Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 04:02:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS] 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  (Read 1116241 times)
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4795 on: June 29, 2016, 08:13:32 AM

Tyrells, not Tullys.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4796 on: June 29, 2016, 08:47:42 AM

That's the ones, although the family is just about as dead as the Tullys these days so almost irrelevant.  why so serious?

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #4797 on: June 29, 2016, 09:16:21 AM

Funny thing in a reversal of fate with all the important freys dead Edmund Tully may just get the twins by the virtue of martiage
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #4798 on: June 29, 2016, 09:31:59 AM

Yep. I don't think we had Lothar Frey, and little Walder is dead already, right?

Out of date, but gives a good overview: http://i.imgur.com/W1wsoGc.png

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Mac
Terracotta Army

Reply #4799 on: June 29, 2016, 10:36:00 AM

Funny thing in a reversal of fate with all the important freys dead Edmund Tully may just get the twins by the virtue of martiage
He's called Edmure.

Not Edmund.

Now I am sad because Edmund Blackadder will never be in Game of Thrones.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #4800 on: June 29, 2016, 11:10:09 AM

So I'm going to spoiler this, lord knows why.  It's HBO's blog but apparently SOME people are upset at the "revelation."

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #4801 on: June 29, 2016, 11:20:14 AM

I am upset he doesn't have white-blong hair and purple eyes. :p

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #4802 on: June 29, 2016, 11:44:06 AM

That part bothers me the most. I seem to remember that in the books all Targaeryn's had that distinctive look as it "bred true".

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #4803 on: June 29, 2016, 11:48:13 AM

Stark blood on the mother's side is dominant.   awesome, for real

The first book had some very strong clues about Jon's parentage by way of dropping these pieces of information about how the world works:

1) Noble houses can pass very distinctive hereditary traits through one parent or the other.
2) Targaryens had to inbreed to keep their lineage "pure".  All the blond/purple Targs were Targ on both sides.
3) Children fathered by a Baratheon almost always have dark coloration like their father.  This is borne out by Robert's bastards.
4) Children fathered by a Stark do NOT typically look like their father.  Cat grieves that none of her sons look like Ned.
5) Jon looks like a Stark.  This is one reason Cat hates him; he looks more like Ned than any of his trueborn sons.

The show lost 4 and 5 because it would have been difficult to make the casting work, and without the casting it makes no sense -- they would have had to cast someone as Ned who looked more like Jon, and someone as Robb who looks more like Cat.  But since as it is Robb and Jon look very much like each other you couldn't very well have had a scene where that difference is pointed out the way they did with Cersei's children vs Gendry.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #4804 on: June 29, 2016, 11:48:49 AM

They bred it true by fucking each other.    Ohhhhh, I see.

So it makes sense for him not have the look.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #4805 on: June 29, 2016, 02:21:14 PM

That part bothers me the most. I seem to remember that in the books all Targaeryn's had that distinctive look as it "bred true".

He's not any less a Stark.

Tyrion has blond hair rather than white too.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #4806 on: June 29, 2016, 02:26:15 PM

Ok, that theory has waaaaaay less proof/gravity than the Jon theory every did (which basically slapped you in the face in the first few books who his mother was).  

Do we still think it's true?  Not that I've seen anything to prove its false, but I haven't seen anything to hint its true in the TV show so far (unlike the Jon theory, where they hinted at it from season 1).
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 07:19:11 AM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #4807 on: June 29, 2016, 02:27:25 PM

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #4808 on: June 29, 2016, 02:49:44 PM

Isn't that what Merusk just posted?
Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4809 on: June 29, 2016, 03:01:39 PM

According to some skilled lip-readers, Jon's real name is:

Now, I guess we won't know if that's true til next season, but interesting nonetheless.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #4810 on: June 29, 2016, 03:39:35 PM

Ok, that theory has waaaaaay less proof/gravity than the Jon theory every did (which basically slapped you in the face in the first few books who his mother was). 

Do we still think it's true?  No that I've seen anything to prove its false, but I haven't seen anything to hint its true unlike in the TV series (unlike the Jon theory, where they hinted at it from season 1).

We know the dragon has three heads.

The TV series kept the saddle, kept the dreams of dragons, and kept Tywin's protestations that Tyrion is no son of his.

It is in no way certain - but the Dragon has 3 heads, and we've surely met all three of them. What I find most convincing is the number of clues in book 1. GRRM isn't very subtle in book 1.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #4811 on: June 29, 2016, 03:48:45 PM

Do we still think it's true?  No that I've seen anything to prove its false, but I haven't seen anything to hint its true unlike in the TV series (unlike the Jon theory, where they hinted at it from season 1).

We know the dragon has three heads.

The TV series kept the saddle, kept the dreams of dragons, and kept Tywin's protestations that Tyrion is no son of his.

It is in no way certain - but the Dragon has 3 heads, and we've surely met all three of them. What I find most convincing is the number of clues in book 1. GRRM isn't very subtle in book 1.

Surely the third head was Dany's brother who got the golden shower from Khal Drogo.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4812 on: June 29, 2016, 05:00:16 PM

Viserys doesn't really make sense because by the time we hear that "the dragon has three heads" prophecy he's already dead.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #4813 on: June 29, 2016, 05:28:17 PM

Viserys doesn't really make sense because by the time we hear that "the dragon has three heads" prophecy he's already dead.

This season was a little thick with Tyrion and Dragons... they pulled forward his talk of dreams of dragons and built an episode around him personally freeing the dragons.  His relationship with Daenerys is also going in an increasingly fraternal direction - almost tender in the last scene.

Here's a link with a more thorough combing of the books for clues: http://winteriscoming.net/2016/05/06/game-of-thrones-theorycrafting-is-tyrion-lannister-actually-a-targaryen/

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #4814 on: June 29, 2016, 10:38:26 PM

Young Griff is a much better candidate to be Quaithe's Mummers Dragon, and Moqorro's fake dragon.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 12:03:21 AM by eldaec »

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #4815 on: June 29, 2016, 11:35:45 PM

Did someone link this yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfpNoHQY3F8

Spoilers, etc.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #4816 on: June 29, 2016, 11:51:56 PM

One more point on Tyrion - we're continually told kinslayers are cursed on a level with oathbreakers, and it certainly did not work out for Robb, Ramsey, or Stannis. OTOH Tyrion hasn't suffered for killing Tywin.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #4817 on: June 30, 2016, 12:32:25 AM

Hes still related even if not the father.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #4818 on: June 30, 2016, 04:55:05 AM

Hes still related even if not the father.

Yeah, even if Tyrion is a Targaryan, Tywin is still a closer relative to him than Rickard Karstark was to Robb.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #4819 on: June 30, 2016, 04:58:10 AM

Fair point.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #4820 on: June 30, 2016, 09:40:32 AM

Directors for next year showing up around the web, no Sapochnik.  :(

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #4821 on: June 30, 2016, 09:44:46 AM

If he isn't tapped to do the series finale, someone should get slapped.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #4822 on: June 30, 2016, 09:48:11 AM

Mylod is directing more, which I think is unfortunate--he's been at the helm for some of the weakest work the series has offered.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #4823 on: June 30, 2016, 10:10:57 AM

One more point on Tyrion - we're continually told kinslayers are cursed on a level with oathbreakers, and it certainly did not work out for Robb, Ramsey, or Stannis. OTOH Tyrion hasn't suffered for killing Tywin.

That whole "breaking oaths and kinslaying gets punished" thing is a canard. The real over arching moral premise of the series is "Everyone gets punished and everyone dies in the end".  why so serious?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #4824 on: June 30, 2016, 11:36:06 AM

That whole "breaking oaths and kinslaying gets punished" thing is a canard. The real over arching moral premise of the series is "Everyone gets punished and everyone dies in the end".  why so serious?

The moral of the story, there is no morals. There is no karma, no greater good making people suffer for the evil shit they do. Your accountable for your own actions and equally accountable for avoiding the the consequences. And there is a 1/10000 chance you was lucky to be born instead of born lucky. You know basically like real life. We normally read stuff like game of thrones to escape from that reality, GRRM genius was not subverting that expectation which made people go "well shit this is exciting glad this ain't happening to me".
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #4825 on: June 30, 2016, 12:05:58 PM

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #4826 on: June 30, 2016, 12:47:37 PM

Dont know why this is spoilers...

Book Varys & Illyrio are half baked schemers or fumbling morons depending on whose is lamenting on their failed plots. Fake Aegon being a fake is probably not even known by either of them, considering that the plan was to have him (fake aegon) marry Dany and have Viserys lead the claim for the iron throne... well until the opportunity to get the dorthraki (an army) presented itself, well until Viserys dies for being too dumb to live, and until Dany accidentally kills her husband doesn't return to Illyrio but goes on a rampage across Essos. Their trying to engineer events they can't control and failing. Little Finger in contrast has manipulate events so far that he is basically 2 marriages away from claiming the iron throne.

Varys & Illyrio just want a Targ on the throne. Doesn't matter who. Aegon original purpose was to marry Dany (Visery will probably marry Dornish as that contract between Dorne and the Targs is still expected to be honored. When Dany conquered slavers bay we was being sent to offer a marriage proposal. Tyrion fucked that plan by whispering to the boys ear that invading westeroes is a good idea. That wasn't Varys or Illyrio idea, and ultimately it doesn't matter because they barely count as masterminds. Competent and intelligent men of great talent, yes, players of the "great game" no.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 09:01:06 AM by MediumHigh »
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #4827 on: June 30, 2016, 02:40:49 PM

What the fuck Varys wants remains the biggest question in asoiaf for me.

The Blackfyre thing feels like a stretch, but I don't have a better theory.

Being a Targ loyalist makes no sense. It conflicts with his anti-magic monologuing and with his behaviour under Aerys II, where he actively undermined a dynasty he is now apparently working to restore.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #4828 on: June 30, 2016, 02:49:08 PM

I thought his goals were pretty clear. He wants a ruler for Westeros that isn't a mad, murdering shitgoblin, one whose concern is as much about the safety of the people AND the continuation of the kingdom minus some of its less savory aspects. Peace in our time and all that.

He's one of the few who has always been working less for personal power in contrast to someone like Littlefinger who doesn't give a fuck about the realm, he just wants personal power.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #4829 on: June 30, 2016, 03:21:24 PM

He was remarkably rich and powerful before he came to Westeros.

TV Varys in particular would have us believe he crossed the narrow sea and worked his way into Aerys' court purely to help the little people. Really? Really really? In Asoiaf?

Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  
Jump to: