 09, 2009, 07:27:21 PM

I'm sure your grandchildren will be able to report to you if that happens when they come to the nursing home in their atomic hoverbikes.  

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #82 on: June 09, 2009, 09:49:54 PM

Cersei has to get captured at some point, and then knowing Martin he'll flip the tables on us to make her slightly sympathetic before he crushes her skull. He's a bitch like that.

The good die horribly. The bad stick around until we actually might give a shit. (see Jaime)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 09:52:18 PM by Paelos »

gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: June 09, 2009, 09:55:21 PM

Wasn't her fate already told at least vaguely in prophecy? My memory might be a bit hazy but i think she is currently captured? But there is no redeeming that bitch, i cant recall disliking a fictional character more.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #84 on: June 09, 2009, 10:02:03 PM

Wasn't her fate already told at least vaguely in prophecy? My memory might be a bit hazy but i think she is currently captured? But there is no redeeming that bitch, i cant recall disliking a fictional character more.

I'd like to think so too, but very few of his characters are black and white. At least on the main sense. She's currently captured by the High Septon, whom she gave control in an ironic twist. Will it go that easy? I have absolutely no confidence in that. At this point she's drunk and in trouble though.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #85 on: June 10, 2009, 09:30:43 AM

Agreed. She needs to be gangbanged by a pack of baboons and then hung from a ship's mast until crows pick out her eyes.

I have never played WoW.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: June 10, 2009, 08:10:52 PM

People found the Catelyn character anything but annoying? Wha?

She didn't have to sound annoying and condescending with every line she uttered. Never once did I find the character sympathic, likable, or remotely agreeable.

You have just described Catelyn for me. Looks like prefect casting to my mind.

Incidentally, looks like GRRM has let lose the game rights to ASoIaF. Anyone willing to make bets about which would be worse out of the TV show or the game(s)?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 08:13:11 PM by lamaros »
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #87 on: June 10, 2009, 09:23:02 PM

People found the Catelyn character anything but annoying? Wha?

She didn't have to sound annoying and condescending with every line she uttered. Never once did I find the character sympathic, likable, or remotely agreeable.

You have just described Catelyn for me. Looks like prefect casting to my mind.

Incidentally, looks like GRRM has let lose the game rights to ASoIaF. Anyone willing to make bets about which would be worse out of the TV show or the game(s)?

This is all very true.  I've been rereading the series due to the show/new book coming out. Catelyn's character is completely unlikeable throughout.  Granted, she's had a nightmarish time, but even from the start she was impetuous, gullible, self-centered, and a melancholy buzzkill.  Every time her name pops up at the start of the chapter I have to groan.   Even the worst of the POVs are miles more entertaining than listening to her whine or blunder through another situation.

The Red Wedding just can't come soon enough.

I won't be able to make a call on your last point until I see this.  HBO doesn't put out crap, but if poorly done, this could be as bad as the Dresden Files abomination of a series.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 09:24:57 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #88 on: June 11, 2009, 12:07:20 AM

She never jumped out at me as a hateful character. She's complex like everyone else. The history of her wedding to Eddard should give you enough to identify with her issues. And the bastards, and the other shit.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 12:12:25 AM by Paelos »

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: June 11, 2009, 12:28:57 AM

I too despised Catelyn more than anyone else in the series. I cheered so much when she died, then sighed and cursed GRRM when he rezzed her.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #90 on: June 11, 2009, 12:59:23 AM

I don't hate Catelyn either. I don't think I really like her as a person but I think she may be the most realistic, complex character in the entire series. So while I may not like the choices she makes, I stlil enjoy her chapters because they make you really appreciate what a cut above most other fantasy writers GRRM is.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: June 11, 2009, 01:01:48 AM

After she forces Jon to be sent to the wall (Ned letting that go down never really made sense to me) i hated her. But Catelyn unlike Cersei at least has some depth. Cersei is like a caricature of a person, no depth just a bitch in all aspects in EVERY interaction.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #92 on: June 11, 2009, 01:04:11 AM

I too despised Catelyn more than anyone else in the series. I cheered so much when she died, then sighed and cursed GRRM when he rezzed her.

Oh man, me too. It was like the one person he killed I didn't mind him killing too much and then OH JESUS WHAT

EDIT: Amusingly, I don't totally hate Cersei like I loathe Catelyn. There's been a couple of moments where he hints at why she's such a raging bitch of a woman that makes me at least understand ... er ... why she's such a raging bitch of a woman. I didn't really start to dislike her as a character (disliking her as a person is pretty easy) until she went all crazy Lady Macbeth and lost even the tiniest hints of personality she had previously in Feast for Crows.

Catelyn though. Fuck. I hate her chapters, I hate HER, and I hate that she's not fucking dead. I don't really see all the depth people are talking about, but I haven't read the books in a long damn time, so I could be that any depth I saw faded while the fact I fucking hate her remained.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 01:21:58 AM by Sjofn »

God Save the Horn Players
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #93 on: June 11, 2009, 12:27:02 PM

Wow, I've never heard anyone say they didn't totally hate Cersei.

Do you drown kittens in your free time?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #94 on: June 11, 2009, 01:40:40 PM

Well, like I said, she's obviously a horrible person, but I don't hate her like I hates Catelyn, and the teeny tiny glimpses into why she's such a horrible person make her very slightly understandable to me. I don't think Cersei is even the most horrible person in the series, though. That would be Littlefinger.

God Save the Horn Players
WayAbvPar

Reply #95 on: June 11, 2009, 02:13:39 PM

And Cersei gets to be in some hawt secks scenes. Catelyn not so much.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #96 on: June 11, 2009, 02:17:47 PM

Agreed. She needs to be gangbanged by a pack of baboons and then hung from a ship's mast until crows pick out her eyes.

gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: June 11, 2009, 02:24:27 PM

Its recapped a few pages up. Cersei is introduced and promptly gets caught fucking her brother, whom she goads into throwing a child from a window. She then orders a little girls wolf to be killed out of pure spite. Kills the king and Ned, this is just ONE book. Penis envy is not a "window" into why she does these things. Which is the only insight we are given into why she is so fucked up. Catelyn on the other hand is just an annoying nosy bitch, who basically fails at everything she attempts.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #98 on: June 11, 2009, 02:30:42 PM

I think the point is that I think most of us enjoy reading the Cersei chapters because she's such a omgwtf biatch. catlyn with her incessant moping about may be a 'better person', or whatever, but is just yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawnerrific.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: June 11, 2009, 04:15:46 PM

Is there really a single female character in the series that overall is not on some level pretty despicable?

I know everyone is going on about how they hate Catelyn or Cersei, but I can't think of a damn female character I really liked that much at all except maybe the youngest Stark girl. The rest all have personality flaws you could drive a bus through.

Not to say the male characters are much better.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #100 on: June 11, 2009, 04:30:49 PM

Is there really a single female character in the series that overall is not on some level pretty despicable?

Arya.  But yeah, she's it.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #101 on: June 11, 2009, 04:37:06 PM

What about the Dragon Queen character?
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: June 11, 2009, 04:43:19 PM

Arya,Daenrys,Wildling guiding the stark boys,Brienne,Jons chick....umm thats about it. Viking woman wasn't that bad.
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #103 on: June 11, 2009, 04:50:00 PM

Daenerys is definitely despicable on at least 'some level'.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #104 on: June 11, 2009, 04:59:13 PM

There's not really any major character that jumps out as the perfect example of shining good. Bran maybe. For now. Sam is pretty harmless. Brienne I suppose.

There are minor characters that we haven't seen so much who seem to be perfectly nice people, but the camera doesn't follow them, probably because they're not as interesting.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  
Jump to: