Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:47:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS] 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  (Read 1115247 times)
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #4865 on: August 25, 2016, 10:07:00 AM

Any new books are unimportant to me at this point. The HBO show is the story now.

I have never played WoW.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #4866 on: August 25, 2016, 10:48:54 AM

Any new books are unimportant to me at this point. The HBO show is the story now.
The books and show are both good.  In general, I think the books are better than the show.  The show *may* have spoiled the remaining books (we don't know the extent of the differences), but if you think the books are not going to be great and fun to read, you're risking missing out.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #4867 on: August 25, 2016, 11:14:59 AM

The show has just been getting stupider and stupider, saturated with ridiculous over the top network TV style dramatic moments especially since they have outrun their grounding in the books. So although I originally found it to be a really great edit of the increasingly plodding books, I would still like to read them to see how it goes down with a bit more subtlety, background dialogues and broader perspectives.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #4868 on: August 25, 2016, 01:06:47 PM

I specified new books for a reason. Even after the show, 1-4 are good reads.

I have never played WoW.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #4869 on: August 25, 2016, 01:59:54 PM

Yeah the books have their problems but their mainly in slow pace in the last 2 books which makes the series less likely to end in 7 books let alone our life time.

But the show is removing all the quite subtlety and edge for something more loud, obnoxious, and  palpably for pg-13 audience with bleeding assholes on social media.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #4870 on: August 25, 2016, 02:49:44 PM

The books stopped be subtle or clever a few ago.  I mean, it's fun to read, but its pulp over the top shit now (that meanders very needlessly).  Series sort of fucked up a number of things this last season, but still feel better overall about how they have established the plot compared to the books.  The characters are way better and less unrealistically retarded.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 10:20:07 AM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #4871 on: August 25, 2016, 04:22:21 PM

The books stopped be subtle or clever a few ago.  I mean, it's fun to read, but its pulp over the top shit now (that meanders very needlessly).  Series sort of fucked up a number of things this last season, but still fill better overall about how they have established the plot compared to the books.  The characters are way better and less unrealistically retarded.

The books did Dorn better, the north better, and well i can't think of any plot line the tv show did better. Maybe they took out the meandering, plus one for accomplishing that.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #4872 on: August 25, 2016, 04:25:11 PM

People bitching about season 6 because it actually moved the plot forward.  This is why we can't have nice things.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4873 on: August 25, 2016, 04:35:24 PM

The books stopped be subtle or clever a few ago.  I mean, it's fun to read, but its pulp over the top shit now (that meanders very needlessly).  Series sort of fucked up a number of things this last season, but still fill better overall about how they have established the plot compared to the books.  The characters are way better and less unrealistically retarded.

The books did Dorn better, the north better, and well i can't think of any plot line the tv show did better. Maybe they took out the meandering, plus one for accomplishing that.
Dorne in the books was awful, slow and pointless. Dorne in the show gave us Hypnoboobs.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #4874 on: August 25, 2016, 05:01:49 PM

Dorne in the books was awful, slow and pointless. Dorne in the show gave us Hypnoboobs.

Yes Dorne sucked. But not tv show sucked. Like say characters sucked and written to be epic failures at life. But half intentional half unintentional. TV show dorne actually wants to not suck and does. hard, in every category with Michael bay in the background shouting from a mountain of mountain dew that this shits awesome.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #4875 on: August 25, 2016, 05:42:25 PM

Dorne in the tv show was bad, but at least it was short and didn't appear in the most recent season at all but for the first episode, I think.  Dorne in the books wasn't as bad, but it droned on far too long and will continue to in the next book if it's ever written.

If you're going to give me uninteresting plot diversions that go nowhere at least make them quick, like taking off a band-aid.  I prefer the tv version.  Just like pretty much everything else over the past two seasons.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #4876 on: August 25, 2016, 05:51:25 PM

You think you won't see more dorne? Haha.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #4877 on: August 25, 2016, 07:15:41 PM

No kidding; Dorne is going to be ~1/3 of the plot next season.

King's Landing/ Midlands - Jamie, Cersi, Baelish, Arya(?), The Hound

Da Norf - Sansa, Jon, Baelish, Arya

Dorne - Sneks, Dany, Tyrion, Varys, Dragons, The Greyjoys, Olenna

Oldtown - Sam. Maybe one or two episodes, maybe more.

Hell, Dorne has over half of the plot-important characters at this point. We've got to resolve the Iron Islands stuff, Dany and other fan-favorites are there. There's going to be a LOT of Dorne.

The most you can hope for is fewer Sneks.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4878 on: August 25, 2016, 07:45:55 PM

But more HypnoBoobs.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4879 on: August 25, 2016, 08:18:49 PM

I forgot Dany and crew are going to Dorne. Fuck.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #4880 on: August 25, 2016, 11:02:59 PM

Does it snow in Dorne in winters?
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #4881 on: August 26, 2016, 12:16:34 AM

In book lore, snows usually reach the riverlands.

Winter in Dorne is thought to involve the shitty overcast weather HBO always seem to have got when filming Dorne in s5 and 6.

But it is reasonable to expect this winter to worse.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #4882 on: August 26, 2016, 10:03:43 AM

People bitching about season 6 because it actually moved the plot forward.  This is why we can't have nice things.

I like the overall plot edit. I just don't like the way the show has become way too Hollywood in its direction and screenplay (I guess this comes with success).
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #4883 on: August 26, 2016, 06:37:03 PM

I forgot Dany and crew are going to Dorne. Fuck.

Based on the last shot I think they already swung by and picked everyone up. I think there will be Dorne characters but nothing in actual Dorne.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #4884 on: August 26, 2016, 07:06:27 PM

Da Norf - Sansa, Jon, Baelish, Arya

You forgot a holy $#%$#% @#$!! ton of zombies

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #4885 on: August 29, 2016, 01:50:29 PM

Assuming the books do end up going to a ghost writer I'd be amazed if it was Sanderson. Firstly he's got more than enough on his plate with his Cosmere series, he's a different author now to when he took over the Wheel of Time. Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, he is pretty much the polar opposite of GRRM as an author. His stories feature little or no sex, no swearing, and they de-emphasise gore in violence. He also tends far closer to traditional high fantasy tropes. Trying to imagine Sanderson writing a character like the Hound is pretty challenging. I've been watching his BYU Writing Lectures recently (worth a watch for an interesting look behind the scenes of the fantasy writing business) and he rarely uses Game of Thrones as a reference, and the comments I recall him making on the series were generally polite but implying that he doesn't see much in common between them as authors. I like them both, but they are about as different as it comes.

I think a historical fiction author like Conn Iggulden would arguably be a better fit. Since those guys have to immerse themselves in a predefined canon (history) any time they write adopting the ASOIAF canon might not be the biggest stretch.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #4886 on: August 29, 2016, 04:20:05 PM

Meanwhile in the real world, Melisandre had a real baby with Guy Pearce.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #4887 on: August 30, 2016, 03:41:33 AM

Who is the guy who wrote the recent Cicero trilogy? If we're doing fantasy authors who aren't GRRM I'd have him do it.

Iggulden is a little too hollywood for my taste. My suspension of disbelief didn't survive the first of his Julius Caesar books.

All that said, I have a very strong suspicion the book is more or less written, but Martin is trying to edit his own work. This is never wise.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 01:37:02 PM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4888 on: August 30, 2016, 03:55:07 PM

Martin might finish Winds of Winter but I'd bet against him finishing whatever book 7's called.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #4889 on: August 30, 2016, 10:38:23 PM

I'm not sure I even see the point of him finishing, honestly.  GoT is now a ingrained part of pop culture, almost entirely because of the TV show.  If he deviates at all, he'll get crucified.  It seems like a no-win situation to me.  He should just sit back on his huge ass and keep eating all the trans-fatty foodstuffs while collecting the sweet, sweet royalties.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #4890 on: August 31, 2016, 08:31:58 AM

I'm not sure I even see the point of him finishing, honestly.  GoT is now a ingrained part of pop culture, almost entirely because of the TV show.  If he deviates at all, he'll get crucified.  It seems like a no-win situation to me.  He should just sit back on his huge ass and keep eating all the trans-fatty foodstuffs while collecting the sweet, sweet royalties.
No offense, but that is idiotic claptrap unworthy of even F13.  That is like saying Marvel should stop writing comics. 

The books are different.  Both the show and the books are great in their own way, but I am eagerly looking forward to seeing how the books unfold, enjoying his writing and seeing how the story differs from the screen.  The next GoT book may or may not sell as well as prior books, but it will still sell an insane number of copies and be a huge best seller. 

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #4891 on: September 01, 2016, 12:45:11 AM

You just compared GoT to comic books.  Um, okay bro.

I am saying there is no huge upside for him.  It will sell tons and he'll get money (does he need it?  No idea.) and he will be utterly crucified by the legions of dorks who will cry foul if he does not follow the script.  GoT is one of the rare exceptions to the rule where the screen version is generally superior to the written material.  This all started with him providing the outline for the show to follow, and the show proved they could do it faster and better, for the most part.  Now it is the TV show that dictates the course.  It is his own damn fault for being a giant slug.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #4892 on: September 01, 2016, 01:19:13 AM

GoT is entirely comparable to comic books, and the rest of your post is so wrong that you have me posting that I agree with jgsugden.

It is more far more likely that the internet will complain that  the books follow the show too closely, and anyway GRRM has no reason to care because for anyone to make that complaint they will already have to have bought the damn book.

You can of course choose either version for your own personal head canon. But the idea that nerds will choose show over book en masse and then be offended that they continue to be different is so insane that you are probably trolling.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #4893 on: September 01, 2016, 05:55:03 AM

No, there will be enough people who choose the show over the book and get bitchy about it. It's the internet and it's just what people on it do. The internet is a generic outrage machine, after all.

People on the internet, by and large, put too much emphasis on what the internet thinks at all. Nobody in meatspace really gives a fuck. We've seen it time and again, lots of internet froth and fervor.. nothing in meatspace. The same will happen with book vs. show when the next book releases in 2019.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #4894 on: September 01, 2016, 11:00:18 AM

My theory of life: 'the Internet makes everything better and everything worse'

Looking forward to reading the books once the TV show finishes. Here's hoping his heart lasts that long. Anyone else hoping that he's actually writing both book 6 and 7 and they'll be released after each of the next seasons?

On another note, especially for non book readers, I highly recommend Earworm's Hardcore Game of Thrones podcast series. Basically a history of Westeros done in Dan Carlin's Hardcore History style from the first men to present times.  Certainly increases your understanding of what's going on 200 percent.

Mac
Terracotta Army

Reply #4895 on: September 01, 2016, 12:15:24 PM

Dorne sucks yes, but if you are ever near Seville, go visit the Alcázar where they filmed the palace scenes. It's amazing.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #4896 on: September 01, 2016, 01:52:55 PM

Yeah I was there 2 years ago, really something. The rest of the city too.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #4897 on: September 02, 2016, 04:04:32 PM

The books are going to sell by the boatload - why should he care what neckbearded nerds say on fucking reddit?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #4898 on: September 08, 2016, 02:26:16 PM

Because my opinions matter, dammit!
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #4899 on: September 08, 2016, 07:16:35 PM

I think the TV show without the books will be a different experience. Previously you had people who had read the books chattering away on the internet to explain what the fuck was actually going on, so lots of back story was constantly being filled in, and people were able to extend their watching experiences into interesting discussions online. Now the TV series will have to stand alone. It probably has the legs to do that at this point, but it will be somewhat different.

Hic sunt dracones.
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  
Jump to: