Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:46:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS] 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  (Read 1108603 times)
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #5565 on: August 22, 2017, 04:51:12 PM

Gotta agree with most of this:

http://theweek.com/articles/719732/game-thrones-become-terrible-show

The show is really quite crap this season.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #5566 on: August 22, 2017, 04:53:37 PM

Did you think the show (or the books) would end with them all sitting around the table with Cesei and Dany flashing their breasts and Jon and the others deciding who'd rule based on the results of this flash?

... Yes

Hic sunt dracones.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #5567 on: August 22, 2017, 05:10:26 PM

On Cersei's baby, I'm thinking:

a) It's totally fake, doesn't exist
b) It's Euron's baby--she already humped him

B) is pretty consistent with Cersei's behavior to date: she does whatever she wants, when she wants. Her feelings about Jamie are not really love per se.

I don't think the scene with Qyburn was staged for Jaime's benefit, so I'm going with the assumption that Qyburn has in fact told her that she's pregnant. We know from Maggie's prophesy that Cersei will only have three children, so this child is not going to be born one way or another. I'm pretty sure she's not physically interested in Euron and is only tolerating him as a way to cement her power base, so random casual sex with him isn't something that seems very likely.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #5568 on: August 22, 2017, 05:37:13 PM

Her feelings about Jamie are not really love per se.

Its complicated.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #5569 on: August 22, 2017, 11:18:30 PM

Game Of Thrones director admits the show’s timeline is “straining plausibility”

I especially like part
“If the show was struggling, I’d be worried about those concerns, but the show seems to be doing pretty well so it’s OK to have people with those concerns.”
The show's doing well so who cares about stuff like timelines?  why so serious?
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #5570 on: August 23, 2017, 05:21:09 AM

I would be more okay with the time travelling and distance issues if they would at least half attempt to explain it with some kind of MacGuffin.  They could have done a few really, really simple things to make it more believable.

That said, I get enough entertainment out of this show that I can easily forgive its obvious flaws.

Oh, and regarding the talent and their possible discontent...I have no idea how much actual time investment some of these guys put in, but actual screen time for most of them is extremely limited.  I'm guessing they have it pretty sweet.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #5571 on: August 23, 2017, 07:58:18 AM

The show has pretty much made some of these actors' careers, especially the young ones. I'm sure they aren't too bent out of shape about it.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #5572 on: August 23, 2017, 08:34:55 AM

Even most of the older ones.  This is the biggest TV thing that has ever been, anyone who wants out would be a bit of a fool, at least as far as the main characters are concerned.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5573 on: August 24, 2017, 09:05:32 AM

Reading someone else complaining about GoT they referenced this scene from s1...

https://youtu.be/CY5As-RP1MM

... yeah, this is not that show.  

And there are so many like this pre-wedding.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5574 on: August 25, 2017, 02:49:41 AM

We know from Maggie's prophesy that Cersei will only have three children, so this child is not going to be born one way or another.

Maggie also said all 3 children will wear a crown. After Myrcella's early departure I'm not sure we can rely on the show observing mundane traditions such as continuity.

That said, I'd thought the same initially but...

There was a hell of a lot of foreshadowing of a Dany/Jon child in this episode. The only reason I can think of for the stupid longclaw discussion is for Jorah to mention the idea of Jon having kids, and Dany is talking about being barren *again*. Her exchange on succession has to refer to something.

Of course, if Dany and Jon procreate then it means the show has enough time left for Cersei as well.

Also Jamie is surely a lock to kill Cersei. With his unborn child still around that is tough to deliver. 

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #5575 on: August 25, 2017, 04:26:04 AM

I'm still hoping that the GoT will show some of it's old "everybody dies" instead of "everyone gets a last minute save"-mentality and kills off some important character like Tyrion, Dany or Jon in the season's last episode to bring it to a decent close.  why so serious?
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5576 on: August 25, 2017, 04:49:04 AM

My expectation is that main characters will die per the ASOIAF outline, which is why it was impossible to believe any of them were going to die on that stupid rock. Hard to predict if anything will happen this week because nothing nothing much has been set up beyond Jon and Dany making eyes.

The only main character potential survivors I can imagine are Sansa, Jamie, and at a real stretch Tyrion and/or Bran. Though if Bran lives he'll probably wander off to live in a tree.

Secondary characters not obviously marked for death: Brienne, Pod, the Hound, Tormund, Jorah, Sam.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #5577 on: August 25, 2017, 05:59:30 AM

Also Jamie is surely a lock to kill Cersei. With his unborn child still around that is tough to deliver. 

Azor Ahai forged Lightbringer by plunging it into the breast of his beloved wife, killing her. This is the sword that could defeat the Night King. Jaime is already the kingslayer. Is he the nightkingslayer?

P.S. Tormund and The Hound continued.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #5578 on: August 25, 2017, 06:29:18 AM

Whose breast do you think you could plunge a sword into and have fire come out? You get one guess.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5579 on: August 25, 2017, 07:32:59 AM

We know from Maggie's prophesy that Cersei will only have three children, so this child is not going to be born one way or another.

Maggie also said all 3 children will wear a crown. After Myrcella's early departure I'm not sure we can rely on the show observing mundane traditions such as continuity.

She was a princess of Dorne when she died. Then her Prince and the King followed her. So you could *technically* swing it that way.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #5580 on: August 25, 2017, 08:41:18 AM

I don't think the showbringers care all that much about carrying forward fine-grained character arcs. At this point, they only know:

a) gotta reveal Jon's parentage to everyone, preferably about half-an-episode after Jon and Daenerys have fucked and very likely when the person who's supposed to tell them about it (I'm guessing Sam) arrives to find them sprawled nude in bed
b) gotta finish out the Maggy the Frog prophecy since they showed it; I think they're setting Jamie up to have multiple motivations for it (selfless rage at Cersei trying to kill everyone in Westeros; selfish rage because the baby thing is a lie of some kind)

Plus they'll do the fanservice shit, since this entire season is like a fanservice slideshow.

So: Cleganebowl. Theon dying heroically (I'm pretty sure that's this Sunday and no I haven't peeked). Probably Brienne and Jamie meeting and Brienne dying heroically. (Also good odds for Sunday.)

The shit that I'm now 100% convinced they're going to fuck up catastrophically is Arya-Sansa-Littlefinger. Everyone keeps holding out that it's more clever than it appears, but considering that they lost control of the Arya story arc when she left for Braavos and they never have had a story for Sansa beyond damsel-in-distress, and that Littlefinger's last appearance as a competent plotter was in the Vale and not even really then,  nope, they're about to fuck it up. Doesn't matter how they seemed to foreshadow any of that in the early seasons--they don't really give a crap about that and I don't think GRRM's plot outline gives them much guidance either. (Partly because I think those are two plotlines that GRRM himself is confused about--the Braavos material in the books is equally meandering and Sansa's story hasn't gone beyond arriving at the Vale.)
Brennik
Terracotta Army

Reply #5581 on: August 25, 2017, 08:44:48 AM

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5582 on: August 25, 2017, 10:41:54 AM

Point of order.

The show didn't include the entire maggy prophecy. It cut off after the section about children. The valonqar bit never happens on TV.

Edit :

Sam doesn't know shit about Jon's parents - all he (Gilly) knows is that any Lyanna / Rhaegar children are legit.

Edit2:

ALSO I'm 99% certain tv Myrcella never married Trystane - so isn't anything in Dorne.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 10:52:56 AM by eldaec »

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #5583 on: August 25, 2017, 10:53:53 AM

Bran knows that Jon is legitimate. I'm pretty sure that he's the only person still alive who does.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5584 on: August 25, 2017, 11:00:35 AM

Only on the basis that Bran knows everything. We don't have specific evidence he's found the wedding.

Howland Reed probably knew - but I don't think we'll see him on TV.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #5585 on: August 25, 2017, 11:17:15 AM

In the books, isn't the whole Dorne plot line that they are going to crown Mycrella because she is older than Tommen and Dornish succession is solely by age?

Of course they totally mixed like 80% of the characters/story from Dirbe in the TV series like Oeryn's sister who was the heir to Dorne.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5586 on: August 25, 2017, 11:25:55 AM

In the books, isn't the whole Dorne plot line that they are going to crown Mycrella because she is older than Tommen and Dornish succession is solely by age?

Yes. Also in the books the Martell women don't kill Mycrella, it's a ploy to lure Lannister loyals in which she accidentally gets hurt.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #5587 on: August 25, 2017, 12:16:03 PM

Only on the basis that Bran knows everything. We don't have specific evidence he's found the wedding.

Sorry, I meant to say that Bran knows who Jon's real mother is and no-one else who has shown up so far does. Howland Reed does but he's not even appeared as a random bannerman at Winterfell so I don't expect him to roll up later. We've only seen the younger version in Bran's vision and, if they were going to use him as an authority on Jon's parentage, I expect that the character would have shown up in the current timeline by now.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 12:19:25 PM by IainC »

March
Terracotta Army

Reply #5588 on: August 25, 2017, 02:25:29 PM

Sorry, I meant to say that Bran knows who Jon's real mother is and no-one else who has shown up so far does. Howland Reed does but he's not even appeared as a random bannerman at Winterfell so I don't expect him to roll up later. We've only seen the younger version in Bran's vision and, if they were going to use him as an authority on Jon's parentage, I expect that the character would have shown up in the current timeline by now.

Right... I imagine it playing out with Bran dropping the bomb that Jon is Lyanna's child by Rhaegar; and in the spirit of watery tarts, swords, and all that stuff being a poor foundation for succession... Sam or probably Gilly swoops in with documentation per the book they stole from the maesters; and that makes it all legal an' shit.  

Sad to see the show deteriorate so far so quickly.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 02:52:18 PM by March »
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #5589 on: August 25, 2017, 02:52:09 PM

Yeah, that's what I see too: Bran says it, people go, come on man, and then Sam shows up and say, well, in this book it says. Maybe to gild the lily an old man wanders in with Meera and says, "Hi, I'm Howland Reed and yeah it's true". Which is like every fantasy trope ever except a sword in a stone, and Jon more or less has that too: it's called "o hai I can ride dragons".
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #5590 on: August 27, 2017, 07:35:53 PM

Good finale.  Going to be a long wait.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #5591 on: August 27, 2017, 07:48:25 PM

But whatevs, only 7 more episodes and I never have to think about it again.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #5592 on: August 27, 2017, 07:52:01 PM

Only until the prequel series starts.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #5593 on: August 27, 2017, 08:01:19 PM

If I don't ever watch any of the prequel, then I won't have this "well I started watching it, I need to finish it" thing.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #5594 on: August 27, 2017, 08:04:11 PM

I'm pretty annoyed that they basically wasted 3.5 episodes this season trying to fake us out and make us think really really dumb shit was about to happen. But at least they did the smarter stuff in the last 40 minutes.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #5595 on: August 27, 2017, 08:08:42 PM

That was through a lot of inbreeding though. The Stark genes are stronk.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #5596 on: August 27, 2017, 08:18:59 PM

That was a good episode.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #5597 on: August 27, 2017, 10:17:18 PM

Prediction: Cersei's child is a tumor a la Queen Mary I.

-H.L. Mencken
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #5598 on: August 27, 2017, 10:39:47 PM

I'm gonna say it dies in the womb and the night king turns it.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #5599 on: August 28, 2017, 03:51:48 AM

So the Unsullied just marched across the continent without supplies to arrive at the perfect time for the show of force (or maybe it was their turn on the teleport)?
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  
Jump to: