Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:57:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS] 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  (Read 1108616 times)
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #6580 on: May 22, 2019, 07:22:39 AM

And holy hell it was Snow falling on Kings Landing.  Nothing about it looked like ash.  It was bright fucking white, and was coming down in obvious snow flakes.  See Arya at the end of episode 5 if you want to see ash.  She is gray, its raining grey, everything is grey.

Also the iron throne was frozen when Dany reached for it.

I am the .00000001428%
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #6581 on: May 22, 2019, 07:46:54 AM

I am the .00000001428%
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #6582 on: May 22, 2019, 08:09:07 AM

I may be mistaken but I thought GRRM said something about how the seasons in Westeros are all screwed up because of magic and the Others are part of it with Dragons (or the Lord of Light) being another part. This may just be a fan theory I've internalized over the years though.

He has said that we'll learn why the seasons are fucked by the end of the books. He hasn't explicitly linked the rise of all kinds of magic to it, but I mean, that is fairly obvious.

I assume that stopping magic in general is how the others are defeated in the books.

But the show doesn't give a shit. At least in s8 it was honest about this.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 08:24:07 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #6583 on: May 22, 2019, 05:15:02 PM

Chaos is a ladder and perhaps Brynden got another chance to climb it via Bran.

Holy shit, someone just reminded me his primary characteristic as a child is Bran the climber. The books and the show open with all the stuff about Bran being quite the climber, and then it gets repressed by his disability, and...

"You always look at your feet before you lie." - Maybe I gotta rewatch every Bran scene for him looking at his feet...

Vision just as he's headed towards being the 3ER, and the look Jojen gives him: "Promise me, Bran, no more climbing."
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 11:54:45 PM by Tale »
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #6584 on: May 22, 2019, 05:31:28 PM

GRRM has said that for the most part, the show and books are endining similarly.  The major beats are the same.

As for ash versus snow - It doesn't make sense as either.  Having been downwind from the Paradise California Camp Fire, I can say ash can fall like snow, but it does not look like that and everything is dirty.  And nobody can breath. 

However, a living furnace that needs to eat constantly that ends up buried under feet of snow when the snow is falling at a light drift?  Err.... 

Also, there was blue sky amongst the clouds that doesn't really make sense for either.

The last book will likely make it clear.  We just have to wait for 2032 to read it.  When Brandon Sorensen writes it.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #6585 on: May 22, 2019, 06:10:17 PM

If he said it, it was nowhere in the actual books themselves.  In the books, we know absolutely nothing about the White Walkers, their origins, or anything (Winds of Winter is supposed to get into all this).  Same thing with the Red God, who we just know has priest who worship him and seems to give actual power.  But not like, good power.  Everything about him involves blood magic, which is generally considered bad.  When ever they tell stories of the past, they always mention the winters and summers lasting multiple years, so it can't really have anything to do with the Dragons.

Mind you, I think it is a good and likely theory to explain the wacky seasons of the world, but hasn't been revealed in the books yet.  And I pay very little attention to what the dude says IRL.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #6586 on: May 22, 2019, 08:00:51 PM

Someone's video from over 3 weeks ago, predicting King Bran the Broken "because chaos is a ladder and Bran is the best at climbing". Denies he had any spoilers.
WayAbvPar

Reply #6587 on: May 22, 2019, 09:29:29 PM

The other denouement nobody wanted.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nws1JQHBlJA
This may have legitimized S8 and the original song  awesome, for real

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
schild
Administrator

Reply #6588 on: May 22, 2019, 10:51:14 PM

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #6589 on: May 23, 2019, 03:22:58 AM

If he said it, it was nowhere in the actual books themselves.  In the books, we know absolutely nothing about the White Walkers, their origins, or anything (Winds of Winter is supposed to get into all this).  Same thing with the Red God, who we just know has priest who worship him and seems to give actual power.  But not like, good power.  Everything about him involves blood magic, which is generally considered bad.  When ever they tell stories of the past, they always mention the winters and summers lasting multiple years, so it can't really have anything to do with the Dragons.

Mind you, I think it is a good and likely theory to explain the wacky seasons of the world, but hasn't been revealed in the books yet.  And I pay very little attention to what the dude says IRL.

There is a fair bit of book evidence that the citadel dudes think magic in the world is 'a very bad thing' and they spend of a lot of energy linking magic and dragons.

They don't say loads about winter or why they view magic as such a bad thing.

There is a viable theory that the rise of magic was caused by Targ efforts to birth dragons, and the citadel responded by removing the Targs from power. Also viable to think Varys is part of that faction given he explicitly tells Tyrion how he is motivated by hatred of wizards in both book and show.

Bran's show visions link prior rows with the Others to sillyness involving magic.

The 700 ft magic wall also gives a strong hint that the builders felt a need to protect the kingdoms from the tide of magic.

But as you say, not actually revealed as yet.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #6590 on: May 23, 2019, 05:30:33 AM

I find it interesting to see all the talk about how the last two seasons were rushed and for what reasons. Ironically, the plan, from D&D, was always seven seasons. HBO, apparently, was quite interested in adding two to five more seasons, but in the end only got D&D to extend it by three episodes, resulting in the seventh season being split into the season seven and eight we got. D&D commented as far back as 2014 that their plan was seven seasons. What this means, of course, is that there was no rush outside of them wanting to have a set end date for the show. It also looks like the had the finale details worked out shortly after finishing season six -- the rest of the episodes in between were then used to bridge the gap, thus why so much got kicked to the side. As for changing show runners.. number of reasons why that likely didn't happen, but I wish it had (of course, who knows; their replacements could have been worse -- we'll never know).

Lastly, it looks like a lot of the GoT spin-offs  are dead in the water after the back-lash. I think there's one prequel currently filming, two other prequels were planned but are now on hold, and the two 'sequels' (such as Arya going west) didn't even make it that far. Depending on how the prequel they are already filming is received will likely decide the fate of the rest.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #6591 on: May 23, 2019, 06:02:04 AM

To be fair to D&D I read a bunch of the actors were refusing to do more,  wanted to move on and had other projects so scheduling shooting was already getting very difficult
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #6592 on: May 23, 2019, 06:06:49 AM

I keep hearing this talk of both D&D and the actors wanting to move on.  Anybody got links for this?  All I ever see it is in forum chatter, so curious to see what is being said.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #6593 on: May 23, 2019, 07:33:41 AM

I keep hearing this talk of both D&D and the actors wanting to move on.  Anybody got links for this?  All I ever see it is in forum chatter, so curious to see what is being said.

I've never understood that mentality btw. It's usually career suicide when you're on a long running wildly successful show to move into other roles.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #6594 on: May 23, 2019, 07:43:54 AM

And its not like you have to ditch your successful show to do other stuff. Emilia did Terminator, Star Wars and some other stuff while filming the show after having two brain hemorrhages.

I am the .00000001428%
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #6595 on: May 23, 2019, 08:17:26 AM

I think actors just get bored of the same characters after awhile. While I didn't hear they wanted to move on, I did hear HBO would have to renegotiate all of their contracts which apparently it was willing to do. I'm sure some did want to move on and with a show like this that would be a big problem. Game of Thrones has a huge ensemble and it's far too late to recast and some of the key players absolutely could not be easily written out. (The Lannisters and Starks primarily.)

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #6596 on: May 23, 2019, 08:51:14 AM

I love the Pitch Meeting guy, and that one is spot on.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #6597 on: May 23, 2019, 09:07:43 AM

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #6598 on: May 23, 2019, 10:28:42 PM

That was really good, and so true.

"Council of Surviving Characters", snicker.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #6599 on: May 24, 2019, 12:57:58 AM

Lastly, it looks like a lot of the GoT spin-offs  are dead in the water after the back-lash. I think there's one prequel currently filming, two other prequels were planned but are now on hold, and the two 'sequels' (such as Arya going west) didn't even make it that far. Depending on how the prequel they are already filming is received will likely decide the fate of the rest.

There is no way on earth decisions have changed that quickly, stop reading bullshit click bait. Most of these spin offs are just a guy who had lunch anyway - there is not so much to cancel.

Obviously the success the next series will decide how interested HBO are in follow ons.

And I doubt HBO are bothered that s8 got such high ratings.

This is good though.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #6600 on: May 24, 2019, 02:04:51 AM

Any spinoff would probably end up being less successful, but I imagine if they include most of the same elements they would still do far better than most random crap that gets produced.  In terms of ratings, earnings, or whatever metrics matter.

Arya goes West of West?  We'd watch it.  You know we would.  Send Bronn with her because of reasons and it would be must-watch tv.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #6601 on: May 24, 2019, 02:37:42 AM

Bronn and Arya is a buddy cop show waiting to happen
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #6602 on: May 24, 2019, 02:58:02 AM

"cop" implies they need would be the good guys.  They need to be whoring it up and stabbing people in the neck.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #6603 on: May 24, 2019, 03:34:39 AM

And I doubt HBO are bothered that s8 got such high ratings.

I've heard a few times that HBO care more about good critical reviews than they do ratings.  I think they can also understand that just because something does well ratings wise doesn't mean it hasn't burned up a lot of goodwill if it didn't succeed.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #6604 on: May 24, 2019, 03:50:01 AM

They care about whether something they're airing is so interesting/important/acclaimed that it makes people feel compelled to subscribe. Though after their acquisition, who knows? Their new dumb corporate overlords seemed to have had some different ideas.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #6605 on: May 24, 2019, 03:57:08 AM

I am talking out my ass here, but it is not unreasonable to expect that HBO loses subscriptions every year once GoT season is done, only to gain them back once the season comes back around.  Now that the series is over, they will hemorrhage bunches of subs, although how much a bite that takes out of their pie, I have no idea.  I myself am probably going to hang onto my sub to rewatch Westworld and to finish watching The Office (only streaming service I have that has it)....then I am probably done with it.  Maybe forever.  I won't be the only one.

Arya and Bronn go west buckling swashes, stabbing necks and stealing chickens?  That might get me back.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6606 on: May 24, 2019, 04:45:30 AM

"We need a new Master of Whisperers."

Why? Bran can just go "Hey I wonder what <any random person in the world> is up to and if they are doing shit that they shouldn't? I'll just go check."

I don't think that's how it works. You need those trees to be around to get into the memory core. That's why they lost power in the south where they cut down all those trees.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #6607 on: May 24, 2019, 05:45:04 AM

If nothing else, His Dark Materials would have me hanging on.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #6608 on: May 24, 2019, 06:54:09 AM

HBO already shot down the Arya spin off idea.

I don't think that's how it works. You need those trees to be around to get into the memory core. That's why they lost power in the south where they cut down all those trees.

Bran was perfectly able to see Ned at the Tower of Joy in the far south, even with all those tree's cut down.  So I think it does work that way.

-Stephen Colbert
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #6609 on: May 24, 2019, 07:14:31 AM

Arya going west would indeed be more interesting to me than any prequel they could spin, especially if that prequel didn't address what the fuck this whole North/South/Winter/Humans conflict was about, since the series itself couldn't be arsed to answer that question. Or any question.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #6610 on: May 24, 2019, 07:24:59 AM

I agree that an Arya spinoff would be the most interesting idea I've heard so far for another GoT show. Robert's Rebellion seems like the obvious choice for a GoT reboot in a decade; it's too close to the events of the main show to be interesting right now. I'll probably watch whatever stupid ancient Targaryen history show they put out, but I don't have high hopes for it.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #6611 on: May 24, 2019, 08:32:21 AM

Need the dance of dragons or the Blackfyre rebellion. The rumored "long night" prequel about the creation of the white walkers seems utterly pointless now.

I am the .00000001428%
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #6612 on: May 24, 2019, 10:05:18 AM

Look, they kind of fucked a lot of potential spinoffs in the last three seasons simply by shrinking the world so dramatically--there's almost nowhere that feels far-away from anywhere else any longer, and thus nowhere that you could reasonably feel characters might go and find a completely new situation. Way back in the beginning, you really felt that when Jon went to the Wall and Tyrion went along to see it that they were going somewhere remote, and that when Jon went further North and joined the Free Folk as a spy, he was in an utterly remote circumstance. By the end, it feels like you could pick up some bread from Hot Pie's inn and get home to the Iron Islands for supper, and that the supposed vastness of Essos is just a bit further to go than that.

Now maybe the world of Westeros and Essos is fucking huge--two or three times the size of Earth--and what's west of Westeros is something completely new and far-away. But maybe it's just the east of Essos, separated by some empty ocean. And from there it's maybe not so far from Qarth and basically familiar places. But I really think the way the series ended has undercut some of its potential value--prequel or sequel.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #6613 on: May 24, 2019, 10:20:19 AM

I really don't want them to do a prequel series but I'm against prequels just on general prinicple. They almost always over-explain stuff I don't care about and make things I imagined much less cool. Star Wars and Star Trek have convinced me prequels are just not the way to do things.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #6614 on: May 24, 2019, 01:24:46 PM

Martin has analogues of Asia and Africa in the books, at least one entire continent he's done fuck-all with.  I hope he forgets they exist, or he'll wind up detouring there for six of the imaginary books he'll never write.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  
Jump to: