Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:29:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS] 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  (Read 1114882 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #5495 on: August 21, 2017, 09:32:33 AM

I don't know if she's a bad actress, but Sansa does get all the whingiest lines.

MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #5496 on: August 21, 2017, 10:09:16 AM

So how much time was supposed to pass between them sending Gendry running to Eastwatch and Daenarys coming to their rescue?

No idea, but the show made it look like Gendry is the original Flash and both ravens and dragons are capable of supersonic flight.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #5497 on: August 21, 2017, 10:51:47 AM

I was annoyed at how fucking convenient it was that after that little skirmish with the undead that ended with a bunch of them exploding there was exactly one of them left standing so they could all comically dogpile it.

Also lest we forget, if Dany had just flown up there with them in the first place (LIKE WOULD HAVE BEEN OBVIOUSLY VERY HELPFUL), they could have grabbed a wight and gotten the fuck out of there before the Night King knew what was going on.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #5498 on: August 21, 2017, 10:57:00 AM

Bah, all your cynical motherfuckers just can't enjoy a goddamn thing. I'm loving this season.

The travel times are beyond ridiculous - deal with it. If they actually dealt with the travel times in any remotely realistic manner you'd complain about how slow it is and how padded out it is. And it would be. That was actually one of the complaints of first season - it took like 5 episodes to get from Winterfell to King's Landing. Was it realistic? Yes. Was it great storytelling - meh.

Yeah I agree with this. Maybe they had wasted too much time earlier, but the reality was the whole story is reaching it's climax very quickly and they only had 14 episodes to bring together all kinds of story arcs, characters and loose ends as well as show the climatic moments. Things were going to have to move quickly.

One other thing that's bugging me, is Sophie Turner the worse actress on this show by far? Holy fuck I can't stand her whining.

I find most of the acting to be pretty crap but gotta keep in mind these were mostly child actors. The only main character performance that stuck out to me was Dinklage who does a great job of earnestly trying to serve and looks so wounded when all these conversations end with him getting chewed out with his loyalty and competence questioned when things go wrong.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #5499 on: August 21, 2017, 10:58:38 AM

Bah, all your cynical motherfuckers just can't enjoy a goddamn thing. I'm loving this season.

The travel times are beyond ridiculous - deal with it. If they actually dealt with the travel times in any remotely realistic manner you'd complain about how slow it is and how padded out it is. And it would be. That was actually one of the complaints of first season - it took like 5 episodes to get from Winterfell to King's Landing. Was it realistic? Yes. Was it great storytelling - meh.

Yeah I agree with this. Maybe they had wasted too much time earlier, but the reality was the whole story is reaching it's climax very quickly and they only had 14 episodes to bring together all kinds of story arcs, characters and loose ends as well as show the climatic moments. Things were going to have to move quickly.

One other thing that's bugging me, is Sophie Turner the worse actress on this show by far? Holy fuck I can't stand her whining.

I find most of the acting to be pretty crap but gotta keep in mind these were mostly child actors. The only main character performance that stuck out to me was Dinklage who does a great job of earnestly trying to serve and looks so wounded when all these conversations end with him getting chewed out with his loyalty and competence questioned when things go wrong.

To be fair, everything since Tyrion took the job has been a total shitshow for team dragon.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #5500 on: August 21, 2017, 12:15:58 PM

Christ, I could listen to the actor playing Beric narrate anything. That dude's voice is smooth.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #5501 on: August 21, 2017, 01:44:48 PM

Although the distance beyond the wall that the warband traveled is ambiguous, it was certainly at least a few hours - 4?.  The distance from Easternwatch to Dragonstone is about 1900 miles per book maps.  If the ravens flew at 50 to 60 miles per hour that would be between 30 and 40 hours of flight.  Then, unless Dani is going to be torn up by the wind, she can't fly back at more than about 75 MPH, so that would be another 20 to 25 hours.  All in all, if everything is perfectly sequential, we'd be saying a little over 2 days.

Of course, that is all irrelevant.  Bran can see the past and future.  Obviously, he sent the Raven to Dani before John went beyond the wall.  They just showed the scenes out of order and left out Bran sending the message.  By the time they encountered the undead bear, Dani was already mounting up.  By the time they were trapped on the island in the lake, Dani was halfway there. 

At least that is how I choose to believe it took place.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #5502 on: August 21, 2017, 01:52:25 PM

"A wizard did it."
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #5503 on: August 21, 2017, 01:58:46 PM

Leaving aside any other magic powers he might have, Bran being able to receive information instantaneously across large distances should be a major strategic game-changer in this war.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #5504 on: August 21, 2017, 02:19:53 PM

Leaving aside any other magic powers he might have, Bran being able to receive information instantaneously across large distances should be a major strategic game-changer in this war.
Why?  Apparently everyone with a raven can do it.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5505 on: August 21, 2017, 02:31:29 PM

Hah - that made absolutely no sense but we're all the way through the looking glass now so who cares. I smiled almost all the way through it despite myself.

Gendry he just craaazy!

Bears!

Bros stopping in pairs to have meaningful conversations in front of a green screen because writing for 3 is hard!

Lightsabres!

Guys without names getting eaten!

Tyrion going slowly bonkers because nothing anyone does makes any sense!

Completely original zombie mechanic!

Least significant named character dies!

Tormund saved by status as only remaining named wildling!

Ice that can't take the weight of zombies.... Fuck that it can now!

Supersonic ravens!

Dragons!

Oh shit zombies have pre-prepared surface to air munitions!

Ice Dragons!

Suddenly Benjen for no goddamn reason!

Clegane bowl is on!

Brienne and Jamie in the same town!

The only part I failed to enjoy was Sansa/Arya/Littlefinger. That was just annoying.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #5506 on: August 21, 2017, 02:33:51 PM

Honestly, of all the things that just didn't make a lot of sense with the zombie fight was how many redshirts just seemed to keep popping up. I didn't bother counting (and it probably wouldn't have mattered if I did) but I don't think they took more than 10 people total, which meant 3 redshirts and I swear there were at least 5 dead redshirts besides Loras at the end.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #5507 on: August 21, 2017, 02:38:12 PM

Bit of dragon glass might have come in handy there, if only they had some.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5508 on: August 21, 2017, 02:41:25 PM

I just looked, the first shot has exactly 10 dudes in a wide shot of the whole party. Jon, Gendry, Tormund, Hound, Beric, Thoros, Friendzone leaves room for 3 red shirts who are given a total of zero lines and whose faces appear on screen a combined total of no times to establish their existence before they get eaten.

I got confused when the bear ate a guy we apparently didn't know - assumed it was a passing wildling at first.

Quality writing.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 09:57:31 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #5509 on: August 21, 2017, 02:44:05 PM

Bit of dragon glass might have come in handy there, if only they had some.

I think Ser Friendzone was using some dragonglass daggers - the rest didn't seem to have them but really should have.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #5510 on: August 21, 2017, 02:52:53 PM

Not like they didn't have time to forge a bunch of makeshift dragon glass weapons before they left, would have only take about five minutes in the current time scales.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5511 on: August 21, 2017, 03:04:35 PM

Why the everloving fuck does this family keep referencing my sartorial choices during peak trauma moments?

https://imgur.com/gallery/W4LOw

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #5512 on: August 21, 2017, 03:31:16 PM

Not like they didn't have time to forge a bunch of makeshift dragon glass weapons before they left, would have only take about five minutes in the current time scales.

Jon had a Valyrian sword, Thoros and Beric had fiery magic, Jorah had two dragonglass daggers, the Hound had a doubleheaded dragonglass axe and Tormund had a dragonglass handaxe. I don't remember what Gendry had apart form his hammer because he was already running back to Eastwatch when they did the (very brief) montage of people unshipping their anti-Wight weapons for the big fight.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #5513 on: August 21, 2017, 03:43:27 PM

Why the everloving fuck does this family keep referencing my sartorial choices during peak trauma moments?

Maybe they want this to drag on.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #5514 on: August 21, 2017, 03:58:21 PM

I am the .00000001428%
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #5515 on: August 21, 2017, 04:04:57 PM

Dragonstone really is nowhere the fuck near the North or the Wall, is it.   awesome, for real

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #5516 on: August 21, 2017, 04:37:38 PM

Jon had a Valyrian sword, Thoros and Beric had fiery magic, Jorah had two dragonglass daggers, the Hound had a doubleheaded dragonglass axe and Tormund had a dragonglass handaxe. I don't remember what Gendry had apart form his hammer because he was already running back to Eastwatch when they did the (very brief) montage of people unshipping their anti-Wight weapons for the big fight.

I knew John had the Valyrian sword, but wasn't sure about the others. Thanks for clearing it up.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #5517 on: August 21, 2017, 05:19:38 PM

Maybe they want this to drag on.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

This has become my favourite part of Monday.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #5518 on: August 21, 2017, 06:07:50 PM

Christ, I could listen to the actor playing Beric narrate anything. That dude's voice is smooth.

You should check out another show called Fortitude, if you haven't already. He's epic in that.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #5519 on: August 21, 2017, 07:16:06 PM

The best part of the episode was the banter between Tormund and The Hound, especially about Brienne. The ending was far too predictable, from the moment of the spear throw.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #5520 on: August 21, 2017, 07:29:48 PM

Just basically this: the showrunners are great at doing a better second draft on Martin's first draft. They're fucking *terrible* at doing a first draft from a few sketches on a napkin.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #5521 on: August 21, 2017, 07:42:05 PM

Between this and Defenders, I'm at peak lazy TV writing.

My friend at work was all hyped to discuss the episode today. I'm afraid I kind of dashed his enthusiasm after only a few minutes.  But in the end, he did agree that this season has been pretty low effort outside of the dragon assaults.

It's fun, but it's all just incredibly dumb. The major actors all kind of look like they're sick of being there.

-Rasix
schild
Administrator

Reply #5522 on: August 21, 2017, 08:10:27 PM

*snort*
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #5523 on: August 21, 2017, 08:46:08 PM

I got motivated today in a discussion with friends. It took me all of ten minutes to think of a better 7-episode outline with most of the same plot beats and basic showcase scenes that didn't require a single fucking "let's do something really dumb" plot idea to get there--and it wouldn't cost anything different than what this cost them.

These guys were only good when they were polishing a second draft of someone else's first draft. Leave them to write the first draft and they're catastrophes.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5524 on: August 21, 2017, 09:19:16 PM

I kept wondering if this wouldn't have been a shit load better if they were under siege in an abandoned tower. Surrounded by wights, knowing the main army was approaching and would overwhelm them in a few days if help didn't arrive.

It would still be stupid - but nearly the same kind of stupid.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #5525 on: August 21, 2017, 09:32:26 PM

I kept wondering if this wouldn't have been a shit load better if they were under siege in an abandoned tower. Surrounded by wights, knowing the main army was approaching and would overwhelm them in a few days if help didn't arrive.

It would still be stupid - but nearly the same kind of stupid.

The only problem with that is that it might come out a little too close to Bran and Hodor in the cave.  They might've wanted something that would feel more open and epic since they've already done the "barricading the doors against zombies" thing.

Other than that, I tend to agree that if you're going to remake Army of Darkness you should do it right.

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #5526 on: August 22, 2017, 03:56:05 AM

I don't care how bad Game of Thrones could get, those reviews will always be worth it.

"This is just frozen water Gendry, row your way to safety"

« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 04:54:56 AM by Tebonas »
carnifex27
Terracotta Army

Reply #5527 on: August 22, 2017, 04:13:32 AM

I can forgive pretty much ANYTHING they do this season, so long as Arya, Brienne of Tarth and The Hound reunite at some point. They are the only characters left that I still care about at this point. I literally am only still watching to see if the three of them have a scene together.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #5528 on: August 22, 2017, 04:24:27 AM

Nah, I'm pretty much over this.  Suspension of disbelief totally out the window.  I can accept zombies and dragons and shapeshifting and dragon zombies, but this travel shit is just bullshit.  What fucking speed would that Raven have needed to go at.  Never mind that, what fucking speed would Gendry have had to go at ?

What fucking speed would those dragons have to go at Huh

It's bullshit and not even interesting bullshit. 

I also thought the banter between Sophie and Maisie was FUCKING AWFUL.  I like them both and I know for a fact Maisie can act, but that was wooden as SHIT performances.  Fear and Anger ?  There was nothing with either of them.  It's awful.  Awful.  Fucking Jon did better emoting as a guy that might wanna fuck a dragon mum and he's usually wooden as fuck.

The wife won't let me quit it, but it's fast becoming the show I watch while compiling PowerBI reports.  I can't think of any bigger insult than that....

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #5529 on: August 22, 2017, 05:10:30 AM

I have pretty much been over this series for a couple years now. Basically the fantasy league plus knowing it will end soon is making me stick with it.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  
Jump to: